User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Man City vs Arsenal 26.04.2023 Match reaction and player ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think the general consensus here is that we absolutely should change things up, and get some playing time for those like Kiwior, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Jorginho and Trossard.

Next season we are going to need to rotate which means our squad needs games. And there are players whatever the view on how good they are who probably need to sit out a few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    One final point. If ever we wanted evidence last night as to why Citeh sold us Jesus and Zinchenko - it was there last night in neon lights. Its lamentable that these so-called 'winners' that were bought to take our team to the next level went hiding last night. The real question is not their talent (albeit that Jesus is showing that he is not a reliable goal scorer), but their mentality. And that is a worry for sure.
    I said that during the game about Pep, he sold us a couple of players he knew were flawed.

That said, I think Jesus was the single biggest reason we made such a good start to the season, he played with a lot of energy and positivity and the team reacted to it.

But he's starting to wear a bit thin now, partly of course because Arteta doesn't rotate him or anyone else if they're fit.

As for Zinchenko, I've tried to buy into this inverted LB stuff but:

a) it shouldn't be a tactic for every game againat every different side

b) Zinchenko is a little idiot who often gives the ball away, very rarely wins the ball and often slows our play down

C) Tierney shouldn't be made to play in that role, he should be allowed to play to his strengths

Overall I'd say that, because Zinchenko's presence has both encouraged Arteta to endlessly play that same dumb system and because he's not good enough, he's possibly our worst signing since Mustafi
    Last edited by Mac76; 27-04-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Toney didn’t have a ban looming I would definitely suggest trying to sign him. Watkins would also be a good alternative.

We need another source of goals up front. Jesus is a busy body and can make things happen around him but he’s rarely going to be the difference maker. Martinelli is our best forward because he’s a little more selfish and has a nastiness about him. We need a bit more of that from everyone.

Another striker in a different mould would also help change things up in a game when things aren’t working out. Something we lack the ability to do at the moment.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 27-04-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I said that during the game about Pep, he sold us a couple of players he knew were flawed.

That said, I think Jesus was the single biggest reason we made such a good start to the season, he played with a lot of energy and positivity and the team reacted to it.

But he's starting to wear a bit thin now, partly of course because Arteta doesn't rotate him or anyone else if they're fit.

As for Zinchenko, I've tried to buy into this inverted LB stuff but:

a) it shouldn't be a tactic for every game againat every different side

b) Zinchenko is a little idiot who often gives the ball away, very rarely wins the ball and often slows our play down

Overall I'd say that, both because his presence has encouraged Arteta to endlessly play that same dumb system and because he's not good enough, he's possibly our worst signing since Mustafi
    I’d argue that Mustafi wasn’t even our worst signing that summer given how we’ve persisted with Xhaka

Mustafi was an interesting one. The guy was a ticking time bomb of excrement…you could play him for a few games and get reasonable solid defensive performances out of him, and then boom and the team are covered in faeces.

But he wasn’t someone who we persisted with, Arteta for all his flaws got rid quite quickly

Zinchenko is fine against certain teams but should never have been our first choice left back and when we signed him I never assumed he would be

I’ve said for ages he’s the equivalent of a left field IPA, a footballer for hipsters

Jesus? Totally anonymous yesterday and I think it’s not unfair to point out that his overall goal contribution even given his injury has been modest to put it generously. I think we need a Giroud type player in the squad to mix it up a bit….I’m still of the view that, that Serbian maniac Mitrovic would be an excellent signing.

But I still like him, he causes defenders to poo themselves but we need someone who gives us more options such as set pieces etc (how many headed goals have we scored this season for instance?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    If Toney didn’t have a ban looming I would definitely suggest trying to sign him. Watkins would also be a good alternative.

We need another source of goals up front. Jesus is a busy body and can make things happen around him but he’s rarely going to be the difference maker. Martinelli is our best forward because he’s a little more selfish and has a nastiness about him. We need a bit more of that from everyone.

Another striker in a different mould would also help change things up in a game when things aren’t working out. Something we lack the ability to do at the moment.
    Toney would be decent, but Ollie Watkins is too similar to what we already have. If we want a striker like that…why not just keep Balogun

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    . And we all know how they got there. Fuck them.
    Well yes, that goes without saying tbh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Amazing reading some of the posts on here and other places.

Partey is taking plenty of criticism, and rightly so, as he's been below his usual standard for a while but not one person has mentioned the complete disappearance of Xhaka.

He touched the ball twice, I think in the first half. I've had a wee look for actual stats on this but no joy. I'm happy to be corrected but won't be far off. For a CM that is unforgivable. His first, and literally only meaningful, touch came on the 47th minute with a poor shot. The next time he was involved was an altercation with Haaland. He was then taken off.

I'm all for attributing responsibility (blame) to players like Partey but where's the balance here? I've highlighted the nonsensical standards players are held to on here before but I genuinely think Xhaka's performance last night was the worst I've ever seen from him. And, as we all know, that's a huge claim about someone who has been putting in woeful performances for the best part of a decade.

Partey was exposed badly last night. Let's call it out. But we need to also call out the mitigating circumstances. He was a lone midfielder against a team with 4 CMs, ffs.
    Agree with the (slight) mitigation for Partey in general because (as you point out) he is expected to do the job of 2 players in MF and also (I think) being asked to try to protect Holding. That said he not Holdingwas at fault for their first goal and generally seemed incapable of tracking back all night.

But I think it's also unfair to single out Xhaka. Your criticism is true for all of our 'forward' players. City stifled all service beyond the half way line, and not a single one of our players performed well last night. Like many others, Xhaka is a cog in a machine that was working well until a few matches ago. Our dire performance last night was not down to any single player - it was a collective scared performance where as a team we showed no confidence whatsoever and were beaten before Citeh kicked a ball.

I agree with you emphatically that some of our back up players like Trossard, Jorginho and Nelson deserve to be given starts. They out-performed our so-called first teamers when they came on. I feel sorry also for Nketiah. I was wondering what our win percentage is since the WC with him playing and when Jesus has and (while I am ready to stand corrected), it would not surprise me if it's better with Eddie. Jesus for me is emblematic of Arteta's rigid mindset. The manager has failed to change a system to which Jesus is considered integral, and in the limited opportunities he has had recently, Eddie is expected to be like for like - which he simply isn't. I would like Eddie to be given a chance as starter in a system tewaked to play to his strengths as a box finisher. But no - Jesus plays - more for his supposed 'win at all costs' mentality than his striking ability, and this hasn;t worked recently.

The best teams evolve and their managers (including Pep) take risks in trying something new to keep the opposition on their toes. Yet again, lately we have become predictable, too relient on players whose form is low or who have simply been run into the ground and are on fumes. You don't improve confidence by playing a ludicrously high line when your CB who has done most to allow this previously is out, and your LB is not a LB. You create instablity and panic - and this has affected our whole team.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this consensus sickens me

I think the one area we have consensus around is that of all the players that deserves a start it is Reiss Nelson. Never rated him personally, felt he wasn’t strong enough physically but honestly don’t think that’s a problem now. This is a player who for me has tried everything to merit being selected, absolutely fantastic impact substitute and hungry as hell.

Wasn’t particularly fussed if we kept him or not, but now I’m going to put my hands up and say Mac76 was right….I think it’s important we keep him. I don’t see him as necessarily someone who will always start games but I certainly wouldn’t be worried to see him in the starting line up whoever we were playing and I think it will be good for Saka to have that competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Agree with the (slight) mitigation for Partey in general because (as you point out) he is expected to do the job of 2 players in MF and also (I think) being asked to try to protect Holding. That said he not Holdingwas at fault for their first goal and generally seemed incapable of tracking back all night.

But I think it's also unfair to single out Xhaka. Your criticism is true for all of our 'forward' players. City stifled all service beyond the half way line, and not a single one of our players performed well last night. Like many others, Xhaka is a cog in a machine that was working well until a few matches ago. Our dire performance last night was not down to any single player - it was a collective scared performance where as a team we showed no confidence whatsoever and were beaten before Citeh kicked a ball.

I agree with you emphatically that some of our back up players like Trossard, Jorginho and Nelson deserve to be given starts. They out-performed our so-called first teamers when they came on. I feel sorry also for Nketiah. I was wondering what our win percentage is since the WC with him playing and when Jesus has and (while I am ready to stand corrected), it would not surprise me if it's better with Eddie. Jesus for me is emblematic of Arteta's rigid mindset. The manager has failed to change a system to which Jesus is considered integral, and in the limited opportunities he has had recently, Eddie is expected to be like for like - which he simply isn't. I would like Eddie to be given a chance as starter in a system tewaked to play to his strengths as a box finisher. But no - Jesus plays - more for his supposed 'win at all costs' mentality than his striking ability, and this hasn;t worked recently.

The best teams evolve and their managers (including Pep) take risks in trying something new to keep the opposition on their toes. Yet again, lately we have become predictable, too relient on players whose form is low or who have simply been run into the ground and are on fumes. You don't improve confidence by playing a ludicrously high line when your CB who has done most to allow this previously is out, and your LB is not a LB. You create instablity and panic - and this has affected our whole team.
    Aye, solid points, man. I think Xhaka deserves extra criticism though. He's a CM, not an attacker, so the isolation/lack of service doesn't cut it for me. I'm not being hyperbolic, that is the single worst performance I've seen from Xhaka. Even when playing poorly a CM can put a foot in or summin and for all the criticism of Partey, he did that at least, with a number of tackles and fouls.

Completely agree on Jesus. I just don't see it. Clearly talented but I don't see how he improves this team/system. Apparently he wanted to be a striker at city. Well why the fuck is he never in the box? Probably because he knows how poor his finishing is. I'd happily see him out on RW and a more typical striker in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

Toney would be great, man. I still like Vlahovic though. Not sure how realistic he is but apparently not been great at Juve. He can be a real focal point type striker, the type others can really play off. That's the type of striker I'd like. We have enough mobility around him...but that's personal preference. Bare minimum is someone I think will take a chance...and I never think Jesus will do that, tbh.

I'd sell one or both of Balagun and Nketiah, if there's offers there. Harsh on Balagun but he's not a player we'd go out and buy, imo.