PDA

View Full Version : International Break... perfect time to train the fuck out of our back four?

bagwan
04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
A lot of our old players seem to be talking about our defensive frailties, and how the only way we can solve the problem is through endless training.

Obviously Sagna is out for a while. Vermaelen is back soon, Koscielny, Djourou and Squillaci should be available before him. I imagine Santos, Gibbs, and Jenkinson won't have been called away, and Szechny has pulled out due to a 'back injury' I dunno what's going on with Mertesacker but Wenger should just tell the geezer to pull out.

With two weeks before our next game and pretty much our whole defence staying behind at London Colney, seemingly due to injuries. Would now be the time to get them all out on the training field and learn how to fucking defend?

Get Keown, Dixon, Seaman in, reminisce about the good old days, when we could actually defend.

Cripps_orig
04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
A lot of our old players seem to be talking about our defensive frailties, and how the only way we can solve the problem is through endless training.

Obviously Sagna is out for a while. Vermaelen is back soon, Koscielny, Djourou and Squillaci should be available before him. I imagine Santos, Gibbs, and Jenkinson won't have been called away, and Szechny has pulled out due to a 'back injury' I dunno what's going on with Mertesacker but Wenger should just tell the geezer to pull out.

With two weeks before our next game and pretty much our whole defence staying behind at London Colney, seemingly due to injuries. Would now be the time to get them all out on the training field and learn how to fucking defend?

Get Keown, Dixon, Seaman in, reminisce about the good old days, when we could actually defend.

:lol:

He was due to be back for Sunderland but thats been set back and no doubt the set back will be set back again a few more times

Basically hes out for the season

Olivier's xmas twist
04-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Can these 3 be coached they seem to shite to be tbh

Özim
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
:lol:

He was due to be back for Sunderland but thats been set back and no doubt the set back will be set back again a few more times

Basically hes out for the season
He's 2% away from being out for 2 weeks.

Niall_Quinn
04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Forget about Vermaelen and Wilshere this season, they're gone. Vermaelen's not even an Arsenal player any more in the true sense of the word - he never plays. Forget about getting anything consistent out of Djourou, Koscielny or Squillaci - they don't have the ability or the resolve. They'll cost us more points than they save. Mertesacker is too new for us to know if he'll develop into a strong PL defender. Sagna's gone.

Gibbs is an injury waiting to happen - I'd say Jenkinson and Santos will play a lot more games this season than anyone (bar an Arsenal fan with bitter experience) could possibly have guessed. Looks like Song will be spending a lot of his time in the centre of defence too.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Forget about Vermaelen and Wilshere this season, they're gone. Vermaelen's not even an Arsenal player any more in the true sense of the word - he never plays. Forget about getting anything consistent out of Djourou, Koscielny or Squillaci - they don't have the ability or the resolve. They'll cost us more points than they save. Mertesacker is too new for us to know if he'll develop into a strong PL defender. Sagna's gone.

Gibbs is an injury waiting to happen - I'd say Jenkinson and Santos will play a lot more games this season than anyone (bar an Arsenal fan with bitter experience) could possibly have guessed. Looks like Song will be spending a lot of his time in the centre of defence too.

You forgort Diaby who seems to be down and out like always. had Vermalen ever played a full season for us tbh.

Master Splinter
04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
You forgort Diaby who seems to be down and out like always. had Vermalen ever played a full season for us tbh.

Diaby isn't a defender.

The worst thing about Vermaelen being out is that everytime he plays he shows how much he is missed.

I'm also expecting Mertesacker to come back with a season-ending injury.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Diaby isn't a defender.

The worst thing about Vermaelen being out is that everytime he plays he shows how much he is missed.

I'm also expecting Mertesacker to come back with a season-ending injury.

Neither is wilshere but he was mentioned

Master Splinter
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Well let's just agree that Diaby is pretty pointless then, even if he's on the pitch.

gunnerrrrr
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
A - Play Diaby in an attacking position and he will be a beast....much better than Rosicky, Ramsey, Arteta....by a long long way...Injuries remain his biggest issue. Also now no Cesc he will see more of the ball and hopefully show what he can do.

B - Pat Rice trained the fcuk out of our original back five - Seaman, Dixon, Adams etc so we have someone who does know what they are doing, its a communication issue and this stupid fucking high line we play that exposes the fuck out of us.....so we need to change this compression of play philosophy that Wenger has...

Olivier's xmas twist
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
A - Play Diaby in an attacking position and he will be a beast....much better than Rosicky, Ramsey, Arteta....by a long long way...Injuries remain his biggest issue. Also now no Cesc he will see more of the ball and hopefully show what he can do.

B - Pat Rice trained the fcuk out of our original back five - Seaman, Dixon, Adams etc so we have someone who does know what they are doing, its a communication issue and this stupid fucking high line we play that exposes the fuck out of us.....so we need to change this compression of play philosophy that Wenger has...

Its eveident that its the way we play thats the problem. It don't matter who we bring in because their best skills will be coached out of them in a short time which is weird its like they get brainwashed as soon as they get here. Something needs to be done to sure up the defence. buying the best Defense in the world would not solve our problems at all.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Good post

I agree with point A, I know that 99% of you guys bwkieve Diaby to be shite on legs, and I agree that he isnt what I would have deemed Arsenal quality (I say 'would have' because the bar has lowered a lot recently!) but I have seen some almost PaddyV moments from this guy, and considering the state of things I would put him ahead of Ramsey, begs the question were we right to ship Lansbury?

Answer to my own question, wouldnt have fucking matteted had we picked up Parker. . .for me one of the shockets of our summer not getting Parket, especially when it was evident we werent picking anyone half decent up :doh:

Fats
05-10-2011, 06:40 AM
At least when they are away they probably get proper coaching

IBK
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Did you know we pay Diaby more than Spurs play Modric. £60K+ per week for never playing, and even on those rare moments he does playing like he has had a lobotomy half the time.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Did you know we pay Diaby more than Spurs play Modric. £60K+ per week for never playing, and even on those rare moments he does playing like he has had a lobotomy half the time.

Shocking if true never thought he got more then 30k A week 40 at the most.

Good post

I agree with point A, I know that 99% of you guys bwkieve Diaby to be shite on legs, and I agree that he isnt what I would have deemed Arsenal quality (I say 'would have' because the bar has lowered a lot recently!) but I have seen some almost PaddyV moments from this guy, and considering the state of things I would put him ahead of Ramsey, begs the question were we right to ship Lansbury?Answer to my own question, wouldnt have fucking matteted had we picked up Parker. . .for me one of the shockets of our summer not getting Parket, especially when it was evident we werent picking anyone half decent up :doh:

Diaby is injured and won't play many more games this season. As for where we right to ship Lansbury, yes the kids needs games and playing for west ham will make him better, and we can recall him if needed. I think Shipping Bendtner and Vela even Denilson could have been bigger mistakes. they would have made us no worse then we are now.

Flavs
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Abou is the one player i have a soft spot for in our current squad wierdly, shame that Sunderland prick ruined his career really

dazthegooner
05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Abou is the one player i have a soft spot for in our current squad wierdly, shame that Sunderland prick ruined his career really

:gp: Couldn't agree more think he would have been massive for us apart from his enforced injury!

fakeyank
05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Abou is the one player i have a hard spot for in our current squad wierdly, shame that Sunderland prick ruined his career really

:sick:

Boss
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Diaby's still a moron, don't think the injury affected him as much as people on here want to believe.

Tipsychubbs
05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
It's ridiculous because even post injury we've seen him play some blinders. He is talented. But he's so inconsistent and can't be relied on even when fit; one minute he'll look like a world-beater, like he did in that free-role away at Old Trafford, they couldn't handle him (the one where we dominated the game and then hit the self-destruct button with the penalty and OG), then the next he'll act as if he doesn't have a brain.

With the defence, I think its clear things have gone too far and we are now an embarrassment. We had an international break last time, nothing changed. How many years have we been complaining about this? It doesn't matter who the personnel is, our whole shape as a team off the ball is unorganized and all over the place, our relationship between midfield and defence hardly exists, the idea of the back four and the midfield playing as a defensive unit with awareness and hard work is not being coached to them. It is all attack-attack-attack-express-yourselves-freely-beautiful-tippy-tappy football, not balanced with the unglamourous defensive hard work off the ball.

It won't change until we have a manger who understands and drills the team, how to defend as a team.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
It's ridiculous because even post injury we've seen him play some blinders. He is talented. But he's so inconsistent and can't be relied on even when fit; one minute he'll look like a world-beater, like he did in that free-role away at Old Trafford, they couldn't handle him (the one where we dominated the game and then hit the self-destruct button with the penalty and OG), then the next he'll act as if he doesn't have a brain.

:gp:

I agree the lad is not Consistant thats his problem. By now he should be the full package. Not sure how his Injury affected him same applies to Ramsey tbh. Like you said with diaby he can be wonderful and fuck up in 2 minutes. Like the CL game against barca in the nou camp the season before last. Where he did good for our 1st goal. then had the chance to help make it 2-0 but choose the wrong pass.