User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is meeting people online that weird?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is meeting people online that weird?

was having this chat with my parents and they think i am wierd cos i use twitter, this etc to converse with people and say that people online are strange and you shouldnt talk to them but go out and meet people instead.

now by going out, i asked well if someone goes out, gets drunk, meets and shags a girl that night and then keeps in contact and it goes further, isnt that still wierd? how is talking to someone online, getting to know them a bit before agreeing a meet up and seeing where that goes?

to me the first bit seems more strange as with the second one, you at least know people a little before you meet them. i've met a few of my twitter followers and become good friends with them yet people think i am wierd because of that yet meeting people on a night out is normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    was having this chat with my parents and they think i am wierd cos i use twitter, .

Yeah twitter is weird Skype would be normal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really.

Met loads of people from on here, and it's actually more healthy than going out and meeting people.

In the real world, you tend only to associate with those of similar age / outlook etc.

Would never have spoken to some of the people on here if I'd met them out in town. Not through any hang up I have, just you tend to fall into different groups in the real world.

In actual fact, a few of the people I've met on here have become some of my best friends. If it hadn't been for this place, I'd never have met them, and that would be rather a sad situation.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never met anyone online before, I think that first greeting would just be a bit weird because I'd find it difficult to link the online persona to the actual person.

Wouldn't mind having a beer with some on here though in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Never met anyone online before, I think that first greeting would just be a bit weird because I'd find it difficult to link the online persona to the actual person.

Wouldn't mind having a beer with some on here though in the future.
    That's what I thought. But it's actually quite exciting.

And within 5 minutes you're banging away (stop it) about The Arsenal etc.

Love meeting new people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think that it is weird. Through this site and another Arsenal one, I have friends across the world. I regularly talk to people who live in Thailand, Dubai, South Africa, U.S., Australia, as well as Britain. When I go back to Britain for my sister's wedding next year, I hope to be able to fit in a game and a visit with a bunch of people I would have never known without the internet.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I do not think that it is weird. Through this site and another Arsenal one, I have friends across the world. I regularly talk to people who live in Thailand, Dubai, South Africa, U.S., Australia, as well as Britain. When I go back to Britain for my sister's wedding next year, I hope to be able to fit in a game and a visit with a bunch of people I would have never known without the internet.
    You're not meeting up with us. Don't think you're our sort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What LDG says, some of the guys i have met from here have been closer to what i would call a "friend" than anyone I could stumble across at work or while out and about. As you say you can pre-filter people as you know what they are all about (If they are genuine on here)

You should meet Obi, top bloke but scary fookin eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    You're not meeting up with us. Don't think you're our sort
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, seriously man, once the new season gets under way, look out for the meet-ups thread, and come have a beer when you're over.

Talking of which....summer piss-up anyone??