PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Borussia Dortmund

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Great win after being outplayed for the first 50 odd mins.

Coney
23-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Qualified. Nothing else matters. Play the kids in the last group game to give them a runout.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Very happy with that. Can enjoy Matchday 6 whatever happens. :d

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Qualified. Nothing else matters. Play the kids in the last group game to give them a runout.

yep don't mind if we loose rather the greeks get through the other 2 anyway

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Send 18 GWers to Greece.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Me in midfield.

Syn
23-11-2011, 09:46 PM
A very solid, mature and professional performance (apart from Djourou and Song right at the end trying to play on-twos at our corner flag Vermaelen and Szczesny were going mental at them. :lol: )

A fantastic team effort. Song bossed the game. A very good supporting role played by Ramsey. Santos was very good (in defence as well today). Szczesny with an important stop in the second half. I think pretty much everyone played their part. Gerv hasn’t had the best week but with the effort he puts in, he’ll start getting some good luck.

The quality of the game was high - it was a match between two very good teams. They just couldn’t get past Mertesacker - haven’t been his greatest fan (though I think he has done ok this season), today he played very well.

Master Splinter
23-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Arsenal :bow:.

Good, professional performance. Apart from the last minute :doh:.

Koscielny, Vermaelen, Santos, Mertesacker, Song all awesome :bow:.

Arteta also very solid defensively.

RVP :bow: :bow: :bow:.

Song is a genius :bow: :bow: :bow:.

Joker
23-11-2011, 09:48 PM
A workmanlike performance but we got the result in the end. It's extremely important we've finished top as well, meaning we'll avoid having to face someone like Barca in the next round. Would still like our midfield to step it up in terms of creativity though. Song's having to do a lot of work, not only covering defensively but providing offensively as well. Arteta needs to do more.

Syn
23-11-2011, 09:50 PM
It's extremely important we've finished top as well, meaning we'll avoid having to face someone like Barca in the next round.

Didn't know we've guaranteed top place. That's very handy. We might as well send a shit side out in Greece. No need for Van Persie, Song, Vermaelen to even travel.

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Song bossed it. Great performance.

Special mention to Santos. That guy was class. Offers more than Clichy on attack and was better on defence today.

RVP class as usual. Theo was good too.

Ruud is right. That first goal flipped the game.

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 09:51 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/19/129161956729992540.gif

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 09:52 PM
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5530/2j4tzi8.gif

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 09:53 PM
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5530/2j4tzi8.gif

:lol:

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 09:53 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc738lDRh31qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

LDG
23-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Another cracking win, against a pretty decent team, winning the toughest group of all the English clubs. Chelsea :haha:

We look like a team now. Balanced, getting goals the way proper teams get goals. Get it wide, het it in the box and clinical finishing.

RVP is superb. Not at his technical best, but he knows where to be when it matters. He also worked his arse off.

They had to run around all night. We would mever have survived the firt hal without conceding prior to the transfer window strengthening. Credit to arsene and the boys for going back to basics, and still keeping that bit of finese needed to make the difference.

Brilliant win. Well chuffed!

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 09:56 PM
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv321/FlameFan21/Misc/misc00007.jpg

The play by Song to set up the first, the Steve Bould style flick on by TV from the corner and the work rate! I'm falling back in love with this team.

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Glen Hoddle talking sense. We need to go for a more counter attacking style I we can't play our usual possession game and look to get Walcott playing off the shoulder of defenders and closer to the centre.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Another cracking win, against a pretty decent team, winning the toughest group of all the English clubs. Chelsea :haha:

We look like a team now. Balanced, getting goals the way proper teams get goals. Get it wide, het it in the box and clinical finishing.

RVP is superb. Not at his technical best, but he knows where to be when it matters. He also worked his arse off.

They had to run around all night. We would mever have survived the firt hal without conceding prior to the transfer window strengthening. Credit to arsene and the boys for going back to basics, and still keeping that bit of finese needed to make the difference.

Brilliant win. Well chuffed!

Yep if you said to me in september this would happen, we'd have all laughed. like you say we look like a team now, defending well attacking well, even finishing well, except for some.

lets hope in continues tbh.

Bring in Fulham and City tbh

Niall_Quinn
23-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Get it wide, het it in the box

:pal: You say het when you meant get.

WengerISaLizard
23-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Robin Van Persie brought for a measly 2.75 Million

JESUS CHRIST

Alex Song the man with the assist for 1 million

HOLY GUNNERSAURUS !!!!!

:patrice:

LDG
23-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Glen Hoddle talking sense. We need to go for a more counter attacking style I we can't play our usual possession game and look to get Walcott playing off the shoulder of defenders and closer to the centre.

Yep. Glen has managed to describe exactly what we've been doing for two months. Well done Glen. Twat.

Niall_Quinn
23-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Yep if you said to me in september this would happen, we'd have all laughed.

With one notable, distinguished and surprisingly handsome exception. Namely myself, I pretty much predicted this down to the goal count.

:bow: NQ

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Yep. Glen has managed to describe exactly what we've been doing for two months. Well done Glen. Twat.

LDG
23-11-2011, 10:05 PM
:pal: You say het when you meant get.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

fakeyank
23-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Song is brilliant :bow:

RVP :bow:

The more he score, the more the thought of losing him scares the shit outta me!

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 10:09 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/290wgty.gif

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 10:09 PM

You must have missed the first half of the game. Her break faster now, but our approach is still to dominate possession.

LDG
23-11-2011, 10:11 PM
You must have missed the first half of the game. Her break faster now, but our approach is still to dominate possession.

Sadly Glen missed the last two months.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 10:12 PM
With one notable, distinguished and surprisingly handsome exception. Namely myself, I pretty much predicted this down to the goal count.

:bow: NQ

with the way we are playing don't reallt fear any team in the comp tbh now.

WengerISaLizard
23-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Roger Federar getting in on the after game atmosphere, the bastard!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv4w38W6R11qblaz6o1_500.jpg

Maestro
23-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Megamind has a really strange alienesque head, I wonder what goes on in there sometimes.

...apart from that, great win. efficiency, urgency, desire and application. Fantastic if unspectacular win. Fuck Cesc, Nasri, Denilson, Bendtner, Vela, Arshavin, Chamakh oh..!

Anyway good win boys, well done.

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 10:14 PM
We were alwfully poor in the first half and Dortmund were dominant. However unlike previous times, this team seems to have grown some balls. They stayed in the game, quality from Song turned the game and after that we were comfortable.

The dumbass moment we expect from Arsenal happened too late for it to effect us fortunately.

Really happy with this win.

Syn
23-11-2011, 10:14 PM

What a pervert.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 10:16 PM

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv4w38W6R11qblaz6o1_500.jpg

:bow: roger

Globalgunner
23-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Gervinho wudda missed that 2nd Van Persie goal, no doubt

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Sadly Glen missed the last two months.

But he's talking about what we need to do against teams that will press hard and make it difficult for us to keep the ball. He's talking specifically about the Champs league where the opposition are smarter and tougher.

We tried to play the ball through the middle with our slow passing down from the back in the first 45 but we were messing up. Dortmund had 6 shots on goal and we only had one in the first half. We were making a lot of mistakes when in possession of the ball and it could have been costly.

It's not the same as being set up to sit back and make sure the other team don't have a sniff on goal then breaking on them. Our goals didn't even come from counter attacks tonight.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Gervinho wudda missed that 2nd Van Persie goal, no doubt

Don't worry AW did not see it either

Ollie the Optimist
23-11-2011, 10:35 PM
how fucking good was our defence tonight? kos, merts, the verminator and santos were fucking outstanding. dealt with everything thrown at them. bar the fuck up at the end but kos had gone and jd is shit. song was on fire and well rvp is just him isnt he. if dennis is god, theirry jesus, what hte fuck is robin?

oh and are you watching manchester

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 10:36 PM
how fucking good was our defence tonight? kos, merts, the verminator and santos were fucking outstanding. dealt with everything thrown at them. bar the fuck up at the end but kos had gone and jd is shit. song was on fire and well rvp is just him isnt he. if dennis is god, theirry jesus, what hte fuck is robin?

oh and are you watching manchester

I only saw the last minute.

GP
23-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Sven Bender's jaw is broken in 2 places.

Vermaelen really fucked up that Bender.

Ollie the Optimist
23-11-2011, 10:38 PM

basically you dont ever fuck with verminator

Master Splinter
23-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Vermaelen thought it was Bendtner.

Ollie the Optimist
23-11-2011, 10:46 PM
also was really good to see diaby back.

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Best game hes had imo.

He didnt actually do anything but thats better than what he usually does

Diaby :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 10:57 PM
how fucking good was our defence tonight? kos, merts, the verminator and santos were fucking outstanding. dealt with everything thrown at them. bar the fuck up at the end but kos had gone and jd is shit. song was on fire and well rvp is just him isnt he. if dennis is god, theirry jesus, what hte fuck is robin?oh and are you watching manchester

Batman

Marc Overmars
23-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Really pleased with the win and qualification, thought we were solid all through the team and played with a real determination.

First half I think we have to give Dortmund credit, they are quality and IMO the best team we've played this season. Ok they don't seem to have much of an end product but at times it felt like we were the away team and chasing shadows.

Second half we took control, brilliant assist from Song, fucking quality that dopey pothead is. Who else but RVP to score, right place at the right time as always, what a man. I think Dortmunds heads dropped after that and it was just a case of seeing it out, and we did that with great ease and professionalism. Got a bonus 2nd goal to cap it off as well. Again, RVP there to finish, what a fucking man. Brilliant flick on from Vermaelen as well.

We won't go into Gervinho's lack of composure again, but the forehead needs to sort his life out tbh.

Dortmund fans. :bow:

What brilliant support.

Arsenal. :bow:

On we go.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-11-2011, 10:58 PM

:pal: Nicklas, Oh...

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Dear Santa. Please could you let Robin van Persie not get injured this season. I've been good all year.
Fanx.
Letters, aged 37.

milla
23-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Dortmund fans are absolute crazy, love their atmosphere. :good:

LDG
23-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Dear Santa. Please could you let Robin van Persie not get injured this season. I've been good all year.
Fanx.
Letters, aged 37.

Sadly Jimmy Savill died :(

Oh!

RVP though :bow:

What's that now? 237 in 4 games.

milla
23-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Fanx.
Letters, aged 37.

Bull*&^% you are at least 47 :sulk:

Xhaka Can’t
23-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Dortmund fans are absolute crazy, love their atmosphere. :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4

Master Splinter
23-11-2011, 11:11 PM
It is a shame Dortmund won't be going through.

If they had RVP they'd be awesome.

Syn
23-11-2011, 11:12 PM
What's that now? 237 in 4 games.

I think he's 10 goals behind Bergkamp's club tally.

He'll probably get that before the next game.

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:12 PM
on another Robin van Persie brace…
He is in a period where of course he doesn't have to look for goals - they just come naturally for him. He is always in the right place at the right moment and he got two goals again tonight from positions that look easy but they are not. He just understands the game so well.

on the match…
Overall it was a good game, Dortmund are a good team. They started stronger than we did but we needed to be patient, intelligent and I think in the second half we increased the tempo of our passing and controlled the game. Slowly you could feel that we could make the difference.

on conceding late…
This time it didn't make a difference. They scored because we lost our focus and concentration. Overall we controlled it well, our defence played well and they had very few chances. We knew the game was over and just became a bit too easy.

on qualifying…
The groups are difficult for the Premier League teams. The level in Germany has gone up a lot. We were in a difficult group and I am very happy and pleased if you see where we came from. We drew Udinese in the qualifier and you could not bet that we could go like we did. Overall I am very happy because we came out from a very difficult period because we were focused, worked hard and were united together.

on being the first English team to qualify…
Manchester United could have qualified last night and of course everybody expected Man City to qualify but we are the first team. It's difficult at this level against anybody - you never win an easy game in the Champions League. I have played 150 games as a manager in the Champions League and every single game gives you a different problem.

on Alex Song's performance…
I was complaining for a long time that we did not score enough goals from set-pieces. So I am very pleased that we did tonight. But I still think we have some room for improvement. But I agree with you completely that Song was exceptional for a defensive midfielder with the first goal. I am pleased for him because we had quite a difficult start in midfield in the first half and we took over in the second half.

on the threat of injury to Van Persie…
At the moment I believe that Robin is an exceptional player. He takes advantage of our offensive style from the wings. We create a lot of chances but I don't deny that at the moment he is the one who scores all the goals. We hope we can keep him fit and with us for a long time.

on what he saw in him for the captaincy…
What I saw in him is that he speaks his mind, he is completely focused on football and thinks day and night about the game. He is completely dedicated. It is not always obvious to put a striker as captain because he is in front of everybody. He was vice captain last year and was then captain while Fabregas was out.

on Gervinho's form…
He is vital for us because Robin likes to go to the ball and Gervinho likes to go into the space so they always push defenders back. That gives us space in midfield to create for Robin. He was a bit less sharp tonight but overall I am very happy.

on Mertesacker's performance…
I thought he had a great game tonight. I tried to analyse his performance against Norwich and I felt he was more tired from the Germany game against Holland. He didn't make bad decisions but his reaction time was not right. It was more down to fatigue.

Wenger :bow:

Arsenal :bow:

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I thought we were good tonight.

The stupid goal at the end did really piss me off though because it typical bloody Arsenal and the sort of mistake we make all the sodding time and while it didn't cost us tonight it will if we keep doing it. They HAVE to stop doing that sort of thing.

That minor whinge aside, good performance.

Gervinho really is bloody awful sometimes, he has ability but he lacks confidence in front of goal and it really showed when he was clean through.

Walcott showed tonight he's not really up to it at this level. He's got great pace and if he can get in behind defenders he's a real threat but if you've got a good defender in front of him he generally can't get past them. He's more of a sprinter than a footballer.

We're looking good as a team now though and it's really positive that we've won a fairly tricky group when the moaners were predicting an early exit from the competition. OK, we probably won't go and win it but we've got it together as a team and Wenger and the players deserve some credit for recovering from the awful summer and start to the season to now looking like a team we can all be proud of and enjoy watching again.

Whiners :pal:

GP
23-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I thought Walcott was alright. Not his best game but he always causes problems. His crossing is superb too.

Ollie the Optimist
23-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I thought we were good tonight.

The stupid goal at the end did really piss me off though because it typical bloody Arsenal and the sort of mistake we make all the sodding time and while it didn't cost us tonight it will if we keep doing it. They HAVE to stop doing that sort of thing.

That minor whinge aside, good performance.

Gervinho really is bloody awful sometimes, he has ability but he lacks confidence in front of goal and it really showed when he was clean through.

Walcott showed tonight he's not really up to it at this level. He's got great pace and if he can get in behind defenders he's a real threat but if you've got a good defender in front of him he generally can't get past them. He's more of a sprinter than a footballer.

We're looking good as a team now though and it's really positive that we've won a fairly tricky group when the moaners were predicting an early exit from the competition. OK, we probably won't go and win it but we've got it together as a team and Wenger and the players deserve some credit for recovering from the awful summer and start to the season to now looking like a team we can all be proud of and enjoy watching again.

Whiners :pal:

walcott was good tonight i thought, covered well. one moment where he sprinted whole pitch to get back and prouduced great tackle to get ball back. just cos he didnt sprint past everyone doesnt mean he didnt have a good game. not a great game by recent standards but still was good imo

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh yes. The atmosphere.
Dortmund :scarf:
Us. :yawn:

It's a bit embarrassing really, we really are a quiet crowd. But that's what's happened, Arsenal have priced out a lot of the traditional fan and marketed themselves at the middle classes who tend not to make as much noise.

Hats off to the German fans for singing at 1-0 down in perfect English
"You only sing when you're winning".

It's funny 'cos they're Krauts.

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:17 PM
walcott was good tonight i thought, covered well. one moment where he sprinted whole pitch to get back and prouduced great tackle to get ball back. just cos he didnt sprint past everyone doesnt mean he didnt have a good game. not a great game by recent standards but still was good imo

He did work hard I guess but he was in the defenders pocket all evening. He did have a half decent shot one time I guess.
Not his most effective performance from him though and I do think he struggles against better defenders, he's not quite at the level we all hoped he'd be. Looks good against pub teams like Norwich though.

milla
23-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Oh yes. The atmosphere.

It's a bit embarrassing really, we really are a quiet crowd. But that's what's happened, Arsenal have priced out a lot of the traditional fan and marketed themselves at the middle classes who tend not to make as much noise.

Zee Germans :bow:

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Zee Germans :bow:

Racist :sulk:

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Thought Walcott did well defensively. Showed other parts to his game other than the sprint past players which we all know he can do.

Was always a threat and was hacked down a few times as he scared the shit out of them as he does with most teams. Hes coming good im afraid.

On the downside, Gervinho, seriously wtf? He is woefully off form and its time for Arshavin

Ollie the Optimist
23-11-2011, 11:21 PM
He did work hard I guess but he was in the defenders pocket all evening. He did have a half decent shot one time I guess.
Not his most effective performance from him though and I do think he struggles against better defenders, he's not quite at the level we all hoped he'd be. Looks good against pub teams like Norwich though.

or chelsea :)

think you being harsh here, yes he was in pocket but still got away at times and was good. put in one blinding cross which keeper was strecthed to save. not great game but he has been great recently. lets not be too harsh atm.

Marc Overmars
23-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh yes. The atmosphere.

I was about 10 seats away from the divide in the clock end. It was a bit embarrassing really. I think everyone was just more interested in gawping at how vocal they were, rather than actually signing for Arsenal. :lol:

Easily the best visiting fans we've had at the Emirates.

LDG
23-11-2011, 11:22 PM

That dummy he threw, and then ran onto the pass and whipped the ball in was fucking top class. More of that, and he'll be awesome.

He's showing signs of getting more agressive, which I reckon is what he lacks.

Lad is still on 21/22 ain't he?

If we can keep him, I'll think he'll come along quite nicely.

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:23 PM
or chelsea :)

The way they defended that day I'd have looked good against them.

Also, where's Zimm? Crossing the City kit off his letter to Santa? :coffee:

Master Splinter
23-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Theo and Gervinho both did well defensively. Theo was also our biggest threat in the first half.

There's not too much to worry about with Gervinho. Just needs some composure.

Also RVP played most of the game as a playmaker and put in a great defensive shift too.

Hard work and tracking back brings results.

Who would have thought?

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:25 PM
That dummy he threw, and then ran onto the pass and whipped the ball in was fucking top class. More of that, and he'll be awesome.

He's showing signs of getting more agressive, which I reckon is what he lacks.

Lad is still on 21/22 ain't he?

If we can keep him, I'll think he'll come along quite nicely.

This and dont forget how good he and RVP are together. Dont believe me, just ask RVP

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/van-persie-assists-are-just-as-important

He like RVP is staying fit and is finally getting a good run in the team and hes doing well.

Long may it continue

WMUG
23-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Why were Dortmund given the top tier as well as the normal away section? Doesn't usually happen for CL nights does it? :unsure:

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Was i the only one annoyed then with the Dortmunds fans?

Wished they'd have STFU and watch the game in peace like Arsenal fans do

Arsenal fans :bow:

Marc Overmars
23-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Why were Dortmund given the top tier as well as the normal away section? Doesn't usually happen for CL nights does it? :unsure:

Maybe the increased demand from them?

We probably wouldn't have sold out the extra 5,000 or so ourselves, given most home games have gone on general sale this year.

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:30 PM
This and dont forget how good he and RVP are together. Dont believe me, just ask RVP

Well he's hardly going to say he's shit is he?
I just didn't think he was that much of a threat going forward today although I accept he worked hard and deserves credit for that. Overall I think he's done OK this year but I don't feel he's where we were all hoping he'd be by now. That said he is only about 22 and he's not had much luck with injuries which will have stopped him progressing somewhat so there's certainly time for him to get better.

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Was i the only one annoyed then with the Dortmunds fans?

Wished they'd have STFU and watch the game in peace like Arsenal fans do

Yeah! At times I could hardly hear the string quartets we get to enjoy during the game in the upper tier :sulk:

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Yeah! At times I could hardly hear the string quartets we get to enjoy during the game in the upper tier :sulk:

Upper tier? What stand?

WMUG
23-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe the increased demand from them?

We probably wouldn't have sold out the extra 5,000 or so ourselves, given most home games have gone on general sale this year.Sure, but that can't be the first time that's happened? Never seen it done before :unsure:

Power n Glory
23-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Walcott was fine. Even after a decent game he gets singled out. He's not the problem.

Take a look at the first 45 minutes and how the middle of the park struggled to get the ball out of our own half. I think a few more people should be paying attention to Arteta and Ramsey. That middle lacks cohesion and once again it's Song that's putting in the tackles, covering the flanks effectively, getting the ball forwards with simple passes and making the assist.

Arteta needs to find his place in this team. I think Santos created more chances than him and looks more comfortable under pressure and turning defence into attack. He had a good game. Same goes for Merts whose been heavily criticised on here as well.

Some good performances but I'd put Arteta and Gervinho down as the weak links for this game. Gervinho will bounce back and seems to always get chances, but Arteta is anonymous at times. Even on defence I saw attackers ghost past him. He's very slow and he will lose his spot to Wilshere when fit it possibly Diaby if he stays fit.

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:35 PM
ARSENAL swept away memories of their awful start to the season as a Robin van Persie double powered the Gunners into the last 16 of the Champions League.

Van Persie hoisted his season's tally to 17 with a header on 48 minutes and a tap-in five minutes from the end.

That saw off a Borussia side who battled hard during the first half but eventually had no answer to Aaron Ramsey's midfield skills and Van Persie's hunger for goals.

And ecstatic Emirates fans will surely have forgotten any talk of early retirement for manager Arsene Wenger, even though Borussia pulled back a goal in time added on.

Arsenal went into the game in high spirits on the back of five straight Premier League victories.

But Dortmund, who beat Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich on Saturday, were in no mood to be overawed and fired in the first shot on target when Shinji Kagawa forced a save from Gunners keeper Wojciech Szczesny.

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, sitting in the Emirates stands alongside tennis star Roger Federer, saw the club's current goal idol Van Persie return the compliment in the 10th minute, with Roman Weidenfeller saving his shot.

But the Londoners, who drew 1-1 in Dortmund in September, had the best chance of the match on 20 minutes when Ramsey released Theo Walcott with a brilliant ball down the right. Weidenfeller raced out to save at the Arsenal man's feet.

With Arsenal showing signs of settling into their game, Dortmund suffered a setback when midfielder Sven Bender was injured and replaced by 18-year-old Moritz Lietner.

Soon after, Dortmund were forced into another midfield change when Mario Gotze went off to be replaced by Ivan Perisic.

Nevertheless, the Germans continued to harry Arsenal in the middle third, denying them a platform to carve out chances.

Wenger's men had the ball in the net on 40 minutes, but 'scorer' Walcott was clearly offside from van Persie's pass.

Borussia flared into life as the first half moved into time added on, but a timely tackle by Alex Song snuffed out the threat as the visitors threatened down the right.

Gunners fans could be forgiven for wondering just when the fireworks would start as half time arrived in a match short on goalmouth action but heavy on tension.

Borussia looked the more threatening at the start of the second half as Kagawa again forced a save from Szczesny.

But the moment Gunners fans had been praying for came just over a minute later as the ever-patient Ramsey started the move that unlocked Borrusia's stubborn defence.

Ramsey, midway in the Germans' half, played the ball back to Song who raced off down the left on a brilliant run that took out three defenders.

The Cameroon star set himself up for a perfect cross to the far post where Van Persie was waiting with a classic downward header that bounced past Weidenfeller with such power that the ball hit the roof of the net before nestling safely for the goal that fired Arsenal's hopes of reaching the knockout stages.

Marcel Schmelzer's exasperation boiled over as he clashed with Ramsey on the touchline, and soon after the Dortmund left back was booked for a foul on Walcott.

With Wales captain Ramsey doing most of the prompting, the match was opening out, and Gervinho could have scored a second on the hour after being put through by Van Persie.

But the ball was whipped off his toe by Mats Hummels as he was about to shoot.

Three Arsenal men — Ramsey, Walcott and Yossi Benayoun — were booked as Dortmund battled to get back into the game.

But there was no way back on 85 minutes when Per Mertesacker headed on a corner to give van Persie a tap-in at the far post.

Kagawa netted in the 91st minute — but it really didn't matter as the Emirates party was well under way.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3955719/Arsenal-2-Borussia-Dortmund-1.html

:haha:

The Sun :pal:

How do you mistake Mert with Verm?

Marc Overmars
23-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Thought Theo was ok, didn't really see anything we didn't already know from him. Stand off him and give him space, he'll run riot as he did against that pub teamer last Saturday.

Get tight to him, force him to make a decision and he's pretty limited, which is what I thought Dortmund's fullback did tonight.

Letters
23-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Upper tier? What stand?

:shrug: Block 111. Think that's the East Stand.

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:40 PM
:shrug: Block 111. Think that's the East Stand.

When i go, im at 106. Pretty close to you then.

Next time i go to a game, the drinks are on you

Syn
23-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Thought Theo was ok, didn't really see anything we didn't already know from him. Stand off him and give him space, he'll run riot as he did against that pub teamer last Saturday.

Get tight to him, force him to make a decision and he's pretty limited, which is what I thought Dortmund's fullback did tonight.

I reckon it's the other way around. If defenders fly in at him, he's quick to kick the ball down the line and chase it. When defenders stand off, he forces himself to run at them (which he's terrible at because he has no tricks).

I think he had a good game today. You can tell he's full of confidence at the moment or else he wouldn't have tried that brilliant, ambitious ball towards RVP in the first half - he'd usually look to run to the byline and cut it back to nobody.

milla
23-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Take a look at the first 45 minutes and how the middle of the park struggled to get the ball out of our own half. I think a few more people should be paying attention to Arteta and Ramsey. That middle lacks cohesion and once again it's Song that's putting in the tackles, covering the flanks effectively, getting the ball forwards with simple passes and making the assist.

Arteta needs to find his place in this team.

:gp:

Our midfield is OK but not good enough IMO, Arteta and Ramsey should be fighting for 3rd CM spot. They are both not comfortable picking the ball from CBs or throw in.We were lucky cos inexperience Dortmund but we wont be so lucky against bigger teams. I hope Wenger will buy at least one CM who is comfortable on the ball and let Arteta and Ramsey fight for the last CM role.
:coffee:

Cripps_orig
23-11-2011, 11:57 PM

Our midfield is OK but not good enough IMO, Arteta and Ramsey should be fighting for 3rd CM spot. They are both not comfortable picking the ball from CBs or throw in.We were lucky cos inexperience Dortmund but we wont be so lucky against bigger teams. I hope Wenger will buy at least one CM who is comfortable on the ball and let Arteta and Ramsey fight for the last CM role.

Goetze :pray:

Marc Overmars
24-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Don't forget Arteta or Ramsey only have a place in the team because of Wilshere's injury. Big decision to be made who to drop when Sir Jack is fit again.

I know he's done great over the past month, but I think maybe Ramsey should be taken out. #justsayin.

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 12:06 AM
I reckon it's the other way around. If defenders fly in at him, he's quick to kick the ball down the line and chase it. When defenders stand off, he forces himself to run at them (which he's terrible at because he has no tricks).

I think he had a good game today. You can tell he's full of confidence at the moment or else he wouldn't have tried that brilliant, ambitious ball towards RVP in the first half - he'd usually look to run to the byline and cut it back to nobody.

He reacts like a striker when it comes to dribbling. He thinks everything has to been done quickly and he's better at reacting to defenders, thinking quicky and responding with quick movement. We said this before but he needs to slow down a bit and force defenders to back up until they have to put in a challenge. Noticed he did that oj one occasion tonight but as soon as he got a yard of space he looked for the early cross when he have kept on going down the line. Their left back was on a yellow so he could have toyed with him a bit. He could have taken down the line and stopper just outside of the box and then try to take his man on. The guy would have been scarred to put a challenge in. Gervinho is great at doing this and Henry used to do it a lot as well.

milla
24-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Don't forget Arteta or Ramsey only have a place in the team because of Wilshere's injury. Big decision to be made who to drop when Sir Jack is fit again.

I know he's done great over the past month, but I think maybe Ramsey should be taken out. #justsayin.

If we really want to play counter attacking style, it is best to have another player with pace. In our case it has to be from midfield. I am actually incline to have Diaby as the 3rd CM but it is unfair to dismiss Ramsey and Arteta, they have quiet well especially against PL pub teams. :coffee:

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd say Arteta. He's slow and can't get up and down the pitch like Ramsey and JW. I think Ramsey is good in the final third and can play the killer pass or find space to get the shot but he needs someone one in the midfield that is comfortable on the ball so he can focus on getting into space. Ramsey is good when he has time to pick out a pass but he suffers when the game is tight. Wilshere can cope under pressure an he has the engine. Arteta gets my vote to go. Right now, Song is the only one that is comfortable when under pressure.

Marc Overmars
24-11-2011, 12:13 AM
If we really want to play counter attacking style, it is best to have another player with pace. In our case it has to be from midfield. I am actually incline to have Diaby as the 3rd CM but it is unfair to dismiss Ramsey and Arteta, they have quiet well especially against PL pub teams. :coffee:
I think Jack would be a like for like swap with Rambo. I feel Arteta and Song is the foundation to build from. Both are hugely disciplined and make vital interceptions, hold up play, draw fouls etc. Song's ability to go to mental and play as an attacker is a bonus as well. I'm liking the look of the midfield at the moment, nothing needs to be changed right now.

I'm not even sure what style of football we're playing at the moment, we seem to be mixing pragmatic play with some classic Wengerball. It's a good balance and we shouldn't do anything to affect that.

gunsofashburtongrove
24-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Great game and win. Up against and technical, athletic and battling team we came out with a deserving win. I saw Fergie in an interview say that to win a game you need 8 players to come good, we had 12. Gervinho's finishing and Songs conceding of the last minute goal were blips, but for the first time since 2005 we have a team which can adapt on the field ,and battle it out while having quality. Adaptability is key and we can counter attack as well as play possession, we can get the low crosses, the cute one twos as well as the through passes. Arteta was brilliant again in a game where his usual possession style was not effective, he compensated with his battling and stifling their midfield. Yossi looks much better than Arshavin, showing off his skill, and commitment, Ramsey showcased his ability to thread passes for the forwards, Mertesacker composed, Vermaelen powerful and decisive as usual. Song had a mixed game like the legs of the shorts he was wearing some of game were short and the rest brilliant. Full backs were brilliant- Santos is officially the best passing full back we have ever had. Kos though not as attacking as our regular RBs had a brilliant game defensively some great interceptions and foiling attacks from BVBs left wing as usual brilliant at reading the game. Our forwards were brilliant as usual. Now after a long time were able to counter attack with pace, adding variety and making it difficult to defend against us. Gervinho has improved the defensive side and despite his failings with finishing, is brilliant with his attacking play. Theo finally looks to have come of age, he looks good defensively but more importantly his passing has improved which aids him in playing better against teams which play behind the ball. He still lacks the classical trickery and skill of typical attacking wingers but he is effective. People say Sczecesny is a good goal keeper, i beg to differ i think we are seeing a new tactical evolution here a goal area manager. Its still early days but for the first time in along time we have a very honest team which is prepared to battle it out every game they play

Flavs
24-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Playing a bit shit and winning :bow:

We won so none of the following really matters but i thought we were a bit poo last night. We looked nervy and disjointed I would like to say that's because Dortmund were closing us down so well but its not true. There was also a fair amount of falling out going on all over the pitch, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it was present the whole first half and until we got the goal. Gervinho and Santos should have come off at half time as they were dire. CB's looked solid as did Kos again though which is a positive. Another 2 goals for the Perse to make it....:drumroll: 38 goals in 41 games in 2011, and remembering how wank we were for the first half of the year thats really quite astounding.

Hope the exquisitely named Sven bender gets well soon though looked quite bad when he came off and its been reported this morning he is having to have surgery to repair a badly broken jaw.

Group Winners :bow:

server too busy!
24-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Also everyone seems to be forgetting but it looks like Kos is singlehandedly giving us clean sheets!

Also did anyone else think RvP was offside for the second goal?

Flavs
24-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Also, Mertesacker looks a different entity in Europe to the prem so i would say its a settling in thing for him at the moment, thought aside from one scary moment right at the start they looked good last night.

Marc Overmars
24-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Defensively everyone was sound. We really had to work for the result, very satisfying win against a decent side.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Also, Mertesacker looks a different entity in Europe to the prem so i would say its a settling in thing for him at the moment, thought aside from one scary moment right at the start they looked good last night.

He was always suited to the CL though, it was the prem he always needed to adapt to.

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Merts is solid in the Prem as well. Against Norwich he had that one wobble but was fine after that. I think he's made a good start and has only had really bad moments against Chelsea and Norwich and that's the key thing, just a bad moment. It's never case of him making a mistake and looking nervy for the rest of the game which is a problem we've had with many of our defenders in the past.

Kano
24-11-2011, 10:09 AM

def. rotate the two, so they can both develop without being overplayed and exposed to injury. ramsey reminds me a lot of cesc in how he runs and moves the ball along, and has developed really well this season. a bit up and down in recent weeks but that's to be expected.

Flavs
24-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Ramsey is the better player IMO

(I can feel a thread coming on here)

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Such a good feeling tbh, this time last season it was horrible.

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Ramsey is the better player IMO

(I can feel a thread coming on here)

Far from it.

Flavs
24-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Wilshere is overrated due to his age and GHELishness tbf

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Wilshere is overrated due to his age and GHELishness tbf

Are you wumming or do you actually believe that

Flavs
24-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you wumming or do you actually believe that

I believe it, if he were foreign he wouldnt be rated anywhere near as high

Letters
24-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't agree. Walcott was over-rated because he was young and English but I've seen Wilshere enough to believe he's the real deal.
Wilshere has impressed at club and international level in a way Walcott didn't at his age.

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 11:29 AM

I think you may have a point.

Flavs
24-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't agree. Walcott was over-rated because he was young and English but I've seen Wilshere enough to believe he's the real deal.
Wilshere has impressed at club and international level in a way Walcott didn't at his age.

I agree about Walcott but Wilshere is blown out of proportion by the media and a lot of fans IMO

Kano
24-11-2011, 11:36 AM
you're right he is but he is still a better all round player than ramsey at the moment. not by a country mile but his game is more developed.

Syn
24-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Wilshere was, by some distance, our best performer last season over the course of 38 games. You had Nasri playing brilliantly for 2-3 months but Jack was consistently excellent (though not as good as Nasri at his best). His natural ability can't be questioned - he's capable of doing shit that quite frankly Cesc and many other top players aren't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3pZaRvt6g8 ...he steps up a gear in the big games (see Carling Cup final and his motm performance against Barcelona: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8Ie4MyRX0 ). He was playing in a more defensive position for us last season (which is why Cappello started making comparisons with Makelele and everyone went mental) but this season he should get forward now that Cesc is no longer our no.10/ACM. Needs to add goals to become the complete player but he has shown he has everything else in his locker.

The biggest question is that will he be able to get back to the level he was at before the injury or will the injury have caused him to go backwards in his development. Ramsey needed a long time before he started to play well (which is now), Eduardo never really got back at all...there's no guarantees that Wilshere will be able to fit back in like nothing happened. But if he does, he's one of the best players in the league. Already.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 11:51 AM

We also hace Coq who can do a job, Rosicky who we could have used yesterday. and Arshavin who needs to played in the "cesc role" not on the wing. However since insulting wenger seems not to be getting games at all.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 11:52 AM

fair play

IBK
24-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I disagree re Arteta. For me he has been instrumental in allowing us to keep our shape - not to mention allowing Song to use his physical presence to get up the field. Unspectacular (which IMO is why he's being singled out), but effective in doing the simple things correctly. He lacks pace - which is why he was exposed by the most explosive team we've played this season in the first half (and yes I incude Manure here - whose score against us was flattering and mostly down to us being in turmoil and badly unbalanced). But generally I think he's been good news and would prefer a balanced blend in MF (which we have) rather than a team built around a want-away player.

hymppi
24-11-2011, 02:53 PM
good win.
please, play youngsters in the next cl match. good experience for them and it doesn't matter what the outcome is.

Kaiser
24-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I think the idea that Arteta lacks pace is a little misleading. He's probably not as quick as he was pre-injury, but he's certainly just as fast as Fabregas was if not more. I remember several instances of pace + good positioning which lead to him slowing down / breaking up Dortmund's attacks. He has forged a fine balance and understanding with Songenbauer.

Master Splinter
24-11-2011, 07:00 PM
If you want the cavalier, free-flowing, non-stop-attacking Arsenal of the past, then Arteta is probably a bit of an annoyance.

But if you want an Arsenal team who'll do the basics right, put in the required graft and be more efficient, then Arteta is a vital component.

Myles Palmer is an idiot, but I saw this article earlier, in which one of his readers makes some good points: http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/2271/30/Unsung-hero-Arteta-has-improved-Arsenal.

IBK
24-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I think the idea that Arteta lacks pace is a little misleading. He's probably not as quick as he was pre-injury, but he's certainly just as fast as Fabregas was if not more. I remember several instances of pace + good positioning which lead to him slowing down / breaking up Dortmund's attacks. He has forged a fine balance and understanding with Songenbauer.

Point taken - perhaps I am skewed by the obsession with speed in the EPL these days.

Master Splinter
24-11-2011, 09:01 PM
An article praising our defence:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/24/arsenal-champions-league-defence?newsfeed=true

:faint:

Good to see there's at least one writer out there who bases his pieces on what actually happens on the pitch rather than pre-conceived cliches and headline-grabbing misinformation.

Xhaka Can’t
24-11-2011, 09:14 PM
An article praising our defence:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/24/arsenal-champions-league-defence?newsfeed=true

:faint:

Good to see there's at least one writer out there who bases his pieces on what actually happens on the pitch rather than pre-conceived cliches and headline-grabbing misinformation.

We don't like it up us.

GP
24-11-2011, 09:27 PM
We don't like it up us.

I do.

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 11:37 PM
If you want the cavalier, free-flowing, non-stop-attacking Arsenal of the past, then Arteta is probably a bit of an annoyance.

But if you want an Arsenal team who'll do the basics right, put in the required graft and be more efficient, then Arteta is a vital component.

Myles Palmer is an idiot, but I saw this article earlier, in which one of his readers makes some good points: http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/2271/30/Unsung-hero-Arteta-has-improved-Arsenal.

Wilshere provides the graft and work rate that Arteta does plus the quality in distribution and switching play from attack to defence. In a couple of months it won't be either or. He works hard but who doesn't?

Master Splinter
25-11-2011, 05:10 AM
He works hard but who doesn't?

Most of the Arsenal team for the past few years?

Experienced guys like Arteta, Mertesacker and even Santos can have a positive effect on younger players if they lead by example. Even regulars like Song, RVP and Walcott have taken their tracking back and defensive play more seriously this season and it also seems to have had a noticeable effect in lifting their overall game to another level.

Wilshere is a better player than Arteta (and pretty much every midfielder in England) but he still has silly moments of inexperience and would probably not slow the game down and take the sting out of opponents' flow as well. Arteta hasn't been spectacular; I thought he was far too inhibited in his early games for us. But he has grown game by game and has barely put a foot wrong defensively. If his presence continues to lead to good results, why should he not be in the team? Rather than focus on him not being Fabregas or Wilshere, why not focus on what he does well? People wanted a change in the team, and Arteta is a positive part of that. We might not be playing consistently beautiful football, but we're getting results. As the team improves, the football will too. And that could be with Wilshere alongside Arteta.

Wenger seems to agree too: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-arteta-has-made-us-more-solid

Power n Glory
25-11-2011, 07:19 AM
I keep a close eye on him every game and I think he's overrated by Arsenal fans. The older players have a positive effect on team morale, can't deny that.

As for Wenger, he's probably right, but he'll defend his team selection. When Arshavin was under fire, he justified his selection to the press and fans as well.

Playere like Merts, Santos, Walcott, Gervinho...get pulled on the mistakes they make but Arteta gets a pass for some reason even though he can be just as guilty. Giving the ball away, losing possession in a dangerous area, bad positioning....not a word is said. I'll keep a close eye on him in the next game but I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Flavs
25-11-2011, 08:30 AM
good win.
please, play youngsters in the next cl match. good experience for them and it doesn't matter what the outcome is.
It depends who we named in the 25 man squad. We will definitely rotate but i don't think it will be a team of Carling cup splendour. Diaby, Rosicky and the Coq should start in midfield though :bow:

Flavs
25-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Most of the Arsenal team for the past few years?

Experienced guys like Arteta, Mertesacker and even Santos can have a positive effect on younger players if they lead by example. Even regulars like Song, RVP and Walcott have taken their tracking back and defensive play more seriously this season and it also seems to have had a noticeable effect in lifting their overall game to another level.

Wilshere is a better player than Arteta (and pretty much every midfielder in England) but he still has silly moments of inexperience and would probably not slow the game down and take the sting out of opponents' flow as well. Arteta hasn't been spectacular; I thought he was far too inhibited in his early games for us. But he has grown game by game and has barely put a foot wrong defensively. If his presence continues to lead to good results, why should he not be in the team? Rather than focus on him not being Fabregas or Wilshere, why not focus on what he does well? People wanted a change in the team, and Arteta is a positive part of that. We might not be playing consistently beautiful football, but we're getting results. As the team improves, the football will too. And that could be with Wilshere alongside Arteta.

:goodpost:

You "literally" cant understate the importance Arteta has had on the team so far.

Master Splinter
25-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Playere like Merts, Santos, Walcott, Gervinho...get pulled on the mistakes they make but Arteta gets a pass for some reason even though he can be just as guilty. Giving the ball away, losing possession in a dangerous area, bad positioning....not a word is said. I'll keep a close eye on him in the next game but I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe you're just being selective?

A lot of people have criticised Arteta during games (he was giving away too many free-kicks, but has stopped that now), including me. Most non-schizophrenic posters on here are pretty fair with their praise and criticism for players.

Kano
25-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I keep a close eye on him every game and I think he's overrated by Arsenal fans. The older players have a positive effect on team morale, can't deny that.

As for Wenger, he's probably right, but he'll defend his team selection. When Arshavin was under fire, he justified his selection to the press and fans as well.

i think we all keep a close eye on the players during games and i'm not sure he's being overrated. sure, if people were saying that he has been dynamite and the team leader then i'd agree but a vast majority are saying he's helped steady the ship, he's done the basics very well and solidified the midfield.

there really isn't that much fuss being made about him, he's just put in a consistent seven rating pretty much every game which is what our team needed.