PDA

View Full Version : Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Dog Toffee
29-09-2011, 03:28 PM
About time this kid had his own thread I think. To me, there's a 16 Y.O 'Rooneyesque' quality to him, a quality that so many of Wengers kids haven't had. That physical strength (He looks similar to Baptista, 'The Beast' IMO.) that Theo, Vela, Chamakh etc.. havent got, he just seems ready to play in the PL regularly, and immediately. I don't think he needs much 'bedding in' at all.

That saying 'If your good enough, your old enough' seems just be right for Alex Oxo. And this is just going on what little we've/I've seen from him. Anyone else think he might just be a real success? I know he's had fuck all experience and there's no real evidence yet to show he'll succeed, I just have a gut feeling, and I know others do too, I think he'll be a real quick learner and enter the first team as quick as Wilshere did.

I mean, (disregarding those on GW that think Wengers lost his marbles) spending £12m on a player like Oxo, with only league One experience, suggests a few things-

- Other top teams were in for him/interested too. Why spend £12m if there was no competition?

- Wenger spotted a 'ready now' quality in this kid, (already he's the youngest english player to score a CL goal), after the loss of Fabregas and Nasri the last thing Wenger needed was a kid who needed 2/3 years PL experience to be ready, and IMO Oxo will be in the first team regularly by X-mas.

- He has that eye for goal quality that many of our attacking players are missing. He doesn't seem the type to pass when he can score (just look at his LC and CL goals) for example, imagine our current team without Van Persie (scary thought.) Where in hell are the goals going to come from? I Think Oxo was bought on the knowledge (Wenger knows remember) that he has goals in him.

It may seem obvious to say, 'yes Oxo will be a first team player sooner or later', because obviously he will, but I think he'll develop much sooner than expected, considering the injuries we get, he'll have the chance.

Discuss...

Özim
29-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Very talented player, it was evident last season so not disappointed we signed him. What you can question though is spending 15 million on a kid when their were more pressing issues, however I'm quite happy with signing him.

The bit about not spending big money if he's not ready now though isn't true, he spent big money on Walcott and he's still nowhere ready 5 years later.

I personally think he can feature heavily this season, due to his age he should be protected a bit as to avoid problems with injuries later in his career, but he's someone who can make the difference when he does play.

Good dribbler, pacey, intelligent footballer and has an eye for goal.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm always wary of these kids who are deemed to be the next big thing.

In reality, there are only a very select few who have had such a big impact from a young age. Rooney, Messi and Cesc off the top of my head, these guys as teenagers were years ahead of their natural development.

Oxo looks like a big talent though and I can't wait to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

I just hate the English hype machine.

dazthegooner
29-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Not seen much of him but he looks the real deal very good prospect but we can't play him too much or we'll get another situation like Wilshire, look at the way Fergie looked after Giggs as a kid probably why he's still playing now!

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I was watching him play last night and it was bugging me, who did he remind me of. It wasn't Rooney - it's Giggs, but Giggs with pace (a thoroughly terrifying and delicious prospect).

The kid's 18 and you can clearly see the enthusiasm he has for football. He seems to play without nerves. It's very evident he has natural talent, very comfortable on the ball, strikes it very well including great delivery from the byline, he's economical and accurate with is passing and he has that special gift granted to only a few, he makes time for himself when he has the ball.

But early days yet. We need to see him up against tougher opposition, we need to see if he can impose himself on a game rather than drift in and out like a string of previous hopefuls at the club. Fingers crossed he starts against the spuds, that'll be a proper test considering we'll have much less of the ball.

Easily the most exciting player I've seen at Arsenal since Henry arrived. Jack's a fine player too and will go on to captain his country if we don't fuck him up beforehand, but he's not a pacey striker who will get you out of your seat with a flash of brilliance. I can see that sort of talent in Oxo already. For me he's way ahead of Walcott on his way to becoming the finished article. It's hard not to think he's been brought in to replace Theo who has failed to realise his potential. So yes, you have to hand it to Wenger or whoever spotted Oxo, they may well have finally unearthed a gem.

I hope he's not injury prone like the rest of our lambs.

Syn
29-09-2011, 04:30 PM
"FFS Wenger pissing away £12m on an unproven kid again..."

He has a high ceiling - whether we're likely to help him realise his potential is debatable. I hope he continues to run forward whenever he has the ball and doesn't feel the need to pass in-field to RVP like everyone else.

Power n Glory
29-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Most exciting player since Henry?

You wasn’t excited by the arrival of Reyes and when he banged in those two goals against Chelsea?

Arsahvin’s arrival and first few months? Nasri? Theo when he first arrived and everyone was desperate to see him play? The Cup final goal against Chelsea? RVP when he first arrived? Cesc? Rosciky? Knowing we had him signed and then seeing that World Cup scorcher?

We’ve had a plenty of players that have looked dangerous and had everyone excited. I find it hard to believe this is the only one you’ve been excited about.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Considering Henry was a bit shit when we got him as well, i doubt he was really excited by it

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 04:36 PM
"FFS Wenger pissing away £12m on an unproven kid again..."

He has a high ceiling - whether we're likely to help him realise his potential is debatable. I hope he continues to run forward whenever he has the ball and doesn't feel the need to pass in-field to RVP like everyone else.

It's understandable that mostly everyone has lost faith in Wenger's ability to bring in genuine talent, it happens so rarely these days. But this deal looks good so far. The £12mill will hurt if we start hearing stuff about 22 week injury lay-offs though. Got to keep him fit, which means asking Diaby to stay at home on training days (if Diaby ever makes it back from whatever it is he's been doing for months).

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Most exciting player since Henry?

You wasn’t excited by the arrival of Reyes and when he banged in those two goals against Chelsea?

Arsahvin’s arrival and first few months? Nasri? Theo when he first arrived and everyone was desperate to see him play? The Cup final goal against Chelsea? RVP when he first arrived? Cesc? Rosciky? Knowing we had him signed and then seeing that World Cup scorcher?

We’ve had a plenty of players that have looked dangerous and had everyone excited. I find it hard to believe this is the only one you’ve been excited about.

Yeah but I didn't say he was the ONLY player I've been excited about, I said he's the most exciting I've seen. Yep, the others you mentioned were all good too and even Walcott had that "can't wait to see him play" factor. I freely admit I wasn't bothered one way or the other about Oxo being here, thought he was another one of Wenger's pet projects. But having seen him play I've 100% changed my mind. With Wilshere gone my interest now turns to this kid to see what he can do.

Dog Toffee
29-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I'l admit, when I first heard we spent £12m on a kid again, I was furious, genuinely. I thought we really needed a late twenty-something with experience, but maybe Wenger's proven me and others wrong on this one. In fact, when I first heard of this signing I was very confused. I thought we needed proven talent immediately, and given Wenger is (shit, Ive forgotten 67/68/69? YO) I thought he didnt have time for anothert expensive project. But, hell its early days but already Oxo-face looks ready for PL football. Would anyone play him in the derby this Sunday?

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 04:52 PM
We're in a nice either/ or situation with Oxo and Walcott, a real rarity. Let Walcott run the legs out of them and then send Oxo on, or do it the other way around. I'd definitely involve him because he's very evidently on form. A lot will depend on the central midfielders being able to get the ball of course.

Boss
29-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Looks a great prospect and should probably be starting soon ahead of Walcott but some of the jizzing in this thread are way OTT.

Dog Toffee
29-09-2011, 05:28 PM
So he should be starting ahead of Walcott in the first team (given Walcotts a first team player), but the reaction about him is OTT? That doesn't make any sense considering he's come from nowhere and now should 'probably should be starting ahead of Walcott'. All jizzing about Oxo-face chamberz is very warranted.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Looks a great prospect and should probably be starting soon ahead of Walcott but some of the jizzing in this thread are way OTT.

Lean times, if we get a chance to jizz over something happening at Arsenal then let's open the floodgates. Still plenty of stuff to be depressed about once the deluge recedes.

GP
29-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Great prospect, great signing.

Wenger :bow:

Master Splinter
29-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Great prospect, great signing.

Wenger :bow:

:gp:

Coached him into making an instant CL impact.

2 goals in 2 starts.

Great coaching by Wenger.

Wenger :bow:.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2011, 06:55 PM
:gp:

Coached him into making an instant CL impact.

2 goals in 2 starts.

Great coaching by Wenger.

Wenger :bow:.

Arsenal, unbeaten in the CL when Wenger is banished to the stands.

Master Splinter
29-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Arsenal, unbeaten in the CL when Wenger is banished to the stands.

Exactly: another great decision by Wenger to get himself sent to the stands.

Wenger :bow: sacrificing himself for the good of Arsenal.

Cripps_orig
29-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Exactly: another great decision by Wenger to get himself sent to the stands.

Wenger :bow: sacrificing himself for the good of Arsenal.

Lets hope so

Power n Glory
29-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah but I didn't say he was the ONLY player I've been excited about, I said he's the most exciting I've seen. Yep, the others you mentioned were all good too and even Walcott had that "can't wait to see him play" factor. I freely admit I wasn't bothered one way or the other about Oxo being here, thought he was another one of Wenger's pet projects. But having seen him play I've 100% changed my mind. With Wilshere gone my interest now turns to this kid to see what he can do.

Reyes gets my vote. He came at the right time, made a heck of an impression and we paid a huge fee for him so the level of excitement was sky high. When he banged in those goals against Chelsea then had a great start to the season, I thought he was the future of Arsenal. That all changed quickly.

Arshavin gets 2nd for the vote. It was a drawn out transfer window but we finally got our man and he turned our season upside down. How the might have fallen!

The Ox looks decent but it's still early days. Was impressed with him for the second half of the Carling Cup but he wasn't as good the other day. Still raw so I'm going to hold off from saying he's ready for the Prem. It's only been two games.

Dog Toffee
30-09-2011, 03:16 PM
True, just two games, but thats kinda the point, just two game (two goals) and he looks ready. If we have injuries/suspensions in his position on Sunday I'd play him.

fakeyank
30-09-2011, 05:16 PM
True, just two games, but thats kinda the point, just two game (two goals) and he looks ready. If we have injuries/suspensions in his position on Sunday I'd play him.

I dont think it'd be a good idea to get a youngster and destroy his mind when we get mauled by the cunts! His confidence will never recover..

Power n Glory
30-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, it's fitting that I should mention Arshavin and Reyes. We won't know if he's ready until he's played a full season. Most people on here were impressed with Chamakh when he first arrived. :lol: Doesn't take much for folks to get excited on here. Ox looks like the real deal but we've seen too many players hailed as the 'next' so and so but it's always too early for this talk. Diaby was once the next Vieira when he first arrived and he looked bloody good, the kid was talented. But you can never truly tell when it's this early. Plus it's a lot of pressure on the kid.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't think there can be any doubt Ox in the new Henry.

Flavs
07-10-2011, 07:36 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15209008.stm

International hat trick last night, hell if he can score against shit teams get him in the starting 11 for Stoke

Özim
07-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Just goes to show that if you're good enough you're old enough, the guy is delivering even though he's not had much experience and that's because he's quality.

We've got a number of players who still get chances several years down the line because of some pipedream they'll one day become any good.

Syn
07-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/iceland-u21-england-u21-highlights-uk-only-15518035/

Good run for the third.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Just goes to show that if you're good enough you're old enough, the guy is delivering even though he's not had much experience and that's because he's quality.

We've got a number of players who still get chances several years down the line because of some pipedream they'll one day become any good.

good post.......should be given a chance..........no chance of him lowing himselfout like Jack cos we probably wont be in the running for anything come the turn of the year........(sorry MOC didnt say that!)

Kano
07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

walcott done the same for u21 too

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 11:48 AM
i remember a game where theo came on for the u21;s v germany i think, scored 2 henry-esque goals and was wetting myself over him. oxo though seems to have a better brain and awareness. still early to call but oxo seems like a real MF/Winger whereas theo just doesnt have the nous to play there. so oxo is square peg in square hole, theo is square peg in round hole. amazing how players can look good played in their correct positions eh, who wouldve thunk that!

Coney
07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
i remember a game where theo came on for the u21;s v germany i think, scored 2 henry-esque goals and was wetting myself over him. oxo though seems to have a better brain and awareness. still early to call but oxo seems like a real MF/Winger whereas theo just doesnt have the nous to play there. so oxo is square peg in square hole, theo is square peg in round hole. amazing how players can look good played in their correct positions eh, who wouldve thunk that!

Oxo on the wing with Theo playing striker running in just behind RvP would work, I reckon. Should be able to give most defences a hard time. If Arseshavings gets his shit together, we have a decent attack.

Niall_Quinn
07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Great composure for the second goal. How many players would have hurried that and scooped it over? I can think of quite a few in the Arsenal starting line-up, for a start. You can just tell from the way this kid plays he's the real deal. I just hope we don't move him to central defence.

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
oxo-----rvp----5head

Theo

this is how i would play it. as RVP says, he is a 9 and hlf as they say in holland. so let him have the floating role ala bergkamp and keep theo where he can do the most damage

Flavs
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Great composure for the second goal. How many players would have hurried that and scooped it over? I can think of quite a few in the Arsenal starting line-up, for a start. You can just tell from the way this kid plays he's the real deal. I just hope we don't move him to central defence.

We need cover at right back...

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
theo meant to be the focal striker there btw, dunno why it moved him after posting the message!

Flavs
07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
oxo-----rvp----5head

Theo

this is how i would play it. as RVP says, he is a 9 and hlf as they say in holland. so let him have the floating role ala bergkamp and keep theo where he can do the most damage

you want us to play 4 up front?

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
4-2-3-1

song and jack as the sitters in front of the back 4 and the front 4 as i said

man u will play anderson and fletcher holding with nani on one flank, young on the other, rooney floating behind hernandes.

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
gives more protection to the defense. allows rvp to come deep as he normally does.

Flavs
07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
man u will play

See that's where you are falling down son, they have a tactically adept manager.

I_Killed_Kenny
07-10-2011, 01:08 PM
See that's where you are falling down son, they have a tactically adept manager.

soz, my bad! forgot i am a gooner there for a sec!

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2011, 01:38 PM
love how everyone is bigging him uo now only a few months ago he was some non talent from league 2 who we spent to much on

fakeyank
07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
love how everyone is bigging him uo now only a few months ago he was some non talent from league 2 who we spent to much on

He is being 'bigged up' because our current starting XI are worse than poo! He looks promising and should be given a chance. Is he going to save our season? No.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
He is being 'bigged up' because our current starting XI are worse than poo! He looks promising and should be given a chance. Is he going to save our season? No.

oh i agree he is a talent just saying how fickle fans can be tbh. id love him to start more games tbh.

Özim
07-10-2011, 06:35 PM
If you'd seen him against Man U last season you wouldn't have said that, it was clear he was a talent...whether he was ready for top level football was debatable but his talent wasn't.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-10-2011, 07:26 PM
If you'd seen him against Man U last season you wouldn't have said that, it was clear he was a talent...whether he was ready for top level football was debatable but his talent wasn't.

i have always had faith in him and was never bothered we bought him like most were but now they all go on like they were all for the signing at the start. he is potential and he looks good. so for now its a good but but who knows how he will be in 2 years.

Xhaka Can’t
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
i have always had faith in him and was never bothered we bought him like most were but now they all go on like they were all for the signing at the start. he is potential and he looks good. so for now its a good but but who knows how he will be in 2 years.

Playing well alongside Nasri.

Cripps_orig
19-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Gone a bit quiet on the Oxface front recently.

I havent been paying much attention to Arsenal since the last CL game. How'd he do in the league games between? Spuds, Sunderland and anyone else we might have played

Marc Overmars
19-10-2011, 03:36 PM
He's not played since the CL game.

Wenger the WUM. :rolleyes:

Cripps_orig
19-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Injured?

If not then Wenger needs to fuck off tbh

Even if he was injured, Wenger still needs to fuck off

Win/win tbh

Marc Overmars
19-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Not heard of any injury. He scored a hatty for the U21's the other week but has been left out of the last 3 squads including tonight.

Master Splinter
19-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Great WUMming.

Arsene WUMger :bow:.

Ach could learn a thing or nine.

Cripps_orig
19-10-2011, 03:56 PM
What exactly is Wenger being a WUM about? :unsure:

Master Splinter
19-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Winding up people on a large scale in the real world by being maddeningly contrary?

Sorry if the words were too big.

Olivier's xmas twist
20-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Injured?

If not then Wenger needs to fuck off tbh
Even if he was injured, Wenger still needs to fuck offWin/win tbh

So does your face

LDG
20-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Charlie :rose:

Olivier's xmas twist
20-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Charlie :rose:

:thumbsdown:

selassie
20-10-2011, 01:17 PM
What's up with OX? He's not been anywhere near the squad recently which is a surprise given the poor form of Theo, Arshy & to a lesser extent Gervinho.

Cripps_orig
20-10-2011, 01:31 PM
What's up with OX? He's not been anywhere near the squad recently which is a surprise given the poor form of Theo, Arshy & to a lesser extent Gervinho.

We'll see him on Tuesday

Özim
20-10-2011, 06:52 PM
He's got a mickey mouse manager that doesn't reward good performances.

He's done well in his games and yet doesn't get near the 1st team, there's some other players who haven't performed for months and yet play regularly, that's the trouble with mickey mouse managers, they don't have a clue what they're doing.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-10-2011, 01:58 PM
He's got a mickey mouse manager that doesn't reward good performances.

He's done well in his games and yet doesn't get near the 1st team, there's some other players who haven't performed for months and yet play regularly, that's the trouble with mickey mouse managers, they don't have a clue what they're doing.

when has that ever been the way with this club.

Özim
24-10-2011, 02:01 PM
when has that ever been the way with this club.
When has it been the way to give players who perform 1st team opportunities?

It kinda depends on who they are, some players have got away with shoddy performances for a long time before finally being dropped. Don't really understand the logic of not playing players who perform well, I can understand not overplaying a young player, but he's hardly played so a few games here and there wouldn't go amiss, seems an exciting player.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-10-2011, 02:56 PM
When has it been the way to give players who perform 1st team opportunities?

It kinda depends on who they are, some players have got away with shoddy performances for a long time before finally being dropped. Don't really understand the logic of not playing players who perform well, I can understand not overplaying a young player, but he's hardly played so a few games here and there wouldn't go amiss, seems an exciting player.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying i have never seen it down before tbh.

Dog Toffee
06-12-2011, 04:25 PM
'The Ox' will probably start tonight, after being probably our best player against City what can we expect tonight? a Goal and a good performance me thinks. When will we see him in the first team in PL games? When Walcott or Gervinho are out? This kids looks potentially brilliant, looking forward to seeing him tonight.

tigerthesmurf85
06-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Have been to all the Carling Cup games this season and there is definitely something special about this kid. He brings excitement to the fans that most players don't. I'm glad to see Wenger using him sparingly though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/881814-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-rifles-four-back-to-back-screamers-in-england-u21-training

Ollie the Optimist
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
i think wenger is doing it right at the moment. using him when he can to get used to it, carling cup and CL and a few sub appearences. why break up a winning formula which is what rvp, gerv and theo are? lets break him gently and use him fully in jan when gerv goes to ACON (i think he is)

tigerthesmurf85
06-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree. Plus the last thing we want is him thinking he's the finished article.