User Tag List

Page 3136 of 3214 FirstFirst ... 213626363036308631263134313531363137313831463186 ... LastLast
Results 31,351 to 31,360 of 32136

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Nice try but you'd said he was the Brighton manager so the racist term was entirely superflous
    But given that I’ve suggested he would be a potential candidate to replace Captain Black at Arsenal, do you think me calling him a wop denotes that I consider him contemptuously or see him as inferior. So congratulations you’ve proved that the term was superfluous but in actuality nothing else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    But given that I’ve suggested he would be a potential candidate to replace Captain Black at Arsenal, do you think me calling him a wop denotes that I consider him contemptuously or see him as inferior. So congratulations you’ve proved that the term was superfluous but in actuality nothing else.
    The test would be whether you'd call De Zerbi (for it is he) a wop to his face - I think we all know you wouldn't which suggests you know it's offensive to the people about whom it is used and that's because it's racist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The test would be whether you'd call De Zerbi (for it is he) a wop to his face - I think we all know you wouldn't which suggests you know it's offensive to the people about whom it is used and that's because it's racist
    That’s far more to do with the emotional association we make with words, which is very irrational.

Like I say it’s about the difference between understanding what society deems offensive which is often arbitrary and accepting that it’s offensive (which I dispute, and even if it is so what? I’m offended by that should mean fuck all…it’s a form of emotional manipulation)

If I was in France and I was being referred to as Le Rosbif, I wouldn’t give a solitary fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s far more to do with the emotional association we make with words, which is very irrational.

Like I say it’s about the difference between understanding what society deems offensive which is often arbitrary and accepting that it’s offensive (which I dispute, and even if it is so what? I’m offended by that should mean fuck all…it’s a form of emotional manipulation)

If I was in France and I was being referred to as Le Rosbif, I wouldn’t give a solitary fuck.
    Again nice try but Rosbif is more a national stereotype and fairly innocuous whereas wop is racist and much more offensive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again nice try but Rosbif is more a national stereotype and fairly innocuous whereas wop is racist and much more offensive
    No it’s exactly the same. Wop is based on a national stereotype taken from the Latin word Guappa to swagger. The idea that Italians, men especially project outward confidence. But nice try to you, in your crusade to be offended by everything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it’s exactly the same. Wop is based on a national stereotype taken from the Latin word Guappa to swagger. The idea that Italians, men especially project outward confidence. But nice try to you, in your crusade to be offended by everything
    Ha Wikipedia to the rescue although even they describe it as a 'slur' meaning it's offensive

So it's still an offensive term which is worse than Rosbif and that's why you wouldn't say it to his face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Wikipedia to the rescue although even they describe it as a 'slur' meaning it's offensive

So it's still an offensive term which is worse than Rosbif and that's why you wouldn't say it to his face

No I knew that for years, I actually have some intellectual curiosity into etymology rather than simply accept words as verboten.

It’s no more a slur than Rosbifs is, it’s certainly not a complimentary term…anymore than Frog is (based on their gastronomic tastes)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the etymology (something I'm also interested in) actually matters. Words are offensive if enough people think they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't think the etymology (something I'm also interested in) actually matters. Words are offensive if enough people think they are.
    Read back that sentence out loud and you’ll get an idea of how ridiculous it sounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I knew that for years, I actually have some intellectual curiosity into etymology rather than simply accept words as verboten.

It’s no more a slur than Rosbifs is, it’s certainly not a complimentary term…anymore than Frog is (based on their gastronomic tastes)
    Well wikipedia describes it as a slur whereas it doesn't describe Rosbif as such