User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: European Super League threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really think this is about the corruption allegations against FIFA, but that is being used as a convenient excuse for these clubs to do what they've always wanted: to remove the shackles of regulation and be free to run their own affairs completely. I don't have much faith in UEFA or FIFA, but the Super League would be a disaster for football. Now, Wenger and the board can drop the pretense that we're a football club and will be allowed to run the club purely as a private business, which will mean the fans getting even more shafted than normal. Moreover, the clubs not involved in this elite cartel will suffer if there is a breakaway, their diminishing revenues from TV Rights etc could irreversibly damage lesser clubs and the lower leagues as well.

Whatever you think of UEFA and FIFA (and my opinion of them is not high) we need these international institutions to govern football clubs who are owned by free market fundamentalists who have nothing but contempt for the fans, and are only interested in lining their pockets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free market fundamentalism ftw!!
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't really think this is about the corruption allegations against FIFA, but that is being used as a convenient excuse for these clubs to do what they've always wanted: to remove the shackles of regulation and be free to run their own affairs completely. I don't have much faith in UEFA or FIFA, but the Super League would be a disaster for football. Now, Wenger and the board can drop the pretense that we're a football club and will be allowed to run the club purely as a private business, which will mean the fans getting even more shafted than normal. Moreover, the clubs not involved in this elite cartel will suffer if there is a breakaway, their diminishing revenues from TV Rights etc could irreversibly damage lesser clubs and the lower leagues as well.

Whatever you think of UEFA and FIFA (and my opinion of them is not high) we need these international institutions to govern football clubs who are owned by free market fundamentalists who have nothing but contempt for the fans, and are only interested in lining their pockets.
    Kind of see what you mean tbh, this could be another way for the baord to make money without loosing face, they know we oculd stay in for a certain time without spending and it won't hurt us.

Could be interesting though not the worst thing to happen to footie tbh, id give that to making the Cl for the top 4 clubs that for me has runied footie in a way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football has already been ruined. So basically, like it or fuck off and watch something else, sad state of affairs as it is.

As a gooner, I'm stuck with it, so I'll follow 'em wherever they go.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the best news the sport has had in a while.

Inshallah this happens soon.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Football has already been ruined. So basically, like it or fuck off and watch something else, sad state of affairs as it is.

As a gooner, I'm stuck with it, so I'll follow 'em wherever they go.
    basically, yeah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will never happen as who the f*ck would be interested in watching it?

It's been threatened for ages it's just an empty threat by power hungry clubs, man how boring would that be having just one European competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    This will never happen as who the f*ck would be interested in watching it?

It's been threatened for ages it's just an empty threat by power hungry clubs, man how boring would that be having just one European competition.
    Well you'd still have the Champions League but just with out the quality teams in it, this wil just be a better league and it would make the other league's more faiiere if you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Gooner View Post
    Well you'd still have the Champions League but just with out the quality teams in it, this wil just be a better league and it would make the other league's more faiiere if you like.
    I agree, i find the discrepancy between the top teams and the others in each league too much as it is. I think this Super League would make things alot more fair and would make things alot more interesting.