Page 696 of 707 FirstFirst ... 196596646686694695696697698706 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,960 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    There would have to be some very compelling data for anyone to listen if they tried that again.
    I’m not convinced they were needed really. Or if they were, they were implemented too late and with too many exceptions to be effective.
    What?

So you're not convinced the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of civil liberties was required?

That's good. Me either.

But you WOULD Have been convinced if the authoritarianism was ramped up and rolled out sooner?

What?

Just for shit and giggles, can you do a quick scan of authoritative media and let me know what they think about the latest CDC data that informs us more vaccinated idiots are dying from Covid than sane people. That's compelling in its own way. What have you been told to think about that?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    #theCurrentThing

They blow with the wind and the wind is coming straight out of the arseholes of those who increasingly direct every aspect of their ex-lives.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't watch the film. But nice to see I still can if I want to. I get to choose. Something the neos can't abide.

Did you see the champions of liberty want to ban Twatter from the App Monopoly? That alone tells you everything about where we are. Agree with the zombies and every door is open. Deviate by 1 degree and you are gone.

Censorship never won. It's like holding back the sea with a few sandbags and a bucket. YouTube is dead but doesn't know it yet.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    What?

So you're not convinced the destruction of the economy and the evisceration of civil liberties was required?

That's good. Me either.

But you WOULD Have been convinced if the authoritarianism was ramped up and rolled out sooner?

What?
    I continue to believe this was a situation which required a response. That belief is based on looking at the excess death stats and my conversation with an ICU doctor which I have relayed on here multiple times. From those two things it seems clear to me that this wasn't just a normal flu - the data tells me that, someone I know who was working on the front line tells me that. But did it require lockdowns, was that the right response?
    Well, many countries thought so. Some, like Australia and China, went completely mental and locked down hard. Others, like Brazil, took more of a "la la la not happening" approach. I would note that Australia's deaths/million stats are much better than Brazil's. You might say I'm cherry picking, which would be fair. I honestly don't know if there's a clear correlation between "hardness" of lockdown and death stats. But this is all complicated by lots of other differences between countries - age profile of the population, population density, maturity of the health services, vaccine rollouts. Then there's cultural differences which might make some populations more compliant and willing to follow restrictions. This is complicated, there will be shelves of books written about this, there will be years and years of crunching data and analysing what happened and, hopefully, learning lessons. Sceptical about the last of those things, working in the Public Sector we often have "lessons learned" sessions and rarely actually learn any.

But one other difference is when lockdowns were implemented. Australia were locking down hard the minute someone coughed. Over here it seemed that Boris was keen to go down the herd immunity route, then realised that things were getting out of hand so locked down but my view is it was too late by then and there were too many exceptions. And, as you noted, a lot of people weren't complying. It was the worst of both worlds, it hammered the economy, it hit everyone's mental hearth and I'm not sure it was that effective in reducing deaths. I don't have a super strong feeling about this but my gut feeling is a hard, early lockdown would have been more effective and wouldn't have had to last as long.

Just for shit and giggles, can you do a quick scan of authoritative media and let me know what they think about the latest CDC data that informs us more vaccinated idiots are dying from Covid than sane people. That's compelling in its own way.
    To be honest, I've long since stopped looking at Covid data. But given that pretty much all the old and vulnerable people have been vaccinated, and most of the unvaccinated are young, healthy people. It's not a huge revelation that more of the former would die from Covid than the latter. TL;DR, you are not comparing two equivalent populations. But if there's any specific data I can look at then feel free to provide a link.
    I don't know what the media are saying about it, if anything. Or is that your point? I mean just generally Covid seems to have fallen off the front pages. That's what happens with an ongoing situation, particularly when the worst is over as it seems to be with Covid.

What have you been told to think about that?
    You do this sort of thing quite a lot. You did it recently with the stuff going on at Twitter with Musk.
    The media aren't telling me what to think, they're just reporting what's happening. I draw my own conclusions.
    We all have biases which affect what we think about things of course, you coming to a different opinion about things to you doesn't make you the "independent thinker".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile the

Safe
    The Office of National Statistics said it had registered 17,381 deaths in England and Wales in the week ended Friday, January 13. That figure is about 20 percent more than the five-year average - and 30 percent more than longer-term averages - for the year’s second week.
    Only about 650 of the deaths had Covid as an underlying cause, the government said, so most of the excess was not related to Covid.
    The British data confirms recent trends all over Western Europe, including the Netherlands and Switzerland.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

and

Effective
    The British government had data in October showing nearly identical rates of Covid hospitalizations in vaccinated and unvaccinated people during the summer 2022 Omicron wave.
    In some age and risk groups, vaccinated people had higher rates of hospitalization than the unjabbed. For example, healthy 40 to 49-year-olds were more likely to be hospitalized with severe Covid if they had received one or two jabs than none.
    The government quietly released the figures today, in an appendix to a report from its advisory committee on vaccinations.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ember-2022.pdf

vaccine is to be pulled for the under 50s in the UK https://dailysceptic.org/2023/01/25/...for-under-50s/

Basically saying it's not safe without saying it's not safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Effective
    Why did you leave out this bit?

Note that the [hospitalisation rates] are crude rates by age and vaccination status and should not be compared with one another to infer vaccine effectiveness. Rates will be affected by previous infections and other differences between groups. For example, those unvaccinated are likely to have had higher prior infection rates than those vaccinated which can reduce recent incidence in this group
    Dude, your cherry picking does you no favours. Vaccinated and unvaccinated are not identical populations, you have to be careful when comparing them.

vaccine is to be pulled for the under 50s in the UK
    Basically saying it's not safe without saying it's not safe.
    Absolutely not what it's saying. The headline is misleading

five to 49 year-olds who are a clinical risk group, live with an immunosuppressed person or are carers have also been offered a booster
    So it's like the flu vaccine, they're offering it to oldiewonks AND to younger people who are at risk. You also missed out this bit:

The U.K. will continue to offer the first two doses to over-16s.
    So...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.