PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction - Arsenal vs Fulham

Japan Shaking All Over
26-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Oh well not a loss

Ollie the Optimist
26-11-2011, 07:28 PM
tired after a midweek game, last few weeks they have been playing their hearts out so are bound to be a bit tired. annoying to draw but lets not go over the top here unless its about arshavin. that useless fat cunt can fuck off

Marc Overmars
26-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Disappointing result, I think we all would have seen this as another good chance to bag 3 points. The run had to end some time though and we did look a little fucked, a lot of effort has obviously gone into hauling ourselves up the table.

It's frustrating because our poor start means we're playing catch up every game, and dropping silly points like this is not good enough, but I think everyone knows that.

On we go.

Xhaka Can’t
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hRYIuxVfHiE/TIVnbbYn7yI/AAAAAAAAACY/XOHxBMNg6m8/s1600/162_suicide-booth_1152.png

hymppi
one point. could come handy later. (yes. please edit. :lol: )
fucking annoying, the football.
chin up lads.

McNamara That Ghost...
Fuck.

Although we're going to drop points at some point. So long as we don't back it up by fucking up against Wigan.

Olivier's xmas twist
Players seemed to be tired, tbh it was always going to be a hard game after the midwek game. Ashavin should never play again for the club, seems like he don't really care anyways.

no to dissapointed, you can't beat all the teams can you. lets hope we do better in the CC game.

Master Splinter
Oh well is a good reaction.

As long we bounce back in the next game anyway.

Djourou was not only surprsingly not responsible for the fuck-up, but was probably our best player.

Gervinho is also a million times better than Arshavin.

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Arshavin does not get many opportunities these days.

It is easy to see why.

Coney
26-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Arshavin does not get many opportunities these days.

It is easy to see why.

We can correct the situation in just over a month. :good:

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:32 PM
We were always going to lose a few between now and May, but I fucking hate it when we lose and the effort is less than 100%. Arshavin was a joke again. Theo has got to be the most infuriating player in the game, the guy just doesn't learn. Even so, we had to score Fulham's goal for them, the ref was disgrace (as normal) and Fulham came here to wreck the spectacle and were happy to brick up the goal. I hope the team realises that a couple more giveaways like this and 4th place is gone.

milla
26-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Midfield is poor, nearly no creativity at all, Arteta and Ramsey didnt do enough IMO. Please please Viniger, buy Gotze and send Arshavin back to Russia. :coffee:

Joker
26-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Really poor performance apart from the last 15 minutes. The midfield was seriously lacking in creativity, and the lack of tempo in our play has been a hallmark of our performances this season. We've got away with it for the last few weeks, but we can't keep a winning streak going playing the way we have this season. The 5 wins in a row is a red herring, we've improved defensively since the start of the season but our offensive play has been poor in general.

And I'm sorry, but Arteta doesn't inspire me with confidence. It's all well and good saying that he's doing the defensive work and he keeps things ticking over, but we need much more from him. Song is doing the defensive work in midfield, and Arteta must stop hiding. The last minute of today's game summed him up. When we needed him to drive forward and try and create a final chance for us, he got caught in possession and gave Fulham the ball. This is not good enough. Some supporters have lowered their expectations of what this team can accomplish which is fair enough, but let's not forget, we had a large transfer surplus in the summer, and the fact that we're forced to field such a mediocre midfield speaks volumes about Wenger's lack of judgement in the transfer window.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Yup!
We arent going to win every game, although I was confident we would this one.

Arshavin should not start as a winger ahead of Gerv again, no matter what Ach says but come ANC we will be seeing him more me thinks > Oxo/Miya :pray:

Djouru played well today snd I thought Merts was OK too. Santos looking more solid and we look less of a train wreck defending high balls.
Midfield was passable apart from first few minutes when I was thinking we are going to mulla them.

RvP needs support or we need another option we he is tired - Would Ju have been a decent try for this game?

Strong plan needed for the Jan transfer window.

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I doubt we'll see much more of Arshavin. And that suits me fine. Wenger probably only felt the need to play him because the team of recent weeks has worked hard and he rotated accordingly to make best use of the team's resources. Unfortunately it is clear Wenger will have to write off the use of Arshavin. The guy does not care and is one of the few residual cancerous cells left in the team. Getting rid of him in January will be no loss to us at all - even if he were not to be replaced.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Really poor performance apart from the last 15 minutes. The midfield was seriously lacking in creativity, and the lack of tempo in our play has been a hallmark of our performances this season. We've got away with it for the last few weeks, but we can't keep a winning streak going playing the way we have this season. The 5 wins in a row is a red herring, we've improved defensively since the start of the season but our offensive play has been poor in general.

And I'm sorry, but Arteta doesn't inspire me with confidence. It's all well and good saying that he's doing the defensive work and he keeps things ticking over, but we need much more from him. Song is doing the defensive work in midfield, and Arteta must stop hiding. The last minute of today's game summed him up. When we needed him to drive forward and try and create a final chance for us, he got caught in possession and gave Fulham the ball. This is not good enough. Some supporters have lowered their expectations of what this team can accomplish which is fair enough, but let's not forget, we had a large transfer surplus in the summer, and the fact that we're forced to field such a mediocre midfield speaks volumes about Wenger's lack of judgement in the transfer window.

So what's the solution? Sack Wenger and force the transfer window open again? We have what we have.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Would Ju have been a decent try for this game?

Surely a better bet than Chamakh at least. Chamakh is not a striker and we needed a conventional striker in those last 10 mins.

Joker
26-11-2011, 07:42 PM
So what's the solution? Sack Wenger and force the transfer window open again? We have what we have.

Of course we're stuck with this until at least January, but it's absolutely pathetic planning by Wenger. Seriously, we made a lot of money selling Cesc and Nasri, and had enough time to properly replace them with top quality players. I know we've had this debate before, but we really needed to do better business in the transfer window. Instead, we ended up with some mediocre has-beens on the final day of the window, because Wenger is such a stubborn man.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:43 PM
"Arsenal's winning streak has been gunned down - well done Fulham!"

ESPN's closing words. We got both the fucking goals and won the forward passes match-up 150 to -15, gunned down in a landslide 1-1 draw? Cunts. Mike Dean will have to get a job with them when he's finished smearing excrement all across the beautiful game on Saturday afternoons.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Of course we're stuck with this until at least January, but it's absolutely pathetic planning by Wenger. Seriously, we made a lot of money selling Cesc and Nasri, and had enough time to properly replace them with top quality players. I know we've had this debate before, but we really needed to do better business in the transfer window. Instead, we ended up with some mediocre has-beens on the final day of the window, because Wenger is such a stubborn man.

I've already explained to you what's going on but you are determined to chase Wenger around instead, calling him a witch. It's not his money, never was, never will be.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-11-2011, 07:44 PM
We were always going to lose a few between now and May, but I fucking hate it when we lose and the effort is less than 100%. Arshavin was a joke again. Theo has got to be the most infuriating player in the game, the guy just doesn't learn. Even so, we had to score Fulham's goal for them, the ref was disgrace (as normal) and Fulham came here to wreck the spectacle and were happy to brick up the goal. I hope the team realises that a couple more giveaways like this and 4th place is gone.

Yep don't mind not winning as long as the effort was there.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldnt be sad either
I have a lot of time for Gerv by the way he runs right down the throat of the defenders and I feel is inspiring Theo to play slightly better than 'awful'. . . .he needs to learn the art of scoring and we could have an awesome player, shame bout ANC holiday

Cash in on Russian Andy, he dithers around and takes far too much time over things. . .Flavs asked where to play Goetze, good question but he could at least take Arshavins number and leave that headache to Wenger

Do neef another striker tho. . .Chamak clearly missed and thankfully the cross for TV5's goal. . .played with spirit though but not enough for NQ thats for sure

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Glad I don't subscribe to ESPN - or Sky Sports. Not putting a penny into their grubby pockets fills me with satisfaction.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Chamak clearly missed and thankfully the cross for TV5's goal

That's what I thought at the time, thank fuck the ball didn't go to him and TV was able to charge in.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Glad I don't subscribe to ESPN - or Sky Sports. Not putting a penny into their grubby pockets fills me with satisfaction.

Sky Sports is the only reason to even have a TV, what else are you going to watch?

gunsofashburtongrove
Couldn't blame the first 11 for today's result. Key injuries and a fringe that constituted Chamakh and Arshavin doesn't help. The first 11 looked tired today.Also if we were not playing Shitty in a few days have a feeling Rosicky and Yossi would have started ahead of Ramsey and Arshavin. December onward our squad depth and Arsene's ability to rotate will be tested completely. Hope we don't get any fresh injuries

Olivier's xmas twist

What rubbish, You just want to moan for moaning sake, you'd have moaned had we won that gam 5-0. We've been all hailing the new siginings for doing well, soon as we don't win its how rubbish they are etc.

we can't win every game you know. Just because its Fulham don't mean we have the right to beat them especially when we are tired and fulham have been fresh for the last 2 weeks.

Joker
26-11-2011, 07:50 PM
ESPN were typically cuntish as always. The presenter is the biggest piece of shit on television. He's seriously got an Anti-Arsenal agenda and he barely conceals it. Probably something to do with the number of "non white" players in our lineup. He does seem the type to masturbate listening to the National Anthem and draping himself in the Union Jack to make himself feel better.

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I thought Fulham defended very well today and Scwarczer (don't care how its spelt) made the saves when needed - so I was surprised that no one picked up Vermaelen's run.

Surprised and relieved.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I've already explained to you what's going on but you are determined to chase Wenger around instead, calling him a witch. It's not his money, never was, never will be.j

Dont waste your breath NQ. . . .haters gonna hate!
anyway late games require me to watch whatever is dished up in the early hours so calling it a night

Joker
26-11-2011, 07:52 PM
What rubbish, You just want to moan for moaning sake, you'd have moaned had we won that gam 5-0. We've been all hailing the new siginings for doing well, soon as we don't win its how rubbish they are etc.

we can't win every game you know. Just because its Fulham don't mean we have the right to beat them especially when we are tired and fulham have been fresh for the last 2 weeks.

I've not been convinced by Santos, Arteta and (to a lesser extent) Mertesacker since we signed them, and I've not changed my tune since. I know we don't have the "right" to beat any team, but the lethargy that we're seeing from this team is seriously worrying. If intensity and tempo of our game was higher, I could accept dropping points of course, but when it seems our whole mentality isn't correct, you need to ask questions.

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Sky Sports is the only reason to even have a TV, what else are you going to watch?

The ten minute freeviews.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I thought Fulham defended very well today and Scwarczer (don't care how its spelt) made the saves when needed - so I was surprised that no one picked up Vermaelen's run.

Surprised and relieved.

They're a decent enough team but we should have beaten them but a couple of goals. Just upping the pace 10% would have undone them. We made it very comfortable for them.

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2011, 07:54 PM

DOH! I forgot about those.

Stupid 10 minute free reviews.

GP
26-11-2011, 08:10 PM

I only need three, tbh

Cripps_orig
26-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome back Arsenal

Ollie the Optimist
26-11-2011, 08:16 PM
surprised given that van persie didnt score, joker hasnt called for him to be shot and his remains burnt as a warning to all strikers who dont score

Cripps_orig
26-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Ok now ive read the match report on Goal.

Vermaelen :doh:

Vermaelen :bow:

Another Theo assist :bow:

NQ :haha:

Wenger :doh:

Anything worth watching on MOTD in this game?

Olivier's xmas twist
26-11-2011, 08:18 PM
surprised given that van persie didnt score, joker hasnt called for him to be shot and his remains burnt as a warning to all strikers who dont score

Nah he can't RVP has made him look like a mug, so Arteta is his target now.

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Ok now ive read the match report on Goal.

Vermaelen :doh:

Vermaelen :bow:

Another Theo assist :bow:

NQ :haha:

Wenger :doh:

Anything worth watching on MOTD in this game?

You could always play 'spot the contribution from the fat lazy Russian'.

Seriously though, Theo played a decent game and had Ramsey finished off what Theo left on a plate in the first half, the result would likely have been very different.

Cripps_orig
26-11-2011, 08:37 PM
You could always play 'spot the contribution from the fat lazy Russian'.

Seriously though, Theo played a decent game and had Ramsey finished off what Theo left on a plate in the first half, the result would likely have been very different.Usmanov was there?

Il be serious for a second.

Im not pissed off by the result. We werent going to win every game we play. I didnt expect this game to be the one we didnt win but i should have learned by now to expect the unexpected when it comes to this team.

We were never finishing 4th anyway so doesnt really do us damage. No idea if Aston Villa won or not or even if they've played yet but they they are directly below us and need them to not win

Olivier's xmas twist
26-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Usmanov was there?

Il be serious for a second.

Im not pissed off by the result. We werent going to win every game we play. I didnt expect this game to be the one we didnt win but i should have learned by now to expect the unexpected when it comes to this team.

We were never finishing 4th anyway so doesnt really do us damage. No idea if Aston Villa won or not or even if they've played yet but they they are directly below us and need them to not win

So you'll be supporting city tommorw then?

Syn
26-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Well...that was annoying. Have to say Arshavin was a massive disappointment. It would be unfair to blame the result purely on him but we were (and are) going to need to rotate a bit when you're playing 3 games in 7/8 days. He's a big name and if he had any pride at all, he wouldn't at all be happy with sitting on the bench. He was the forgotten man but today he had the chance to put in a good performance. He didn't. It was like we played with 10 men - I was keeping an eye on him and as usual he was just walking back and not offering any support tracking back.

Gervinho will be gone for a month in January and if Wenger isn't going to buy a top attacking mid, he surely has to be looking at Oxlade. We should be looking for players that can inject a bit of pace - I don't know why he isn't coming off the bench.
Looking forward to seeing him play in the Carling Cup.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-11-2011, 09:50 PM
They're a decent enough team but we should have beaten them but a couple of goals. Just upping the pace 10% would have undone them. We made it very comfortable for them.

Agreed, if we played in the 1st half how we played in the last 10 mins we'd have won that game easy, shows how important Geviniho is to us and how Arshavin should never play for us again.

Power n Glory
26-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I'll watch the game when I get home but this was bound to happen. We can't win every game but from the sound of how this went, I'm not surprised by the result. The midfielders aren't creating enough chances and we depend too much on RVP for goals. I've been alarmed by the central midfield for a while and they really have to step it up. RVP can't always be the one on red hot form. We need more players to step it up.

Boss
26-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Disappointed by the result, should have won this.

Need to start giving Park some more time as if Van Persie loses form or gets injured we're fucked. None of the rest seem to be able to finish (apart from Vermaelen, play him at CF tbh).

Happy enough with Arteta as a squad player but not sure he should be starting for us. Chamberlain should have moved ahead of Arshavin in the pecking order months ago.

fakeyank
27-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Disappointed by the result, should have won this.

Need to start giving Park some more time as if Van Persie loses form or gets injured we're fucked. None of the rest seem to be able to finish (apart from Vermaelen, play him at CF tbh).

Happy enough with Arteta as a squad player but not sure he should be starting for us. Chamberlain should have moved ahead of Arshavin in the pecking order months ago.

Agree on park. Dont know why chakma keeps coming on for us. He looks absolutely useless!

Ernesto
27-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I think we did OK to get the draw in the end. After Fulham went a goal up, and we only had 20 mins to draw back level, it looked for all the world like it wouldn't be our day, especially after Schwarzer saved from point blank range from Djourou.

I think we saw the difference yesterday between a team who can potentially go on and win the title, and one challenging for top 4. If we were gunning (no pun intended) for the championship, we'd have scored another with 9 minutes to go. There was no urgency, no real determination to score the winner.

Fulham scored a freakish goal (well, Vermaelen did!) and it's so frustrating how such a goal, when they've shown hardly any attacking threat, is enough to gain them a point. Our game was almost a carbon copy of the one at Old Trafford. The home side doing it all (in fairness, Man Utd probably did more as the home side than we did yesterday) only to get a point.

Not to worry, these sorts of games will affect Spurs soon, too.

I'm not too disheartened. Not too fussed about Man City this midweek either- win or lose. The Wigan game has a must-win capacity about it now.

Come on you Red n Whites!

Ernesto
27-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Also, van Persie- he didn't score, but what an immense game he had!

Best captain since Vieira? Probably

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Surprised by the criticism of Arshavin. He hardly put a foot wrong. He tracked back and didn't leave Santos exposed, popped off a few shots and played some good passes, he's just not suited on the left wing. He doesn't attack the flanks by dribbling as Gervinho does. Theo had a good game, RVP was unlucky not score....I can't really find too much fault with the front 3 to be honest.

The middle of the park was the main problem. Again. That has to be one of the slowest games I've seen us play this season. They weren't pressing to win the ball back and we're coasting. In possession, there was a serious lack of movement. Song was more reserved, Arteta was slow as usual and Ramsey was probably the more lively of the three but the quality of his work was off. Hs should have scored when Theo passed those three defenders. As the game went on, his passing and decision making got worse and he was giving the ball away, so Wenger had to take him off.

Arteta is too slow and not mobile enough. He slows our game down in major way. He takes his time on the ball and his off the ball movement on attack is static. Rarely would you see him make a run forward and there were tikes where we needed more bodies forward to support a counter attack and he just wasn't there. We need someone on the pitch that has more of an engine and that can force the game. I don't think him and Ramsey are a good combo. It took Verms to make the type of run we should have been seeing from either Rams or Art.

We haven't changed our style to more direct play or to counter attack. If a team isn't bringing it to us, we will coast as usual. Also, Gervinho was a big miss. The way he attacks fullbacks opens up spade for us. He will be a big miss in Jan. Arshavin wasn't bad, he just doesn't attack like Gervinho and he wshkukd have probably been playing where Ramsey was playing. If Arteta is just going to sit back all game, we need someone further up the field that has real passing and finishing quality. We're getting no service from the middle at the moment.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Agree on park. Dont know why chakma keeps coming on for us. He looks absolutely useless!

I'm wondering what the point of Park is ($$$). We have him for two seasons, he is then off to embark on an enforced Korea change. We're a fair chunk of the way through this season and none of the options currently used have proved to compensate for or complement Van Persie. If we don't give him his shot now (in the run up to the Christmas sales) when will he get his chance?

Marc Overmars
27-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah it's strange how Park hasn't been given a chance. I think a new striker should be on the shopping list in January, we just don't have enough reliable options. Gervinho has no composure and I wouldn't trust him to play up top, he should stick to his direct running from the wings where he causes trouble. Arshavin just doesn't give a fuck, Chamakh is a non-footballer and Park looks like a marketing tool at the moment. There's Theo, but Wenger doesn't really want to give him a shot.

There's only so much RVP can do and whilst a player of this quality is going to be prolific for any team, it is a cause for concern there doesn't appear to be an alternative.

A CB, Vermaelen, looks to be as good a bet as anyone at the moment to get on the scoresheet, that can't be right.

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 09:52 AM
No point in talking about strikers because that wasn't the problem yesterday. Would be cool to see more of Park, but that's a side issue. We were playing too slow and that's a midfield problem. I thought the front three did the best they could. I don't even think Arshvin played badly.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2011, 10:03 AM
No point in talking about strikers because that wasn't the problem yesterday. Would be cool to see more of Park, but that's a side issue. We were playing too slow and that's a midfield problem. I thought the front three did the best they could. I don't even think Arshvin played badly.

You are completely wrong when making that point. The amount of chances regularly spurned by strikers other than Van Persie is astonishing and has been a key feature of the entire season. To say otherwise is to admit you're not paying attention.

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 10:17 AM
You are completely wrong when making that point. The amount of chances regularly spurned by strikers other than Van Persie is astonishing and has been a key feature of the entire season. To say otherwise is to admit you're not paying attention.

How many clear cut chances were made and how many times were our strikers put through on goal?

Schwarzer made some good saves and we had a shot cleared off the line but this wasn't a game about our strikers. Where did you watch the game? I can't recall Theo or Arshavin being put clean through on goal and scuffing the chances. It was a slow paced game from the start and we lacked urgency. The passing was slow and weren't carving them open. The game changed as soon as Wenger made those subs.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2011, 10:43 AM
How many clear cut chances were made and how many times were our strikers put through on goal?

Schwarzer made some good saves and we had a shot cleared off the line but this wasn't a game about our strikers. Where did you watch the game? I can't recall Theo or Arshavin being put clean through on goal and scuffing the chances. It was a slow paced game from the start and we lacked urgency. The passing was slow and weren't carving them open. The game changed as soon as Wenger made those subs.

Holy crap! It has been happening all season! And on the basis of one game you don't think it is an issue worth discussing?

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Holy crap! It has been happening all season! And on the basis of one game you don't think it is an issue worth discussing? Not for this match thread. What's the point of talking about bringing on strikers when we were struggling to create chances? I'll admit, we need our other attackers to start chipping in on goals, but I've always said the midfield need to find their rhythm. That has been a problem all season as well. This wasn't game where you could say we were punished for missing chances. We just looked slow and lacked penetration. Fulham defended well, but Ramsey and Arteta can't set anything up. It's all coming from the flanks. That was the story of yesterday's game. Also, the lack of cohesion between the middle three has been a problem all season. Theo and Gervinho were scoring goals before and now they are not.

Marc Overmars
27-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think it's fair to knock Ramsey for a lack of creativity or inventiveness.

Arteta doesn't provide a great deal going forward though I agree, maybe he's more suited to away games where we might be under the kosh and in need of a calming influence. At home against pub teams we shouldn't need that extra body in midfield, so maybe Rosicky should play instead, as he's more inclined to drive forward.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Not for this match thread. What's the point of talking about bringing on strikers when we were struggling to create chances? I'll admit, we need our other attackers to start chipping in on goals, but I've always said the midfield need to find their rhythm. That has been a problem all season as well. This wasn't game where you could say we were punished for missing chances. We just looked slow and lacked penetration. Fulham defended well, but Ramsey and Arteta can't set anything up. It's all coming from the flanks. That was the story of yesterday's game. Also, the lack of cohesion between the middle three has been a problem all season. Theo and Gervinho were scoring goals before and now they are not.

OK, I'll go along with that - though my recollection of Gerv scoring goals is hazy.

Own goal aside, who'd have thought that the one area we're reasonably content is in defense?

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I take that back. He's only scored 2 goals. I thought he's scored 4 like Theo.

@Marc - Ramsey is still raw but i think we have better options on the bench. If it's not Ramsey, then Arteya should make way for someone with more of an engine.

Power n Glory
27-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Also, the goal comes from Arteta losing the ball in the middle of the park. It wasn't a great performance from him. Ramsey will probably the player that makes way when Roscky is fit and when Wilshere is back.

IBK
27-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Some perspective needed, I think. Disappointing result but Fulham are nowhere near as bad as their league position suggests and I said last week that this could be tight. As it was they only got a point through a slice of luck and we showed maturity coming back into the game. The team was clearly jaded after a tough CL game midweek - and I blame that for the lack of tempo until near the end.

People can bemoan the lack of back up players but it's been a big task getting the first team up to speed - a number of our back ups need similar work and this isn't going to happen overnight.

For me the most galling thing is that Spurs aren't dropping points. But I think they will. There is still a long long way to go this season and dropping points yesterday hasn't made a great deal of difference to our chances of getting fourth place.

Lets hope for a more vibrant performance next time.

LDG
27-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Though full backs and CB's were all excellent yesterday. I didn't feel as though Fulham posed any threat, and only got there goal through a bit of bad luck really. Couln't blame verms for that. It happens.What was more worrying was the contest on midfield, where we lacked energy. Other than the lazy russian, they all worked hard, but it was all huff and no puff.Same could be said of RVP, who lacked any real support. Theo tried hard, but also found it tough, as we weren't getting the ball wide quick enough.We looked far better when Diaby came on, and i expect him to be more involved over the next few weeks. We could di with rosicky back too, as arteta, ramsey and to a lesser extent, song, need a break.Noy terrible, but unfortunately we've put ourselves in the position where any dropped points are damaging. We have no cushion or room for error. An active january window will be welcome.

gunsofashburtongrove
27-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Though full backs and CB's were all excellent yesterday. I didn't feel as though Fulham posed any threat, and only got there goal through a bit of bad luck really. Couln't blame verms for that. It happens.What was more worrying was the contest on midfield, where we lacked energy. Other than the lazy russian, they all worked hard, but it was all huff and no puff.Same could be said of RVP, who lacked any real support. Theo tried hard, but also found it tough, as we weren't getting the ball wide quick enough.We looked far better when Diaby came on, and i expect him to be more involved over the next few weeks. We could di with rosicky back too, as arteta, ramsey and to a lesser extent, song, need a break.Noy terrible, but unfortunately we've put ourselves in the position where any dropped points are damaging. We have no cushion or room for error. An active january window will be welcome.
Agree with most except that Vermaelen struggled with Zamora. The 2 fullbacks were the best players on the pitch.

Flavs
27-11-2011, 09:49 PM
we were crap, but we didnt lose so its ok :good:

Fist of Lehmann
28-11-2011, 11:05 AM
A peformance like this post-CL was entirely predictable. The BVB game was quick and strongly contested - draining both physically and mentally.

In the context of our season though I'm happy enough that Wenger went balls out to top our group, even if it meant accepting a draw thereafter.

None of the other English CL teams managed a win and draw, Chelsea lost and won, Utd drew and drew, City lost and drew.

We'll get a few draws this season, these things do happen.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Also, the goal comes from Arteta losing the ball in the middle of the park. It wasn't a great performance from him. Ramsey will probably the player that makes way when Roscky is fit and when Wilshere is back.

That seems to be a weakness of his, he has done that loads this season or giving away a silly FK to conceed a goal. He seems to be one player with pressure on him, unlike at Everton where he knew he could start here he knows he has to work for it.

Fist of Lehmann
28-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Weird. I have no such impression of him.

Can you give examples of these loads? Also, are there loads in comparison to his 2 midfield partners Ramsay and Song?

Olivier's xmas twist
28-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Weird. I have no such impression of him.

Can you give examples of these loads? Also, are there loads in comparison to his 2 midfield partners Ramsay and Song?

ok so maybe loads was a bit harsh, but he as done it a few times this season, whether it, be the silly FK giving away against sunderland for them to score their goal from the FK. he did it another couple of times but i can't remember the games.

He has lost the ball so many times, not that we have conceeded many when he has.

LDG
28-11-2011, 04:56 PM
ok so maybe loads was a bit harsh, but he as done it a few times this season, whether it, be the silly FK giving away against sunderland for them to score their goal from the FK. he did it another couple of times but i can't remember the games.

He has lost the ball so many times, not that we have conceeded many when he has.

So two.

How many times has Santos lost the ball.

Song?

Ramsey?

Theo?

Gervinho?

Koscielny?

Merts?

All of them have. You're just using knee-jerk because he lost the ball on Saturday.

TV5 was the one who put it in the net. And I'm not about to lynch him.

Kano
28-11-2011, 04:57 PM
much like song, who has developed it as a trademark for a few seasons now but he makes up for it in other areas, like arteta.

i think fulhams goal had far more to do with the team switching off and almost stopping play when arteta went down, than any lack of mikel retaining the ball

Olivier's xmas twist
28-11-2011, 04:58 PM
So two.

How many times has Santos lost the ball.

Song?

Ramsey?

Theo?

Gervinho?

Koscielny?

Merts?

All of them have. You're just using knee-jerk because he lost the ball on Saturday.TV5 was the one who put it in the net. And I'm not about to lynch him.

Did i say others did not loose the ball? of course he is not the only one in the team to do it neither was i saying he was.

LDG
28-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Did i say others did not loose the ball? of course he is not the only one in the team to do it neither was i saying he was.

You were quoting PnG, and bolded the bit about him losing the ball before the goal.

And as you were talking soley about him, it is quite a natural assumption to make.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-11-2011, 05:06 PM
You were quoting PnG, and bolded the bit about him losing the ball before the goal.

And as you were talking soley about him, it is quite a natural assumption to make.

Fair play, fair play.

Cripps_orig
28-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Havent seen anything of the match yet and cba going to get my Arsenal Membership card to log in to Arsenal Player so any links?

Just the goals will be fine. Couldnt care less about the rest

Master Splinter
28-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Havent seen anything of the match yet and cba going to get my Arsenal Membership card to log in to Arsenal Player so any links?

Just the goals will be fine. Couldnt care less about the rest

http://www.101greatgoals.com/live-video-updates-arsenal-v-fulham/116857/

Bookmark the site, it's useful.

Cripps_orig
28-11-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/live-video-updates-arsenal-v-fulham/116857/

Bookmark the site, it's useful.

:tiphat:

Just saw the goals. Comical defending from us again. Great cross from Theo for the goal though but as good as the cross was, what made the goal was Chamakhs dummy and leaving it to Verm to head in

Chamakh :bow: