User Tag List

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger being sanctimonious again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    passing comment on something or someone else doesn't distract you from the task at hand, it's not like he was asked to write a white paper on the subject and present it to the industry.
    Yeah come on this isn't a one off, he's constantly doing this and answering supposed questions.

Personally don't think he's focussed enough on the job he needs to be doing, which is managing players, not player negotiations/other clubs finances/disciplinary records etc....

From his comments about us and what we do and don't need, seems to me he's not been watching or focussing on his own team/squad anywhere near enough. The lack of signings when pre-season has already started is just another indicator.

To other clubs he's probably like that irritating neighbour that sticks his nose in where it's not wanted (and when it doesn't directly involve him), the guy who complains about everything, sure he might have a point occasionally but not all the time.
    Last edited by Özim; 14-07-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Yeah come on this isn't a one off, he's constantly doing this and answering supposed questions.

Personally don't think he's focussed enough on the job he needs to be doing, which is managing players, not player negotiations/other clubs finances/disciplinary records etc....

From his comments about us and what we do and don't need, seems to me he's not been watching or focussing on his own team/squad anywhere near enough. The lack of signings when pre-season has already started is just another indicator.

To other clubs he's probably like that irritating neighbour that sticks his nose in where it's not wanted (and when it doesn't directly involve him), the guy who complains about everything, sure he might have a point occasionally but not all the time.
    so what if he passes comments. he's at a press conference most likely, a position where comment is meant to be passed, so how is that distraction. it's not like he's in the middle of a phone call to an agent and he hangs up to sit down with a journo. it's lunacy to say it takes up a disproportionate amount of his time.

there is no way you can suggest that talking is a distraction from other duties. i think every single person at the club would state he is one of the hardest working guys there, if not THE hardest.

and who cares what other clubs think? people can pass comment on us, as he can on them, there are no restrictions and until there are, then there is no need to stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    so what if he passes comments. he's at a press conference most likely, a position where comment is meant to be passed, so how is that distraction. it's not like he's in the middle of a phone call to an agent and he hangs up to sit down with a journo. it's lunacy to say it takes up a disproportionate amount of his time.

there is no way you can suggest that talking is a distraction from other duties. i think every single person at the club would state he is one of the hardest working guys there, if not THE hardest.

and who cares what other clubs think? people can pass comment on us, as he can on them, there are no restrictions and until there are, then there is no need to stop.
    Too focussed on other clubs and external factors IMO, where are the changes to the personnel we needed, where are the defensive coaches we needed?

He's got himself convinced the group of players he has (many of whom want to leave) is good enough and thus doesn't seem to bothered about it.

Does he work hard, probably yes (but who wouldn't for 6 million a year?), is he doing as good a job as he can....no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure thats another thread.

i'm sure you agree then that making a comment at a press conference or in passing to a journalist isn't a distraction from his official day to day duties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAF, Mourinho, even AVB have made comments about arsenal in response to reporter questions. Seems you can only speak your mind when you have something bad to say about Wenger.

Press conferences believe it or not are part of his job. And like it or not, some of the things he says about the game are 100% spot on. If your just sick and tired of listening to his voice then fuck off. No ones forcing you to listen and read his comments.

Care to elaborate on how exactly city's sponsor falls short of that? Or is that just another newspaper hyperbole you have copied and posted.
    Your like some deranged religious nut or some mental global warming denier, forever shifting the burden of proof, forever clinging on to the vast global conspiracy, unable to back down, concede or accept that your world view may be flawed. What's the point elaborating? I COULD go through the 91 page rule document and highlight the rule and a few others they may be breaking for you, but then you'd just say i'm interpretati it wrong or some other sort of bullshit.

More annoying still, your purporting something some sort of equivalence between City's ability to, *as if by magic* acquiring BY FAR THE LARGEST SPONSORSHIP DEAL IN WORLD SPORT, with something Arsenal, or any other club does all the time. There is no equivalence, the mansour (sp) family have used a entity they own to inject funds into the club. Depending on the details, this could probably have inland revenue implications tbh.

But what grates the most is that your defending City, the bastion of a model I ironically suggest we should adopt, and which you ignorantly suggest we don't need; only because you hate the manager. If you had any integrity or intelligence, you'd understand just how destructive this type of cash injection could be under the frame work of the FFP. If we intend to continue a competitive sustainable model and you'd be just as pissed off as wenger is.
    Last edited by AKBapologist; 14-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    SAF, Mourinho, even AVB have made comments about arsenal in response to reporter questions. Seems you can only speak your mind when you have something bad to say about Wenger.

Press conferences believe it or not are part of his job. And like it or not, some of the things he says about the game are 100% spot on. If your just sick and tired of listening to his voice then fuck off. No ones forcing you to listen and read his comments.

Your like some deranged religious nut or some mental global warming denier, forever shifting the burden of proof, forever clinging on to the vast global conspiracy, unable to back down, concede or accept that your world view may be flawed. What's the point elaborating? I COULD go through the 91 page rule document and highlight the rule and a few others they may be breaking for you, but then you'd just say i'm interpretati it wrong or some other sort of bullshit.

More annoying still, your purporting something some sort of equivalence between City's ability to, *as if by magic* acquiring BY FAR THE LARGEST SPONSORSHIP DEAL IN WORLD SPORT, with something Arsenal, or any other club does all the time. There is no equivalence, the mansour (sp) family have used a entity they own to inject funds into the club. Depending on the details, this could probably have inland revenue implications tbh.

But what grates the most is that your defending City, the bastion of a model I ironically suggest we should adopt, and which you ignorantly suggest we don't need; only because you hate the manager. If you had any integrity or intelligence, you'd understand just how destructive this type of cash injection could be under the frame work of the FFP. If we intend to continue a competitive sustainable model and you'd be just as pissed off as wenger is.
    Deleted
    Last edited by Xhaka Can’t; 14-07-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Abusive post.
    ‘Arsene was very cautious and David was very ambitious for the club,’ said former director Keith Edelman, managing director at the time. ‘He was very good at getting Arsene into a position where he was comfortable spending money.’

The board have said if wenger identifies a player he really wants and he needs the money it's there. Wenger doesn't think it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budesonide View Post

i wonder why i bother
    So do I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budesonide View Post
    good
    post jsao

I still maintain all of this to be knee-jerk reaction. Reality is kicking in for most.
    As I see it, this isn't a debate about 'reality'. We can all see the reality of destructive financial doping. Its a debate about whether it should be allowed to run unrestricted through the game.

And that isn't even an argument about legality - for the purposes of what we are debating, legality is irrelevant. I am sure that the deal's been done with legal advice - and that there are legal aruments that will probably end up sanctioning this 'deal'. But that too is irrelevant.

No - it is a matter of principle. You say effectively that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But as Terry(?) says if you take this line, then basically nobody could ever make a negative comment about anyone else. its a bit ridiculous.

Sure Citeh might be described as only the latest incarnation of a trend that's existed in football for a long time - but that doesn;t exonerate them. What people are objecting to is that Mansour and Co have now taken pure financial doping to an extreme level. One that is unprecedented in terms of the damage it wreaks elsewhere.

You want to defend that? Well you are entitled to do so, but I would suggest that you are no real lover of the game.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Berg Kamping View Post
    As I see it, this isn't a debate about 'reality'. We can all see the reality of destructive financial doping. Its a debate about whether it should be allowed to run unrestricted through the game.

And that isn't even an argument about legality - for the purposes of what we are debating, legality is irrelevant. I am sure that the deal's been done with legal advice - and that there are legal aruments that will probably end up sanctioning this 'deal'. But that too is irrelevant.

No - it is a matter of principle. You say effectively that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But as Terry(?) says if you take this line, then basically nobody could ever make a negative comment about anyone else. its a bit ridiculous.

Sure Citeh might be described as only the latest incarnation of a trend that's existed in football for a long time - but that doesn;t exonerate them. What people are objecting to is that Mansour and Co have now taken pure financial doping to an extreme level. One that is unprecedented in terms of the damage it wreaks elsewhere.

You want to defend that? Well you are entitled to do so, but I would suggest that you are no real lover of the game.

I am not defending city. What I have been arguing is that the reaction to their deal is knee-jerk and not grounded in any objective reality. Total over-reaction.

I love the game -- and as I have said time and time again in this thread, the game is headed in a purely commercial direction. Wenger is a strong proponent of the fact that clubs should be run as a sensible business venture -- but business nonetheless. He sees AFC as a business -- and we are running a business model of our choosing.

What City are doing is basically employing a cheeky pure business strategy. And until we know the full details of it no one has the moral right to castigate them for some arbitrary flouting of contraventions.

Where does one draw the line? That is my point?

The FFP rules is actually quite a stupid idea, frankly,in my opinion. Idealistic but impractical.
    ‘Arsene was very cautious and David was very ambitious for the club,’ said former director Keith Edelman, managing director at the time. ‘He was very good at getting Arsene into a position where he was comfortable spending money.’

The board have said if wenger identifies a player he really wants and he needs the money it's there. Wenger doesn't think it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What City are doing is basically employing a cheeky pure business strategy.
    How old are you?