16-10-2011, 02:25 PM
A win!

We are still a major project in progress

fakeyank
16-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Top 10 :scarf:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm ordering in some horse placenta for RVP.

Master Splinter
RVP :bow:.

Joker :haha:.

hymppi
3 points in the bag.
we'd be relegated if we didn't have rvp. :lol:
give him all the gold in the world.

server too busy!
16-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Arshavin and Rosicky awesome, what happened!

KESSLER
RvP :bow:

Much improved 2nd half after the pathetic ending to the 1st.

Good performances from Song, Arshavin when he came on and Rosicky in flashes.

fakeyank
3 points in the bag.
we'd be relegated if we didn't have rvp. :lol:
give him all the gold in the world.

City will be giving him that next summer

Marc Overmars
16-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I always said during the Henry days that whilst he was an immense figure, there were still plenty of other 'go to' guys in the team. Now however I feel we are a very ordinary team with one extraordinary player. It's scary how limited we are if RVP isn't on it.

Anyway, a much needed 3 points. I'm sure it will be another close game vs Stoke next week, lets hope RVP has another gem up his sleeve.

RVP. :bow:

Sign him up.

Joker
16-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Pathetic performance from most of the players. If we play like that against any half decent side, we'll lose and lose well. However, no doubt this win will paper over the cracks that exist in this team, and you'll get the AKB's getting all smug and claiming "I told you so".

Asthmatic Kitty
16-10-2011, 02:30 PM
arshavin has to start the next game in place of walcott!

song was a beast defensively, and nice to have mertesacker to get his noggin on the long balls they punted into our area at the end.

rosicky also deserves a lot of credit, provided some real energy going forward - who knew he could run that fast!

oh yeah, and rvp. he was pretty good.

edit: let rvp take every free kick from now on please. no more walcott.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 02:30 PM
RVP, Song, Arshavin and Rosicky were our best players. Great skill and heart shown from each of them. RVP stole the show. Another goal with his right foot and wonderful freekick...at last.

Maestro
16-10-2011, 02:31 PM
It is sheer managerial incompetence to continue starting Arteta and Theo

Well done RVP, Rosicky, Arshy ...made an effort to create something and continued to plug away

3 points needed, 3 points won. Onwards we go, inspite of our incompetent manager

Globalgunner
16-10-2011, 02:31 PM
truth be told we are 1 excellent keeper and 1 outstanding striker away from being bottom of the league but today we got the win. Some players are still laughably poor, Walcott, Rosicky are irredeemably poor. They are not worth their own weight in horse crap.

bignev
16-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Good performance from RVP, Rosicky, Arshavin and Schehekfgkjgfhgdh. Song was good defensively but his passing was awful. Theo was utterly useless. God knows why he wasn't subbed. Arteta was non-existent.

We are a mid table side now. We have one quality player and that's it.

Still 3 points which is all that matters.

Syn
16-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I thought it was a good performance - on the front foot for most of the match, and could easily have won by more had things gone a little more our way. Arshavin's brilliant run and shot just wide, Van Persie hitting the inside of the post. We were in danger of tailing off a bit after 65 mins but Arshavin did very well to take us up a gear.

Van Persie made the difference but I thought Rosicky put in a very strong performance - showed great character with his drives forward and ambitious passing when heads around were starting to drop.

I would be tempted to try Gervinho on the right and Arshavin on the left...Arshavin has been showing signs of getting back to his best this season.

fakeyank
16-10-2011, 02:34 PM
truth be told we are 1 excellent keeper and 1 outstanding striker away from being bottom of the league but today we got the win. Some players are still laughably poor, Walcott, Rosicky are irredeemably poor. They are not worth their own weight in horse crap.

I am not a Rosicky fan and there is enough testament of that but he was good today. I was surprised he was subbed but Israel did a good job in his place as well

Joker
16-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Exactly, if RVP gets injured (which is likely) and Chesney can't continue with his heroics (and everyone will suffer a dip in form) we'll be in huge trouble. The other players are not pulling their weight, and if these cowards don't step up we'll languish in mid table for the rest of the season at best.

hymppi
16-10-2011, 02:35 PM
i thought rosicky played rather well.

fakeyank
16-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Exactly, if RVP gets injured (which is likely) and Chesney can't continue with his heroics (and everyone will suffer a dip in form) we'll be in huge trouble. The other players are not pulling their weight, and if these cowards don't step up we'll languish in mid table for the rest of the season at best.

We are aiming mid-table this season. Next season when RVP signs a new contract and with super quality players that we sign, we will win the PL

milla
16-10-2011, 02:36 PM
It is sheer managerial incompetence to continue starting Arteta and Theo

Well done RVP, Rosicky, Arshy ...made an effort to create something and contunued to plug away

3 points needed, 3 points won. Onwards we go, inspite of our incompetent manager

:gp:

Theo and Arteta dont deserve to be on the first team. Theo is not just bad going forward but he has this tendency of making a lot of bad back passes to his defenders. Get LeCoq and Arshavin on the first eleven and we will see more dynamic team. :coffee:

Marc Overmars
16-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Thought Jenkinson had a decent game. Hopefully he can show the sort of consistency we expect from Sagna.

Joker
We are aiming mid-table this season. Next season when RVP signs a new contract and with super quality players that we sign, we will win the PL

:lol: That line by Wenger about "super quality" sounds even more ridiculous now, given how mediocre Arteta's looking at the moment, and with Metersacker and Santos not pulling up any trees either.

GP
Robin :bow:

What a legend

GP
16-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Thought Jenkinson had a decent game. Hopefully he can show the sort of consistency we expect from Sagna.

Yeah he's a real talent. Santos is a huge upgrade on Gibbs too.

McNamara That Ghost...
:lol: That line by Wenger about "super quality" sounds even more ridiculous now, given how mediocre Arteta's looking at the moment, and with Metersacker and Santos not pulling up any trees either.

Mertesacker and Santos were quite good. Both win the ball back a lot.

Maestro
Chezza

Jenkers Merters Kozza Santos

Oxo Song Rosicky Gervinho

Arshavin

RVP

Theo, Ramsey & Arteta, have had enough starts but have not in my opinion justified a continued run in the side. They need to be on the bench or it will cost us games.

GP
16-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Yep

notwist
16-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Total pants, but a win is a win.

Marc Overmars
16-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Merts once again looked gangly as fuck but his reading of the game is spot on. He's not easy on the eye but he's effective and god knows that's what we've needed from someone at the back.

Merts. :bow:

Germans. :bow:

Oh what the hell..

RVP. :bow:

Maestro
16-10-2011, 02:41 PM

For a young kid with no experience at this level, I think he is doing well ...too bad he had to be thrown in like that but hope he continues to improve.

gunnerrrrr
16-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Robin is world class...he is so far ahead of the other players we have its almost embarrassing.
Russia qualify for the Euros = Asharvin has his mojo back,, he looked awesome and correct me if i am wrong was he playing off RVP?
Song is getting closer and closer to becoming a truly class footballer.
Per did a good job, and Gervhinio first half looked tricky and threatening, and his football was not half bad either.

Theo - fcuk me this guy is playing some shit football

Now Mr Wenger surely you can give Ryo, Oxo and Park a chance.

PS....that was the Rosicky i remember from 2008

Lots of positives to work on, and this is still without Wilshire, Diaby and Veermalean...guess things can get better after all...

Ollie the Optimist
16-10-2011, 02:44 PM
as well as robin did, we owe that win to a moment of genius and a world class save from chesney. without that we wouldnt have won

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Don't worry City are top the league that should please you. You can't even admit you were wrong about RVP and give him the praise he desrves today.

Marc Overmars
16-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Theo ever thinks to himself, 'fucking hell I need to get out of this team'

Not suited to his game at all.

I don't think he was bad today. But that's by default as he rarely got on the ball. He normally has 1 or 2 games a month where he can stretch teams but given how compact we make games, he's almost redundant at lot of the time.

Syn
16-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Russia qualify for the Euros = Asharvin has his mojo back,, he looked awesome and correct me if i am wrong was he playing off RVP?

I think he started off as a straight swap for Gervinho on the left. Then we was throwing the kitchen sink so Arshavin was moving about all over the place including wide right.

His best position is on the left. Gervinho is playing decent on the left. I also think Walcott would be good on the left. We haven't got many players who can play well on the right but I really can't work out why we're not trying Oxo there. He might not be brilliant but he seems busy enough to get involved more and cause problems for defenders. Theo can't take anyone on from the right side.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Good win, RVP was immense and led from the front like a captain should tbh, Arshavin was good, as was merts and Kos and having song back in the middle showed us what we were missing. Jenkinson i have to say the boy did good tbh, its good to see a defender of ours who knows the basics. its his inexprience that lets him down a bit.

Hopefully when TV5 comes back he can guide him.

Master Splinter
16-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Ju :lol:.

Should have signed for Lille.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Ju :lol:.

Should have signed for Lille.

Meh the shirts are rolling in he is getting paid its all good lol

Joker
16-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Don't worry City are top the league that should please you. You can't even admit you were wrong about RVP and give him the praise he desrves today.

Don't you start as well. I'll give RVP credit today, he's saved our backsides and deserves praise of course. I've voted him MOTM today, and did the same against Bolton as well when he played well.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Been impressed with those two. They should be starters.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:27 PM
We won. . . .and because of that I will rest my happy head. . . .there is no doubt that we are playing games as if we are trying to wade through mud.

Ches was massive with his save as if we had gone a goal down we may have never made it back and a very different tone would have been set.
Saying that Robin was a monster and there is little doubt we are half the team without him, I mean who would play up front if he wadnt around. (Would it be crazy to show some real interest in Tevez, rumours have people looking for Citeh to drop their price to 20 mil, must go in for him, sell Chamak and Bedtner for 19 each and we have the funds!)

Other mentions go to Arshavin who looked like he meant what he said earlier in the week, I would like to see him play off RvP rather than wide, last time he started he was crap tho out wide. . .Jenko needs to work on his defending but his crossing was good.

Merts was OK, the freekick went over him and he was jumping :-0

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Been impressed with those two. They should be starters.

Santos should start, seems he has got an idea to the pace of the league after his mare and second half shut down against B'burn

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Theo ever thinks to himself, 'fucking hell I need to get out of this team'

I don't think he was bad today. But that's by default as he rarely got on the ball. He normally has 1 or 2 games a month where he can stretch teams but given how compact we make games, he's almost redundant at lot of the time.

Theo was hardly in the game but the he screwed up on the chances he had to do something. He shouldn't be starting games if he plays like that. He depends on service and that's all he was looking for in most of the games. When he was on the ball, he was piss poor. Wenger has to put him up front or keep him out on the left.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:32 PM

There are so many times that it is clear he is so not a winger.
Its frustrating because he is not a bad player, we dont play to his strengths because we dont give him much to run on to. . . .

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I said before Ches made a massive save, which he did but I would hope he studies the game because he did have a couple of mad moments, the rush out the area and a very lax clearance near the end.

Cant have that when we have candidates for the Kos Stone Kops in front of him. . . .Cerms and Merts could be a very strong partnership, to his credit Kos kept out of trouble today

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 03:38 PM
There are so many times that it is clear he is so not a winger.Its frustrating because he is not a bad player, we dont play to his strengths because we dont give him much to run on to. . . .

Its not clear if he is a striker because his shooting at times is woeful, he deffo is a frustating player maybe he won't be what we all want but will play his part when he can.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Shout out to Song. He's better than Arteta. Ball distribution, dribbling, energy, positioning and making himself available for the pass (a sign of intelligence), he should be playing the distribution anchor man type role. The role Cesc used to play back in the old days where he was all over the pitch conducting play.

Was also impressed with Rosicky ad well. Those two in the middle works. Throw Wilshere in and it looks even better. Arteta and Ramsey have no business playing in the first team. Passenegere that give away the ball cheaply and in dangerous areas. Arteta can't even turn on the ball if he's under pressure from a defender. Rosicky was turning his man all day and Song had the strength to hold them off and the feet to turn them. His technique is underrated.

Bad performances from some but some hopeful ones as well.

Syn
16-10-2011, 03:44 PM
to his credit Kos kept out of trouble today

A very underrated performer today. I see what were, in my view, average performances by Song and Jenkinson being praised but Kos made a lot of strong, quick interceptions. It's true that Sunderland offered little but Kos was cleaning up well to help us keep momentum.

Agree with Szczesny - had a howler that went unpunished because Song covered well. He has his mad moments but I wouldn't say he has many more than other keepers out there. The job of the goalkeeper is to be decisive; very occasionally you'll get it wrong and will need help from your defence. In the last 3-4 seasons, our goalkeepers have cost us a lot more points than they've saved us. There's no doubt that by the end of the season, Szczesny will have saved us far more points than he will cost us.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Its not clear if he is a striker because his shooting at times is woeful, he deffo is a frustating player maybe he won't be what we all want but will play his part when he can.

His finishes outweigh the misses and his off the ball movement is superior to his dribbling skills. He has no business on the wing. Awful performance today.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 03:47 PM
A very underrated performer today. I see what were, in my view, average performances by Song and Jenkinson being praised but Kos made a lot of strong, quick interceptions. It's true that Sunderland offered little but Kos was cleaning up well to help us keep momentum.

Agree with Szczesny - had a howler that went unpunished because Song covered well. He has his mad moments but I wouldn't say he has many more than other keepers out there. The job of the goalkeeper is to be decisive; very occasionally you'll get it wrong and will need help from your defence. In the last 3-4 seasons, our goalkeepers have cost us a lot more points than they've saved us. There's no doubt that by the end of the season, Szczesny will have saved us far more points than he will cost us.

I thought Song was one our best players. Came on strong in the second half and kept the middle ticking when others disappeared or made silly errors that could have cost us.

Syn
16-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I thought Song was one our best players. Came on strong in the second half and kept the middle ticking when others disappeared or made silly errors that could have cost us.

I thought he did his defensive bit well (although he was perhaps tiring in the second half and not covering quick enough) but far too many loose balls when he had it in good positions. Showed some drive though. Probably a bit better than average, in fairness. I guess his job wasn't helped by Arteta not really getting into the game.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Shout out to Song. He's better than Arteta. Ball distribution, dribbling, energy, positioning and making himself available for the pass (a sign of intelligence), he should be playing the distribution anchor man type role. The role Cesc used to play back in the old days where he was all over the pitch conducting play.

Was also impressed with Rosicky ad well. Those two in the middle works. Throw Wilshere in and it looks even better. Arteta and Ramsey have no business playing in the first team. Passenegere that give away the ball cheaply and in dangerous areas. Arteta can't even turn on the ball if he's under pressure from a defender. Rosicky was turning his man all day and Song had the strength to hold them off and the feet to turn them. His technique is underrated.

Bad performances from some but some hopeful ones as well.

I agree with that assessment based on todays game. . . .Song just needs to cut out his mad moments. . . .for ecample his attempt at a head lock bear the end of the game, the ref could have quite easily blown for that and at worst Song would have received second yellow, stupid on a scale of the stamp on Barton especially considering the balance of the game. Not sure if his passing is of a constant quality to take a Cesc like mantle. . .

which is why we need more from Areta, who probably needs more to happen in front of him, unfortunately still getting used to a system that no longer suits the team because it isnt technically gifted enough to play it.

Rosicky now needs to put in more similar performamces before we get excited, no Ramsey was a bonus, he should go bsck yo the drawing board. . . .the CC squad awaits

Coney
16-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Total pants, but a win is a win.

Pretty much what they said about manu yesterday for their draw - they were mediocre but salvaged the point. Of course, if that had been the Arsenal doing the same as manu, the doom-sayers would be calling for Wenger's head as usual.

There was some unlucky stuff though - RvP's chip that hit the post and all but went in. On another day, that was 2 up and cruising. With a run of reasonable luck and a few wins, I think the team can get their heads up and start performing.

GP
16-10-2011, 03:55 PM

I'd hope is was more like 'fucking hell, i'm lucky to be here. Must try harder'

Japan Shaking All Over
16-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Pretty much what they said about manu yesterday for their draw - they were mediocre but salvaged the point. Of course, if that had been the Arsenal doing the same as manu, the doom-sayers would be calling for Wenger's head as usual.

There was some unlucky stuff though - RvP's chip that hit the post and all but went in. On another day, that was 2 up and cruising. With a run of reasonable luck and a few wins, I think the team can get their heads up and start performing.

Yes, a win 3 points and 2 points gained on a rival for fourth Liverpool. . .see what happens with Scum!

Syn
16-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree with that assessment based on todays game. . . .Song just needs to cut out his mad moments. . . .for ecample his attempt at a head lock bear the end of the game, the ref could have quite easily blown for that and at worst Song would have received second yellow, stupid on a scale of the stamp on Barton especially considering the balance of the game. Not sure if his passing is of a constant quality to take a Cesc like mantle. . .

There was also a moment where Song pulled back one of their players on a break (just before our first sub, I think...maybe second) - Webb played advantage but I was convinced it was a clear yellow (which would've been his second). After that, he had the moment you're talking about. He was at best worth 1.5 yellows and at worst worth 3. Needs to be more careful.

Power n Glory
16-10-2011, 04:01 PM

which is why we need more from Areta, who probably needs more to happen in front of him, unfortunately still getting used to a system that no longer suits the team because it isnt technically gifted enough to play it.

Rosicky now needs to put in more similar performamces before we get excited, no Ramsey was a bonus, he should go bsck yo the drawing board. . . .the CC squad awaits

I don't expect Song to play the killer balls, just be the player that looks to make himself available at all times and the link between attack and defence. Saw too many occasions where he's forwards and Arteta is just not even looking to make himself available for a pass from the defence which meant Merts and Kozza were having to try to make long passes or Rosicky was dropping deep to collect the ball. Arteta is out of his depth. Song shouldn't be so far towards up field. He's better at holding and making runs from deep if needed. He has no problem taking the ball from the defence and getting it forwards to attackers. He's more than a holding player he can easily play the old Vieira role. He had the lungs and can make the basic passes.

Coney
16-10-2011, 04:02 PM
There was also a moment where Song pulled back one of their players on a break (just before our first sub, I think...maybe second) - Webb played advantage but I was convinced it was a clear yellow (which would've been his second). After that, he had the moment you're talking about. He was at best worth 1.5 yellows and at worst worth 3. Needs to be more careful.

Same as Rio Ferdinand yesterday then, who should also have had a second yellow. Scraping wins, we are looking more like manu every day. ;)

Niall_Quinn
16-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Same with a couple of mackems though, Vaughan(?) and Brown should have gone. That's Song though, all heart, no brains. He's going to make a difference when he plays, one way or another. He was strong today, need more of that against the stoke scum next time.

Syn
16-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Same with a couple of mackems though, Vaughan(?) and Brown should have gone. That's Song though, all heart, no brains. He's going to make a difference when he plays, one way or another. He was strong today, need more of that against the stoke scum next time.

Yeah, definitely. Brown had a few that went unpunished.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 04:25 PM
His finishes outweigh the misses and his off the ball movement is superior to his dribbling skills. He has no business on the wing. Awful performance today.

Yeah i suppose so. Really think if we could get Henry/or DN10 back to train with him and help him play well as a striker we'd see much better from him.

Also feel he needs to man up and put the effort in.

Xhaka Can’t
16-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Pathetic performance from most of the players.

Pathetic performance from your face.

selassie
16-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I didn't see todays game but it looks like Robin saved us again.

A win is a win and we got the much needed 3 points, I still think top 4 is too big a ask at the moment, the Sc*m are too far ahead of us and have a game in hand.

Xhaka Can’t
16-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Coney, Coney, Coney. Someone pulled you up on this before. When you are defending champions, you buy yourself a bit of credit for when you put in the occasional poor shift. When you haven't won anything for six years and regularly underperform, you don't.

Xhaka Can’t
16-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd hope is was more like 'fucking hell, i'm lucky to be here. Must try harder'

This.

Coney
16-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Coney, Coney, Coney. Someone pulled you up on this before. When you are defending champions, you buy yourself a bit of credit for when you put in the occasional poor shift. When you haven't won anything for six years and regularly underperform, you don't.

:) Should have posted it in the mindless optimism thread? ;)

Sure = you are basically right, but manu do a lot of games like this, not just the odd one. They seem to make it happen more often than we do, though. I guess I am sick of the constant negative posts. I know just as well as anyone else that we are struggling for form but some of the negativity needs countering, otherwise we might just as well pack up and go home.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Sure = you are basically right, but manu do a lot of games like this, not just the odd one. They seem to make it happen more often than we do, though. I guess I am sick of the constant negative posts. I know just as well as anyone else that we are struggling for form but some of the negativity needs countering, otherwise we might just as well pack up and go home.

This problem is people don't want to give it a chance its too easy to be negative all the time. to easy for the likes of Joker/Zimm to only pop up when things are bad or have a go every week.

For me this season is a write of for me because i think we will finsish 4th-7th so not expecting much in the league but in the cups think once the season goes on we could do well even win one.

Letters
16-10-2011, 09:38 PM
A win is a win and we got the much needed 3 points, I still think top 4 is too big a ask at the moment, the Sc*m are too far ahead of us and have a game in hand.

Stop being ridiculous. They're 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand. In October.

It was a decent performance at times today, worrying at others. We wobbled a bit again but we got the points.
People are pushing the panic button way too early. We're not looking that good a side this year but it's early days, a few wins and things change quickly.

Ollie the Optimist
16-10-2011, 09:57 PM
W. Sczeczny is hilarious. "It's not a good save, it's a poor finish, he's 3 yards out".

Chesney the ultimate wum :bow:

Coney
16-10-2011, 10:11 PM
MOTD showing the table. Finally we appear when they show the top half. Onwards and upwards. :scarf:

Marc Overmars
16-10-2011, 10:26 PM
W. Sczeczny is hilarious. "It's not a good save, it's a poor finish, he's 3 yards out".

Chesney the ultimate wum :bow:

He's fucking awesome.

Deserves a better defence in front of him.

Xhaka Can’t
16-10-2011, 10:35 PM
He's fucking awesome.

He has a defence in front of him?

Olivier's xmas twist
16-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Stop being ridiculous. They're 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand. In October.

It was a decent performance at times today, worrying at others. We wobbled a bit again but we got the points.
People are pushing the panic button way too early. We're not looking that good a side this year but it's early days, a few wins and things change quickly.

exactly, The likes of newcastle will soon loost games and be stuggling again. Its onwards and upwards for us.

Master Splinter
17-10-2011, 02:19 AM

Your skull deserves a better face.

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Motherfu...

Grebbo
17-10-2011, 07:40 AM
RVP is great.

Our defending is scary.

How shit is Arteta?!

Going to be a long and painful season.

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Vinger will respect RVP's decision if he decides not to sign a new deal. According to a snippet I heard on SSN earlier.

Özim
17-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Vinger will respect RVP's decision if he decides not to sign a new deal. According to a snippet I heard on SSN earlier.
He doesn't really have any choice really, in the end he's not giving RVP anything to stay for.

As for the match didn't see it, a win is a win Sunderland are hardly Barcelona though, they currently lie 4th from bottom they're an average team we managed to beat at home.

Still managed to concede what I hard was a good goal from Larsson (turning out to be decent shame we let him go), once again RVP scores out goals can't say he's not doing his bit.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 08:49 AM
This

:unsure:
:scarf:
:faint:
:doh:
:)
:scarf:

Japan Shaking All Over
17-10-2011, 08:54 AM

You're right! Without doubt there is plenty we could beat ourselves up about but as I said when someone said on the match thread that RvP's are an advertisement to Citeh, 'Lets just enjoy the moment'.
There arr a few that write as if losing equals our gain as ultimately such results will lead to the sacking of Wenger, although possibly correct in assumption but call me 'old fashioned' I find it difficult to believe that true fans can make themselves come across that way.
Now dont get me wrong, it is not the argument that a change in management might serve us better, it is those almost wishing a loss to befall us on order for that change to occur.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:16 AM
People being negative after a win :lol:

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Arshavin and Rosicky awesome, what happened!

This, how the hell Walcott starts games over the little Russian i will never know. Yes Andrei only plays for 10 minutes a game but that's 9 and a half more than Theo, who basically is a passenger and a spectator to the rest of the team, he is so dissapointing.

I said earlier in the season that Rosicky had been outstanding, every time i see him he seems to get fitter, faster and more bloody cheeky. Don't understand why he was bought off for Benayoun rather than sticking Ju on for Walcott but there you go.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Oh and just to mention that Koscielny was excellent again today.

Letters
17-10-2011, 09:26 AM
This, how the hell Walcott starts games over the little Russian i will never know. Yes Andrei only plays for 10 minutes a game but that's 9 and a half more than Theo, who basically is a passenger and a spectator to the rest of the team, he is so dissapointing.

It's not that Walcott played badly yesterday, it's more that he didn't play at all. There were a couple of decent moments from him but overall he didn't do anywhere near enough, just didn't get involved in the game. Disappointing, he can do better.

I thought Jenkinson looked good yesterday. Mertesacker was clumsy a couple of times and gave away silly free kicks by barging into the back of people needlessly.

Overall we're 4 points off 5th place, we're not looking great but it's early days and a couple of wins can drastically change the table and raise confident levels. We're too reliant on RvP for goals right now though.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Mertesacker was clumsy a couple of times and gave away silly free kicks by barging into the back of people needlessly.

The Meatpacker just didn't seem to learn that if he was going to bump Sessegnon he was hitting the floor, must of happened 4 or 5 times. You would think such an experienced player would learn.

Walcott has become a waste of time, even if you aren't in form you compensate by working hard to help the "team" he doesn't even do that. 3 separate occasions yesterday his own team mates were bollocking him for standing still. The one time he got a clean run at Richardson he ran straight into him FFS :doh:

GP
17-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Really impressed with Gervinho.

Jenkinson too. Loads of potential there.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Really impressed with Gervinho.

Jenkinson too. Loads of potential there.

A full back who can cross :bow:

If Chamakh were playing yesterday he would of scored a couple IMO

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 09:36 AM
It's good to see Arshavin and Rosicky looking like threats again. There has to be an alternative to RVP somewhere, we created precious little in the 2nd half and need to improve there. The game was certainly heading for a draw if RVP hadn't scored that beaut and I think it's time others took a bit of responsibility.

Tougher tasks than Sunderland along the way but I've given up expecting performances to be at a level expected in the past, we need results now and lots of them.

LDG
17-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Thought practically everybody played well. Only think slightly lacking we more penetration upfront, but aside from that, not bad at all.

Sunderland, whilst going through a bad patch, aren't a bad side, and showed that by closing up the gaps from 30 mins onwards.

A lot of our poor form is down to confidence, and I thought the senior players banished some of that with more determination. Perhaps they're finally stopping feeling sorry for themselves, and actually trying to do something about it.

Still a bit loose at the back, but there were signs with Merts and Kos that they're getting to know each other better.

Couldn't fault anyone really....though Theo needs to be dropped.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Thought practically everybody played well. Only think slightly lacking we more penetration upfront, but aside from that, not bad at all.

Sunderland, whilst going through a bad patch, aren't a bad side, and showed that by closing up the gaps from 30 mins onwards.

A lot of our poor form is down to confidence, and I thought the senior players banished some of that with more determination. Perhaps they're finally stopping feeling sorry for themselves, and actually trying to do something about it.

Still a bit loose at the back, but there were signs with Merts and Kos that they're getting to know each other better.

Couldn't fault anyone really....though Theo needs to be put down

Corrected that for you

Syn
17-10-2011, 09:56 AM
We should try playing Theo on the left. He's generally only going one way because he's not that keen on cutting in with his left.

It's the same reason Gervinho beats his man quite easily; he's comfortable cutting in or going on the outside (regardless of whether he's right footed or left footed)

Also, I can't work out why Andre Santos isn't starting. The new fat fuck is really good going forward. I'm not sure he can defend but then again nobody can in our team so we're not really losing out on that front. Good attacking full-backs are really underrated in terms of the impact they can have - it can completely transform your attacking threat. Look how many times Jenkinson got the ball in a decent position yesterday. I think Santos and Walcott on the left would be good...so obviously Wenger won't do it just to annoy me.

Power n Glory
17-10-2011, 09:59 AM
We should try playing Theo on the left. He's generally only going one way because he's not that keen on cutting in with his left.

It's the same reason Gervinho beats his man quite easily; he's comfortable cutting in or going on the outside (regardless of whether he's right footed or left footed)

Also, I can't work out why Andre Santos isn't starting. The new fat fuck is really good going forward. I'm not sure he can defend but then again nobody can in our team so we're not really losing out on that front. Good attacking full-backs are really underrated in terms of the impact they can have - it can completely transform your attacking threat. Look how many times Jenkinson got the ball in a decent position yesterday. I think Santos and Walcott on the left would be good...so obviously Wenger won't do it just to annoy me.
I agree. Santos should be starting as well. Stronger and better going forwards.

gunsofashburtongrove
17-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Two of our senior players RVP and Song showed a lot of commitment and intend. We managed to reduce the number of mistakes we committed and few committed were either in inconsequential areas or like the one Jenkinson committed didn't count against us. Jenkison looked really good for me as did some very unfashionable names like Rosicky, Arshavin and Koscielny. Cant think of poor displays today. Walcot might not have been setting the stage on fire but he did afford a lot of space for Jenkinson to get into. Arteta despite of looking anonymous is the best i have seen anyone play in that slot for us

Japan Shaking All Over
17-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Defesively he is a little naive but shit he was playing in a pub league not so many moons ago. . . .looks like he does have a decent cross on him, at least he tries to get one in.

Unfortunately for him there is never any one in the box to get on the end of them.

Totally agree that even though Chamakh isnt flavour of the month, his stock could rise with a few bites at a few of the crosses as he is never going to be a holding striker responsible for bringing others into the game. . . .would greatly benefit from a more direct style. . .never know could even surprise NQ!

Japan Shaking All Over
17-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Santos did start against Blackburn but was dead on his feet early into the second half. . .watched him bring the ball forward and he could hardly break into a trot.

Imagine the one some call 'clueless' Wenger, thought it best to leave him a while longer. . .yesterdays performanance should show he is ready now. . .Must Start

Niall_Quinn
17-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Watching the replay again and there are quite a few positives from this match. Top of the list but tentative, the performance of Arshavin. Is he back? I don't care if he's such a lazy fuck who only performs when there's a major International tournament coming up. If he decides he's going to play then that can only be great news for us. His slalom through the Sunderland defence yesterday was one of those moments I thought was gone, something to get me jumping out of my seat with a big smile on my face.

Please let him be back... the season will be worth it if RvP and Arshavin can keep supplying entertainment like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRxxurh0xg

Also, Rosicky dominated the midfield and ran past his opponents - WTF? Alien abduction and clone job? I don't care, it's great and unexpected to see our more experienced players stepping up and delivering. Can it last beyond one match? If we all think positive thoughts, maybe it will.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 02:16 PM

This and one who knows the basics. good thing about the young lad is he knows the old when in doubt kick it out routine. Its good to have a dender who can clear the ball away instead of paasing it out and us getting cuaght out and conceeding a goal.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Totally agree that even though Chamakh isnt flavour of the month, his stock could rise with a few bites at a few of the crosses as he is never going to be a holding striker responsible for bringing others into the game. . . .would greatly benefit from a more direct style. . .never know could even surprise NQ!

If Wenger doesn't play Chamakh on point with Ryo and Ju on the flanks against Bolton he should be stoned to be fair

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 02:43 PM
If Wenger doesn't play Chamakh on point with Ryo and Ju on the flanks against Bolton he should be stoned to be fair

who?

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Defesively he is a little naive but shit he was playing in a pub league not so many moons ago. . . .looks like he does have a decent cross on him, at least he tries to get one in.

Unfortunately for him there is never any one in the box to get on the end of them.Totally agree that even though Chamakh isnt flavour of the month, his stock could rise with a few bites at a few of the crosses as he is never going to be a holding striker responsible for bringing others into the game. . . .would greatly benefit from a more direct style. . .never know could even surprise NQ!

This where chamakh is needed

Flavs
17-10-2011, 02:45 PM
who?

Ju

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Ju

LOL who's Ju

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 02:54 PM
You're right! Without doubt there is plenty we could beat ourselves up about but as I said when someone said on the match thread that RvP's are an advertisement to Citeh, 'Lets just enjoy the moment'.
There arr a few that write as if losing equals our gain as ultimately such results will lead to the sacking of Wenger, although possibly correct in assumption but call me 'old fashioned' I find it difficult to believe that true fans can make themselves come across that way.
Now dont get me wrong, it is not the argument that a change in management might serve us better, it is those almost wishing a loss to befall us on order for that change to occur.

That would be me. I tried to enjoy the moment when Cesc made great passes, Nasri made those runs, Thierry ran down the touchline.. I did enjoy the moment even though I knew they'd leave but this season has taken the piss literally. I am glad we beat Sunderland because we'd be in the relegation zone but I compare Arsenal to being a top team in Europe, not just England and I hate seeing us scrape points against relegation fodder. I hate seeing our best players leaving time and again every season.

Arsene Wenger has literally sucked any sort of positivity out of the club for me.. I'll still support my club but God I wish the cunt (AW) leaves the club soon. :pray:

Flavs
17-10-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL who's Ju

Never mind ju I am ju are Ju?

Japan Shaking All Over
17-10-2011, 03:04 PM
You knoe the guy who was sacked from the pet hotel for eating the guests

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 03:07 PM
That would be me. I tried to enjoy the moment when Cesc made great passes, Nasri made those runs, Thierry ran down the touchline.. I did enjoy the moment even though I knew they'd leave but this season has taken the piss literally. I am glad we beat Sunderland because we'd be in the relegation zone but I compare Arsenal to being a top team in Europe, not just England and I hate seeing us scrape points against relegation fodder. I hate seeing our best players leaving time and again every season.

Arsene Wenger has literally sucked any sort of positivity out of the club for me.. I'll still support my club but God I wish the cunt (AW) leaves the club soon. :pray:

And if it was not for that cunt you'd not have those moments to savour. End of the day we were not always going to be the top team in europe someday we would have been where we are anyway, its just happend sooner then you or me liked.

There was always going to be a day when spurs finish above us it will happen again one day. Some gooners are spoilt because of where AW took us too. We have never been that glam club known around the world or the club that spent loads even before aw. Like others said had it not been for the Chavs etc getting rich we'd have been alot more dominat in the league.

Japan Shaking All Over
17-10-2011, 03:18 PM

No need to out yourself, I know who I was talkibg about mate but I dont put you down in the group who seem to wish ill on the club in order to get their desire of a Wenger-less Arsenal, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and take a place with that said group if cretins.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 04:58 PM
And if it was not for that cunt you'd not have those moments to savour. End of the day we were not always going to be the top team in europe someday we would have been where we are anyway, its just happend sooner then you or me liked.

There was always going to be a day when spurs finish above us it will happen again one day. Some gooners are spoilt because of where AW took us too. We have never been that glam club known around the world or the club that spent loads even before aw. Like others said had it not been for the Chavs etc getting rich we'd have been alot more dominat in the league.

Why do we have to live in the past? Yes, he WAS good for us but how much longer do we have wait for him to drag us down before we say enough is enough? And I have mentioned this before, the problem is not us NOT SPENDING, the problem is basic school playground errors. AW needs to go NOT for not spending money but because our defense has been terrible for ages, our football has gone from breathtaking to piss taking, players being played out of position.

It is a common thing to bring Chelsea and City into the picture every time. I posted a link showing Man Utd spent an avg 12 million quid a season since 2000. That was way below the mark compared to Chelsea and City... guess what Utd are doing? They won the PL three times in a row, the CL etc. We were the top dogs along with Utd and to an extent Liverpool before Chelsea came into the picture, so why did we lose our way? Answer: Because AW is clueless and more importantly a stubborn prick who will not change his 'youth policy' or his barca lite program.

AW WAS good.. he is like gangrene on AFC now.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 05:05 PM
No need to out yourself, I know who I was talkibg about mate but I dont put you down in the group who seem to wish ill on the club in order to get their desire of a Wenger-less Arsenal, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and take a place with that said group if cretins.

Oh no, I am part of that elite group. I dont want ill on Arsenal but I do not see any other way by which AW is going to get sacked. I asked this question to NQ before... how do we see major change at AFC? Board is happy with AW.. AW is happy being mediocre and the players dont seem to give a fuck other than looking at us like the stepping stone to Madrid, Barca etc! Our 8-2 defeat resulted in major changes to our transfer policy.. you seriously cant tell me that that result was one of the best things to have happened to us!

I do believe that for major changes at our club, we need drastic results and changes. If that means being a cretin, I will be that... and I know I am right as proved by 8-2 result.

Cripps_orig
17-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Good win

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 06:16 PM
That result was awful for us and while it did result in a kick up the arse in the transfer market, I'd say the net effect of that was for us to waste money on panic buys.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 06:25 PM
That result was awful for us and while it did result in a kick up the arse in the transfer market, I'd say the net effect of that was for us to waste money on panic buys.

Panic buys.. yes! Wish the season started early or that game was our 1st game of the season. Unfortunately after that game, we barely had 5-6 days to find players. I do not rate Arteta, Santos, Benayoun a whole lot but I do know that in crunch situations that we will face in Feb/March for Europa league positions, these guys will be a safer bet and calmer influence in the dressing room compared to some youngsters. So yes, we did buy a ton of experience for a change and this wouldnt have happened if we lost 3-1.. we needed that kick up the arse.

All major revolutions or changes in history needed a drastic move before them. 8-2 was the first step and not qualifying for CL next season along with losing countless games this season will hopefully be the final nail in the coffin. Or AW could suddenly find his lost brain cells and become the manager he was in 96 and get us to the top..

Özim
17-10-2011, 06:52 PM
What we saw at the end of the transfer window was panic buying at it's worst, we had all summer to find what we wanted, instead we spend the last couple days buying players because no other options were available to us at that particular time.

Some are not bad players, however we had to "settle" for them rather than signing them because we really felt they would add something significant to the team.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Literally? WTF?

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 07:04 PM
You literally can't say 'literally' if you want to be taken seriously on GW.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Why do we have to live in the past? Yes, he WAS good for us but how much longer do we have wait for him to drag us down before we say enough is enough? And I have mentioned this before, the problem is not us NOT SPENDING, the problem is basic school playground errors. AW needs to go NOT for not spending money but because our defense has been terrible for ages, our football has gone from breathtaking to piss taking, players being played out of position.

It is a common thing to bring Chelsea and City into the picture every time. I posted a link showing Man Utd spent an avg 12 million quid a season since 2000. That was way below the mark compared to Chelsea and City... guess what Utd are doing? They won the PL three times in a row, the CL etc. We were the top dogs along with Utd and to an extent Liverpool before Chelsea came into the picture, so why did we lose our way? Answer: Because AW is clueless and more importantly a stubborn prick who will not change his 'youth policy' or his barca lite program.

AW WAS good.. he is like gangrene on AFC now.

Id wait till the end of the season to see where we finish, don't think we would have one the league even if we spent big or on what we needed. I'm not saying AW is the same man he was 15 years ago.

he has changed and for some reason not for the better but while he is in charge ill back him, if he leaves or gets sacked i won't be too upset either. i think the club and fans alike need to be as one no matter how bad things are.

Letters
17-10-2011, 08:09 PM

All reasonable comments but why the need for disrespect and just plain abuse of AW? He's managed us through our most successful period in living memory and got us playing a style of football I never thought I'd see us play. You're too young to remember some of the football we had to watch when I first started going to games and you're too young to remember when 4th was an achievement rather than a disappointment.

The football isn't so good now, the glory days are over (the rise of the billionare owners IS a factor in that although I agree we could and should be doing more to compete), but there's no call for the abuse or disrespect you post.

I think the argument that Wenger needs to go is pretty strong now, as you say the lack of investment and the frankly baffling decisions make his position weak, even accounting for the good times under him. Being abusive and disrespectful adds nothing to the argument though.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 08:15 PM
All reasonable comments but why the need for disrespect and just plain abuse of AW? He's managed us through our most successful period in living memory and got us playing a style of football I never thought I'd see us play. You're too young to remember some of the football we had to watch when I first started going to games and you're too young to remember when 4th was an achievement rather than a disappointment.

The football isn't so good now, the glory days are over (the rise of the billionare owners IS a factor in that although I agree we could and should be doing more to compete), but there's no call for the abuse or disrespect you post.

I think the argument that Wenger needs to go is pretty strong now, as you say the lack of investment and the frankly baffling decisions make his position weak, even accounting for the good times under him. Being abusive and disrespectful adds nothing to the argument though.

Its not about living in the past at all, its about, fans being spoilt. Thinking we deserves more then we should get.

Power n Glory
17-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Its not about living in the past at all, its about, fans being spoilt. Thinking we deserves more then we should get.

Garbage!

Letters
17-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Well no, we've clearly been spoilt. I've seen us do the double twice, I've seen an unbeaten league season, I've seen us win a sack of trophies, I've seen some amazing football in a style I never dreamed I'd see us play and I've seen a team with Henry and Bergkamp in. The same team!

THAT, is being spoilt. The fans of 99% of clubs will NEVER see that sort of success in their whole lives supporting a club.

That said, we can't live in the past forever and the case for Wenger to be sacked is growing stronger. That doesn't mean we've not been spoilt relative to the experiences of most football fans.

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 08:38 PM

It detracts significantly from the argument.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Garbage!

Not really, can understand manc fans being upset if they go 2 seasons with out a trophy because they are not used to that. They are used to winning and winning well. We on the other hand, have never had that, we have never one back to back titles since i have been watching AFC we won things once in a while or every other year when AW took over.

The only bad thing for Wenger was the Invincibles was that they should have been a few more yeears younger and we may have won more.

Coney
17-10-2011, 08:49 PM
It detracts significantly from the argument.

What a load of fucking crap.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 08:54 PM

Agree with you on the abuse part but I guess thats what he gets for taking the fans for a ride. I mean, how many years can you take these comments:

- We played with a handbrake
- x, y or z is back from injury and he is like a new signing
- we are looking only for super quality players
- we have togetherness, great mental attitude, spirit
- we are 2% away from domination (agreed this was said only once but really!?)
- we lacked a bit of sharpness
- we are in waiting period (again, happened only once but needed a mention)

These are just what comes to mind when you think about him in the last few seasons. If he is taking the piss out of the fans, I think a fair amount of rage/abuse can be directed towards him. My abuse might seem over the top at times but he deserves to be called a c*nt if he thinks the fans are one..

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Not really, can understand manc fans being upset if they go 2 seasons with out a trophy because they are not used to that. They are used to winning and winning well. We on the other hand, have never had that, we have never one back to back titles since i have been watching AFC we won things once in a while or every other year when AW took over.

The only bad thing for Wenger was the Invincibles was that they should have been a few more yeears younger and we may have won more.

Well why should we have an attitude like that? We should demand more.. shouldnt our club aim to be THE best in the world? With attitude like "we cant win every year.. we can come 2nd or 3rd and then may be try a few years later", we are not going to go very far. We should strive to be where Man Utd, Barca are.. rather than look at ourselves and think of us as a second tier club. We have the resources, youth system and the history... why not take it to the next level?

After the unbeaten run, it did look like we could be on top for years to come but the defeat at OT, Mourinho's brilliance and lack of intelligence from AW has meant we have regressed rather than progressed.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Agree with you on the abuse part but I guess thats what he gets for taking the fans for a ride. I mean, how many years can you take these comments:

- We played with a handbrake
- x, y or z is back from injury and he is like a new signing
- we are looking only for super quality players
- we have togetherness, great mental attitude, spirit
- we are 2% away from domination (agreed this was said only once but really!?)
- we lacked a bit of sharpness
- we are in waiting period (again, happened only once but needed a mention)

These are just what comes to mind when you think about him in the last few seasons. If he is taking the piss out of the fans, I think a fair amount of rage/abuse can be directed towards him. My abuse might seem over the top at times but he deserves to be called a c*nt if he thinks the fans are one..

So what should he say the team is shit the board is shit and im shit? We all know the man has a tendancy to say annoying things at time but thats him. End of the day no manager will critisize his team in public when he feels they are down.

end of the day you don't like what he says don't listen.

Letters
17-10-2011, 09:03 PM
he deserves to be called a c*nt if he thinks the fans are one..

I'm sure he doesn't think that. Pretty much all managers talk bollocks, frankly.
Obviously when things aren't going so well people are going to pick up on it more.

If you agree with the abuse part then how about cutting it out, it adds nothing to your arguments and as Gary says if anything it detracts from them by making you look like a stroppy teenager.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 09:08 PM
So what should he say the team is shit the board is shit and im shit? We all know the man has a tendancy to say annoying things at time but thats him. End of the day no manager will critisize his team in public when he feels they are down.

end of the day you don't like what he says don't listen.

I have no choice but to listen to him. He manages my club unfortunately and I have no choice but to listen to him. I am not asking AW to call out the team for being bad... im calling him out for making the team bad, for playing players out of position and having a crap defense and then have the balls to come out and say those things.

Here is how I look at it.. he is doing a terrible job at managing Arsenal and he is doing it with arrogance with the safe knowledge that what he did 7-8 years ago guarantees him this job till he decides to leave it. I call him out for abuse for his arrogance, stubbornness and those comments he makes. I do understand where some of you might think its unjustified, I however think it is very justified.. difference in opinion.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Well why should we have an attitude like that? We should demand more.. shouldnt our club aim to be THE best in the world? With attitude like "we cant win every year.. we can come 2nd or 3rd and then may be try a few years later", we are not going to go very far. We should strive to be where Man Utd, Barca are.. rather than look at ourselves and think of us as a second tier club. We have the resources, youth system and the history... why not take it to the next level?After the unbeaten run, it did look like we could be on top for years to come but the defeat at OT, Mourinho's brilliance and lack of intelligence from AW has meant we have regressed rather than progressed.

Agreed, your right we should be looking to take it higher, We should be striving higher all fans will tell you that. I did not agree with AW saying 2nd was ok last season which helped our downfall i thought. Maybe the Club/Manager feel they are running the club in the right way. The way that will make us big again.

fakeyank
17-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm sure he doesn't think that. Pretty much all managers talk bollocks, frankly.
Obviously when things aren't going so well people are going to pick up on it more.

If you agree with the abuse part then how about cutting it out, it adds nothing to your arguments and as Gary says if anything it detracts from them by making you look like a stroppy teenager.

I can tell u... I really dont start writing a post thinking I am going to call AW a donkey or a C*** but as I am typing and my mind just goes through whats happening to the club and towards the end, I end up adding how big of a douche he is. I do not know or care how I come across a MB to some people.. all I know is that I care for this club.. if it shows in ways that display me being a teenager or a toddler.. i cant do much!

Olivier's xmas twist
17-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I have no choice but to listen to him. He manages my club unfortunately and I have no choice but to listen to him. I am not asking AW to call out the team for being bad... im calling him out for making the team bad, for playing players out of position and having a crap defense and then have the balls to come out and say those things.

Here is how I look at it.. he is doing a terrible job at managing Arsenal and he is doing it with arrogance with the safe knowledge that what he did 7-8 years ago guarantees him this job till he decides to leave it. I call him out for abuse for his arrogance, stubbornness and those comments he makes. I do understand where some of you might think its unjustified, I however think it is very justified.. difference in opinion.

I don't think he thinks that, fans might but i doubt he does. End of the day he knows a lot more then me or you about whats gone on and what will and we will only see when he leaves how much of the downfall was really down to him tbh. whilst he is in the jon he will always take the blame.

Like i said whilst he is the manager i'll support him as he managers the club i love. People can hate the guy fine but to say it in evey thread can be tedious(not talking about you). But if he does leave then ill won't be sad at all.

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I can tell u... I really dont start writing a post thinking I am going to call AW a donkey or a C*** but as I am typing and my mind just goes through whats happening to the club and towards the end, I end up adding how big of a douche he is. I do not know or care how I come across a MB to some people.. all I know is that I care for this club.. if it shows in ways that display me being a teenager or a toddler.. i cant do much!

I can't believe you have spent about an entire page of a thread going on like this. If you want to put a point across about Wenger, his failings, his attitude, there is plenty to pick up on and be angry about. But the constant abuse and the last page of this thread do not reflect kindly on you. Your points, no matter how considered get lost when you are calling Wenger a cunt, douche, etc.

Power n Glory
17-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Not really, can understand manc fans being upset if they go 2 seasons with out a trophy because they are not used to that. They are used to winning and winning well. We on the other hand, have never had that, we have never one back to back titles since i have been watching AFC we won things once in a while or every other year when AW took over. The only bad thing for Wenger was the Invincibles was that they should have been a few more yeears younger and we may have won more.Letters and co...please tell me you see something wrong with this post? It's ok for Man U fans to throw a fit but we should make do? I don't think you understand why fans are upset with Wenger and the club if you think it's all about trophies. It's as bad as PHW's comments some months back. The resent towards the club and Wenger has nothing to do with the lack of silverware.

Power n Glory
17-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I can't believe you have spent about an entire page of a thread going on like this. If you want to put a point across about Wenger, his failings, his attitude, there is plenty to pick up on and be angry about. But the constant abuse and the last page of this thread do not reflect kindly on you. Your points, no matter how considered get lost when you are calling Wenger a cunt, douche, etc.

I'd agree with that. The name calling goes a bit too far. When he's finally gone, we'll all reflect on the good moments and regret the harsh words. Or so I hope. Wenger is really digging a hole for himself so the longer this goes on the worst it will get.

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 09:58 PM
PnG - I couldn't agree more. It annoys me when my views are being construed as frustration at not winning trophies.

Özim
17-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Manager's will talk cr*p from time to time but he takes it to a whole other level, he can't even see how embarrassing it is for him either.

Truth be told he has become a bit of a laughing stock, largely due to his ridiculous words and let's face it pompous sanctimonious attitude, doesn't seem very popular in the game either these days......seems to get into his fair share of feud's with other manager's/clubs. But then many of his own fans can't stand him either so...

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 10:42 PM
People who want Wenger out are spoilt and ungrateful. People who want him to stay are deluded.

I know it's easy to get lost in the emotion because this year has been very draining but there is a middle ground somewhere. We need some more discussion from that perspective because the current polarised outlook has been done to death.

GP
17-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Wenger should be killed.

Niall_Quinn
17-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Thought we won, was under the impression there was a distinct improvement and was delighted some of our senior squaddies did the biz. Either I'm a spoilt, ungrateful, deluded cunt or there has been a slight turn in the way the club is heading and we could do with getting on board as fans for as long as the players and the manager are giving things a shot. Maybe we'll be shit next week, so plenty of time for complaining yet. But we've all criticised the team for caving under pressure, throwing away leads, committing suicidal errors and not pulling weight. None of that happened this week. That's good isn't it? Or am I missing something?

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Thought we won, was under the impression there was a distinct improvement and was delighted some of our senior squaddies did the biz. Either I'm a spoilt, ungrateful, deluded cunt or there has been a slight turn in the way the club is heading and we could do with getting on board as fans for as long as the players and the manager are giving things a shot. Maybe we'll be shit next week, so plenty of time for complaining yet. But we've all criticised the team for caving under pressure, throwing away leads, committing suicidal errors and not pulling weight. None of that happened this week. That's good isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Lets win more than 3* games at a stretch and the mood may change a little

*- does not include wins against European heavy weights like Shrewsbury

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 03:07 AM
I suspect if we win the next 3 games 9-0 some will complain about what might have been had we not started the season so badly. Surely expectations have been lowered by now? All that competing for titles, going for a CL spot, putting long, unbeaten runs together is gone. The realistic challenge this year is to finish above the spuds. I've given up banging on about this team not being the Invincibles - because they just aren't, they're not on the same planet. The quality has been sold off. A win against Sunderland has to be viewed in a new context rather than compared to seasons and quality long gone. Basically I'm younger than the board so hopefully they will all be dead before I am. Then I might see another great Arsenal team develop. In the meantime it's take what you can get or give up on it altogether. Not great, admittedly, but if the alternative is cricket or rugby then I choose to remain heterosexual, thank you very much.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 04:38 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3878329/Arsene-Wenger-Why-I-would-quit-Arsenal.html

Looks like the problem at AFC might just leave earlier. It'll be like Xmas if and when he leaves!

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 08:14 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3878329/Arsene-Wenger-Why-I-would-quit-Arsenal.html

Looks like the problem at AFC might just leave earlier. It'll be like Xmas if and when he leaves!

Seriously shut the fuck up, I'm so tired of your constant moaning. Your only happy when we lose and tbh we don't need supporters like you. FakeYank=FakeArsenalfan. Now go support one of your American teams or even better Man Utd, as its obviously in your heart.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 08:23 AM

Similar story in The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/18/arsene-wenger-arsenal-dressing-room

Talks about the amount of players that wanted to leave in the summer. I think he's running out of steam. He has the Boards backing but it sounds like he's lost the energy to cope.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2011, 08:25 AM
He doesn't talk about other players that wanted to leave, he says they were wondering what is going on. That could mean they wanted to leave but he doesn't say so.

Fats
18-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Seriously shut the fuck up, I'm so tired of your constant moaning. Your only happy when we lose and tbh we don't need supporters like you. FakeYank=FakeArsenalfan. Now go support one of your American teams or even better Man Utd, as its obviously in your heart.

STB This is a board where your allowed an opinion. If you dont agree fine but dont bully people and tell them to leave just because you dont agree or like what they say. Just use the ignore button mate. Also just because you dont agree you cant say he is not and Arsenal fan. If someone cares enough about this club then they will support it and that also it gives you the right to question its leaders decisions.

Sorry fella but argue a valid point or use that ignore button.

Özim
18-10-2011, 08:38 AM
This comment is ridiculous to be fair:

Wenger added: "If you compare what Arsenal have won and what Manchester City have won you don't go to City to win titles. The players go to City because they pay much better."

City do pay a lot of money and there's no doubt that that attracts players, however they also sign lots of top players and clearly are better placed to win trophies than we are. We haven't won a thing in 6 years and if we're honest we look unlikely to in the near future...City on the other hand look serious contenders for the title.

He seems to have such a big problem with other clubs, it's true these clubs have invested huge amounts perhaps wrongly, but it's happened deal with it and concentrate on what you can do to challenge them...at the end of the day they can't buy all the good players around, he's got such a defeatist attitude when it comes to competing with these teams which doesn't help our chances of winning.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 08:39 AM
He doesn't talk about other players that wanted to leave, he says they were wondering what is going on. That could mean they wanted to leave but he doesn't say so.

I didn't say 'other players' either. I said the amount of players and that's besides the point. It shows that the summer dealings have effected the squad and the club have dealt with the situation badly. He also sounds like he's running out of steam and can't overcome this problem. We'll see.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 08:50 AM

City do pay a lot of money and there's no doubt that that attracts players, however they also sign lots of top players and clearly are better placed to win trophies than we are. We haven't won a thing in 6 years and if we're honest we look unlikely to in the near future...City on the other hand look serious contenders for the title.

He seems to have such a big problem with other clubs, it's true these clubs have invested huge amounts perhaps wrongly, but it's happened deal with it and concentrate on what you can do to challenge them...at the end of the day they can't buy all the good players around, he's got such a defeatist attitude when it comes to competing with these teams which doesn't help our chances of winning.

It’s sad to see. All we’re getting is excuses. Soon or later he has to face up to the problem and find a solution. He can’t keep pointing at the problems like this and do nothing to try and solve it. Someone has to sit him down and ask if he has a solution to all this. If he doesn’t, then it’s time for him to move on.

Letters
18-10-2011, 09:02 AM
It's hardly an 'excuse' to say it's very hard to compete with clubs who can pay your players 3 times as much as you can. It's obviously true. That said, we aren't doing all we can do to compete IMO and that's where Wenger has failed.

Flavs
18-10-2011, 09:17 AM
It's hardly an 'excuse' to say it's very hard to compete with clubs who can pay your players 3 times as much as you can. It's obviously true. That said, we aren't doing all we can do to compete IMO and that's where Wenger has failed.

Out of interest, what more do you think we could be doing?

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 09:27 AM
STB This is a board where your allowed an opinion. If you dont agree fine but dont bully people and tell them to leave just because you dont agree or like what they say. Just use the ignore button mate. Also just because you dont agree you cant say he is not and Arsenal fan. If someone cares enough about this club then they will support it and that also it gives you the right to question its leaders decisions.

Sorry fella but argue a valid point or use that ignore button.

Sorry we all know he doesn't like Wenger and feels he needs to go, but I have 2 points here. Firstly he doesn't need to use every single thing to go over the same point again and again. Even when we win he finds negativity to say Wenger should be sacked blah blah blah. Now there are plenty of people here that feel the same but they don't mention it all the time and at least find some positivity.

Now my second point, how can anyone who truelly supports Arsenal want them to lose and want them to lose badly just so the manager goes. Thats disgusting, he would rather we lost then won a title or cup under Wenger just so he will go. How is that supporting the team?

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 09:33 AM

It becomes an excuse when you keep talking about such things and we can’t manage to beat Birmingham in the Carling Cup final. A team that was relegated. I think the players can accept the fact that City, Chelsea and United can afford to pay big wages but they can’t accept the way we completely fall apart against teams we should be beating.

It becomes an excuse when you use it to explain away every single problem.

Letters
18-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Out of interest, what more do you think we could be doing?

Well, for a start this summer it was pretty clear that Nasri and Fabregas were going to go. IMO we should have sorted that out in June, bought some replacements with the money and got them settled in. I realise that's easier said that done but while I think our transfer day dealings were pretty decent IMO we shouldn't have been scrambling round on that day.
I don't really expect us to compete with City now but the summer dealings have left us struggling to compete with teams like Spurs. That's where we've failed. That said, it's very early days and I do think this lot are capable of competing for top 4. It's not a gimme like it used to be though and with our resources we should be the most likely contenders for top 4 after the depressingly obvious top 3.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't say 'other players' either. I said the amount of players and that's besides the point. It shows that the summer dealings have effected the squad and the club have dealt with the situation badly. He also sounds like he's running out of steam and can't overcome this problem. We'll see.

What Wenger says is obviously a reference to those that have not left, so it doesn't really matter whether you said other players or not (though you saying the 'amount' does suggest you mean more than just those that did actually leave). It's the article I was responding to - saying others wanted to leave (when he doesn't say that). And of course what happened in the summer would have affected them - Wenger admits they were wondering what is going on but that isn't to say those concerns are the same now and it isn't to say those concerns meant they wanted to leave aswell.

Letters
18-10-2011, 09:40 AM
It becomes an excuse when you keep talking about such things and we can’t manage to beat Birmingham in the Carling Cup final. A team that was relegated. I think the players can accept the fact that City, Chelsea and United can afford to pay big wages but they can’t accept the way we completely fall apart against teams we should be beating.

It becomes an excuse when you use it to explain away every single problem.

I don't know what you mean 'the players' can't accept us failing to beat Birmingham. It's THEM that failed!
People talk about motivation and so on but if you're a player in a cup final do you really need to be motivated by a manager in order to want to get out there and win? Really? I don't buy that, players in Cup Finals should want to win as a matter of course, they shouldn't need a "we will fight them on the beaches" style motivational speech in order to go out there and beat a team who, as you say, were relegated and who we beat twice in the league quite comfortably last season.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't know what you mean 'the players' can't accept us failing to beat Birmingham. It's THEM that failed!
People talk about motivation and so on but if you're a player in a cup final do you really need to be motivated by a manager in order to want to get out there and win? Really? I don't buy that, players in Cup Finals should want to win as a matter of course, they shouldn't need a "we will fight them on the beaches" style motivational speech in order to go out there and beat a team who, as you say, were relegated and who we beat twice in the league quite comfortably last season.

I guess we don't need Wenger if that's your logic and shouldn't take much credit for the silverware we've won over the years.

Letters
18-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Well no, that doesn't make any sense. He bought and developed players and got them playing together in a team which was, at its peak, just about the best PL team I've ever seen. That peak is long since over of course but the players have to take some responsibility for their failings. Are you saying that players need special motivation in order to win a cup final? That they shouldn't just want to win anyway because it's a cup final?

Flavs
18-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, for a start this summer it was pretty clear that Nasri and Fabregas were going to go. IMO we should have sorted that out in June, bought some replacements with the money and got them settled in. I realise that's easier said that done but while I think our transfer day dealings were pretty decent IMO we shouldn't have been scrambling round on that day.
I don't really expect us to compete with City now but the summer dealings have left us struggling to compete with teams like Spurs. That's where we've failed. That said, it's very early days and I do think this lot are capable of competing for top 4. It's not a gimme like it used to be though and with our resources we should be the most likely contenders for top 4 after the depressingly obvious top 3.

I think we were struggling to get Citeh to pay for Nasri and that's what took the time, same with Cesc. Clichy, eboue and so on were all done in plenty of time as were the purchases of Jenko and Megamind. We clearly needed the funds from "Nasregash" to buy the further players we needed, it certainly wasn't ideal and seemed to take forever though. We also wasted an eternity negotiating the Campbell deal and getting rid of Bendtner. Wenger also seemed to be banking on getting Mata and then Chelsea spoiled that, if the press be believe we were also trying to get either kaka or Benzema on loan from Real or Lopez from France.

I do wonder if we have agreed to sign a big name at Xmas and were trying to manage a stop gap, to lose 20 players in one summer is plain silly and the fact our play hasn't changed since the also-rans have left says a lot about the way the team is managed IMO, are the likes of Vela and Denilson really that bad and are things that different without them?

I still wonder if we hadn't been hammered by Manyoo we would have bought the "last day 5"

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Well no, that doesn't make any sense. He bought and developed players and got them playing together in a team which was, at its peak, just about the best PL team I've ever seen. That peak is long since over of course but the players have to take some responsibility for their failings. Are you saying that players need special motivation in order to win a cup final? That they shouldn't just want to win anyway because it's a cup final?

It's not about motivation, it's about having them mentally prepared and feeling confident. They chocked and it's down to inexperienced players that can't cope and a manager that can’t prepare the team properly to deal with such occasions. As seen on Sunday, players like RVP can’t keep pulling off wonder goals to win games for us. That is why players like Cesc and Nasri leave. I shouldn’t have to explain the problems we have. I’m not into the arguing just for the sake of it. You know why the players feel disillusioned.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 11:26 AM
TV has just signed a new deal, surely he'll play for us again some time in the future. RvP says he's committed (or maybe he means he should be committed for deciding to stay), but he's here now and banging in the goals. Arshavin says he's staying, we have new signings that won't be going anywhere soon. There's enough stability to build a team now. I'm not sure how effective that team will be in the long run but we need to give them a chance. What's the alternative? Criticise them win, lose or draw? We know things aren't right at the club, we know how many mistakes have been made, we know there's a struggle ahead. If they fuck up again then let's say they have fucked up again and be angry about that. But why say Wenger out in October when we know that's not going to happen? Wouldn't it be better to focus on what's possible, like RvP continuing to play well, or maybe Ox breaking into the team and making an impact, or Rosicky finding form, or Arshavin starting to play? I don't mean bury your head in the sand, I mean we have a season ahead and if the team is putting a shift in then let's acknowledge that and give them some support. Next summer we can talk about who goes but what does this talk achieve now?

milla
18-10-2011, 11:59 AM
TV has just signed a new deal, surely he'll play for us again some time in the future. RvP says he's committed (or maybe he means he should be committed for deciding to stay), but he's here now and banging in the goals. Arshavin says he's staying, we have new signings that won't be going anywhere soon. There's enough stability to build a team now. I'm not sure how effective that team will be in the long run but we need to give them a chance. What's the alternative? Criticise them win, lose or draw? We know things aren't right at the club, we know how many mistakes have been made, we know there's a struggle ahead. If they fuck up again then let's say they have fucked up again and be angry about that. But why say Wenger out in October when we know that's not going to happen? Wouldn't it be better to focus on what's possible, like RvP continuing to play well, or maybe Ox breaking into the team and making an impact, or Rosicky finding form, or Arshavin starting to play? I don't mean bury your head in the sand, I mean we have a season ahead and if the team is putting a shift in then let's acknowledge that and give them some support. Next summer we can talk about who goes but what does this talk achieve now?

Arshavin is on his final year of his contract, he already said he will not renew it and prefer to go back to St Petersburg. Next summer will be worse than this year. Arshavin and Rosicky are nearly certain to leave on free transfer and if we add RVP (the board wouldnt want him to leave on free too), that will take over 60% of our creativity and goal threat. :faint:

Flavs
18-10-2011, 12:14 PM
If we can get rid of Walcott i will see this season as a success

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Letters and co...please tell me you see something wrong with this post? It's ok for Man U fans to throw a fit but we should make do? I don't think you understand why fans are upset with Wenger and the club if you think it's all about trophies. It's as bad as PHW's comments some months back. The resent towards the club and Wenger has nothing to do with the lack of silverware.

I was talking about people moaning about us not winning things for 6 seasons and thinking we have a right to win trophies. what right did we have to even beat B'ham in the cc final people go on like we should have won it easy.

Not really people do go to city for the money even fergie and arry said the same thing a while back are they rediculas or making excuses too.

On the he has a problem with other clubs, nonsese all managers do, arry as said the same things loads of times so di rafa when he was at pool.

I agree yo uhave to deal with it or go home at the end of the day, but its not easy when the player you want and maybe have talked you has a wad of cash waved infront of him and goes somewhere else.

We can't afford wages city can and its stupid to think we can but are just stingy

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 12:34 PM
City get these players because of the money without a doubt, but to the players there is a justification because they are more likely to win trophies. Nasri said as much when he joined.

As unlikely as it is, it would be sweet as fuck if we had a better season than them

Özim
18-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Not really people do go to city for the money even fergie and arry said the same thing a while back are they rediculas or making excuses too.

On the he has a problem with other clubs, nonsese all managers do, arry as said the same things loads of times so di rafa when he was at pool.

I agree yo uhave to deal with it or go home at the end of the day, but its not easy when the player you want and maybe have talked you has a wad of cash waved infront of him and goes somewhere else.

We can't afford wages city can and its stupid to think we can but are just stingy
To be fair he makes a comment about how many trophies we've won and how many they've won and that based on that if not for the money people would sign for us.

That's not true though, because at this point in time you've got a much greater chance of trophies at City. We've won nothing in 6 years and look unlikely to in the near future, City now have top players and are real challengers for silverware and thus have a much better chance than us.

Let's look at it another way, what do City offer:
1) Ambition
2) Playing alongside top players
3) High chance of medals
4) Big money

We can't compete with them in all 4 of the above, it's not just money....if we could then our history would be much more relevant, right now though players see us as also ran's, who don't invest much in the team and sell their best players and that's hardly going to convince players to come, neither is getting battered 8-2.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Arshavin is on his final year of his contract, he already said he will not renew it and prefer to go back to St Petersburg. Next summer will be worse than this year. Arshavin and Rosicky are nearly certain to leave on free transfer and if we add RVP (the board wouldnt want him to leave on free too), that will take over 60% of our creativity and goal threat. :faint:

All of this could be true. So the choice is, spend the next six months beating yourself up about it or get engaged with the season now, see what happens and then make your feelings loud and clear in the summer. I read Arshavin was staying, guess it depends on what rag says what.

I thought the performance against Sunderland was ok. Just ok, but that's a step up. There were some good individual performances too. It seems strange this match has prompted another round of Wenger out. If this is what we're going to do when we win, can you imagine how shitty it's all going to be if we lose a few? We've got to make sure we don't end up hating Arsenal more than the spuds hate us - can't see the mileage if that happens.

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why everyone is surprised about Man City getting all these players. You throw enough money around and continue season after season and eventually you will get success. How can people expect us to win the league when Man City have an infinite pot of cash and will keep spending until they start winning.

The only way to stop that is to make sure wage caps are introduced and financial fair play is introduced. Outside of that there is not much Wenger or the board can do unless they follow suit...as much as we'd love that I'd rather not become another City/Chelsea and struggle when these rules come in.

Letters
18-10-2011, 12:51 PM
We can't compete with them in all 4 of the above

Although the other 3 come from the money, they had none of them before the money came along.
So it does all come down to the money ultimately.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't understand why everyone is surprised about Man City getting all these players. You throw enough money around and continue season after season and eventually you will get success. How can people expect us to win the league when Man City have an infinite pot of cash and will keep spending until they start winning.

The only way to stop that is to make sure wage caps are introduced and financial fair play is introduced. Outside of that there is not much Wenger or the board can do unless they follow suit...as much as we'd love that I'd rather not become another City/Chelsea and struggle when these rules come in.

The rules aren't going to make a blind bit of difference, as City have already demonstrated. What we really need is for much, much tighter control of agents. It's in the interests of these cunts to run around destabilising players and teams and fragmenting the game. That's hoe the slime skim their money.

Fabregas is better than anyone City have now or will ever have. We built him here. RvP could well be the best striker in Europe right now. Built at Arsenal. We've never needed City's billions, all we ever needed was a few million invested in experience at key moments. But those uber-cunts on the board wouldn't do it and they still won't. They are the problem. For all City's cash, with a couple of choice signings they'd still be on our coattails. Admittedly they have now spent such a stupidly huge amount getting 2-3 world class players per position they will be hard to beat simply because they won't suffer as much from injuries and suspensions. So yeah, the big money tells in the end but it was our refusal to spend a little rather than their determination to spend a lot that has made the difference over the last few seasons.

So there is something the board can do to correct this. They can kill themselves.

up the arse
18-10-2011, 12:56 PM

could not agree more :gp:

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 12:58 PM
could not agree more :gp:

Wenger out, tbh.

IBK
18-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Some good posts here.

My feelings? I think the Summer was a massive balls up - from board to manager. And I think that losing arguably our 2 best players, after last season's meltdown - and this on top of a reputation for refusing to pay market price for players at a time when Citeh are hoovering up - created a toxic environment in which the arse dropped out of our team. And once you suffer such a complete crisis of confidence as manager and players - underlined by a truly traumatising result al Old Trafford, it is extremely difficult to bounce back. Because players' faith in the manager's methods is shaken so badly, and other teams are encouraged and fancy their chances against a wounded animal.

So yes, mistakes have been made and AW could and should have done something about it. Its not as though our current problems could not have been foreseen.

But what's done is done. We now need to get behind our manager and players. The CL games, and the Sunderland match have seen some green shoots. We are still fragile, yes, but some of our more senior players have now started to perform, and our purchases to bed in. We are at a stage where we need to take as much from individual performances as we do about results, or margins of victory. This team needs to believe in itself again, and our back 5 needs time to consolidate. We have to remember that our defence has been astonishingly disrupted - and this is hard to cope with when you play with the demands that our style of play makes on them. Vermaelen is back at the end of this month - and its crystal clear that he and Mertesacker are our first choice CB pairing. Lets allow them to try to build an understanding before we panic any more about the manager not knowing what he is doing.

So I'm looking for little steps, ATM. And Saturday counts as one of those, as did Bolton a couple of weeks ago and even the performance, at times, against Spurs. A point in Marselle tomorrow will continue the move in the right direction.

But as has been observed, we need to shift our previous points of reference this season, as finishing above Spurs is our real challenge this season.

Japan Shaking All Over
18-10-2011, 01:48 PM

I'd say yup to that. . .I think now it is the turn of the players to show that they have a set. . . .both the new guys and the ones that remained after the summer dealings.

If the current crop remain I think we are two transfers windows away from becoming challengers again. . . in the league that is, I believe we have a decent domestic cup run in us but consistency is our biggest enemy and we must get over this hurdle both technically and mentally before we hear SAF mention our name again.
For this to happen a lot of things have to be righted both on and off the pitch because we are still a bit of a project in both areas, that can be left for another debate and whether at such time we will be looking at chanes in management or board members I dont know.

But for the time being I am taking Saturdays result as a positive sign and hope the players/Wenger tske it to the next level. . . .

Özim
18-10-2011, 02:04 PM
TV has just signed a new deal, surely he'll play for us again some time in the future.
Wenger has got him marked down as a new signing for a couple games in the next 4 seasons. Don't anyone say we're not spoilt.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 02:17 PM

So what type of supporters does Arsenal need? I really would love to hear an answer for this..

As for dick measuring as to who is a bigger Arsenal fan or better, dont even start on that with me coz frankly speaking, I am probably the biggest Arsenal fan you will ever get to know.. I moan because I care. I dont like to sit and see my team disintegrate infront of my eyes.. you can do that and that is the first sign of a great fan.

PS: I am very tempted to reply to your wind up of 'STFU' but I will refrain myself. Again, if you have anything personal, PM me, I'll put you in your place. Thanks!

Flavs
18-10-2011, 02:19 PM
So what type of supporters does Arsenal need? I really would love to hear an answer for this..

As for dick measuring as to who is a bigger Arsenal fan or better, dont even start on that with me coz frankly speaking, I am probably the biggest Arsenal fan you will ever get to know.. I moan because I care. I dont like to sit and see my team disintegrate infront of my eyes.. you can do that and that is the first sign of a great fan.

PS: I am very tempted to reply to your wind up of 'STFU' but I will refrain myself. Again, if you have anything personal PM me, I'll put you in your place. Thanks!

aww man i would love to see you two have a fight, in fact i would pay for that shit. The amount of hair pulling and scratching would be epic

Flavs
18-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I am probably the biggest Arsenal fan you will ever get to know..

He is right though FY, you are a bit of a cunt tbh

:whistle:

Letters
18-10-2011, 02:23 PM
As for dick measuring as to who is a bigger Arsenal fan or better, dont even start on that with me coz frankly speaking, I am probably the biggest Arsenal fan you will ever get to know..

I wish NBN were alive to see this :(

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 02:23 PM
The rules aren't going to make a blind bit of difference, as City have already demonstrated. What we really need is for much, much tighter control of agents. It's in the interests of these cunts to run around destabilising players and teams and fragmenting the game. That's hoe the slime skim their money.

Fabregas is better than anyone City have now or will ever have. We built him here. RvP could well be the best striker in Europe right now. Built at Arsenal. We've never needed City's billions, all we ever needed was a few million invested in experience at key moments. But those uber-cunts on the board wouldn't do it and they still won't. They are the problem. For all City's cash, with a couple of choice signings they'd still be on our coattails. Admittedly they have now spent such a stupidly huge amount getting 2-3 world class players per position they will be hard to beat simply because they won't suffer as much from injuries and suspensions. So yeah, the big money tells in the end but it was our refusal to spend a little rather than their determination to spend a lot that has made the difference over the last few seasons.

So there is something the board can do to correct this. They can kill themselves.

I agree with you, in the past mistakes have been made but we don't know the ins and outs (maybe the money wasnt there). However I feel now we've reached a point where City have eclipsed us and will continue to for the forseeable future much like Chelsea did, until their chairman gets bored. Them getting in the CL was the end of our hope and I'm not quite sure what everyone keeps complaining about, we shouldn't be expecting to win titles anymore, not with all that money at their disposal.

Yes we created a Fabregas, a Van Persie but they're 1 player in 20, we can't expect to have a team full of them. I do think we should be going for better players than Arteta, some young up and coming stars like M'Vila or Martin but players like Arteta are useful in adding squad depth and experience. That should be our model, get the young stars before they become world class and load them with some experience.

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 02:30 PM

PS: I am very tempted to reply to your wind up of 'STFU' but I will refrain myself. Again, if you have anything personal, PM me, I'll put you in your place. Thanks!

Wow the midget got bite. Mate no point being an internet hero, how can you possibly be the biggest Arsenal fan I know when you are begging the team to lose and laughing with joy when we concede. You don't get behind the team like any fan should, if you really feel that way get off of the internet and make a protest, moaning on GW isn't going to do shit. For any Arsenal fan a loss should make you feel sick and disappointed. Are you going to roll out how you fly all the way from America to watch your glorious Arsenal...big deal, just because you have the money to throw around doesn't make you the biggest fan.

Flavs
18-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes we created a Fabregas, a Van Persie but they're 1 player in 20, we can't expect to have a team full of them. I do think we should be going for better players than Arteta, some young up and coming stars like M'Vila or Martin but players like Arteta are useful in adding squad depth and experience. That should be our model, get the young stars before they become world class and load them with some experience.

If you look at the output from our academy both self created and the ones we bought as kids and polished we would have a squad capable of finishing top half IMO, supplement this with a few wise buys and the ability to hold onto what you have and we should be contending for top 4 each season...oh, we are.

Flavs
18-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Wow the midget got bite. Mate no point being an internet hero, how can you possibly be the biggest Arsenal fan I know when you are begging the team to lose and laughing with joy when we concede. You don't get behind the team like any fan should, if you really feel that way get off of the internet and make a protest, moaning on GW isn't going to do shit. For any Arsenal fan a loss should make you feel sick and disappointed. Are you going to roll out how you fly all the way from America to watch your glorious Arsenal...big deal, just because you have the money to throw around doesn't make you the biggest fan.

He's right though STB, you are a bit of a cunt tbf

Japan Shaking All Over
18-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Don't think so FY..........Tommy is!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U13OQOdDP7k/TRIHfZjkSPI/AAAAAAAAABc/jdE1jgyIV84/s1600/Arsenal+Fan+huge+tommy.jpg

unless you are being a WUM as per.........

Joker
18-10-2011, 03:49 PM
*******'s comments about players not going to City for trophies is ridiculous. They won the FA Cup last season, qualified for the UCL as well and this year are top of the Premiership. Players don't care that we won the double in 2001-2002, they're forward looking and at the moment, the expectation has to be that City are a club on the up, and we're in steep decline, so it's not hard to guess which club has a greater chance of lifting silverware in the short term.

*******'s comments are just sour grapes.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Wenger, his name is Wenger.

server too busy!
18-10-2011, 04:06 PM
He's right though STB, you are a bit of a cunt tbf

Right back at you baldy

:mwah:

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Vinger, his name is Vinger.

Yes.

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Finally watching MOTD2

They showed the WBA v Wolves game before ours :lol:

Thats how low we have fallen

Wenger :doh:

Also the fans who missed the first goal cos they were drinking piss or something :pal:

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Great goal from Larsson although just has to get them on target cos our keepers a bit shit when it comes to FKs.

Cattermole :lol:

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Didnt watch the whole game but just from the highlights alone, Koscielny played Sunderland onside at least 1238012938 times.

Hes a bit shit

Letters
18-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Finally watching MOTD2

They showed the WBA v Wolves game before ours :lol:

Thats how low we have fallen

Wenger :doh:

Also the fans who missed the first goal cos they were drinking piss or something :pal:

That's a new one, blaming Wenger for BBC's scheduling :lol:

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Big teams always get shown first. We werent cos we arent considered a big team anymore.

No doubt you'll mention our history that no one gives a fuck about tbh. Its about the here and now and we're a bit shit now and that my friend is all down to Wenger hence the :doh:

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 04:41 PM
That's a new one, blaming Wenger for BBC's scheduling :lol:

Ach awlful wum tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 04:42 PM
*******'s comments about players not going to City for trophies is ridiculous. They won the FA Cup last season, qualified for the UCL as well and this year are top of the Premiership. Players don't care that we won the double in 2001-2002, they're forward looking and at the moment, the expectation has to be that City are a club on the up, and we're in steep decline, so it's not hard to guess which club has a greater chance of lifting silverware in the short term.

*******'s comments are just sour grapes.

I see what AW said about your club really hurt, In Mancini you trust ahey

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ach;57027]Big teams always get shown first. We werent cos we arent considered a big team anymore.

No doubt you'll mention our history that no one gives a fuck about tbh. Its about the here and now and we're a bit shit now and that my friend is all down to Wenger hence the :doh:[/QUOTE

You do chat shite at times

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 04:50 PM
To be fair he makes a comment about how many trophies we've won and how many they've won and that based on that if not for the money people would sign for us.

That's not true though, because at this point in time you've got a much greater chance of trophies at City. We've won nothing in 6 years and look unlikely to in the near future, City now have top players and are real challengers for silverware and thus have a much better chance than us.

Let's look at it another way, what do City offer:
1) Ambition
2) Playing alongside top players
3) High chance of medals
4) Big money
We can't compete with them in all 4 of the above, it's not just money....if we could then our history would be much more relevant, right now though players see us as also ran's, who don't invest much in the team and sell their best players and that's hardly going to convince players to come, neither is getting battered 8-2.
don't see ambition at City tbh, just becausxe you chuck a load of money on players and try to build a team don't make you ambitions. I mean if city are so good why does their captain and starman want to leave, really ambitious that.

The other 3 id give you although there not really guranteed medals just because they buy big, but id agree with it.

City ok club but they have to win lots of stuff live their rivals before they can become a great club and people will take them seriously. Like i said once they win trophies regulaly then they won't be judge as just a club you go to for money.

end of the day id rather have players that want to play for my club as long as the show heart and passion its all good.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't think so FY..........Tommy is!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_U13OQOdDP7k/TRIHfZjkSPI/AAAAAAAAABc/jdE1jgyIV84/s1600/Arsenal+Fan+huge+tommy.jpg

unless you are being a WUM as per.........

I have an Arsenal tattoo too and I have it on my back with the 'e' on my spine and not a blob of fat like this man.. so I am a bigger fan than him! :good:

Letters
18-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Ach awlful wum tbh

Ach :rose:

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Tell me one way how being optimistic or not moaning is going to change the direction of the team? Do I get behind my team? 100% everytime they are on the field... I have said this many times, I'd rather the manager and players prove me wrong and make me eat humble pie than being proved right! However ground realities say otherwise.. we have no direction and unless we got that beating at OT, we wouldnt have changed a thing at our club.

No, I dont pray for us to lose but falling down is a necessary step in getting up, especially when our manager has lost all his brain cells! On top of that, he has the support of the board... not for long, I hope. Getting out of the champions league or having a mauling like the one at OT are necessary evils.. you can agree or you can disagree with my viewpoint but the bottomline is this: What was the main reason for one of the biggest overturn in our transfer policy in the last 6 years? I know you know the answer...

As for protesting when I am off the internet, I will be doing that when I am in London this feb, I plan on taking a banner saying "Wenger OUT" with me to the ground and if I dont have a ticket, I'll stand outside Emirates with it! And I am not even the biggest fan for that or because I spend a lot of money to watch Arsenal.. I am the biggest fan because I love this team more than many of you so called 'locals' would.. I have supported this club since I was 7 having never lived in England and I have and will stick by this team through thick n thin.. if I had to support Manchester Utd for being a successful club, I'd have done that before Wenger came in or for that matter, post 2005.

Özim
18-10-2011, 06:28 PM
don't see ambition at City tbh, just becausxe you chuck a load of money on players and try to build a team don't make you ambitions. I mean if city are so good why does their captain and starman want to leave, really ambitious that.

The other 3 id give you although there not really guranteed medals just because they buy big, but id agree with it.

City ok club but they have to win lots of stuff live their rivals before they can become a great club and people will take them seriously. Like i said once they win trophies regulaly then they won't be judge as just a club you go to for money.

end of the day id rather have players that want to play for my club as long as the show heart and passion its all good.
Well they are willing to do what it takes and sign the best players to win trophies, that is ambition however you look at it.

Tevez is homesick, when players get homesick and want to be near their family football goes out the window but the fact is they signed Aguero.....2 years ago they didn't have a hope but suddenly players are recognising that they can pick up trophies at Man City and taking note.

Fact is we can't compete on any level with City, if we could offer medals and the chance to play alongside top players we'd have something, Wenger has done such a poor job though that we're left with next to no decent players and realistically little hope of competing....and it's not just down to money, it's poor signings, poor tactics, poor coaching, a fixation on passing and neglect for all the other areas that matter, poor and lack of squad harmony and an inability to address obvious problem areas amongst other things.

It's not impossible for teams to compete with City and co, point is if you're going to you need to have a top manager and a few top players, we really have neither...in reality you'd have to be a bit of a fool to come to Arsenal as a top player at the moment because we're a club going nowhere fast.

The club is all about money, unfortunately that doesn't help us as none of that can be used to entice players...it's reserved for the manager and the moneygrabbers on the board, they don't give a toss if we compete as long as they're seeing the profits roll in.

I hope they all go bankrupt one day (once they leave the club obviously).

Coney
18-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Tell me one way how being optimistic or not moaning is going to change the direction of the team? Do I get behind my team? 100% everytime they are on the field... I have said this many times, I'd rather the manager and players prove me wrong and make me eat humble pie than being proved right! However ground realities say otherwise.. we have no direction and unless we got that beating at OT, we wouldnt have changed a thing at our club.

No, I dont pray for us to lose but falling down is a necessary step in getting up, especially when our manager has lost all his brain cells! On top of that, he has the support of the board... not for long, I hope. Getting out of the champions league or having a mauling like the one at OT are necessary evils.. you can agree or you can disagree with my viewpoint but the bottomline is this: What was the main reason for one of the biggest overturn in our transfer policy in the last 6 years? I know you know the answer...

As for protesting when I am off the internet, I will be doing that when I am in London this feb, I plan on taking a banner saying "Wenger OUT" with me to the ground and if I dont have a ticket, I'll stand outside Emirates with it! And I am not even the biggest fan for that or because I spend a lot of money to watch Arsenal.. I am the biggest fan because I love this team more than many of you so called 'locals' would.. I have supported this club since I was 7 having never lived in England and I have and will stick by this team through thick n thin.. if I had to support Manchester Utd for being a successful club, I'd have done that before Wenger came in or for that matter, post 2005.

That's not supporting the team through think and thin. Wenger built this team. Make your mind up.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Well they are willing to do what it takes and sign the best players to win trophies, that is ambition however you look at it.

Tevez is homesick, when players get homesick and want to be near their family football goes out the window but the fact is they signed Aguero.....2 years ago they didn't have a hope but suddenly players are recognising that they can pick up trophies at Man City and taking note.

Fact is we can't compete on any level with City, if we could offer medals and the chance to play alongside top players we'd have something, Wenger has done such a poor job though that we're left with next to no decent players and realistically little hope of competing....and it's not just down to money, it's poor signings, poor tactics, poor coaching, a fixation on passing and neglect for all the other areas that matter, poor and lack of squad harmony and an inability to address obvious problem areas amongst other things.

It's not impossible for teams to compete with City and co, point is if you're going to you need to have a top manager and a few top players, we really have neither...in reality you'd have to be a bit of a fool to come to Arsenal as a top player at the moment because we're a club going nowhere fast.The club is all about money, unfortunately that doesn't help us as none of that can be used to entice players...it's reserved for the manager and the moneygrabbers on the board, they don't give a toss if we compete as long as they're seeing the profits roll in.

I hope they all go bankrupt one day (once they leave the club obviously).

You chat some bollox so one day you say you want big players then you say they are fools to come here, well with fans like you why would they want to. If big players want to come him they will if they don't feck em who wants players with no passion for the club anyway.

we can compete with city if we offer top wages but thats never going to happen. As for them going bankrupt that a silly thing to say why should their familes suffer because of the choices they made.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 07:49 PM
You chat some bollox so one day you say you want big players then you say they are fools to come here, well with fans like you why would they want to. If big players want to come him they will if they don't feck em who wants players with no passion for the club anyway.

we can compete with city if we offer top wages but thats never going to happen. As for them going bankrupt that a silly thing to say why should their familes suffer because of the choices they made.

And you say Zimm's the one talking bollox :lol:

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 07:55 PM

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 07:59 PM
That's not supporting the team through think and thin. Wenger built this team. Make your mind up.

So all the Geordies who want Mike Ashley out or the Mancs who want Glazers out are not supporting their team? I am protesting what I think is wrong at our club, how is that not supporting the team? I support Arsenal the football club.. its managers, boards and players are all transitional and if I feel someone is wrong, I will protest/moan/cry about it.. I dont understand how you can question my support based on something I think is wrong.. doesnt make sense!

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 08:10 PM
So all the Geordies who want Mike Ashley out or the Mancs who want Glazers out are not supporting their team? I am protesting what I think is wrong at our club, how is that not supporting the team? I support Arsenal the football club.. its managers, boards and players are all transitional and if I feel someone is wrong, I will protest/moan/cry about it.. I dont understand how you can question my support based on something I think is wrong.. doesnt make sense!

That's a good point.

Xhaka Can’t
18-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Although the other 3 come from the money, they had none of them before the money came along.
So it does all come down to the money ultimately.

At Man City it is all about the money. Nothing else but money.

Even moreso than Chelsea - Chelsea had built a capable team before the injection of Abramovich's cash. With Man City it is money, greed and more money. Anything they win is as hollow as it is possible to be hollow. I don't consider anything they win to mean anything. At all.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Bit diffrent they are fighting a board who they thinking is runing their club, not the managers. thats the diffrence. having a protest against the board and against the manger are 2 diffrent things.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 08:45 PM

Even moreso than Chelsea - Chelsea had built a capable team before the injection of Abramovich's cash. With Man City it is money, greed and more money. Anything they win is as hollow as it is possible to be hollow. I don't consider anything they win to mean anything. At all.

Pretty much.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Bit diffrent they are fighting a board who they thinking is runing their club, not the managers. thats the diffrence. having a protest against the board and against the manger are 2 diffrent things.

Blackburn... fans against Kean the day try beat us.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 08:49 PM

wtf you on about,

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Blackburn... fans against Kean the day try beat us.

wtf you on about never said it don't happen said they are 2 diffrent things.

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Agreed

Blackburn fans protesting against Kean is completely different to FY wanting Wenger out

:blink:

Letters
18-10-2011, 08:58 PM
With Man City it is money, greed and more money. Anything they win is as hollow as it is possible to be hollow. I don't consider anything they win to mean anything. At all.

Well quite. Lucky for them most football fans are massively thick and don't care about such things.
When Abramovic came along I, and others, said their success was purely down to money. They only won big when Mourinho came along but would he have been there but for the money? Would he balls.
And now City are doing it. A side languishing in mid-table before the sugar daddy. That pretty much proves it, you can do it with any club if you throw enough money at them for long enough.

Football :rose:

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Well quite. Lucky for them most football fans are massively thick and don't care about such things.
When Abramovic came along I, and others, said their success was purely down to money. They only won big when Mourinho came along but would he have been there but for the money? Would he balls.
And now City are doing it. A side languishing in mid-table before the sugar daddy. That pretty much proves it, you can do it with any club if you throw enough money at them for long enough.

Thought Sense was not Allowed on GW

Özim
18-10-2011, 09:06 PM

You don't see many who say Chelsea's trophy wins are hollow, the Chelsea fans were pretty happy...you saying their trophies are hollow is you trying to make yourself feel better...they're not at the end of the day as they go down in the history books....just like City's will if they are successful.

Chelsea spents loads and had a very good manager so they won and they sound gained respect in the game.

I agree Man City have spent a lot of money and it's not fair, difference is now is that they can also attract players because they are capable of winning trophies and player will perceive it to be a club where they can play alongside the best players and win stuff (as well as earn money obviously).

Whether you perceive it to mean anything at all means nothing, they're not trying to please you as you're not a City fan so why would they care?

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 09:09 PM

How do you feel about Stan on the board and the fact that he hasn't put his money into the club? I'm not sure what you're stance is on this, but I know a lot of people on here are unhappy with Stan and are now calling for the other Billionaire to takeover the club and splash the cash. A few years ago, that was unheard of and people on here were against Jabba taking over and it was the same for Stan.

An outsider would say we're the thick ones for supporting a model that the fans pay for but get nothing back while shareholders can watch the money pile up without putting up their own cash. I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Circumstances can change an opinion rather swiftly.

Özim
18-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Thing is if you look at the general view of Chelsea they're success was respected by many and nowadays all of Europe take them seriously, the fact you don't doesn't make a whole lot of difference because history is history and that says they won x trophies under Mourinho.

Özim
18-10-2011, 09:10 PM
wtf you on about,
You talking bollox :lol:

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Footballs changing. It always is.

In the 90s we had the premiership created and im sure it was different in the 80s, 70s etc although im too young to remember that.

We're in an era of the billionaire. We can either sit back and moan about it and wish for football to go back to how it was or we can join in with the big boys.

Time for the Russian to step in cos its clear Kroenke wont change anything.

Btw i agree with everything said about City on here

Joker
18-10-2011, 09:13 PM
What's happening with City has happened on a smaller scale in football for a long time. Vilifying them and blaming them for our troubles is simply a kop out.

Moreover, if we want to talk about greed in the game we would do better to look at the foundation of the Premier League, which was motivated by greed and nothing else.

Olivier's xmas twist
You don't see many who say Chelsea's trophy wins are hollow, the Chelsea fans were pretty happy...you saying their trophies are hollow is you trying to make yourself feel better...they're not at the end of the day as they go down in the history books....just like City's will if they are successful.

Chelsea spents loads and had a very good manager so they won and they sound gained respect in the game.

I agree Man City have spent a lot of money and it's not fair, difference is now is that they can also attract players because they are capable of winning trophies and player will perceive it to be a club where they can play alongside the best players and win stuff (as well as ear money obviously).

Whether you perceive it to mean anything at all means nothing, they're not trying to please you as you're not a City fan so why would they care?

They were capable of winning trophies before they got rich tbh, but no one chose to go their then. They could have easily won the CC or fa cup.

If the trophy you mean is the league then fair do's

Olivier's xmas twist
You talking bollox :lol:

What you talking about Zimmmyyyyyy

Özim
18-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Footballs changing. It always is.

In the 90s we had the premiership created and im sure it was different in the 80s, 70s etc although im too young to remember that.

We're in an era of the billionaire. We can either sit back and moan about it and wish for football to go back to how it was or we can join in with the big boys.

Time for the Russian to step in cos its clear Kroenke wont change anything.

Btw i agree with everything said about City on here
Yup agree with that.

City are spending sh*tloads and have an unfair advantage but at the end of the day if they win stuff for a while it will soon be laregely forgotten, besides our model of taking the fans for a ride is hardly a good example.

Think I'd rather move with the times like you say.

Özim
18-10-2011, 09:17 PM
They were capable of winning trophies before they got rich tbh, but no one chose to go their then. They could have easily won the CC or fa cup.

If the trophy you mean is the league then fair do's
They were never serious title challengers and what you forget is that Chelsea spent loads before the Russian came in, they signed a load of top players under Vialli and Ranieri (Zola (Gullit signed him but he was one of many top players), Petit, Deschamps, Desailly, Casiraghi (though he never really played) etc etc)...it was nothing new...Abrahmovic just brought more money into it.

Chelsea had no real history either before the Russian and the reason they were 3rd/4th is they spent a shitloads on buying top players.

Xhaka Can’t
18-10-2011, 09:20 PM

I agree Man City have spent a lot of money and it's not fair, difference is now is that they can also attract players because they are capable of winning trophies and player will perceive it to be a club where they can play alongside the best players and win stuff (as well as earn money obviously).

It is all meaningless hollow nothingness.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:22 PM
They were never serious title challengers and what you forget is that Chelsea spent loads before the Russian came in, they signed a load of top players under Vialli and Ranieri (Zola, Petit, Deschamps, Desailly etc etc)...it was nothing new...Abrahmovic just brought more money into it.

Chelsea had no real history either before the Russian and the reason they were 3rd/4th is they spent a shitloads on buying top players.

Yeah agree on chelsea and now you can say they have ambition if you want to, because they are hungry to win even if its short term succuess. Though id rather watch chelsea in the Zola days to now. They played better then and won cups that the club and fans could be pround of.

I agree Jose M gave them more ambition that thay have now.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah agree on chelsea and now you can say they have ambition if you want to, because they are hungry to win even if its short term succuess. Though id rather watch chelsea in the Zola days to now. They played better then and won cups that the club and fans could be pround of.

...and conveniently always bent over for us!

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:27 PM
...and conveniently always bent over for us!

:bow: Kanu hatrick at SB

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Well, their owners are ruining their club and their protesting it. I think AW is ruining our club and I am protesting it.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, their owners are ruining their club and their protesting it. I think AW is ruining our club and I am protesting it.

Good luck to you, Hope your protest works.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 09:40 PM

Doesn't look like you're protesting to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhzPihLlKk

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Good luck to you, Hope your protest works.

Probably wont! At least I will walk the talk, not just talk the talk!

Like a great man said "Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Doesn't look like you're protesting to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhzPihLlKk

Oh come on, I am! You just cant pick the accent.. I am actually saying Wenger Out! ;)

McNamara That Ghost...
18-10-2011, 09:48 PM
All this from a win eh?

The next defeat could finish GW off for good.

Xhaka Can’t
18-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Probably wont! At least I will walk the talk, not just talk the talk!

Like a great man said "Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Do it on your own pal, coz I won't be helping you out with a ticket this time.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:51 PM
All this from a win eh?

GW's ahey were all Nuttier then a Marathon Bar

Letters
18-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Thing is if you look at the general view of Chelsea they're success was respected by many and nowadays all of Europe take them seriously, the fact you don't doesn't make a whole lot of difference because history is history and that says they won x trophies under Mourinho.

Of course they're taken seriously as they're a top club now and yes, history will show how many trophies they've won.
It'll also show that they won bugger all (more or less) before Abramovic came along. If you respect the 'achievements' of a club who so blatently bought success then fine, I don't. Yeah, they were a bit higher up than City when Abramovic came along but they'd not have had anywhere near the success they've had without him. City were in mid-table when they were taken over, it shows you can do it with any club if you pour enough money in for long enough.

If all you care about is end result and don't care how it was achieved then, again, fine, but I don't. Hence my ever increasing disinterest in a sport where money plays an ever increasing role. From the start of the season it was pretty clear who the top 3 would be this year. OK, we don't know in which order but still, it's not good for a sport to be so predictable.

With our resources we should be up there in the top 4, if we're not then that is a failing in the way the club is run. With the money we generate and the prices we're paying to go along we should be expecting more but I wouldn't want to be just another billionaire's plaything splashing silly money around on mercenaries.

So much is wrong with football these days and most of it comes down to money. Clubs buying success, players being unlikeable mercenaries from all 4 corners of the globe with no real connection to the club or the fans. If it wasn't for dad wanting to renew and going along pretty much being the backbone of our relationship there's no way I'd have renewed.

Like I said. Football :rose:

Xhaka Can’t
18-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Of course they're taken seriously as they're a top club now and yes, history will show how many trophies they've won.
It'll also show that they won bugger all (more or less) before Abramovic came along. If you respect the 'achievements' of a club who so blatently bought success then fine, I don't. Yeah, they were a bit higher up than City when Abramovic came along but they'd not have had anywhere near the success they've had without him. City were in mid-table when they were taken over, it shows you can do it with any club if you pour enough money in for long enough.

If all you care about is end result and don't care how it was achieved then, again, fine, but I don't. Hence my ever increasing disinterest in a sport where money plays an ever increasing role. From the start of the season it was pretty clear who the top 3 would be this year. OK, we don't know in which order but still, it's not good for a sport to be so predictable.

With our resources we should be up there in the top 4, if we're not then that is a failing in the way the club is run. With the money we generate and the prices we're paying to go along we should be expecting more but I wouldn't want to be just another billionaire's plaything splashing silly money around on mercenaries.

So much is wrong with football these days and most of it comes down to money. Clubs buying success, players being unlikeable mercenaries from all 4 corners of the globe with no real connection to the club or the fans. If it wasn't for dad wanting to renew and going along pretty much being the backbone of our relationship there's no way I'd have renewed.

Spot on.

I've barely watched any football in the top flight that doesn't include Arsenal for the past 2 or 3 years and now I'm watching less of that too.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 09:57 PM
All this from a win eh?

Nah, there have been enough opportunities for it happen. GW is made of stern stuff.

:unsure:

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Do it on your own pal, coz I won't be helping you out with a ticket this time.

Well, if you help me, thats great or else I'll try elsewhere. Worst case scenario, I'll do it outside the stadium!

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Why cant we be like Utd? Spend what we make, have a good manager and win trophies on merit rather than wait on sugar daddies? :(

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, if you help me, thats great or else I'll try elsewhere. Worst case scenario, I'll do it outside the stadium!

I can imagine it now. An Asian tourist with a little Wenger out placard inviting people to join him.

Your health and well being would be in no danger at all.

Letters
18-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Why cant we be like Utd? Spend what we make, have a good manager and win trophies on merit rather than wait on sugar daddies? :(

We do have a good manager although I feel his idealism (which may be similar to my ranting here) is getting in the way of a more pragmatic approach which, like it or not, is needed these days. It has to be said that Utd's resources are greater than ours but we could be doing more too. It'll be interesting to see how Utd do over the next few seasons. Brilliant as he is Fergie has only had one billionaire-fuelled team to contend with till recently. Now there's two it's going to be harder. There's no doubt that Fergie > Wenger. But seriously fella, Wenger > most managers. Not saying there aren't others around who could do better but there aren't loads IMO.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I can imagine it now. An Asian tourist with a little Wenger out placard inviting people to join him.

Your health and well being would be in no danger at all.

:lol:

Pretty much.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 10:07 PM
We do have a good manager although I feel his idealism (which may be similar to my ranting here) is getting in the way of a more pragmatic approach which, like it or not, is needed these days. It has to be said that Utd's resources are greater than ours but we could be doing more too. It'll be interesting to see how Utd do over the next few seasons. Brilliant as he is Fergie has only had one billionaire-fuelled team to contend with till recently. Now there's two it's going to be harder. There's no doubt that Fergie > Wenger. But seriously fella, Wenger > most managers. Not saying there aren't others around who could do better but there aren't loads IMO.

Wenger was greater than most managers till 06. After that something got switched off and he is nowhere near being close to a top manager. His failures (which I have mentioned countless times) are just baffling and are not the signs of a manager > most managers! You may disagree but I personally believe that in terms of tactics and leadership, he is probably one of the worst 3 or 4 in the PL.

Letters
18-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Football has changed, not Wenger. And while I agree that he needed to keep up with the times more you don't keep a team top 4 in the era of billionaires by being as incompetent as you're making out. And it's NOT been a steady decline, the Invincibles fell apart in 2 seasons to the point we struggled to finish top 4, lasagnagate etc. Wenger then built a young side on the cheap which while too mentally week to finish the job was technically good enough to challenge for the title more than once. Again, not the actions of the bumbling idiot you seem to think.

Most of 2011 has been baffling and frustrating but I put most of that down to meeting MrsL (I first met her just after we beat Barca at home, check out the results since. QED)

Syn
18-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I can feel myself getting dumber every time I read stuff from certain posters. Quite tedious. The one interesting thing I read was that Chelsea and, now, Man City will have bought success and it becomes uninteresting when it pretty much always boils down to which billionnaire owner has the deepest pockets. I agree with that. There is the issue of where you draw the line....some clubs will always have an inherent advantage. Man Utd have had a huge advantage because of their previous successes and have spent a fuckload of money in the last 10 years. That has helped them stay at the top. We would agree that they have earned that right and it's different from being handed it like what has happened to Chelsea and Man City. But at what point does it become 'enough' of a reward and, in particular, uncompetitive for football in general? It's a virtuous cycle and it's clear that not everyone has an equal chance. There are other advantages...we have a geographical advantage of being near central London. It's never going to be a level playing field.

Everyone will have their own line, but I'd guess that for 95% (including nearly all non top-league fans), a team being allowed to play real-life FM with the unlimited money cheat ala Man City is not even close to it. As Letters said - most of the problems of football today is because of the obscene money involved. There has to be more regulation. Salary caps, transfer caps. Other than money there are still other problems - there has to be retrospective punishment. Permitted use of video technology. A much more transparent rating system for referees - punishment for poor performing refs and better rewards for good refereeing performances. A lot of shit needs to be sorted out. I do believe that strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. Vote Syn for UEFA Presidency.