User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly are we expecting to happen this Summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly are we expecting to happen this Summer?

I've been reading all the posts speculating on comings and goings at AFC, and the players that we have been linked with. I know the transfer window hasn't opened yet; that AFC rarely does its business in public and that we will never know where we are headed for sure.

But for a number of reasons - the manager's cautiousness/stubbornness; the board's conservatism when it comes to spending; the inevitable focus on keeping the likes of cesc/Nasri, and the fact that we have no guaranteed participation in the CL next season - and are undeniably a waning force on the world stage - I have serious misgivings about whether the business we do this Summer is going to amount to a tangible step forwards for our club.

My reasoning? First, even if we sell some of the deadwood, I do not feel that the 'core' of our first team amounts to a title winning side. We can say that it looked like one in February 2011 - but subsequent events belied this. We have 2, maybe 3 'world class' players to twice that many playing for our main rivals. And these rivals will strengthen.

Second - whoever we buy will almost certainly not fall into that class of 'oven ready' world class talent. Whatever the lessons from last season, our manager is too deeply wedded to his developmental ideals, and I cannot believe that he has lost faith with the likes of Song; Djourou; Sczesny; Arshavin; Chamakh...even if he has finally lost patience with some of his more conspicuous under-performers. These factors point to decent, solid, rather than real seasoned talent coming in.

Lastly, I do not think that we will enjoy the kind of marquee signing that IMHO the club desperately needs to shake off the negativity that has developed amongst fans, and clearly amongst our players - in order for next season to represent a proper fresh start. We have debated endlessly the players lack of confidence/character that has led to serial collapes. I feel that these are times where the team needs a real; psychological lift - that will only really be provided by a 'marquee' signing - something to give the players and fans real excitement and belief.

For me, it is worth 'breaking the bank' and paying, what, £4/5M over the odds for a proven 'name' even if this is mainly to try to show that Arsenal remains a confident, 'top class' club. Because we have been starved of this type of signing for years now (owing to a variety of factors) - and the fact that we have lost the winning habit also during this time has dented our standing and confidence badly.

The fact that this will almost certainly not happen suggests to me that the best we are going to see is a bit of pruning/renewal that might help stop the rot, but will stilll amount to just another stage in the end game of AW's regime.

Thoughts?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in response to the thread title as i cant be arsed reading all that

I expect nothing but media bullshit till next friday when i expect at his press conmference Winger to announce 3 new signings and express his sadness that at least 4 are going "but the time is right and we wish them well" i would also expect him to announce a new staff member and his aims for the season and to announce that both Nasri and Cesc are staying

After that i would expect more media bullshit and maybe one more top class signing and then we will go off to the land of love you long time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchinello Beezo View Post
    in response to the thread title as i cant be arsed reading all that

I expect nothing but media bullshit till next friday when i expect at his press conmference Winger to announce 3 new signings and express his sadness that at least 4 are going "but the time is right and we wish them well" i would also expect him to announce a new staff member and his aims for the season and to announce that both Nasri and Cesc are staying

After that i would expect more media bullshit and maybe one more top class signing and then we will go off to the land of love you long time
    I think that is more or less spot on - with the new signings being at the Gervinho level or below - Cesc continuing to be ambivalent on the pitch - Nasri doing a mini Adebayor (whether or not he signs a new deal - and the noises are that he won't - and we'll just run down his contract) - leading to another top four but no better finish next season that might be something of an achievement given the strengthening of our rivals, but will still amount to little more than keeping the bed warm for AW's successor.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    I think that is more or less spot on - with the new signings being at the Gervinho level or below - Cesc continuing to be ambivalent on the pitch - Nasri doing a mini Adebayor (whether or not he signs a new deal - and the noises are that he won't - and we'll just run down his contract) - leading to another top four but no better finish next season that might be something of an achievement given the strengthening of our rivals, but will still amount to little more than keeping the bed warm for AW's successor.
    Jesus wept

Oh i also "think" we will switch to playing 3-5-2 or at least 4-4-2 and have 2 out and out strikers, if it works Winger will claim he has been readying the team for this all along. Like when he says playing Diaby and Walcott out wide is "to improve their decision making for long term success"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as an aside, i dont think its too much of a stretch that we have signed Benzema or someone of equal shock value either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchinello Beezo View Post
    as an aside, i dont think its too much of a stretch that we have signed Benzema or someone of equal shock value either.
    Falcao

That was the catalyst for Andre Aston Villa leaving Porto. He was disgusted that they sold his star player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Falcao

That was the catalyst for Andre Aston Villa leaving Porto. He was disgusted that they sold his star player.
    yes they sold him to Chavski, where Los Lobos is going

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although I know who I would prefer could another striker heading to the Chavs

clear the way for a Drogba signing becoming a reality.......?

or does a huge STOP sign get created by Drogba's wages demands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squabbling over a few mill per usual for our actual targets whilst throwing darts around a room and looking at what sticks. I've more or less given up hope of this window leaving us better off and the most depressing aspect of it all is that it's clear that it's more than just the manager failing the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see another summer of broken promises, with Wenger resorting to searching in the bargain basement for players, rather than going for experienced, quality footballers who can come into the side straight away. Even some of the players we are being linked with (Gervinho for example) don't set the pulses racing, and aren't the type of signings which IMO will propel us up the table. Moreover, I see Wenger waiting too long, trying to get the price down as much as possible, and probably leaving it too late meaning we end up with few of our target signings (like what almost happened with Arshavin)