PDA

View Full Version : What has to happen for Wenger to get the sack

Fats
02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Clearly now its obvious to anyone that has followed us for years that Wengers best years are well behind him.

He has been backed by the club the board and the fans for years but its been six seasons now without assembling a side worthy of winning anything worthwhile.

His project youth which was undertaken due to the new stadium being built has imploded. The players that had stuck by the club and the manager have questioned Wengers ability and ambition to a point where we have lost influential players with more unwilling to enter contract negotiations.

It seems the long term ambition of the manager and board are so removed from the fans that they have backed the manager regardless of results.

It also seems Wenger can live off past glories when in most peoples views this time has already been spent.

Many fans, former players and tacticians have pinpointed the continuing issues with the team that go unaddressed season after season.

Wenger has panic bought and changed tactics in the 7 league games played this season but the same issues that have plagued the side for years are only getting worse.

7 in and 4 lost is going to take some turning around and with the fans loss of faith in the manager to do so the question begs

what has to happen foe Wenger to get the sack?

gunnerrrrr
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
we stop going to the home games en mass

Marc Overmars
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I think he will be gone at the end of this season when/if we miss out on CL football.

That's always been the groundwork of his case for the defence. Ohhh, 4th is a trophy in this country. It is a remarkable achievement. Blah blah blah.

Without that what does he have? Not a lot.

Fats
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Wont make any difference.

The board and Wenger have already stated that when the stadium is not full it is due to the poor financial state not the poor football.

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Wenger will go if he chooses it or if a new owner and board comes in. Under this current owner and board there is no chance of him being sacked.

Marc Overmars
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Wont make any difference.

The board and Wenger have already stated that when the stadium is not full it is due to the poor financial state not the poor football.

I noticed another game has been put on general sale. The next game vs Sunderland.

Syn
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
No European football (including the UEFA cup) - what's that, lower than 7th?...that's the least it will take. It wouldn't surprise me if he kept on going for another few years even with mid-table finishes. The board seem to have absolutely no intention of getting rid of him despite the last 20 or so league games.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Nothing, but a horrid season might see him walk. In truth we don't know what the board are thinking. They could be lining up a replacement as we speak. deffo think Aw will walk soon. if we get hammered by a city or chavs it might be over for him by xmas. but i think by the ned of the season he will go.

Cripps_orig
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
I think Gazidis said that only the fans can make Wenger go.

Any ideas on what we can do to make it happen?

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I think Gazidis said that only the fans can make Wenger go.

Any ideas on what we can do to make it happen?

Yes, do everything we can to get rid of Gazidis and the rest of the cunts that large it up in millionaire row.

Cripps_orig
02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Yes, do everything we can to get rid of Gazidis and the rest of the cunts that large it up in millionaire row.

Get rid of both Wenger and the board but if one had to go then Wenger surely. For all of the boards faults, they dont have anything to do with our shiteness on the pitch.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Get rid of both Wenger and the board but if one had to go then Wenger surely. For all of the boards faults, they dont have anything to do with our shiteness on the pitch.

Yes they do, they backed the manager when he bought them or knew he was. why did they no put their foots down. its ok their making money so fuck it, if they cared then so would the manager.

Cripps_orig
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes they do, they backed the manager when he bought them or knew he was. why did they no put their foots down. its ok their making money so fuck it, if they cared then so would the manager.

I blame Wenger for everything on the pitch

I blame the board for letting Wenger get away with it

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

How can anyone say that??? Today we had Arteta in the middle instead of Cesc and Nasri. We had Mertesacker up front by the end. Do you really think Wenger is this unrealistic mad guy who wants to see us tumbling down the league rather than spend the money required to avoid this ongoing collapse and instead compete at the top? If you believe it's as simple as that and we have a board that rings Wenger for permission every time they want to do something then fine, you will believe a simple change of manager is the priority. But what is the point of sacking the captain of the Titanic when it is realised there aren't enough lifeboats? Maybe the captain fucks up and leaves half the boats empty, so he;s responsible for that. But who holds the primary responsibility?

The greedy cunts who wanted high values bums on seats.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I blame Wenger for everything on the pitch

I blame the board for letting Wenger get away with it

I blame them both if their board had more ambtion them making money we'd be in a better posistion.

gunnerrrrr
02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I blame them both if their board had more ambtion them making money we'd be in a better posistion.
i blame the board more...if they hd insisted that Wenger worries about the football side only, he may have not taken his eye off the ball as much as he has since 2006...

perhaps if the board were not also as stupid and cheap we would not be paying unproven youngsters such high salaries...

perhaps Cole would never have left etc etcv

Gubby Allen
02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Nothing will. Nothing at all. The board have said it ample times. It's up to him when he goes and he's said he's done 14 years and would like to do another 14.

2025. :sulk:

Özim
02-10-2011, 08:10 PM
It would take loads of people not to turn up for months whilst demonstrating outside the stadium with Wenger out banners and chants.

Will never happen of course, too many lemmings will to turn up and get ripped off regardless. The board are probably having a good laugh at them whilst counting their money, drinking Christelle and eating Caviar. :lol:

It's great fans supporting the team and everything, but not when they're treated with such contempt and ignored to this degree.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
2 years of not getting into c.l

1 year isn't enough as we can cope with financial loss. 2 years might be pushing it though.

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
2 years of not getting into c.l

1 year isn't enough as we can cope with financial loss. 2 years might be pushing it though.

You;re forgetting the money that will be banked from the RvP and Wilshere sales, more than enough with a little left over for yachts and AIDS clinic fees.

Marc Overmars
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm really starting to feel as though he will walk at the end of the season. Can't see him being sacked but at the rate the team is going we will struggle to finish in the top 8. At the end of the season, if we have missed out on Europe I don't think he will have many backers left. His position would become pretty untenable if he felt that unwanted. He'd have to have some balls to continue on.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
It would take loads of people not to turn up for months whilst demonstrating outside the stadium with Wenger out banners and chants.

Will never happen of course, too many lemmings will to turn up and get ripped off regardless. The board are probably having a good laugh at them whilst counting their money, drinking Christelle and eating Caviar. :lol:It's great fans supporting the team and everything, but not when they're treated with such contempt and ignored to this degree.

It will never happen because it would be a wasted protest as the board have said they won't sack him. Unless they invite him to resign which they have not said they won't do

selassie
04-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Wenger must be one of the luckiest men in Football, he's the highest paid Manager in the Prem and he gets rewarded for failure.

Scary thing is he can pretty much botch his way through the season and the Board have pretty much confirmed they will still back him? How many managers in world football who win nothing and take their teams backwards can choose when they leave

Nuts....

Flavs
04-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm really starting to feel as though he will walk at the end of the season. Can't see him being sacked but at the rate the team is going we will struggle to finish in the top 8. At the end of the season, if we have missed out on Europe I don't think he will have many backers left. His position would become pretty untenable if he felt that unwanted. He'd have to have some balls to continue on.

Oh i think it would take more balls to leave than to stay, all the noise we hear from our ever more self-delusional board room is that he wont get sacked no matter what, so to stay in a place of no risk and with seemingly no results driven goals is easy, most people would kill for a job like that, especially one with a £6mil a year salary.

I would actually respect him more if he held his hands up and said "you know what its gone shit, so i am going to let someone else have a go. Bye and good luck"

Özim
04-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Wenger must be one of the luckiest men in Football, he's the highest paid Manager in the Prem and he gets rewarded for failure.

Scary thing is he can pretty much botch his way through the season and the Board have pretty much confirmed they will still back him? How many managers in world football who win nothing and take their teams backwards can choose when they leave

Nuts....
Pretty much, when you look at what's happened in recent times and the awful results this season (and some last) it's amazing to see him receive so much backing. I can't remember too many managers afforded such luxuries, especially not whilst earning such big money.

I don't think it's ever healthy to have a manager of a top club being in a position he is in, where's his incentive to succeed, now sure I'm sure he'd like to but it's clear that to him it's not a necessity and isn't his primary objective.

I'm not surprised he turned down Real, he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes there with his views and ways, some clubs demand success others accept failure, I'm not saying we should be winning all the time but we should at least be trying our uppermost to do so, our defeatist attitude is disappointing.

Also that 8-2 result has been swept under the carpet by the board, that was a historical defeat in a sense we've not conceded that many goals or lost by that margin for over a century, the club should be very embarrassed about results like this...sad thing is they don't seem overly concerned.

LDG
04-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Nuts....

Oh come on.

He's won us two doubles, an FA cup, another league title, and is the most successful manager in our history.

Yes. He's past it. But I still believe he's done an excellent job over the past 6 years in some respects. I know people will say "another manager could have done the same job" with regard to his ability to keep us top four over the last 6 years, but there ain't many....because the high spending Spuds, Leeds etc etc, didn't manage it consistently. So, I'm sorry, you have to give him credit for that too.

He is guilty of being stubborn. He is guilty of losing the plot over the last few seasons. He's guilty of not rectifying the same mistakes which have cost us.

He may be lucky to be in a job right now, granted. But I'd rather our club showed a bit of loyalty to someone who has shown us the same over the years. He could have earnt more elsewhere, when things were really good, but stuck with us.

I think it's disgraceful to say he's the luckiest manager. We've been lucky to have had him you know.

His time is coming to an end no doubt. But don't disrespect the guy who showed you some of the best football we'll ever see at the club.

IBK
04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Oh come on.

He's won us two doubles, an FA cup, another league title, and is the most successful manager in our history.

Yes. He's past it. But I still believe he's done an excellent job over the past 6 years in some respects. I know people will say "another manager could have done the same job" with regard to his ability to keep us top four over the last 6 years, but there ain't many....because the high spending Spuds, Leeds etc etc, didn't manage it consistently. So, I'm sorry, you have to give him credit for that too.

He is guilty of being stubborn. He is guilty of losing the plot over the last few seasons. He's guilty of not rectifying the same mistakes which have cost us.

He may be lucky to be in a job right now, granted. But I'd rather our club showed a bit of loyalty to someone who has shown us the same over the years. He could have earnt more elsewhere, when things were really good, but stuck with us.

I think it's disgraceful to say he's the luckiest manager. We've been lucky to have had him you know.

His time is coming to an end no doubt. But don't disrespect the guy who showed you some of the best football we'll ever see at the club.

All true - but our shocking malaise over the past 6 months suggests that he has dropped the ball, and I am worried that sentimentality might end up doing the club more damage. Its a crying shame that Wenger's legacy had to be tarnished like this...

Power n Glory
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
The way people judge Wenger isn’t fair.

Was just replying to a criticism of Ancelotti on another thread and because of the blip he had with Chelsea, his whole managerial achievements are called into question.

Shouldn’t the same scrutiny be applied to Wenger? He hasn’t won the league since 2004. He’s never won a major European Trophy and he’s probably lost more cup finals than he’s actually won, or it’s very close.

You take all this into consideration and how we’re losing, it’s got to cast a dark shadow over his career.

LDG
04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
All true - but our shocking malaise over the past 6 months suggests that he has dropped the ball, and I am worried that sentimentality might end up doing the club more damage. Its a crying shame that Wenger's legacy had to be tarnished like this...

Dude, I didn't say that I think we should be giving the benefit of the doubt. I do think his time is up. I just don't believe he has it in him to turn the club around. He needs to go somewhere else and start a fresh. Just like our club needs a fresh change. He's still a top top manager. One of the best IMO, but he's gone stale.

That doesn't mean that the barrage of hate being thrown at him is deserved. I think it's disgusting that some people on here are being so disrespectful to someone who has also brought us such joy. It's been an absolute pleasure watching AW's teams over the years. It's been testing of late, but even last year we witnessed (until February at least) some good football, and some really exciting results.

I just think some on here are spoilt. By all means point the finger at the obvious. By all means bemoan the balls up we've made the last six months. But to treat our most successful manager EVER with such venom an hate, is not acceptable.

IBK
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
The way people judge Wenger isn’t fair.

Was just replying to a criticism of Ancelotti on another thread and because of the blip he had with Chelsea, his whole managerial achievements are called into question.

Shouldn’t the same scrutiny be applied to Wenger? He hasn’t won the league since 2004. He’s never won a major European Trophy and he’s probably lost more cup finals than he’s actually won, or it’s very close.

You take all this into consideration and how we’re losing, it’s got to cast a dark shadow over his career.

IMO if you are going to be praised for your successes, and Wenger has enjoyed a great deal of praise, then you deserve to be criticised for your mistakes. Wenger is tarnishing his own legacy by making such obvious mistakes, yet behaving like he is untouchable. Football moves very, very fast these days, and 2004 seems like a lifetime away.

IBK
04-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Dude, I didn't say that I think we should be giving the benefit of the doubt. I do think his time is up. I just don't believe he has it in him to turn the club around. He needs to go somewhere else and start a fresh. Just like our club needs a fresh change. He's still a top top manager. One of the best IMO, but he's gone stale.

That doesn't mean that the barrage of hate being thrown at him is deserved. I think it's disgusting that some people on here are being so disrespectful to someone who has also brought us such joy. It's been an absolute pleasure watching AW's teams over the years. It's been testing of late, but even last year we witnessed (until February at least) some good football, and some really exciting results.

I just think some on here are spoilt. By all means point the finger at the obvious. By all means bemoan the balls up we've made the last six months. But to treat our most successful manager EVER with such venom an hate, is not acceptable.

I hear ya, fella. I too think he deserves a bit more respect. Personally, the emotion I feel is a mixture of real sadness and near embarrassment for the figure of fun that Wenger is rapidly becoming in the wider football world. His achievements deserve better than the balls up he is making for himself.

dazthegooner
04-10-2011, 10:02 AM

:gp:

Yep some supporters probably were not even born during the early 80's when Terry Niel was manager finishing midtable every year.

selassie
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh come on.

LDG,

Look I appreciate what he has done and respect the fact that he's our most successful manager but he's a relic now, his methods are outdated and IMHO I don't think he's the right man for the job. In any industry if you're not producing the results you don't deserve credit, it doesn't matter what has happened in the past it matters what is happening now

IMHO, Wenger was doing a fairly good job until 07/08, after that I think he's to a degree lost his way and not focused on pushing the team enough.

In this recent period, I respect that economically he's done a great job for the club, respect the fact that he's nurtured some great young talents and has built some very good teams who play attractive football but over the past few years he's taken us backwards. His record in the market over the past few seasons has been nothing short of a disaster, I really have no idea what he's been doing and why he's been doing it.

Right now the facts are that the club is in a mess from a footballing point of view, this mess has been caused by Arsene there's no getting away from that.

My post has nothing to do with disrespect, it's more to do with the fact I do think he's lucky to be in his job earning such a huge amount when he's made mistake after mistake.

selassie
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
:gp:

Yep some supporters probably were not even born during the early 80's when Terry Niel was manager finishing midtable every year.

Huh, I was a season ticket holder in the Don Howe days so spare me the glory supporter bit.