PDA

View Full Version : Walcott - Play him as a striker or don't play him at all

Grebbo
17-10-2011, 07:37 AM
He's quick and is a good finisher.

He's crap on the wing and can't cross.

RVP is the only striker at the club.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what to do does it?

Power n Glory
17-10-2011, 09:16 AM
It makes no sense playing him on the wing. None what so ever. A complete waste of time and it’s like we’re an extra man down. We’d be better off giving Ryo and The Ox game time out there. They have the pace and most importantly, they can dribble.

Theo can’t dribble to save his life. Totally useless at beating his man. Wings backs can see him coming from a mile off and read all of his telegraphed moves. He doesn’t even look to receive the ball from deep. He was making runs and looking for people to play him in all day yesterday but that’s not the function of a winger.

Theo might as well leave if he wants to play as a striker. Wenger won’t change the formation for him and he might as well because the third man in our middle is practically useless. Arteta is garbage and Ramsey is pretty useless. We might as well play 4-4-2 with Rosicky and Song in the middle. Even if we don’t play Theo up front, we could get a great deal more out of Arsahvin if he’s around the box more. We all saw what little Mozart can do when on the edge of the box yesterday. That’s the area he should be in for most of the game and shouldn’t be busting a gut down the flanks wasting energy if he hasn’t got the DNA for it.

Then we’ve got Park and Chamakh to think about. Neither of these players are suited for a lone striker role and would benefit from someone like Arshavin or RVP playing alongside them threading them through on goal. So far, I’ve never seen us play a game where all of our three central midfield players are completely bossing it like the Barca trio. Wenger has adjust it.

Cripps_orig
17-10-2011, 06:32 PM
It makes no sense playing him on the wing. None what so ever. A complete waste of time and it’s like we’re an extra man down. We’d be better off giving Ryo and The Ox game time out there. They have the pace and most importantly, they can dribble.

Theo can’t dribble to save his life. Totally useless at beating his man. Wings backs can see him coming from a mile off and read all of his telegraphed moves. He doesn’t even look to receive the ball from deep. He was making runs and looking for people to play him in all day yesterday but that’s not the function of a winger.

Theo might as well leave if he wants to play as a striker. Wenger won’t change the formation for him and he might as well because the third man in our middle is practically useless. Arteta is garbage and Ramsey is pretty useless. We might as well play 4-4-2 with Rosicky and Song in the middle. Even if we don’t play Theo up front, we could get a great deal more out of Arsahvin if he’s around the box more. We all saw what little Mozart can do when on the edge of the box yesterday. That’s the area he should be in for most of the game and shouldn’t be busting a gut down the flanks wasting energy if he hasn’t got the DNA for it.

Then we’ve got Park and Chamakh to think about. Neither of these players are suited for a lone striker role and would benefit from someone like Arshavin or RVP playing alongside them threading them through on goal. So far, I’ve never seen us play a game where all of our three central midfield players are completely bossing it like the Barca trio. Wenger has adjust it.

Hes a bit shit tbh

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 06:08 AM

:gp:

Simple logic yet the man responsible for the team cant see it or overlooks it. It bugs me no end to see AW just not noticing the obvious. What on earth is wrong with him? Is he on meth, cocaine or something? This doesnt make sense..

Fats
18-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I have been a fan of Walcotts since he arrived at the club.

I think he has more to his game than pace too. He can see a pass now and thats a huge improvement from few years ago. He can also tackle and track his runner.

Thing is his improvement is maybe not enough and his form and influence on a match inconsistent.

One thing I judge some of our players on is if we had to play against them if they played for a different team, and would we be worried to their threat.

Unfortunately If he was on the oppositions team sheet I dont think I would be too worried.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 12:25 PM
:gp:

Simple logic yet the man responsible for the team cant see it or overlooks it. It bugs me no end to see AW just not noticing the obvious. What on earth is wrong with him? Is he on meth, cocaine or something? This doesnt make sense..

does he not play in the wing for england too, so Capello must on what Wenger is then not to see it.

end of the day theo is not good enough no matter what team he plays in.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 12:34 PM
does he not play in the wing for england too, so Capello must on what Wenger is then not to see it.

International football is different to club football. Walcott gets picked for England because of what he does on the wing for Arsenal. Fabio can't risk playing him in a new position and can't offer the same consistant chances to see if he clicks there. At Arsenal, we develop players so it's a different story. We can afford to give him a few games up front for a Carling Cup game or a few sub apperances up front. It makes no sense going down this path when it wasn't the road he was on when playing for Southampton.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 12:37 PM
International football is different to club football. Walcott gets picked for England because of what he does on the wing for Arsenal. Fabio can't risk playing him in a new position and can't offer the same consistant chances to see if he clicks there. At Arsenal, we develop players so it's a different story. We can afford to give him a few games up front for a Carling Cup game or a few sub apperances up front. It makes no sense going down this path when it wasn't the road he was on when playing for Southampton.

im not saying he should be played on the left or on the wing i agree down the middle, my point was even though wenger( for whatever reason) plays him on the wing, Capello could play him upfront if he thought it was more benefical to him. For some reason he keeps him on the wing when he is not effective.

Flavs
18-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Stick him and Ju up front in a 4-4-2 against Bolton and see what happens

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/09/is_walcott_destined_to_play_up.html

Worth a read.

Following the Bulgaria game, Walcott, who was signed from Southampton in January 2006, said: "I'm not a natural winger, I was bought as a striker. If you are on the flanks, you have to make the runs anyway. You can't stay quiet on the wings and Arsenal are not the sort of team who will cross it anyway. We try and walk it into the net.

"I am not demanding anything - I will play anywhere for club and country - but hopefully if I keep on putting it out there with the manager, it will come. I would love it if it happens."

He knows his game is suited for the right wing but that's where he's been told to play and I'm pretty sure he's aware of the criticism. I'll give him credit for sticking with it, but most players would have left Wenger by now. This is ruining his reputation but luckily his confidence is still there because he keeps on going.

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 12:55 PM
im not saying he should be played on the left or on the wing i agree down the middle, my point was even though wenger( for whatever reason) plays him on the wing, Capello could play him upfront if he thought it was more benefical to him. For some reason he keeps him on the wing when he is not effective.

Fabio can’t pick Theo to play as a striker ahead of Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch…etc. If Fabio needed a pacey striker to get on the end of moves and finish them off, he has plenty of options. We, on the other hand, don’t have that luxury. We don’t have a Defoe, Owen, Hernandez type striker in the squad and we’re in need of one. We could go out and buy one or give Theo the chance he’s been asking for.

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 02:12 PM

And he isnt really setting the world on fire for England either! I know he got a hattrick 3 years ago or so but really he is not the best player out there. He plays there because Lennon is injured most of the time or is crap.

selassie
18-10-2011, 04:41 PM
And he isnt really setting the world on fire for England either! I know he got a hattrick 3 years ago or so but really he is not the best player out there. He plays there because Lennon is injured most of the time or is crap.

I think Theo will lose his play in the England team to Sturridge sooner or later. He needs to really step it up or he could well miss out on the Euros altogether.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/09/is_walcott_destined_to_play_up.html

Worth a read.

He knows his game is suited for the right wing but that's where he's been told to play and I'm pretty sure he's aware of the criticism. I'll give him credit for sticking with it, but most players would have left Wenger by now. This is ruining his reputation but luckily his confidence is still there because he keeps on going.

Problem with theo, is that his finsishing is terrible atm. he might know where he wants to play, but is he good enough to play there ?

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Problem with theo, is that his finsishing is terrible atm. he might know where he wants to play, but is he good enough to play there ?

Wenger isn't playing him on the wings because he can't finish. Wenger keeps saying his future is as a striker so you have to question why he's on the wings. I think Wenger is trying to develop his dribbling skills, left foot and passing ability. That's the only reason why I think he's do that because I know he tries to get players to work on their weak areas.

Next time Theo is playing and the next goal he scores, watch his shot technique and compare it to the rest of the midfield players. Sometimes he looks rusty but he attempts stuff and normal midield player just wouldn't. Chips, dinks, lifting it over the keeper, curling shots... his technique is good and you can see he has that striker instinct the way he opens up his body when goes to shoot and how confident looks when through on goal. Keep an eye on that stuff and watch Chamakh, Gervinho, Ramsey etc in comparison.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Wenger isn't playing him on the wings because he can't finish. Wenger keeps saying his future is as a striker so you have to question why he's on the wings. I think Wenger is trying to develop his dribbling skills, left foot and passing ability. That's the only reason why I think he's do that because I know he tries to get players to work on their weak areas.

Next time Theo is playing and the next goal he scores, watch his shot technique and compare it to the rest of the midfield players. Sometimes he looks rusty but he attempts stuff and normal midield player just wouldn't. Chips, dinks, lifting it over the keeper, curling shots... his technique is good and you can see he has that striker instinct the way he opens up his body when goes to shoot and how confident looks when through on goal. Keep an eye on that stuff and watch Chamakh, Gervinho, Ramsey etc in comparison.

Never said he was

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Never said he was

Forget it. Get some rest. You're not with it today.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Forget it. Get some rest. You're not with it today.

Neitther is your face

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Charlie has gone mental over the past month.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:15 PM

So's your face lol

Power n Glory
18-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Perfect name for him.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Perfect name for him.

bit harsh

LDG
19-10-2011, 08:55 AM
:haha:

Syn
19-10-2011, 10:40 AM
:haha:

LDG
08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
So when RVP breaks down.

Is it not a chance to put Theo through the middle, and stick AOC out wide?

Was just thinking. If we don't go out and buy a striker in January, do we just revert to all out pace? #justsayingollietakesitupthearse

Syn
08-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd stick the fat fuck through the middle...his lack of tracking back wouldn't hurt as much and he'd be pretty good if his only job was finishing off chances and playing with his back to goal.

Theo is doing well on the wing recently - playing with a lot of confidence. Wouldn't mess with that imo.

Kano
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd stick the fat fuck through the middle...his lack of tracking back wouldn't hurt as much and he'd be pretty good if his only job was finishing off chances and playing with his back to goal.

Theo is doing well on the wing recently - playing with a lot of confidence. Wouldn't mess with that imo.

exactly. he's obviously been working hard and is now regularly putting in quality balls to the strikers. buy a striker and leave the lad on the wing, keeping width to our game is essential to us keeping our momentum going.