Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good Are We?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Good Are We?

I can never decide how good we are.

For all the "we're shit" rhetoric on here the fact is we're still probably, at worst, one of the best 6 teams in the country and we've got into the last 16 of the CL for the bazillionth year in a row. Even now we're clearly not that bad a side. Not so great compared with the Invincibles, obviously, but I don't think any team in the country is at that level right now, that really was an exceptional side.

The Swansea game rather summed it up. First half we huffed and puffed and outplayed Swansea without ever looking like we knew how to break them down. Dull and uninspiring. Second half we were loads better, looked dangerous and but for some rather inept finishing would have been out of sight before Jack won it.

So...how good are we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you said, a good top six side but frustratingly always those few steps away from being excellent because of the various issues we have all spoken about for eternity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are the mean of all our performances combined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Top six? Quite remarkable for a club of our stature I must admit.

Anyway, at least we're not relegation threatened - another astounding feat considering our resources and the Norwichs, Swanseas, Scrotes, et al we have to compete with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshGooner View Post
    Anyone who is a grown up will know that's a lot higher than a 'club of our stature' have been for much of our history...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Anyone who is a grown up will know that's a lot higher than a 'club of our stature' have been for much of our history...
    Fortunately I'm extremely childish.

We are shit.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Wenger's poorest ever team, which is to be expected as it's continually shorn of star quality over the years. There aren't many matchwinners and you can expect the team to have more huff and puff games as we go on. But it's the ability of the manager to cope skilfully with those departures that has sustained our position over the years. Much better than the competitors anyway. Getting back to the top will need that investment in better players to match up those in Manchester.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshGooner View Post

Anyway, at least we're not relegation threatened - another astounding feat considering our resources and the Norwichs, Swanseas, Scrotes, et al we have to compete with.
    can you stop crying just for one second.

no one (yet) has marked that down as an 'achievement' or stated how proud we are that we can now only be rated as that. the OP asked 'how good do you think we are', as in, where do we stand in terms of ability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bendtner View Post
    It's Wenger's poorest ever team, which is to be expected as it's continually shorn of star quality over the years. There aren't many matchwinners and you can expect the team to have more huff and puff games as we go on. But it's the ability of the manager to cope skilfully with those departures that has sustained our position over the years. Much better than the competitors anyway. Getting back to the top will need that investment in better players to match up those in Manchester.
    I don't think we're a million miles away. This team + RvP would probably be challenging.
    We do need some investment but we don't need 10 new players, 2 or 3 in key areas would do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Grown up is so over-rated, tbh. Imagine it entails having to be aware that we've been shit for a very long time.

I'll remain 12, thanks.