PDA

View Full Version : Vermaelen Signs New Long-Term Contract

Master Splinter
18-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Vermaelen Signs New Long-Term Contract

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Thomas Vermaelen has signed a new long-term contract with the Club.

The Belgium international has been a star performer in Arsenal’s defence during his 54 appearances for the Club and has now put pen to paper on a new contract.

Vermaelen, 25, made more appearances than any other Gunners player during his debut season, being named in the PFA Premier League Team of the Season for 2009/10. During that campaign, his defensive performances were just part of the story. He also weighed in with eight goals, including thunderous long-range efforts against Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic.

Captain of the Belgium national side Vermaelen has made 32 appearances for his country including the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Vermaelen previously skippered Dutch giants Ajax, where he spent nine years, having joined as a teenager from Belgian club Germinal Beerschot.

Arsène Wenger said: “We are absolutely delighted that Thomas has signed a new long-term contract. Our plan is always to sign top quality players and with Thomas extending his contract, we have done just that. Thomas is a special player, who has always made a huge contribution on the pitch and we are looking forward to him being a part of our future at Arsenal Football Club.”

Vermaelen, who is now closing in on a return to full fitness said: “I am really happy to have signed a new contract with Arsenal. I always had the intention to stay here. I feel there is a big belief in me from the Club, from the boss and from the fans and that is one of the reasons why I stayed. Arsenal is a fantastic Club. We have great supporters, we’re doing well financially and we are playing with some quality young players now and they will develop, which is very good for the future.”

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club is looking forward to Thomas’ continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/vermaelen-signs-new-long-term-contract

I thought this was quite big news. And good news. I'm sorry if to post this good news on GW, but maybe a few people might be pleased to see a fantastic player sign a new deal.

Vermaelen :scarf:.

Cripps_orig
18-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Not surprised.

No other team would want an injury prone player so this is as good as it gets for him

selassie
18-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Good news.

Özim
18-10-2011, 04:40 PM
VERMAELEN ARSENAL APPEARANCES

2011-12: Four
2010-11: Five
2009-10: 45

I reckon we should be good for 3 appearances next season.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Good news.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2011, 05:55 PM
We need to get him back playing. All this time on the sidelines is killing his transfer value, although the new contract will help. Anyway, I'm off to stuff children up chimneys and dig down the back of your sofa to see if I can rustle up some wonga. Then it's caviare, champers and a couple of premium fagboys. xxx PHW

Ollie the Optimist
18-10-2011, 06:05 PM
great news.

but another point, people moan when we dont sign our best players up to contracts yet moan when we do. with some fans, the club cant win

fakeyank
18-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Great news! Hope he can stay fit.. now to get the big fish.. RVP!

Özim
18-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Nobody would have any complaints if they are the best "fit" players, this guy has been injured for a season and a half and had half a good season the season before.

He's decent but hardly world class or irreplaceable. Our best players are gone bar RVP I'm afraid...what we have left are good players not top class ones.

We don't see to re-sign our "best players", they invariably leave if they're any good and can stay fit.

Ollie the Optimist
18-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Nobody would have any complaints if they are the best "fit" players, this guy has been injured for a season and a half and had half a good season the season before.

He's decent but hardly world class or irreplaceable. Our best players are gone bar RVP I'm afraid...what we have left are good players not top class ones.

We don't see to re-sign our "best players", they invariably leave if they're any good and can stay fit.

take that point but no doubt many will have moaned if he had left on a free. wenger cant win whatever he does with some people as they can always justify (in their minds) why he is wrong.

oh and i hope that comment saying we only have good players not top class ones is a joke. cos if not, then you are deluded as we have RVP, jack, ches just to name three who would walk into any prem team

Coney
18-10-2011, 06:35 PM
take that point but no doubt many will have moaned if he had left on a free. wenger cant win whatever he does with some people as they can always justify (in their minds) why he is wrong.

oh and i hope that comment saying we only have good players not top class ones is a joke. cos if not, then you are deluded as we have RVP, jack, ches just to name three who would walk into any prem team

He is doing what other managers do when they are slagged off. Not winning. The technique analysis is a mixture of good stuff and complete bollocks. If he goes on a winning run and gets some trophies, using the same players and the same tactics, he will be the best thing since chicken jalfrezi sliced bread.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Granted he has had the , and we can only hope that when he comes back next that those injuries are left behind for good.

FFS those seeing the negative first of our best CB signing a new contract before the positive need tgeir heads examining

Özim
19-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Granted he has had the , and we can only hope that when he comes back next that those injuries are left behind for good.

FFS those seeing the negative first of our best CB signing a new contract before the positive need tgeir heads examining
He's a permacrock and barely ever plays so it's hardly anything to get overexcited about, moreover he's managed half a good season in his Arsenal career so far so he's still to prove he can deliver good performances for a whole season.

Was is a good idea to keep Rosicky on for so long, a guy who was always injured and then when he did come back was pretty average?

Re-signing players like RVP at this stage would be something to get excited about, not this.

LDG
19-10-2011, 08:20 AM
He's a permacrock and barely ever plays so it's hardly anything to get overexcited about, moreover he's managed half a good season in his Arsenal career so far so he's still to prove he can deliver good performances for a whole season.

Was is a good idea to keep Rosicky on for so long, a guy who was always injured and then when he did come back was pretty average?

Re-signing players like RVP at this stage would be something to get excited about, not this.

You mean RVP who has also been injury prone for most of his Arsenal career?

Jeez man. Sort it out.

Letters
19-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Roffle.

Özim
19-10-2011, 08:32 AM
You mean RVP who has also been injury prone for most of his Arsenal career?

Jeez man. Sort it out.
Yes very true except now he's managing to stay fit and is our only goalscorer.

Japan Shaking All Over
19-10-2011, 08:40 AM

FFS shoot me in the face......I dont think anyone has you put it is 'getting excited' but TV signing a new contract is not exactly jump of the highest bridge time is it.......I remember people calling Clichy a sicknote but he got over that bump and became a regular fixture in the team (for what is was worth!). There is no reason why we cant think the same.....feel free to quote me later if Im turn out to be wrong.

Rosicky? - yes.....ummmmm lets leave it as I think he played well on Saturday

LDG
19-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes very true except now he's managing to stay fit and is our only goalscorer.

Yet if vermaelen didn't sign, then went on to put in regular brilliant performances for City or Utd or Barca etc...then you would complain.

He's a top player, and we should be happy to have him tied down.

Fats
19-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Why do we constantly BASH Zimm when he brings up very valid points.

This is great news if Verm can stay get and stay fit. He is a fantastic player when so.

If we give a new contract to the best player in the world and he cant play due to constant injuries whats the point.

If as a club we keep giving crocks a contract worth thousands running into millions of pounds then moan that we "live within our means" and cant find an additional 1-2 million for a player that can play a high percentage of games, then something is mentally wrong with these people.

Niall_Quinn
19-10-2011, 09:45 AM

And so, therefore, we do not bash Zimm! And all is well.

Letters
19-10-2011, 09:46 AM

He spends two paragraphs above saying how we're giving players who are always injured long contracts and the final one saying how we should be trying to get RvP re-signed, a player whose injury record is awful.

I myself have opined in the past that we should have sold RvP. That opinion is looking a bit silly right now as he's carrying us, but if he gets a long term injury again which, given his history, isn't hugely improbable, then what use is he on the treatment table? With players with poor injury records the gamble is always do you keep them and hope they get better luck with injuries or get rid? It's impossible to know really. If you sign them and they spend the next 5 years mostly on the treatment table then it's easy to look back with 20:20 hindsight and say it was a bad decision. If you sell them and they spend the next 5 years playing consistently well for someone else then you can say that was a bad decision too.

Fats
19-10-2011, 10:03 AM
And so, therefore, we do not bash Zimm! And all is well.

Attacking him personally for what his views are is pointless

Fats
19-10-2011, 10:06 AM
He spends two paragraphs above saying how we're giving players who are always injured long contracts and the final one saying how we should be trying to get RvP re-signed, a player whose injury record is awful.

I myself have opined in the past that we should have sold RvP. That opinion is looking a bit silly right now as he's carrying us, but if he gets a long term injury again which, given his history, isn't hugely improbable, then what use is he on the treatment table? With players with poor injury records the gamble is always do you keep them and hope they get better luck with injuries or get rid? It's impossible to know really. If you sign them and they spend the next 5 years mostly on the treatment table then it's easy to look back with 20:20 hindsight and say it was a bad decision. If you sell them and they spend the next 5 years playing consistently well for someone else then you can say that was a bad decision too.

Understood but a player that has had no real opportunity to prove he has shaken off injury problems is given a new contract.

RVP has shown quality, always has, I as you have Letters have had reservations about the very point in keeping him, but when he plays consistently well it makes it worth it.

Marc Overmars
19-10-2011, 10:11 AM
RVP was worth keeping for his 3 months a season because he was still more prolific than anyone we had tbh.

LDG
19-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Understood but a player that has had no real opportunity to prove he has shaken off injury problems is given a new contract.

RVP has shown quality, always has, I as you have Letters have had reservations about the very point in keeping him, but when he plays consistently well it makes it worth it.

Sorry dude, but RVP has been given a number of new contracts, and off the back of some very long lay offs. You quite rightly point out that he is worth it, as his talent is undeniable when fit.

However, exactly the same can be said with Vermaelen when fit. Everyone has been desperate to have him back and playing, and the reason for this, is that he is a very talented, committed, leader and defender. It's obvious from watching him what he can bring to the side.

So, it wasn't zimm-basing, per say, it was picking up on the negativity he exuded when everyone was actually pleased to have some good news. His point may be valid to an extent, but you can't on the one hand say Vermaelen signing is not positive, yet RVP signing would be, when both players have been injury prone, and both players have talent.

Syn
19-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Great news. Don't know about anyone else, but I think it'll feel like a new signing when we get him back.

In other news, we should play Toure Vermaelen at DM. He needs to share the kicking responsibilities alongside Song otherwise Song is going to get sent off every other game.

bignev
19-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Great news. Don't know about anyone else, but I think it'll feel like a new signing when we get him back.

In other news, we should play Toure Vermaelen at DM. He needs to share the kicking responsibilities alongside Song otherwise Song is going to get sent off every other game.

He could probably do a decent job there. However we need him more in defence so it's a non starter.

server too busy!
19-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I was under the impression that Vermaelens injuries have been down to a strange genetic condition to do with his achilles. They have now been sorted on BOTH feet so it is unlikely he will be facing these spells out again. Also as far as I'm aware these are the only major injuries hes sustained.

Fist of Lehmann
19-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Thought Stoke were the only ones who signed genetic mutants.

Letters
19-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Thought Stoke were the only ones who signed genetic mutants.

No, GW does too.

Fats
19-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry dude, but RVP has been given a number of new contracts, and off the back of some very long lay offs. You quite rightly point out that he is worth it, as his talent is undeniable when fit.

However, exactly the same can be said with Vermaelen when fit. Everyone has been desperate to have him back and playing, and the reason for this, is that he is a very talented, committed, leader and defender. It's obvious from watching him what he can bring to the side.

So, it wasn't zimm-basing, per say, it was picking up on the negativity he exuded when everyone was actually pleased to have some good news. His point may be valid to an extent, but you can't on the one hand say Vermaelen signing is not positive, yet RVP signing would be, when both players have been injury prone, and both players have talent.

I think RVP's situation is different than Verm's

RVP has a history with the club of which an additional contract extension and subsequant pay rise would have been off the back of performances and longevity.

Verms has been with us 3 seasons and as much as I really like him as a player, he had 1 good season. Im not sure that qualifies as such.

Im glad however that he has a contract extension, but when you hear the club pleading poverty it sticks in the throat.

Fats
19-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression that Vermaelens injuries have been down to a strange genetic condition to do with his achilles. They have now been sorted on BOTH feet so it is unlikely he will be facing these spells out again. Also as far as I'm aware these are the only major injuries hes sustained.

Yup but since he has not played consistency so we dont know the effects on playing week in week out as yet.

Syn
19-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Achilles...if you've fucked them up, what happens? You can't jump high? You can't run fast? If so, it's a bit of a handicap for a central defender ain't it?

Fist of Lehmann
19-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I think RVP's situation is different than Verm's

RVP has a history with the club of which an additional contract extension and subsequant pay rise would have been off the back of performances and longevity.

Yeah but...
How'd do you think he established that history or longevity with the club?

He did it by signing new contracts, despite the fact that he had never given us a whole season. (And still hasn't).

We didn't sign him on a 9 year contract at 21 you know.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Syn, you can do all those things, it's just more likely they'll hurt them again. I'll clarify - it's not an injury you can't recover from...it's just the weakness is more exposed than any other possible long term injury, except possibly for the back.

Syn
19-10-2011, 11:13 AM
"He has had the problem on both sides, it is exactly the same injury," Wenger said. "It is a little tendon called plantaris that pushes on your achilles tendon … only 25% of the population has it. It must come from the time when we were animals, on our four feet.

"The only difference is that for the first injury [last season], it took us a while to find the real source because at the start everybody said, 'It's an achilles problem' because he felt the pain there but when we made the scan, the achilles was completely clean. It's an injury that exists … one that has only been discovered 18 months ago.

"There's no medical reason why he should not play 50 games on the trot now. I was always a bit suspicions [about] why should it happen only on one side. I thought that at some stage the other side will come as well and it did."

Not very Christian of Arsene, is it?

I like reading Wenger's comments these days. Sounds like a more intelligent Karl Pilkington, IMO. Usually worth a chuckle.

Syn
19-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Syn, you can do all those things, it's just more likely they'll hurt them again. I'll clarify - it's not an injury you can't recover from...it's just the weakness is more exposed than any other possible long term injury, except possibly for the back.

Ah, ok - cheers.

I'll take your word over our medical team. Seriously.

Fist of Lehmann
19-10-2011, 11:15 AM
No, GW does too.:lol:

Wait...who signed these mutants?

Letters out tbf.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Ah, ok - cheers.

I'll take your word over our medical team. Seriously.

Thanks, I think.

Coney
19-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Achilles...if you've fucked them up, what happens? You can't jump high? You can't run fast? If so, it's a bit of a handicap for a central defender ain't it?

Not if you are signing for the Arsenal.

Coney
19-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by The Guardian

"He has had the problem on both sides, it is exactly the same injury," Wenger said. "It is a little tendon called plantaris that pushes on your achilles tendon … only 25% of the population has it. It must come from the time when we were animals, on our four feet.

"The only difference is that for the first injury [last season], it took us a while to find the real source because at the start everybody said, 'It's an achilles problem' because he felt the pain there but when we made the scan, the achilles was completely clean. It's an injury that exists … one that has only been discovered 18 months ago.

"There's no medical reason why he should not play 50 games on the trot now. I was always a bit suspicions [about] why should it happen only on one side. I thought that at some stage the other side will come as well and it did."

Not very Christian of Arsene, is it?

I like reading Wenger's comments these days. Sounds like a more intelligent Karl Pilkington, IMO. Usually worth a chuckle.

Only problem is that if he is waiting for the squad to evolve into a winning team by natural selection, we may be waiting a few millenia for our next trophy.

Letters
19-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Only problem is that if he is waiting for the squad to evolve into a winning team by natural selection, we may be waiting a few millenia for our next trophy.

:d

It's like in one of the HGTTG books Douglas Adams writes about a world cup where players could be generically engineered and Scotland played one with a goalkeeper who was just a flap of skin 24 feet wide by 8 feet high and still failed to qualify for the 2nd round. :lol:

IBK
19-10-2011, 01:53 PM
For me the principal issue is not whether or not he is going to get injured in future. Vermaelen is now one of our senior, and regarded as one of our best players. If we are to stauch the flow of our best players leaving and inject a bit of self confidence into the team, then we need to be re-signing players. I would imagine that RVP would regard Vermaelen as our best defender, and an important voice on the pitch. The fact Vermaelen has committed himself to the club can't be a bad thing as regards RVP's future intentions.

Coney
19-10-2011, 06:28 PM
For me the principal issue is not whether or not he is going to get injured in future. Vermaelen is now one of our senior, and regarded as one of our best players. If we are to stauch the flow of our best players leaving and inject a bit of self confidence into the team, then we need to be re-signing players. I would imagine that RVP would regard Vermaelen as our best defender, and an important voice on the pitch. The fact Vermaelen has committed himself to the club can't be a bad thing as regards RVP's future intentions.

It certainly can't hurt.

Cripps_orig
19-10-2011, 06:33 PM
It certainly can't hurt.

Well it can if Wenger uses the "We are not looking to buy a CB cos it will kill Vermaelen" BS cos if Vermaelen cant get fit then signing a contract meaning Wenger wont sign another CB will hurt us

Özim
19-10-2011, 07:13 PM

OK let me qualify what I said, RVP IMO is and always has been a special talent.....even as his one of his biggest supporters I've had my doubts though as he was constantly injured, if we'd have no given him a new contract I couldn't have argued as his injury record was awful. My comment about him is based on him seemingly staying fit more these days and basically being our only goalscorer, without him we have noone.

Vermalen isn't in the same class IMO, decent player yes but he's had half a good season, the second half was he was average, moreover he's been almost permanently injured since then..I question the decision to hand a long term contract (I'm thinking 4 years at least) to a player who hasn't proved he can stay fit, as Cripps pointed out this will also stop us signing anyone else....because Wenger will base all his decisions on the fact he at the club...fit or not.

We can't seem to find an extra few million to sign top players and yet hand out contracts to all and sundry as if it's as easy as taking a p*ss, if you asked me would I rather keep Vermaelen or give Van Persie more money by saving the money we'd pay Vermy, I'd go for the latter.....simply because RVP is the only world class player we have left at the club. If we lose him we really are a club moving one way, unfortunately it's not up.

As for Verm, re-signing him will mean a lot more when he's played regularly and has proved he's top quality and other clubs have shown interest, re-signing crocks isn't hard.....they don't exactly have many options open to them.

Cripps_orig
22-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Thomas Vermaelen claims to have no intention of leaving Arsenal, with it his desire to repay the faith shown in him by the club and Arsene Wenger.

The Belgium international arrived at Emirates Stadium from Ajax in 2009 and has gone on to become a key figure in the Gunners' first team plans.

His presence within their back four is considered to make Arsenala much stronger outfit, with his recent injury troubles having seen them struggle.

Vermaelen is honoured to be a leading figure at such an illustrious club and has hinted that he will look to see out his playing days in North London.

"I have no intention of leaving this club," the 26-year-old defender told the Sunday Mirror.

"I feel at home in London and I feel that I have become a real Gunner. Arsenal is my club. In my eyes, they belong to the absolute elite of European top clubs.

"We are going for the Champions League again and this team can grow further.

"When I was young, I dreamed of playing for Ajax and Arsenal. Both dreams have come true."

Wenger handed Vermaelen the opportunity to fulfil his Gunners dream and he will be forever grateful to the French coach for sticking by him during his injury hell.

He added: "I have never known a manager so loyal to his players. He shows immense trust and has shown incredible loyalty towards me.

"I was sidelined for a long time with two nasty injuries. But it was under the orders of the manager that the board gave me a new contract until 2015. I can't describe the joy that gave me."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7692151/Vermaelen-is-a-Gunner-for-life

Hows he been this season?

Olivier's xmas twist
22-04-2012, 11:03 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7692151/Vermaelen-is-a-Gunner-for-life

Hows he been this season?

Not great by his Standards. But he is class, so this is good news.

Marc Overmars
23-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Got to love his enthusiasm to get forward, he's our 2nd best striker after all.

But he probably needs to work on his erratic defending at times. I think this is the type of CB he will always be though, so we just need to accept the good with the bad.

Cripps_orig
31-05-2012, 11:07 AM
THOMAS VERMAELEN has handed Arsenal a boost by vowing to see out his career at the club.

The 26-year-old Belgian star has been in superb form for the Gunners since moving to North London from Ajax in a £10million deal in 2009.

And while Robin van Persie's future at the Emirates remains unclear, Vermaelen is in no doubt as to where he will end his playing days.

He said: "I will stay at Arsenal forever. I love London. I've got a house there, I'm happy there and I don't see any reason to ever leave the club."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4348560/Thomas-Vermaelen-I-will-finish-my-career-at-Arsenal.html

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice to see a player trying to stay at the club rather than get the fuck out. An a quality player too. He may not be the best defender on the planet but he's not Cygan or Stepanovs either and certainly represents a step forward rather than back. With Kos and Merts and maybe one more addition in time we could say we have at least stabilised that part of the team. Not before time of course, because it was a complete disaster zone.

Cripps_orig
31-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Harsh on Cygan tbh

hobson's choice
01-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Not great by his Standards. But he is class, so this is good news.

He's never been a class defender, lets not let those goals he scored when he first came,obscure that real fact about his defending. But whatever he's decent, and actually seems to care about the team.

Japan Shaking All Over
01-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Rather see him sign than watch us go through a series of disastrous audtions looking foe a replacement

mastermind84
01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
He's never been a class defender, lets not let those goals he scored when he first came,obscure that real fact about his defending. But whatever he's decent, and actually seems to care about the team.
mmm hmmm

Most overrated non-English defender in the premiership. I have no idea how he has gotten this acclaim as a class defender, and I dont know why Arsenal fans feel the need to bestow that upon him. Arsenal fans have seen what a class centerback is many times over the years. We have one on the team right now to show Vermaelen what that is in Koscielny.

And laawd help us if Wenger makes him captain.

-Xs-
01-06-2012, 02:07 AM

Who, Vermaelen? He doesn't want to leave, so that's not going to happen...

GP
01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Class defender.

Marc Overmars
01-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Merts and Kos is probably our most effective pairing.

However Vermaelen is vice-captain and by definition that means he's likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Kano
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Merts and Kos is probably our most effective pairing.

However Vermaelen is vice-captain and by definition that means he's likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

which is the problem. hopefully bould can coach some discipline into verm to stop him marauding off into the sunset every other minute

Özim
01-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Decent player, if not the most disciplined defensively.

We never have a problem getting players who aren't really attracting the interest of other clubs signing a new contract though, it's just those club are after we never seem to be able to hold on to.

Marc Overmars
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
which is the problem. hopefully bould can coach some discipline into verm to stop him marauding off into the sunset every other minute

Must be a hard role to fulfil being the bedrock of the defence but also our 2nd best striker.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Must be a hard role to fulfil being the bedrock of the defence but also our 2nd best striker.

Podolski can provide some cover for him now, so it will be easier.

IBK
01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Decent player, if not the most disciplined defensively.

We never have a problem getting players who aren't really attracting the interest of other clubs signing a new contract though, it's just those club are after we never seem to be able to hold on to.

An obvious point but a correct one.

Syn
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Class defender.

Indeed.

One of the first names on the team-sheet for me.

Joker
01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Needs to work on his defending though you can't fault his effort or determination. However, the fact that he contributes offensively shouldn't blind us to his defensive faults. He was part of a defence that conceded a lot of goals last season, so plenty of improvement needed.

Cripps_orig
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Need to see how he and Merts do for a longer run of games.

They are our 2 best CBs and looked pretty good for a bit.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Need to see how he and Merts do for a longer run of games.

They are our 2 best CBs and looked pretty good for a bit.

:console:

selassie
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Yup, I like him as a player but he is a bit of a wanderer.

mastermind84
01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Class defender.
when has he shown that?

every decent attacker he goes goes up against, he gets mugged

He is literally our David Luiz

McNamara That Ghost...
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Yup, I like him as a player but he is a bit of a wanderer.

Like a drifter he was born to walk alone.

GP
01-06-2012, 01:59 PM
when has he shown that?

Every week

mastermind84
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Every week
look, he has a great shot but I prefer my centerbacks to defend.

Flavs
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Sell him, he's shit!

mastermind84
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
didnt say he should be sold either. I just dont see this "class" defender.

Flavs
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Like a drifter he was born to walk alone.

hey, you know what you should do? Get your dad to try and pick a fight with that guy...

McNamara That Ghost...
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
hey, you know what you should do? Get your dad to try and pick a fight with that guy...

:lol:

He deserves it.

GP
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
look, he has a great shot but I prefer my centerbacks to defend.

Yeah, he's class, I agree.

mastermind84
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah, he's class, I agree.
yeah, you have a lower standard for what it takes to be a class defender.

mastermind84
19-05-2013, 05:54 PM
mmm hmmm

Most overrated non-English defender in the premiership. I have no idea how he has gotten this acclaim as a class defender, and I dont know why Arsenal fans feel the need to bestow that upon him. Arsenal fans have seen what a class centerback is many times over the years. We have one on the team right now to show Vermaelen what that is in Koscielny.

:rose:

milla
19-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Kos :bow:

BOBN
19-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Last few pages proves who does and doesnt know what the fook theyre looking at. Simple as that.

Football fans :haha:

milla
19-05-2013, 06:13 PM
TV5 is a solid CB imo, just out of form. But I do agree, he is never a captain material. :coffee:

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Vermaelen stays as captain.

Also likely to miss the start of the season with injury

Özim
14-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Vermaelen stays as captain.

Also likely to miss the start of the season with injury
Injury you say? That's rather unusual for our club.

At least he'll be like a new signing when he returns.

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Does that mean Pointless being our captain?

We need Fellaini in ASAP

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Does that mean Pointless being our captain?

We need Fellaini in ASAP

when you say pointless, who do you mean? there are 10 others you could be talking about.

bunsco
14-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Grimandi's Perm
Class defender.

Indeed.

One of the first names on the team-sheet for me.

Oh dear.

So after being exposed as being overrated in the art of defending , he's still the first name on the team sheet!

And it's not like he's still firing them in from 20-25yards anymore to mask the fact.

Nah, far from being a true quality defender for me. Good above average PL standard, yes ,but needs more to convince me of first on the teamsheet status.

cricketsi
14-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Oh dear.

So after being exposed as being overrated in the art of defending , he's still the first name on the team sheet!

And it's not like he's still firing them in from 20-25yards anymore to mask the fact.

Nah, far from being a true quality defender for me. Good above average PL standard, yes ,but needs more to convince me of first on the teamsheet status.

A lot can change in a year. Hopefully this time next year somebody can quote your post and highlight its wrongness.

GP
14-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Oh dear.

Well, he isn't first on the teamsheet. He's decent backup.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh dear.

:lol: get used to them. the dumb and dumber show on here but a thicker version.

bunsco
A lot can change in a year. Hopefully this time next year somebody can quote your post and highlight its wrongness.

I bloody well hope so! I really do.

But after a few years you get a fair idea of how good or how much better an above average player is going to be. So I won't be holding my breath

Cripps_orig
when you say pointless, who do you mean? there are 10 others you could be talking about.

There's pointless and then there's Pointless.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-07-2013, 10:14 PM
There's pointless (syndicate) and then there's Pointless (GayPete)

:gp:

Özil's Panoramic View
14-07-2013, 10:17 PM
:haha:

Cripps_orig
14-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Harsh on Syn. He has plenty of shockers and he thinks he's better than us all but I laugh at him so he's not pointless

No idea who the gay one is.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-07-2013, 10:52 PM
the gay one's the bigger charlie, the other one is more of an ollie.

tjmill
15-07-2013, 10:03 AM
great news if all signed up we need to build team around him from the back imo

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Merts and Kos have had the benefit of being coached for a year by somebody who isn't a myopic loon that loathes defending. Can we assume the other defenders have been allowed to join in the fun? Let's wait and see on TV before everyone rides off on their assorted horses. TV has plenty of positive attributes but a few glaring weaknesses, can they be coached out of him?

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2013, 10:13 AM
The weaknesses I mean. Now that Wenger seems to have handed over responsibilities in that area I assume we won't be coaching the art of defending out of the players any more. You have to hope.

Slacker
25-08-2013, 12:38 PM
I was going to start a thread on this but I've been beaten to the punch. OK he's not going to be around for a few weeks but when he does, what do people think about TV as a DM? AW did a good job converting Petit from an average CD to a world class central midfielder. TV is quick, good in the air, has a good engine, has a mean left foot and can pick out a pass. Or is it that he's not nimble enough to skip, jink, ghost and tippytap the Arsenal way?

Cripps_orig
25-08-2013, 12:47 PM
He's a CB so playing him out of position helps no one.

Expect it to happen then as its a cheaper option than buying someone.

Better than Arteta though

BOBN
25-08-2013, 05:34 PM
AW did a good job converting Petit from an average CD to a world class central midfielder.
He didnt convert a damn thing. Petit was already an established CM/left-back hybrid.

Vermalean doesnt have the positional sense, the technique, the passing range, the temperment and the footballing IQ to play centre midfield for Arsenal. But he would be a good mascot, Gunnarasus is well soft.

Slacker
25-08-2013, 07:31 PM
My bad I thought Petit had not been used as a DM before Arsenal. Can't say I've seen a great deal of TV but I don't think he is as good as Kos or BFG where he is. I do like the guy though and just thought he might be someone who could make that transition. I know we tried with Djourou and he didn't cut it. Maybe we'd do well cashing in on TV while teams are still interested in him.

Cripps_orig
25-08-2013, 07:34 PM
He's not as good as Mert. He's on a par with Kos

LDG
13-09-2013, 10:40 AM
He's back in the squad for the trip to Sunderland.

Captain Tom :scarf:

Penguin
13-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't think he has the discipline positionally to be a DM. Besides, we only have 3 established CBs including Tommy, so we need him whenever Mert/Kos pick up injuries or suspensions.

Power n Glory
13-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't think he has the discipline positionally to be a DM. Besides, we only have 3 established CBs including Tommy, so we need him whenever Mert/Kos pick up injuries or suspensions.

I think he’ll be able to cover well and he wouldn’t bomb too far forward to leave us exposed. I’m more worried about the technical aspect and his awareness. Playing in the middle is no joke and he’ll get pressed quick for the ball and have to think a lot quicker about passing options. Can he control the ball fast enough and dish it off safely whilst under pressure? That’s more of challenge. We’ve seen how a lack of awareness and technique can stifle attacking and possession play from other midfield players.

Özim
13-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Can you captain a side from the bench? :unsure:

Kano
13-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Can you captain a side from the bench? :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGKoXEIBE8

Niall_Quinn
13-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Who?

Özim
13-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Who?

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/images/retrosweets/mrtompeanutbar.jpg

We're back on them for the trip to Sunderland, good for energy apparently, pretty tasty too.

Kano
13-09-2013, 03:31 PM
has he got any nephews or nieces?

Niall_Quinn
13-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes.

fakeyank
13-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I read somewhere on FB that Per is not traveling for tomorrow's game. Is that true?

Kano
13-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes.

Sellout

Xhaka Can’t
13-09-2013, 06:03 PM
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/images/retrosweets/mrtompeanutbar.jpg

We're back on them for the trip to Sunderland, good for energy apparently, pretty tasty too.
You are seriously nuts.

Japan Shaking All Over
13-09-2013, 08:57 PM
he is not our official capt still, is he? for some reason I thought Merts had been given it ft