User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News Of The World No More

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News Of The World No More

Sunday's NOTW will be the last one ever.

News of the World to close amid hacking scandal

This Sunday's issue of the News of the World will be the last edition of the paper, News International chairman James Murdoch has said.

In the past few days, claims have been made that the paper authorised hacking into the mobile phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, the families of 7/7 bombing victims and bereaved military families.

Sky News said proceeds from the paper's last edition would be given to good causes.

In a statement made to staff, Mr Murdoch said the good things the News of the World does "have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong - indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our company".

"The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself."

He went on: "In 2006, the police focused their investigations on two men. Both went to jail. But the News of the World and News International failed to get to the bottom of repeated wrongdoing that occurred without conscience or legitimate purpose.

"Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued.

"As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter.

"We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences. This was not the only fault.

"The paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. This was wrong."

"The company paid out-of-court settlements approved by me. I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret."

He reiterated that the company was fully co-operating with the two ongoing police investigations.

Labour MP Tom Watson told Sky News it was "a victory for decent people up and down the land, and I say good riddance to the News of the World".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

etc.

168 years of quality journalism

I suspect it will return as Bulletins Of The Universe in a few months though.
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 07-07-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are suggestions that the Sun staff have been told to prepare for a 7-day operation. I'm sure there are at least a few innocent staff members at the NOTW, and they'll lose their jobs due to the mistakes of others, while Rebekah Brooks gets to keep her job, as will many of the others at News International.

And this is just a token gesture as you say, obviously Cameron and Hunt will now say action has been taken and the BSkyB takeover will eventually happen. Murdoch has basically streamlined his operation and saved cash. He's not gonna close down a paper which made £800m just last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    revenue from last editon to go to good causes........cant see much coming from that

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sun on Sunday.

Nothing will change.

Murdoch is and will remain untouchable.
    Last edited by Shaqiri Is Boss; 07-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGog Is Going View Post
    The Sun on Sunday.

Nothing will change.

Murdoch is and will remain untouchable.
    See the 'Stupid Right Wing Press' thread.

@Mods - maybe merge these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Help For Heroes hadn't pulled out, then I reckon NOTW would still be walking. Not even they - after all the "WE BACK OUR BOYS!" crap - could go on after that. Nobody should see this though as Murdoch having a sudden attack of the morals. All eyes on Hunt now...

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince Cable was right after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Vince Cable was right after all.
    Still waiting for him to exercise his "nuclear option"...

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't on QT tonight is he? I'd imagine he would start with a maniacal laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    He isn't on QT tonight is he? I'd imagine he would start with a maniacal laugh.
    Williams is the Lib Dem (SDP ) representative. John Gaunt as well, that should be fun.