PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Vs. West Bromwich Albion

GP
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Great win. Never troubled at the back, decisive in attack.

Great to have Vermaelen back. Robin van Persie is a machine.

Jenkinson continues to impress.

Arsenal :bow:

Wenger :bow:

My face :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Arsenal. :bow:

Four in a row, didn't do that last season. :popcorn:

PGFC
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Can we play them every week?

milla
05-11-2011, 04:53 PM
meh.. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Woy Wogered.

Edinburgh Gooner
05-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Easy 3 points today. Jenkinson looked superb this afternoon, Santos still giving me butterflies with his going forward and forgetting his defensive side.

Ollie the Optimist
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
good perforance, good win. very happy with that. relegation doomed arsenal are now level with liverpool on points

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
good perforance, good win. very happy with that. relegation doomed arsenal are now level with liverpool on points

Luckily for us we dominated the whole 90 mins or the result could have been very different!

Edinburgh Gooner
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Luckily for us we dominated the whole 90 mins or the result could have been very different!
Fom what I saw, Brom never really troubled us. TV5 and Kozza look good together, chesney was never in any danger at all. Who's up next??

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Fom what I saw, Brom never really troubled us. TV5 and Kozza look good together, chesney was never in any danger at all. Who's up next??

If they could have got the ball they could have been very threatening!

Syn
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
That was impressive. I can't fault the performance at all. The players defended very well as a team and attacked with style and urgency.

Vermaelen makes a big difference. We look a more powerful (I think that's the best way to describe it) team when he's in it.

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
That was impressive. I can't fault the performance at all. The players defended very well as a team and attacked with style and urgency.

Vermaelen makes a big difference. We look a more powerful (I think that's the best way to describe it) team when he's in it.

And it's actually worth taking a corner when he's playing. Super important he stays fit now. Dreading these fucking stupid internationals.

Edinburgh Gooner
05-11-2011, 05:05 PM

LOL, they couldn't hold on to the ball, hence we were far too superior for them. Onwards and upwards we go, but this international break could have a massive say in the rest of the season. Pointless friendlies for quite a few of our players...

Syn
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
And it's actually worth taking a corner when he's playing. Super important he stays fit now. Dreading these fucking stupid internationals.

If When I find out Van Persie is injured, I'm going to kill myself.

I'm not even joking.

GP
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Andre_Santos27 André Santos!!!
Verry good win gays!!! #GoArsenal

:lol:

Japan Shaking All Over
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
What a load of boring dross. . . .should have been a WUM and given my ticket to my brother. . . .

oh sorry Ach already did that!

McNamara That Ghost...
05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
If When I find out Van Persie is injured, I'm going to kill myself.

I'm not even joking.

Bye.

Sirjackofwilshere
05-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Good win by the sounds of it. If we had the likes of Arteta, Mertasacker etc last season we'd have won the league. Their experience seems to be steadying the ship and bringing the best out of Ramsey, Song and the rest.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Andre_Santos27 André Santos!!!
Verry good win gays!!! #GoArsenal

:lol:

He definitely plays like he is enjoying it all. . .
wish I could say the same about some of his passing and defending!

Master Splinter
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Arsenal :bow:.

RVP :bow:.

Song :bow:.

Koscielny :bow:.

GHELkinson :bow:.

Arteta improving and looking confident now.

Vermaelen is a huge plus.

Koscielny is awesome, as is Song who has been outstanding for a while now. GHELkinson looks superb too.

The only downside was GP's face.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Good win

Letters
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Moaners :pal:

Whisper it quietly but we've only got one less point now than we had at this stage last year and November is full of winnable games

:scarf:

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Arsenal :bow:

My face :bow:

Two out of three ain't bad.

GP
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Two out of three ain't bad.

You're right.

Wenger :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM

I know our defence did well but they'd never have been able to handle that.

How long does it take to sort this shit out?

Cripps_orig
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Wenger :bow:Moaners :pal:Whisper it quietly but we've only got one less point now than we had at this stage last year and November is full of winnable games:scarf: Considering last season was a embarrassing and humiliating one, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.Also the games we had at the end of last season were winnable. Need I say more?I'm glad we've cemented a place in the top 7 and hopefully Liverpool continue to implode and I doubt Newcastle will go on as they are so top 5 is possible which I'd have taken considering we were worse than useless a couple of months ago.

gunnerrrrr
05-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Considering last season was a embarrassing and humiliating one, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.Also the games we had at the end of last season were winnable. Need I say more?I'm glad we've cemented a place in the top 7 and hopefully Liverpool continue to implode and I doubt Newcastle will go on as they are so top 5 is possible which I'd have taken considering we were worse than useless a couple of months ago.

you are missing the point geeza

up untill the carling cup final we were in the hunt for the league...so being a point away from lasy year is very good...GIVEN the start we had this season.

With Gervhinio and Walcott we look so dangerous on the break....Arteta imo is doing a superb job of quietly ticking over and getting better, Ramsey is really looking classy....we have option in defence, attack and with Wilshire and Diaby back also in midfield.

Our downfall has been greatly exaggerated...and i actually think we could be very serious challengers if Veermalean and RVP stay fit.

Hopefully we will also add in January....

Power n Glory
05-11-2011, 07:05 PM
We actually have game changers on the bench now as well. We just have to keep the players fit and keep chipping away. It's still a long road, but we're starting to look like a solid team.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Considering last season was a embarrassing and humiliating one, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.Also the games we had at the end of last season were winnable. Need I say more?I'm glad we've cemented a place in the top 7 and hopefully Liverpool continue to implode and I doubt Newcastle will go on as they are so top 5 is possible which I'd have taken considering we were worse than useless a couple of months ago.

Diffrent seaons tbh, we know we won't win the league thisi season, so the players are playing with less pressure now, you can see it as each games goes on' Last season was so pressurised because we were in the trophy hunt so badly we all thought we'd win at least 1.

im happy with the way we are moving forward tbh.

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2011, 07:16 PM

up untill the carling cup final we were in the hunt for the league...so being a point away from lasy year is very good...GIVEN the start we had this season.

With Gervhinio and Walcott we look so dangerous on the break....Arteta imo is doing a superb job of quietly ticking over and getting better, Ramsey is really looking classy....we have option in defence, attack and with Wilshire and Diaby back also in midfield.

Our downfall has been greatly exaggerated...and i actually think we could be very serious challengers if Veermalean and RVP stay fit.

Ruined it by mentioning Diaby.

Cripps_orig
05-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Dont think our downfall has actually. When you are awful from February through to October, thats 8 months of shiteness. Thats not just a blip. Theres something really wrong with the club and fortunately we have points in the bank now for when we go on another miserable run as soon as we get a bad result to end this decent run we are on.

Chances of Vermaelen and RVP staying fit are pretty slim and i dont rely on either to do so. Yes we need players in January but apart from a 16 year old French/African Pub Teamer, i cant see anyone coming in. This run we are on has fooled nobody

Ollie the Optimist
05-11-2011, 07:59 PM
What a load of boring dross. . . .should have been a WUM and given my ticket to my brother. . . .

:haha:

Cripps_orig
05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Its his ticket :shrug:

Cripps_orig
05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Ollie :haha:

GP
05-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Master Splinter
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Meh, might as well join in.

fakeyank
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Brilliant win!! No one can stop us!!

The board is doing a great job of picking up the team!

Stan :bow:

PHW :bow:

Marc Overmars
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Delighted with the performance and another good win. On top from start to finish, can't ask for much more.

Have to say RVP is just different class, anything that happens for us up front, you can bet he's involved in one way or another.

Feels great to have finally restored some normality. It will be a fight to get 4th this year but there's no doubt we have hauled ourselves into contention.

Letters
05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Brilliant win!! No one can stop us!!

:gp:

You :pal:

fari
06-11-2011, 02:39 AM
glad for the win!

Power n Glory
06-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Some real stand out performances today. We have a decent team and the balance looks right for a change.

Attacking fullbacks - Santos has his crazy moments but I hope that gets ironed out of his game. On attack he's very good. Provises more than Clichy ever could. He times his run correctly, whips in a good cross, he can dribble, he makes himself available on the left side so Gervinho isn't isolated...we need this.

Young Jenko was impressive as well. A real good purchase by Wenger. Every cross he puts in is dangerous. He's also comfortable on the ball and able to dribble. Way more agile than Sagna. A real impressive performance from him and he should be starting ahead of Sagna if he can be strong on defence.

After watching the World Cup and seeing how Spain and Brazil used their fullbacks, I said we needed better fullbacks if we were to improve on attack. Clichy and Sagna provided absolutely nothing on attack and could also be shaky on defence. It's good to see that we finally have fullbacks that are dangerous and provide some width to our play and won't leave our wide attackers isolated. Our crossing is dangerous for once and we should be able to stretch teams now.

Midfield Trio - Song and Arteta are forming a good partnership. Arteta is helping out on defence a lot and starting to get involved in the passing play. Wasn't impressed with his contribution before, but now he seems to be settling well. He's making himself available for pass more but also helping Song to win the ball back. Doing this means Ramsey can be the spearhead of attack and focus more on that area. They still switch from time to time but the roles are more definded. Also, Song's passing....Underrated.

This is the first game I've seen in ages where we've carved a team open with good team play. Good three to four passing moves where we had them chasing shadows and we need to see more of that. It's looking good. We're getting our rhythm back. Build play looks quicker now as well.

Letters
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
3 points off of 4th place and in the last 10 games we've W8 D1 L1.
Pretty impressive.

Better yet, we're looking like Arsenal again

West Brom are a side we should be sweeping aside with relative ease and we did. But early season we were struggling through those games, now we're not. The passing and workrate were good yesterday and we looked like a good side again as we did at Chelsea and against Stoke.

We only have 1 less point than after 11 games last year, a fantastic outcome after our disasterous start.

Kudos to Wenger for turning it around. It was a car crash of a summer and early season I wondered if he'd lost the dressing room. They just didn't seem to be playing as a team and looked very mediocre. Now they're playing with confidence again and Wenger should get some credit for that.

Not sure how this season will pan out now but things are looking a lot more promising than they did a month or so ago.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Good Post
Can go along with a lot of that.
I do tgink Santos still has the ability to have massive brain faets as the cross field lob pass to Song showed yesterday which still need to be worked on.
Jenko has had a real baptism since he joned and looks like a good buy, his crossong is excellent, can be found out at times defensively but I'm cutting the guy some slack.
Arteta arrived with a whole weight of expectation waiting at the door and of course because he didnt fill those shoes was slamed for it. The guy was always going to need some tome and I thonk yesterday showed he is gheling with the others, his passing was good, found his man and capped it with a goal.
Gervinho for me is a good buy and keeps his marker guessing (at times they are not the only one guessing) and it is good to see a player with his kind of directness and correct me if I'm wrong Theo was yrying a bit of that yesterday too.

Now WBA were very bad yesterday and we cant expect every game to be as easy but yesterday we played some great football better than I have seen fir a long while, better than some of the stuff during Cesc/Nasbo era, the team has a nice balance something it was missing at times before but we still have to face stronger teams so best to keep the champagne on ice.

But I have feeling we are moving forward, would still like to see purchases made in Jan, safeguards against injury, competition for places and overall improvement in talent. . .would still like Wenger to mix his formations but I am a happy Gooner and proud to say so

Letters
06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
My only concern right now is we're still way too over-reliant on RvP, and with his injury record that's a big worry.

Xhaka Can’t
06-11-2011, 12:42 PM
That is a concern, but just look at the guy's quality - just about any team that had him in it would become over-reliant on him.

Özim
06-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Another good result for us and we're coming back well from that poor run early season.

The win against Chelsea has no doubt helped the confidence, no point getting too carried away though this is a game we'd expect to win at home.

Be interesting to see how we get on next time we meet one of the big sides, RVP still in magnificent form and showing his quality, as others have said will be hoping he doesn't pick up a knock.

Though yesterday didn't show it, the defence is still a problem area we hopefully won't ignore.

Ollie the Optimist
06-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Another good result for us and we're coming back well from that poor run early season.

The win against Chelsea has no doubt helped the confidence, no point getting too carried away though this is a game we'd expect to win at home.

Be interesting to see how we get on next time we meet one of the big sides.

true we should be beating them but we did it in a very professional way, never gave them time and won the game and best of all did it without having to try to much meaning the players shouldnt be too tired after it. all in all a very good performance and one to keep building on.
be interesting to see what happens when we next play a big team, suppose it will be man city but will have to see what team wenger puts out for it

Özim
06-11-2011, 04:21 PM
true we should be beating them but we did it in a very professional way, never gave them time and won the game and best of all did it without having to try to much meaning the players shouldnt be too tired after it. all in all a very good performance and one to keep building on.
be interesting to see what happens when we next play a big team, suppose it will be man city but will have to see what team wenger puts out for it
Yes, Man City will be a big challenge with the attacking options be interesting to see how our defence copes with them.

Anyway we're doing the job at the moment and playing catchup well enough, not getting any closer to Man City but then we're not going to win the title so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Ollie the Optimist
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, Man City will be a big challenge with the attacking options be interesting to see how our defence copes with them.

Anyway we're doing the job at the moment and playing catchup well enough, not getting any closer to Man City but then we're not going to win the title so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

we have made up ten points before in a season, think it was two years ago where we did it twice so you never know :lol: depending on the defence wenger plays against city, i wont be too concerned if he plays the reserves but if he plays a strong team it will be a real test. glad it is at home as fancy our chances more.
the defence yesterday looked good, kept them at bay and snuffed out attacks before they really got going so was very professional but tv5 did give away a few needless freekicks but will put that down to rustiness

Power n Glory
06-11-2011, 04:26 PM
It was a convincing win for once.

Xhaka Can’t
06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
A win is a win.

Don't care if we win convincingly or if we get it from a fluky richochet off Kolo's fat ass.

Syn
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
The style of the football was the thing that surprised me. We could've won 6-0 and it wouldn't make me think we were doing anything better. But the pace and accuracy of the passing was on another level from what we've been used to seeing in recent years. Even some players we might consider technically weak were showing instant control when the ball was being fired at them. In some plays (forgive the americanism), we was (forgive the cockneyism) pinging it about every split-second but, most importantly, with the view to moving forward. We had players bursting forwards. Everything was done with good speed. After seasons of Cesc's Arsenal, going from side to side, taking 50 touches, waiting for somebody to make a run, I didn't think we had this sort of thing in us. It was only West Brom but it's incredible hard for any team to stop that sort of quick movement and precision when played properly. 'It was only West Brom' is also the sort of thing that has prevented us from getting consistent results; it was a very professional performance.

Power n Glory
06-11-2011, 07:20 PM
A win is a win.

Don't care if we win convincingly or if we get it from a fluky richochet off Kolo's fat ass.

A win is a win, but it's important that we get our form back and start putting teams away so we go into the next match confident.

Master Splinter
06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
The style of the football was the thing that surprised me. We could've won 6-0 and it wouldn't make me think we were doing anything better. But the pace and accuracy of the passing was on another level from what we've been used to seeing in recent years. Even some players we might consider technically weak were showing instant control when the ball was being fired at them. In some plays (forgive the americanism), we was (forgive the cockneyism) pinging it about every split-second but, most importantly, with the view to moving forward. We had players bursting forwards. Everything was done with good speed. After seasons of Cesc's Arsenal, going from side to side, taking 50 touches, waiting for somebody to make a run, I didn't think we had this sort of thing in us. It was only West Brom but it's incredible hard for any team to stop that sort of quick movement and precision when played properly. 'It was only West Brom' is also the sort of thing that has prevented us from getting consistent results; it was a very professional performance.

I will not forgive this.

Xhaka Can’t
06-11-2011, 07:47 PM
A win is a win, but it's important that we get our form back and start putting teams away so we go into the next match confident.

I agree with that, but I am enjoying the current streak we are on, and so it seems are the players because by and large, the performances accompanying the wins are steadily improving.

Power n Glory
06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree with that, but I am enjoying the current streak we are on, and so it seems are the players because by and large, the performances accompanying the wins are steadily improving.

Well, Wenger knows his stuff. He said we needed a few wins to get on to a streak and gain some confidence. We were grinding out results before but now I hope we start getting into our rhythm. The team also need to learn how to recover quickly from a set back. This streak won't last forever, but when we cross that bridge, they need to dig deep and grid out results again. We can't have a situation where we lose confidence after a bad result.

Xhaka Can’t
06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, Wenger knows his stuff. He said we needed a few wins to get on to a streak and gain some confidence. We were grinding out results before but now I hope we start getting into our rhythm. The team also need to learn how to recover quickly from a set back. This streak won't last forever, but when we cross that bridge, they need to dig deep and grid out results again. We can't have a situation where we lose confidence after a bad result.

This is key, and it has been an Achilles heal of just about any team Wenger has coached for Arsenal. I hope it is a long time before we have an opportunity to see how resilient the team are when facing adversity, but the signs are better than in the past because it has taken some character and determination to get to the point we are now.

IBK
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM

We are still a few wins away from convincing the world we have completed our metamorphosis. But I agree with most of what you say.

Marc Overmars
06-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't think I'm ever going to stop believing this team has a shocker or 2 saved up for a later date, it's happened too many times now for me to rest easily.

However we've won what, 10 out of the last 12 games? Scoring plenty of goals again, well a certain Dutchman is at least, and we look a little more settled at the back, although there's obviously a lot of work to be done there.

The previous 20 or so games prior to this revival had me utterly disillusioned with the club, I found it a chore to go and watch the team because they were in such a bad shape. I'm glad that feeling has subsided now and the team is giving me something to believe in. We're not going to win the title and I'm not taking 4th for granted anymore, but we're playing at a par to recent years now, so normality has been restored at least. Maybe with a bit of luck we can spring a surprise or 2 but for now lets just enjoy it while it lasts eh? Because we've had fuck all to smile about for most of this calendar year.

fakeyank
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't think I'm ever going to stop believing this team has a shocker or 2 saved up for a later date, it's happened too many times now for me to rest easily.

However we've won what, 10 out of the last 12 games? Scoring plenty of goals again, well a certain Dutchman is at least, and we look a little more settled at the back, although there's obviously a lot of work to be done there.

The previous 20 or so games prior to this revival had me utterly disillusioned with the club, I found it a chore to go and watch the team because they were in such a bad shape. I'm glad that feeling has subsided now and the team is giving me something to believe in. We're not going to win the title and I'm not taking 4th for granted anymore, but we're playing at a par to recent years now, so normality has been restored at least. Maybe with a bit of luck we can spring a surprise or 2 but for now lets just enjoy it while it lasts eh? Because we've had fuck all to smile about for most of this calendar year.

:gp:

Amen brother... amen!

Japan Shaking All Over
07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
This is key, and it has been an Achilles heal of just about any team Wenger has coached for Arsenal. I hope it is a long time before we have an opportunity to see how resilient the team are when facing adversity, but the signs are better than in the past because it has taken some character and determination to get to the point we are now.

Mental strength has been a major issue for us, whether it's when we go behind or take a lead and thats just during a game. . . .we are known to crack while being in arguably strong positions in the league.

However if there is proof that we are just a smidgen better in that department, it is the way we have responeded to the Utd defeat and the game against Blackburn. Tottenham hurt but we werent the worst team that day and I believe that players like Kos and Song even Ramsey and Arteta have raised the ante and if we are going to go down (like some were saying we were showing the kind if firm to do so) then teams are going to have to put us down and we aint going to play ourselves inti that position.

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2011, 01:37 AM
When you count the number of players we have replaced this might not be an issue any more. Going through the list, Ches never had a problem anyway and is now establised as #1, Jenkinson looks a tough bastard, Merts has a ton of experience, Verm never had a problem with confidence, Santos hasn't been tainted by any of the old habits, Arteta, bags of experience, Gervinho, again untainted and now no Clichy, no Bendtner, no Nasri, all chokers. RvP is on great form, players like Chamakh aren't even getting a sniff. Jack to come back, he kept going as the rest were collapsing last season. This is a different team. You have to think it can only get stronger as it gels. There seems to be more practicality and a little less cockiness about this group. It's hard to say for sure but the team just feels a big stronger mentally. On Saturday they owned WBA without rubbing it in. Less of the stupid 30 pointless passes routine and more much more direct, less of the back-flicks, more hustle. We'll see but I have more confidence in this team, for some reason. I don't think they'll win anything but I believe we'll get stronger as the season progresses, rather than climbing a mountain and then plunging of a precipice.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-11-2011, 02:57 AM
a little less cockiness about this group

I agree with that......meant to say that I think the team has for once not got a prima donna in its ranks.

There is no player that demands that the ball go through them and everyone plays for each other. This was not the case with Cesc and although he could be brilliant at times there were other times when the play became stifled, Cesc grew up under TH14's shadow and in a way things rubbed off on him cos....Towards the end of TH14's reign there were times when players thought they had to get it to him.

Although the difference between TH and Cesc was that Th started off as a project discovered by Wenger and molded into a match winner, in some ways he earned the arrogance he developed through hard work and match winning performances. Cesc and Nas (match winners in their own right and absolutely brilliant at times) were babies who demanded from the off preferential treatment

RvP is the nearest we have got to a superstar but he does not come across as the 'hissy fit' throwing type and through his goals as gotten over the bump I thought was in his way when given the captaincy. He is leading as are a fair few others, another thing missing from past teams a group of leaders.

Tough games to come and some possible slips ahead........but the team is growing and there is a lot to cheer and look forward to......it may be said we needed the summer/start of the season to clear the cobwebs

Power n Glory
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with that......meant to say that I think the team has for once not got a prima donna in its ranks.

There is no player that demands that the ball go through them and everyone plays for each other. This was not the case with Cesc and although he could be brilliant at times there were other times when the play became stifled, Cesc grew up under TH14's shadow and in a way things rubbed off on him cos....Towards the end of TH14's reign there were times when players thought they had to get it to him.

Although the difference between TH and Cesc was that Th started off as a project discovered by Wenger and molded into a match winner, in some ways he earned the arrogance he developed through hard work and match winning performances. Cesc and Nas (match winners in their own right and absolutely brilliant at times) were babies who demanded from the off preferential treatment

RvP is the nearest we have got to a superstar but he does not come across as the 'hissy fit' throwing type and through his goals as gotten over the bump I thought was in his way when given the captaincy. He is leading as are a fair few others, another thing missing from past teams a group of leaders.

Tough games to come and some possible slips ahead........but the team is growing and there is a lot to cheer and look forward to......it may be said we needed the summer/start of the season to clear the cobwebs

I wouldn’t blame Cesc for tippy tappy nonsense we used to try each game. That was a result of an imbalanced team with too many similar players on the same field or players that were so limited and cowardly, they looked to play the simple pass and possession game. Nasri and Arshavin for example, don’t take on their players and dribble down the flanks like Gervinho does. They’re more comfortable coming to the centre and they usually depend on a one two to beat their man or they’re drifting towards the centre looking for the ball. Gervinho and Walcott are more direct. They take their wingbacks out wide and look to beat them when one on one. Then with our more attack minded full backs that can actually cross overlapping, it creates a problem for team.

We had too many players in the squad that were jack of all trades and master of none. Too many play makers looking for ball to feet situations and trying to play intricate passes with one another and it just created a mess. We were passing ourselves in circles with only one or two players actually looking to take on their man or make runs into space. Clichy’s overlapping runs were terrible. He’d never time them right and would always screw up his cross if he got it right and the same goes for Sagna.

Add players like Denilson, Chamakh, Bendy and Diaby in the mix….it just created an uninspiring team with the wrong balance. Now, we have players that have more defined roles and seem to play to their strengths. Ramsey is better at roaming and looking to play the killer pass or getting open to have a shot. That intricate build up play just doesn’t suit him. He has a more direct approach compared to Cesc , Wilshere, Denilson and Rosicky. But with players like Arteta and Song sitting behind him and spreading the ball, it makes it easier for him to get around the pitch. With Gervinho hogging the ball, it gives our players more time to move and find space. We have to maintain that balance. It’s early days yet, but the signs are good.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn’t blame Cesc for tippy tappy nonsense we used to try each game. That was a result of an imbalanced team with too many similar players on the same field or players that were so limited and cowardly, they looked to play the simple pass and possession game. Nasri and Arshavin for example, don’t take on their players and dribble down the flanks like Gervinho does. They’re more comfortable coming to the centre and they usually depend on a one two to beat their man or they’re drifting towards the centre looking for the ball. Gervinho and Walcott are more direct. They take their wingbacks out wide and look to beat them when one on one. Then with our more attack minded full backs that can actually cross overlapping, it creates a problem for team.

We had too many players in the squad that were jack of all trades and master of none. Too many play makers looking for ball to feet situations and trying to play intricate passes with one another and it just created a mess. We were passing ourselves in circles with only one or two players actually looking to take on their man or make runs into space. Clichy’s overlapping runs were terrible. He’d never time them right and would always screw up his cross if he got it right and the same goes for Sagna.

Add players like Denilson, Chamakh, Bendy and Diaby in the mix….it just created an uninspiring team with the wrong balance. Now, we have players that have more defined roles and seem to play to their strengths. Ramsey is better at roaming and looking to play the killer pass or getting open to have a shot. That intricate build up play just doesn’t suit him. He has a more direct approach compared to Cesc , Wilshere, Denilson and Rosicky. But with players like Arteta and Song sitting behind him and spreading the ball, it makes it easier for him to get around the pitch. With Gervinho hogging the ball, it gives our players more time to move and find space. We have to maintain that balance. It’s early days yet, but the signs are good.

Not meant to sound as if it was Cesc's fault just that it seemed that it all had to channel through him which more often than not halted the flow rather than enhance it.

Stats show that were taking a massive risk lettong both Cesc and Nas go but we seem to be finding a way around that. . .we are definitely riding RvP's goals but others are chipping in snd getting on the end of things, Theo's goal against the Chavs, Artetas gainst WBA.

Still think we need to look for another goal scoring threat. . .whole gang of options and I would say we are a more attractive destination now than a few months ago!

LDG
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Not meant to sound as if it was Cesc's fault just that it seemed that it all had to channel through him which more often than not halted the flow rather than enhance it.

Stats show that were taking a massive risk lettong both Cesc and Nas go but we seem to be finding a way around that. . .we are definitely riding RvP's goals but others are chipping in snd getting on the end of things, Theo's goal against the Chavs, Artetas gainst WBA.

Still think we need to look for another goal scoring threat. . .whole gang of options and I would say we are a more attractive destination now than a few months ago!

Hate to say I told you so....but I was pretty convinced that getting rid of Cesc was a good thing long term.

Whilst he is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders in the world, we relied to heavily on him. Everything went through him, meaning we suffered when he was injured, and were too slow in getting the ball forward on some occasions.

We're already a lot more direct, and I hope that we'll become even more efficient in that respect. We've buggered around playing tippy tappy for too long, and at long last we seem to be hitting teams more on the break, and with more incisive moves, rather than continually trying to pass the ball into the next.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
We will be further enhamced with the return of Sir Jack. . .if we can keep rhings the way we are, I bet we beat all the teams we have lost so far this season, including Utd

Power n Glory
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Hate to say I told you so....but I was pretty convinced that getting rid of Cesc was a good thing long term.

Whilst he is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders in the world, we relied to heavily on him. Everything went through him, meaning we suffered when he was injured, and were too slow in getting the ball forward on some occasions.

We're already a lot more direct, and I hope that we'll become even more efficient in that respect. We've buggered around playing tippy tappy for too long, and at long last we seem to be hitting teams more on the break, and with more incisive moves, rather than continually trying to pass the ball into the next.

Cesc in the current squad would be decent. It's the change of full backs and wingers that have really changed things around. We've got more movement ahead of us. When he was in the squad with Henry and co, he was fine. We had players with pace, but then we lost that and brought in too many slow players and too many central mids that don't attack directly.

Coney
07-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Cesc in the current squad would be decent. It's the change of full backs and wingers that have really changed things around. We've got more movement ahead of us. When he was in the squad with Henry and co, he was fine. We had players with pace, but then we lost that and brought in too many slow players and too many central mids that don't attack directly.

Cesc might have been like Ian Botham was for England. As a player concentrating on his game, brilliant. Make him captain and he loses something. If we had just bought him now as a player, he would have been great.

Anyway, Cesc is now irrelevant so we move on.

The current squad, as mentioned above, is looking much better and more prepared to try. As NQ said, players moving forward rather than passing it back - I guess this is a sign of increasing confidence, a sort of 'hey, I can take the bastard' approach rather than 'better pass it back so it isn't me that loses the ball'.

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2011, 01:01 PM
If we had just bought him now as a player, he would have been great.

It would take £50-60mill to buy him.

DAMN!

Coney
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
It would take £50-60mill to buy him.

DAMN!

Yes, but he's worth 80. Maybe if I throw in this gourd?

Syn
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Francesc is brilliant very good player. In contrast to the diving, poncy Cesc you might've seen playing for Barca yesterday, he showed in 09/10 that he was a fighter and didn't shy away from a battle. He has goals in him and a shitload of assists and is almost the complete midfielder. But we did a lot to make sure that we built the team around him. That meant playing to his strengths and avoiding the one weakness he did have...which is he doesn't have an engine - the ability to sprint back and forwards for 90 mins. The thing about a possession style and not recklessly committing men forward is that you make the opposition work, but you don't break a sweat. The thing about playing a counter-attacking style is that if you're not an athlete, you're going to struggle to chase opponents back after Walcott runs into the defender. You saw Ramsey sprinting forward in the 92nd minute vs. Chelsea for Robin's 5th goal...that is Wilshere or Ramsey, but it's not Fabregas. Fabregas is obviously a much better player but his strengths didn't translate into the type of style the rest of the team needed us to play.

On the other hand, I think Nasri fucking off is a massive loss. Playing him in the centre could've turned him into some sort of Messi-lite. He's that talented imo.

Also agree with PnG that fullbacks that aren't totally shit at attacking has also made a massive difference.

Goes without saying that this style of football, work ethic etc. has to continue over a much larger period than 8 or so games for it to count as evidence that we have changed.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM

You can see we aree playing without pressure tbh, we know where we stand and we know what we have to do. 4th is the target. For once Spurs can have all the pressure tbh, im happy with the way we are. like you say lets not get too carried away because with this team anything can happen lol.

id like to see us be a bit more ambitious in the cups we can win tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM

Nah he'd the same imo. i think Nasri in the Cesc role would have been excellent and the movement would have been faster and better. Hopefully we get Hazard or Gotze.

Syn
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Nah he'd the same imo. i think Nasri in the Cesc role would have been excellent and the movement would have been faster and better. Hopefully we get Hazard or Gotze.

Don't get the fuss about Hazard but saw Goatse.cx for the first time when we played Dortmund in the CL this season....there were a few Dortmund players that were brilliant; he was one of them. They seem a very good side.

Cripps_orig
07-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Hopefully we get Hazard or Gotze.

Get both

Power n Glory
07-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Cesc playing where Arteta is playing would be perfect. That's the old Cesc role. Always felt we played him too far ahead up field in his last few seasons. When he was young playing deeper in the 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 he was miles better. The days when Hleb would play ahead of him in the hole. That's what Wenger should have done while Cesc and Nasri were still here. It never happend.

Master Splinter
07-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Fabregas is playing almost as a second striker for Barcelona and Spain too.

He doesn't have the defensive nous or the engine to play deeper, hence all his managers utilising his lock-picking, finishing and general all-round incisive attacking game to it's fullest.

Power n Glory
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
He plays there because they have Xavi and Iniesta.

In his season playing alongside Flamini, he was up and down the pitch putting in tackles. As he's grown, he's gotten faster and his off the ball movement and runs have improved. It's why he's playing up front for Barca. But if Wenger had played him in a deeper role, he'd still be very effective and would have improved his defensive game. He started to develop a real nasty slide tackle but we we saw less of that as he was pushed further forward.

He's a CM and his best days for us were years before when he was sitting deeper. That's when we played some of our best football.

milla
07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
He plays there because they have Xavi and Iniesta.

In his season playing alongside Flamini, he was up and down the pitch putting in tackles. As he's grown, he's gotten faster and his off the ball movement and runs have improved. It's why he's playing up front for Barca. But if Wenger had played him in a deeper role, he'd still be very effective and would have improved his defensive game. He started to develop a real nasty slide tackle but we we saw less of that as he was pushed further forward.

He's a CM and his best days for us were years before when he was sitting deeper. That's when we played some of our best football.

Fabregas is a second striker at Barcelona, at least that's how they see him. In his early days playing for Barca youth, Fabregas (together with Messi) was scoring goals for fun. :coffee:

Master Splinter
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Four top managers have used him in that position.

They must know what they're doing.

He did play well in the Alonso-type role, but I doubt he could keep it up. Even when he played with Henry, he was often our second striker. The Hleb-Flamini-Fabregas-Rosicky axis worked because three of them would constantly swap positions.

Syn
07-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Don't get me started on the 07/08 side...Fabregas was so clearly the worst performer in that midfield. He'd fuck up so many times after the others had created an opening. Hleb, Rosicky and Flamini were outstanding. Cesc's best year with us was 2009-2010 when he manned up and started fouling people, whining at the ref and lashing the ball in the net.

Marc Overmars
07-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Cesc did score 17-18 goals in 07/08 tbf. Got as many assists as well probably.

That midfield was awesome though yes.

Until February at least.

IBK
07-11-2011, 10:51 PM
We are looking a hell of a lot more balanced and unpredictable in our post Cesc incarnation. :good:

Syn
07-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Cesc did score 17-18 goals in 07/08 tbf. Got as many assists as well probably.

That midfield was awesome though yes.

Until February at least.

I think you might be counting the non-events against teams like Buldavia Kebab in CL qualifying and so on. I always think league goals give a non-inflated tally and if ESPN's right, he had 7...which is ok, I suppose. Nice 7 little tap-ins. Obviously he had a shedload of assists as he always has done. But everyone knows most of them were scuffed.

Reminds me of the old discussions on GW at its peak. :cloud9: I found Fabregas to be fucking annoying in that season. In all honesty, of course he did well but Hleb, Rosicky were nothing like what you'd find Gerv and Theo to be defensively - they were covering superbly, and Flamini was working for two on the defensive side. I agree with what MS said - leave Cesc to do the attacking (which he does superbly) but he can't put in a solid shift required for a proper CM...it's not through a lack of trying, more that he just can't cover enough ground.

Power n Glory
07-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Four top managers have used him in that position.

They must know what they're doing.

He did play well in the Alonso-type role, but I doubt he could keep it up. Even when he played with Henry, he was often our second striker. The Hleb-Flamini-Fabregas-Rosicky axis worked because three of them would constantly swap positions.

Cesc didn't start banging in goals until Henry left and he was never the second striker during that period. He was hardly making runs into the box in those years. Nowhere near as much as what we've seen him do at Barca and the last few seasons with us.

Master Splinter
07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Cesc didn't start banging in goals until Henry left and he was never the second striker during that period. He was hardly making runs into the box in those years. Nowhere near as much as what we've seen him do at Barca and the last few seasons with us.

His finishing was awful, yes, but he was often in advanced positions and making those killer passes to the strikers.

Much like you saw with Wilshere last year, he did everything well up to the box at which point he had a nose bleed and fluffed simple chances. He got more clinical as he matured.

Power n Glory
08-11-2011, 12:30 AM
His finishing was awful, yes, but he was often in advanced positions and making those killer passes to the strikers.Much like you saw with Wilshere last year, he did everything well up to the box at which point he had a nose bleed and fluffed simple chances. He got more clinical as he matured. So is Frank Lampard a second striker because he finds himself in and around the box? Rooney, RVP, Bergkamp...these guys are second strikers. They play alongside the striker but drop deep to create. Cesc doesn't drop deep, he advanced up the field and makes late runs into the box. Cesc's best asset will always be his passing and vision. He models his game on Pep. He's a traditional Spanish CM.

Coney
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
His finishing was awful, yes, but he was often in advanced positions and making those killer passes to the strikers.

Much like you saw with Wilshere last year, he did everything well up to the box at which point he had a nose bleed and fluffed simple chances. He got more clinical as he matured.

I was always impressed by how he could read a position and put the ball exactly where it needed to be for the striker. Unfortunately, the striker was often Bendtner who would then usually fuck it up.

fakeyank
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I was always impressed by how he could read a position and put the ball exactly where it needed to be for the striker. Unfortunately, the striker was often Bendtner who would then usually fuck it up.

How many games did Bendtner start in the middle? Even as a sub, how many games was he the striker and not the winger? Not many I suppose..

AW for wanting to make Dennis Bendtner a Ronaldo :rose:

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
How many games did Bendtner start in the middle? Even as a sub, how many games was he the striker and not the winger? Not many I suppose..

AW for wanting to make Dennis Bendtner a Ronaldo :rose:

Bendtner for missing that golden opportunity against Barca. The very moment he has always claimed he was born for. If we'd have had a decent striker and not Nick Bendtner on that day, at that moment, who knows. Things would have been different though.

fakeyank
08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Bendtner for missing that golden opportunity against Barca. The very moment he has always claimed he was born for. If we'd have had a decent striker and not Nick Bendtner on that day, at that moment, who knows. Things would have been different though.

I mean TH14 missed a sitter in the final of CL06. That wouldve given us a CL trophy!! We all still love him.. heck, he is my all time fave player! Yes, Bendy has a big gob and I always felt he had the ability to match most of his talk. He just wasnt played in the right position!

Fist of Lehmann
08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I mean TH14 missed a sitter in the final of CL06. That wouldve given us a CL trophy!! We all still love him.. heck, he is my all time fave player! Yes, Bendy has a big gob and I always felt he had the ability to match most of his talk. He just wasnt played in the right position!That's because Henry shits on Bendtner from orbit. Literally.

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I mean TH14 missed a sitter in the final of CL06. That wouldve given us a CL trophy!! We all still love him.. heck, he is my all time fave player! Yes, Bendy has a big gob and I always felt he had the ability to match most of his talk. He just wasnt played in the right position!

That was ONE from hundreds which he didn't miss. He's allowed a few. TH walked the walk, Nick talked. Not saying he's a bad bloke, but he's no top 4 striker.

Dog Toffee
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
That's because Henry shits on Bendtner from orbit. Literally.

I think you need to revise your definition of 'literally'.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM

The pressure of winning the Cl was much more then, NB had that night tbh. End of the day it don't matter where you play him he's not good enough for a top 4 team

Fist of Lehmann
11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I think you need to revise your definition of 'literally'.I think you need to revise your face.