24-11-2011, 11:04 AM
He never looks like scoring.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Sell him he's shit
:joker:

Syn
24-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Right...how can I say this without people throwing a hissy fit...

See Drogba's goal yesterday? Van Persie hasn't been scoring like that lately. His incredible goalscoring form is mainly the result of fantastic support and obviously a lot also to do with Van Persie having that striker's instinct. Van horseface-esque. But he also contributes a lot to create chances (though not usually his own goals) which Van Horseface didn't do.

So yeah - well done team.

I think this season's scoring rate is more impressive than his overall 2011 one - again this is probably to do with better support from wide players and midfield.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 11:18 AM
He scuffed most of them.

Wenger knows

Power n Glory
24-11-2011, 11:50 AM

See Drogba's goal yesterday? Van Persie hasn't been scoring like that lately. His incredible goalscoring form is mainly the result of fantastic support and obviously a lot also to do with Van Persie having that striker's instinct. Van horseface-esque. But he also contributes a lot to create chances (though not usually his own goals) which Van Horseface didn't do.

I think this season's scoring rate is more impressive than his overall 2011 one - again this is probably to do with better support from wide players and midfield.

He's getting the fox in the box type goals and scoring on a regular. He really has improved. His off the ball movement is miles better.

Marc Overmars
24-11-2011, 12:02 PM
He's the complete striker. Capable of scoring all types of goals, can link play and assist, lead the line on his own etc.

Great player, all he had to do was stay fit. Even when he was only appearing for 3 months a season, he was still more productive than anyone else, which is why it was always worth keeping him for his fleeting contributions.

What a man.

Letters
24-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I was one of the people saying we should sell him because of his persistent injuries.

Me :pal:

That said, if he does get a serious injury this year and we collapse as a result I'll have had a point.

Me :bow:

:unsure:

GP
24-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd quite like to have sex with him.

Coney
24-11-2011, 12:51 PM
38 in 41...RvP's 2011 so far

That is all

2% short of 39.

PGFC
24-11-2011, 01:00 PM

:good: He's a quick finisher.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 01:04 PM
:good: He's a quick finisher.

thats nice to know about GP what about RVP

Niall_Quinn
24-11-2011, 01:17 PM

I already have :coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
24-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I already have :coffee:

Ahhh. . .so his celebration against Norwich was a personal tribute to you?

Ollie the Optimist
24-11-2011, 01:53 PM
this season alone, he has 17 in 18.

and joker said he wasnt consistent enough :haha:

IBK
24-11-2011, 02:11 PM

I was going to say something similar - so well put mate as usual.

RVP has been awesome, but I am getting a bit sick of the stuck record amongst punters and press that has changed from glorying in our misfortune and demise to suggesting that we're doomed because we are a one man team. RVP is our lone striker and our captain. Although he he is doing his job marvellously well - he is being given the opportunity to do so principally by having two wingers who are on his wavelength. Hardly a surprise that he is getting so many goals really. I'd agree that we look lacking if RVP is rotated/gets injured - but we have now achieved a decent balance to the side and there is nothing to suggest that without the main man to pass to - others such as Rambo and Walcott, or even Arshavin cannot step into the gap.

For me, what RVP's goals show is how well we are functioning and creting chances going forward - ie we are making our set-up work. Which is what teams are supposed to do, is it not?

Ollie the Optimist
24-11-2011, 02:13 PM

RVP has been awesome, but I am getting a bit sick of the stuck record amongst punters and press that has changed from glorying in our misfortune and demise to suggesting that we're doomed because we are a one man team. RVP is our lone striker and our captain. Although he he is doing his job marvellously well - he is being given the opportunity to do so principally by having two wingers who are on his wavelength. Hardly a surprise that he is getting so many goals really. I'd agree that we look lacking if RVP is rotated/gets injured - but we have now achieved a decent balance to the side and there is nothing to suggest that without the main man to pass to - others such as Rambo and Walcott, or even Arshavin cannot step into the gap.

For me, what RVP's goals show is how well we are functioning and creting chances going forward - ie we are making our set-up work. Which is what teams are supposed to do, is it not?

isnt it similar to henry? he could create chances out of nothing of course but a lot his goals where because of freddie, pires, dennis etc. he got the credit but without them he wouldnt of scored

Young Guns 11
24-11-2011, 02:18 PM
isnt it similar to henry? he could create chances out of nothing of course but a lot his goals where because of freddie, pires, dennis etc. he got the credit but without them he wouldnt of scored

Not quite. Henry was still several levels above RvP, especially in terms of creating chances for himself. We are definitely less of a 1-man team with RvP than we were with Henry.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Not quite. Henry was still several levels above RvP, especially in terms of creating chances for himself. We are definitely less of a 1-man team with RvP than we were with Henry.

This...

IBK
24-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Which is a good thing and belies the pundits' favourite topic when it comes to us. Like I say, we (and RVP) are benefitting from a much better balanced team with a far better mentality than the past few seasons.

Marc Overmars
24-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Do you think Chamakh would be scoring these goals if he came in?

Japan Shaking All Over
24-11-2011, 03:05 PM
better balanced yes and without the token prima donna that we suffered in past years......RvP is the go to man but he doesnt demand the ball or expect it to go through him every time.....

we have the potential for goals from other quarters......God knows Gerv has shown he knows the way to the goal.....and I believe we will soon see more of the others chipping in

as much as the 8:2 defeat at Old Trafford was needed, dare I say getting shod of Cesc and Nas was too.......

we still have a long way to go and I still think Wenger needs to play January transfer window well......but for me the signs are positive and to a certain extent we are still holding the moral high ground by doing it in a less open cheque book style, that some of the others are......still need a cup would be nice though to show our way works.....

hymppi
24-11-2011, 03:11 PM
He's the complete striker. Capable of scoring all types of goals, can link play and assist, give sweet head, lead the line on his own, hung like a horse etc.

Great player, all he had to do was stay fit. Even when he was only appearing for 3 months a season, he was still more productive than anyone else, which is why it was always worth keeping him for his fleeting contributions.

What a man.

this.
ummm. wait..

Master Splinter
24-11-2011, 03:44 PM

:gp:

It visibly pains them to give the team credit because it has ruined their predictions of us crumbling.

When we were scoring goals from all around the pitch like in the last few seasons, some thought it was a problem because we had no one player who was especially prolific.

Now it's a problem that a disgustingly in-form striker is reaping the benefits of great team work.

I'm not saying Ju or Chamakh will start banging them in for fun if RVP gets injured, but if the team continues to work well together then the chances will come and others can make up for it.

Young Guns 11
24-11-2011, 03:45 PM

You'd certainly hope he'd score the 2 that RvP scored yesterday, and same with his first against Norwich. Those goals are bread and butter, but the 2nd goal against Norwich is what sets him apart from Chamakh and the reggae reggae version of Rocky Dennis, especially his miss last night. Van would have buried that, no doubt.

Niall_Quinn
24-11-2011, 04:02 PM

If I had to put money on it then I'd say no, Chamakh could not get 38 goals by the time he's 41.

Edinburgh Gooner
24-11-2011, 05:19 PM
RvP is a striker, and a strikers job is to score goals. As has said before, the players around him are giving him the goal scoring chances. I'm really pissed off with the media and also friends who keep saying we are a one man team. Did that happen when Ronaldo was the main player of Manure? No they didn't. They were praised as being a "good team".

IBK
24-11-2011, 05:21 PM

No - but that's because he's woefully off form not because RVP is the only player with the potential to score goals in our team - and even then if Chamakh had been played regularly up front he'd have bagged a few - bendy managed to in the season before last. Walcott and Ashy would have scored a few too.

IBK
24-11-2011, 05:22 PM
RvP is a striker, and a strikers job is to score goals. As has said before, the players around him are giving him the goal scoring chances. I'm really pissed off with the media and also friends who keep saying we are a one man team. Did that happen when Ronaldo was the main player of Manure? No they didn't. They were praised as being a "good team".

Quite. Or when Torres was in his best years for 'pool.

Coney
24-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Not just Ronaldo. More so when they had RvN who the media thought was the horses dogs bollocks, could do no wrong, etc. - I don't recall them doing the 'one man team' shit then.

Edinburgh Gooner
24-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Not just Ronaldo. More so when they had RvN who the media thought was the horses dogs bollocks, could do no wrong, etc. - I don't recall them doing the 'one man team' shit then.

Coney, I thought of Van Horseface at first, but Ronaldo was/is a machine. He is scoring for fun at Real, and at Manure he was scoring and creating. It seems that because it is Arsenal, the media are focusing on RvP's record. I think that if we had another striker (not one we have atm) they would be putting the chances away too. What I am getting at is, that the rest of the team are not getting the credit from the media that they deserve.

IBK
24-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Coney, I thought of Van Horseface at first, but Ronaldo was/is a machine. He is scoring for fun at Real, and at Manure he was scoring and creating. It seems that because it is Arsenal, the media are focusing on RvP's record. I think that if we had another striker (not one we have atm) they would be putting the chances away too. What I am getting at is, that the rest of the team are not getting the credit from the media that they deserve.

Agreed - although I would say its a little early to be after 'credit'. A little less negative bias would do me ATM.

Coney
25-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Sure - and I have a suspicion that when Ferguson sold RvN when he was still producing for them and showing no signs of slowing, it could have been a smart move to avoid the other players resenting the way the media gave him credit for everything when the vast majority of his goals were simple tap-ins after the likes of Ronaldo and Giggs had done all the hard work getting past defences and passing the ball onto his toe-cap 3 feet from the goal.

[Actually, the worst case of this I remember seeing was after an RvN goal drought of several matches, he was standing on the 6 yard line facing the goal and a 30 yard shot over his head from Forlan whizzed past, bounced off the cross bar so fast that before he could react at all, the ball hit his leg (which he had not moved - he was standing still not knowing what was happening) and the ball bounced off into the net. The commentator came in his pants and was ranting about how great it was that RvN was showing the return of his fantastic goal scoring talent, etc. No credit to Forlan for the shot that made it all happen. Mind you, what do we expect? Commentators and reporters get onto a mantra and just churn out the same shit week in year out until a new mantra is started and takes over for the next few years. The idea of letting facts get in the way never seems to occur to them.)

Power n Glory
25-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Our own players are banging on about how important it is to keep Robin fit. If RVP gets injured then we'll see if the team are still confident, but I think we will suffer without him. Attack wise, we're still not carving teams open like we used to. I don't think this some media conspiracy. Theo, Gervinho, Ramsey and Arteta need to start banging in more goals and getting more assists.

Flavs
25-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Perhaps we should do like Martin Keown says and sign Henry on loan for a few months as cover...

IBK
25-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Our own players are banging on about how important it is to keep Robin fit. If RVP gets injured then we'll see if the team are still confident, but I think we will suffer without him. Attack wise, we're still not carving teams open like we used to. I don't think this some media conspiracy. Theo, Gervinho, Ramsey and Arteta need to start banging in more goals and getting more assists.

Can't really see what you are saying here mate. Of course our own players want to keep fit a striker who is probably on the hottest streak in top flight football ATM. Why wouldn't they? Does that mean that we are only doing well because of RVP's individual brilliance? Of course it doesn't. You talk about Theo; Gerv; Ramsey and Arteta gettig more assists. What do you think the fiirst 3 are doing right now - is RVP assisting himself? And Arteta has been positioned too deep to be expecting him to be getting shed loads of assists. As someone points out above, RVP's goals have not tended to be ones of individual brilliance. While he is brilliant, they have been the result of team play.

Like it or not - when you have a striker on white-hot form who is also club captain, players are going to be looking to get the ball to him - so he can do what he is put in the team to do. Noone's suggested a press 'conspiracy' - people are frustrated because a rapidly improving team performance is being dammned with faint praise by the implication that we are a one man team - when in fact the team is doing very well ATM at working to a plan for winning games - something that was lacking in the Cesc years - despite the greater incidence of goals from midfield.

I disagree that we are not carving teams open. We're not the invincibles, but I am seeing far more directness and movement that in the endless passing of a year ago. For all his profligacy in front of goal Gervinho seems to be able to get forward almost at will. Theo is rejeuvenated on the right and Ramsey and Santos are far more dynamic than many of our players were last season. We have to understand that teams are far harder to break down than a decade ago - its very telling that the high scoring games this season have generally come between the top teams - those lower down the league are far cagier and know how to defend in numbers. I'd say that our current system has been better against those teams parking the bus than in previous years.

Of course losing RVP would be a big loss - he wouldn't be doing his job if not. Maybe we are a striker light - and we won't get to see whether other players can step into the gap until RVP gets injured. But this 'traditional' method of relying on your striker to get goals is working for me.

Syn
25-11-2011, 10:36 AM
We are indeed a beautiful pub team these days. No.9 heading in goals, 'Well-worked corners', Ramsey picking a fight for no reason, players like Arteta that do nothing but 'get the job done'....we are a Frimpong away from domination.

Flavs
25-11-2011, 10:46 AM
We are indeed a beautiful pub team these days. No.9 heading in goals, 'Well-worked corners', Ramsey picking a fight for no reason, players like Arteta that do nothing but 'get the job done'....we are a Frimpong away from domination.

We need a big leg breaking, knuckle dragging, racist, shaven headed, not that kind of lad type central defender though.

LDG
25-11-2011, 10:46 AM
We need a big leg breaking, knuckle dragging, racist, shaven headed, not that kind of lad type central defender though.

When do you start playing?

Syn
25-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Being German and all that, Mertesacker has got potential.

Santos is currently the most English player we have though. I reckon he'll be raking his studs down a few calves when he's too fat to deal with the poncy winger.

Flavs
25-11-2011, 11:02 AM
When do you start playing?

I'm not racist!!

Oh...

Power n Glory
25-11-2011, 11:26 AM
They need more goals and assists. Goals especially. We are heavily dependent on RVP right now and that's noise coming from
coming from our own camp. I get the feeling this team would suffer a knock of confidence if he picked up an injury.

It's a team effort but besides RVP, all of our attackers are a bit hit and miss. They're setting up goals but RVP's movement off the ball can't be underestimated. He's making the right sort of runs and that's important. Bring in Chamakh we'd see a huge difference. He'd be dropping too deep and passing at every opportunity instead of shooting. Not so sure about Park, but he's had a couple of quiet games and I'm guessing the team would need time to figure out his movement and runs.

We've still got a way to go and we need the rest to start hitting their stride and playing with confidence and consistency. We're solid at the moment, but still not there yet. As Wenger said, it can take one game for a team to lose all confidence and many games to build it back up. I just hope RVP doesn't get injured anytime soon because that's the one blow that could completely mess with our confidence. It wasn't just the Invincible team that carved teams open, i remember incredible attacking displays some years back when we'd have Cesc, Ade, Hleb and Rosicky on fire. Champions League nights when we'd bury teams even Carling Cup nights where the kids would get in on the act. Games where we'd play so well, we're trying to set up a hat trick for someone and we're stringing together stunning one touch passes. Samba type football. We're not there yet. And I'm not just talking about the style of play or thrashing teams, i'm talking about the confidence that flowed through the team and players having the audacity to try certain things. I'm getting carried away. :lol:

We used to play some stunning stuff but it agent stale somewhere down the line. probably after the Ade and Gallas fiasco. We're looking better now but we need a couple more players to hit the sort of form RVP is on because we used to have teams where two or three players were red hot. Still got a way to go.

Kano
25-11-2011, 11:35 AM
and we won't see that type of football again. the experience he has bought in means a lot more discipline across the two lines so the football will be more functional at times, combined with our ability to attack well, which is what we've been crying out for.

LDG
25-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Park seemed to link up well with Arshavin. Which says to me, he's an intellegent player.

Arshavin is often too quick thinking for most of our team.

But he is also fat.

Power n Glory
25-11-2011, 11:43 AM
and we won't see that type of football again. the experience he has bought in means a lot more discipline across the two lines so the football will be more functional at times, combined with our ability to attack well, which is what we've been crying out for.

I very much doubt that because Wenger's philosophy on football hasn't changed. The longer the team play together, the better the understanding and movement gets. That's what happened with the Invincible team. It just evolved into Total Telepathy. The Cesc era had those moments as well. Wenger still believes in the beautiful game and in time this team will develop their own rhythm but hopefully, we're more solid. This is a brand new team and we're just getting starter. His job is to make sure we're hard to beat.

LDG
25-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I very much doubt that because Wenger's philosophy on football hasn't changed. The longer the team play together, the better the understanding and movement gets. That's what happened with the Invincible team. It just evolved into Total Telepathy. The Cesc era had those moments as well. Wenger still believes in the beautiful game and in time this team will develop their own rhythm but hopefully, we're more solid. This is a brand new team and we're just getting starter. His job is to make sure we're hard to beat.

It's actually quite exciting :patrice:

Kano
25-11-2011, 11:55 AM

i dont think his philosophy has changed entirely but the failure of his project obviously affected his approach and whilst we'll still see some great football, i think it will be grounded far more in reality than the past 5/6 years.

Power n Glory
25-11-2011, 12:08 PM
i dont think his philosophy has changed entirely but the failure of his project obviously affected his approach and whilst we'll still see some great football, i think it will be grounded far more in reality than the past 5/6 years.

Funny enough, the failure hasn't changed his philosophy. Check his recent interview. He's just building another team and we're seeing the early ground work. Not sure but what you mean by 'grounded in reality'.

Fist of Lehmann
25-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Funny enough, the failure hasn't changed his philosophy. Check his recent interview. He's just building another team and we're seeing the early ground work. Not sure but what you mean by 'grounded in reality'.Think he was talking about pragmatism....over idealism.

Coney
25-11-2011, 01:16 PM

I think so - he is now aware that you can't turn youngsters into tough reliable players without a few experienced players around them. Perhaps he hoped that the young players would do that themselves but that part did not work out. The remaining philosophy was pretty much OK. It is similar to what made Ferguson successful - experienced backbone as a frame for bringing in the academy/younger players, with the odd special buy.

Master Splinter
18-12-2011, 12:06 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2075584/Arsenal-ace-Robin-van-Persie-reveals-secret-goal-scoring-streak.html

RVP :bow:.

alexander
18-12-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2075584/Arsenal-ace-Robin-van-Persie-reveals-secret-goal-scoring-streak.html

RVP :bow:.

nice to read these positive things coming out of the club.

Marc Overmars
18-12-2011, 12:13 PM
RVP. :bow:

Bouchra. :bow: