User Tag List

Page 92 of 143 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly can’t take anything for granted but you’d have to say if England don’t make the final now it would be seen as a huge missed opportunity. An opportunity that may not come again for a very long time. We’re the best team left on this side of the draw so these fuckers better make the most of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Certainly can’t take anything for granted but you’d have to say if England don’t make the final now it would be seen as a huge missed opportunity. An opportunity that may not come again for a very long time. We’re the best team left on this side of the draw so these fuckers better make the most of it.
    We could be the best team if Southgate would dump all the spuds players and be a bit braver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The things you people concern yourself with. It's almost cute.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You spent years frothing at the mouth about Wenger
    Was that super important?

It's a diversion from the real world. And (for now), a bit of feelgood factor which is much needed over the last 18 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You spent years frothing at the mouth about Wenger
    Was that super important?

It's a diversion from the real world. And (for now), a bit of feelgood factor which is much needed over the last 18 months.
    I'm not sure you have noticed. In fact I'm confident you haven't.

But the world has changed.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has, but it's a (IMO) temporary change. Of course the pandemic brings a bit of perspective, and I'm as jaded by club football as anyone, but this is a much needed diversion from it all and actually I've quite enjoyed the tournament. Not really enjoying watching England - it's much like watching Arsenal, dull but effective at times. But there's been some great games and with the crowds back it's a little sign that things are getting better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has, but it's a (IMO) temporary change. Of course the pandemic brings a bit of perspective, and I'm as jaded by club football as anyone, but this is a much needed diversion from it all and actually I've quite enjoyed the tournament. Not really enjoying watching England - it's much like watching Arsenal, dull but effective at times. But there's been some great games and with the crowds back it's a little sign that things are getting better.
    Wrong. But you'll only see it once it is done.

Maybe.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Wrong. But you'll only see it once it is done.

Maybe.
    We'll see, but I'd remind you about some of your predictions about curfews and checkpoints.
    Look, I think they government have made a hash of this (apart from the vaccine rollout), but the restrictions imposed have consistently correlated with the Covid data. Unless you're talking about something else than the restrictions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see, but I'd remind you about some of your predictions about curfews and checkpoints.
    Look, I think they government have made a hash of this (apart from the vaccine rollout), but the restrictions imposed have consistently correlated with the Covid data. Unless you're talking about something else than the restrictions?
    You need fascism to be stomping in the street in jackboots and dragging jews off to camps before you will call it fascism. You need authoritarianism to be Joe Stalin and knocks on the door at midnight before you'll call it authoritarianism. This conditioning won't allow you to see how restrictions on movement, restrictions on protest and gatherings and more subtle and divisive state propaganda designed to pit one group against another is precisely what I knew was in the works. Because history. The signals are always the same. Over a year down the road and people are still talking about going back to "normal". That will never happen until the majority of people make it happen - using force btw, because that's the only meaningful interaction authoritarians pay heed to. This is all inevitable now. A week, a month, a year, a decade, there's only one course of action remaining if the majority actually wants to live in freedom, peace and with dignity intact.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    You need fascism to be stomping in the street in jackboots and dragging jews off to camps before you will call it fascism.
    Well, I think it should be something which affects my life, or other people's.
    Now of course the last year has affected all of our lives, but there has been a "situation". You can argue about whether the response has been correct - I think we broadly agree it hasn't. But it's difficult to sensibly argue that no response was required. As I've said, the response and the restrictions have varied as the data has, right now pretty much everything is open. Some restrictions remain but it's clear the direction of travel is towards "normality".

But I do agree that some of the restrictions imposed on protests are worrying, although it hasn't stopped people protesting so maybe that's not as draconian as it sounds.