User Tag List

Page 3112 of 3213 FirstFirst ... 2112261230123062310231103111311231133114312231623212 ... LastLast
Results 31,111 to 31,120 of 32125

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Yeah

I'm 30 this year so it'll become less of a worry with each passing year, but still good to have an out, just in case.
    You’re too young for this place, come back in another decade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Why would conscription become a consideration? (And I know even by writing this I risk a lecture that I’m not going to ever read by NQ)

The irony is this conflict in Ukraine has been prolonged by the unwillingness to direct military engagement, and let’s be fair most of us are even above the age where we’d be considered for enlistment to help in a war that was going really badly (the way the Russians are recruiting murderers in true Dirty Dozen style)

As for escalation into a nuclear conflict, the only people ultimately you should be afraid of having nuclear weapons are Islamic fundamentalist states like Saudi or Iran….because their belief system incorporates a large desire to bring about the end of the world.

For everyone else it’s a Pandora’s box full of too many variables to be worth the risk. Of course there’s the risk of miscalculation or even technological error.
    Like I say, it's unlikely.

But so are plane crashes, and they still have oxygen masks and lifejackets.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I say, it's unlikely.

But so are plane crashes, and they still have oxygen masks and lifejackets.
    Both of which are unlikely to be much help to you in the event of a plane crash (in terms of saving your life). And in the event of a nuclear exchange, an Aussie passport will be as much good to you as volcano insurance in the event of the Yellowstone caldera erupting.

And conscription apart from anything else has been long rendered obsolete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of which are unlikely to be much help to you in the event of a plane crash (in terms of saving your life). And in the event of a nuclear exchange, an Aussie passport will be as much good to you as volcano insurance in the event of the Yellowstone caldera erupting.

And conscription apart from anything else has been long rendered obsolete
    Oh yeah nuclear exchange means apocalypse, no doubt there.

But geopolitics isn't fully predictable, and obsolete things can return. Who knows, maybe Britain starts fighting some Russian proxy state. Maybe we get taken over by Farage and he turns us into a Russian proxy state that's suddenly fighting NATO. Or something else I can't think of.

There's like a 99.95% chance you're right and nothing will happen over here. I certainly hope you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah nuclear exchange means apocalypse, no doubt there.

But geopolitics isn't fully predictable, and obsolete things can return. Who knows, maybe Britain starts fighting some Russian proxy state. Maybe we get taken over by Farage and he turns us into a Russian proxy state that's suddenly fighting NATO. Or something else I can't think of.

There's like a 99.95% chance you're right and nothing will happen over here. I certainly hope you are.
    99.95% is a drastic over-estimate. That would make it a vague possibility. It’s more 99.999999999999999999999999999995%

That’s also about the same percentage chance of someone like Farage becoming prime minister.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99.95% is a drastic over-estimate. That would make it a vague possibility. It’s more 99.999999999999999999999999999995%

That’s also about the same percentage chance of someone like Farage becoming prime minister.
    Yup. I'd bet my house on it not happening.

Not my life though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. I'd bet my house on it not happening.

Not my life though.
    Yet you take far more substantial risks every day, touching surfaces risking life threatening bacteria, crossing the road risking being mown down by a drunk driver or someone breaking the speed limit (young father in his thirties was killed up the road from me on a zebra crossing no less).

Don’t get me wrong, dual passports can be very useful especially if you actually ever wanted to live in Australia (though for the life of me I don’t get why anyone would) but looking at it as insurance against risk of military conscription or annihilation is bit strange is all I’m saying.

Far more likely to die from flooding or out of control bush fires in Oz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet you take far more substantial risks every day, touching surfaces risking life threatening bacteria, crossing the road risking being mown down by a drunk driver or someone breaking the speed limit (young father in his thirties was killed up the road from me on a zebra crossing no less).

Don’t get me wrong, dual passports can be very useful especially if you actually ever wanted to live in Australia (though for the life of me I don’t get why anyone would) but looking at it as insurance against risk of military conscription or annihilation is bit strange is all I’m saying.

Far more likely to die from flooding or out of control bush fires in Oz
    Sure, and I'd always had it in my mind to get it one day in case I wanted to go there. We'd be more likely to go to NZ actually, as they have a similar arrangement to us and Ireland.

The invasion was just the moment I thought, "right, might as well be now".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Musk is such a bozo
    It’s amazing how he has completely destroyed a website that he spent 44 billion dollars on. This whole thing of making it open so people can have a platform to speak etc only works if you actually allow people to browse/read tweets rather than a limit of was it 600 a day?

Hes now threatening legal action against Meta over threads which so far does appear to be a copycat of twitter. The lawyers letter states Meta hired loads of ex twitter staff who konw all the secrets of twitter etc so meta shouldnt be using them.

Musk slightly undermines that argument with a tweet he made saying if those he sacked were such genius as claimed, they’d easily find other work. Looks like they did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish he'd spend his time visiting the Titanic or something.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.