User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Graham says we'll be dropping out of the top four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George Graham says we'll be dropping out of the top four.

George Graham believes that Arsenal may have to end up fighting to remain in the top six, let alone the top four in the years to come.

The Gunners finished fourth in the Premier League last season, and now have to play a qualifier to make their way to the group stages of the Champions League.

And the former boss believes that the lack of silverware, rigid wage structure and the considerably less spending on big players means that the north London outfit could struggle to keep up with the rest of the pack in the coming years.

"The simple fact is that Arsenal could well be facing, in the next few years, the prospect of a battle to stay in the top six rather than the top four finish that Arsene has brought them – against the financial odds – every year," Graham said, according to The Mirror.

"To compete for the title this year is going to be a huge task.

"You look at what Manchester United and Manchester City have spent already and what Chelsea are capable of spending.

"There is the prospect that Arsenal could be in the same kind of bracket as Everton and Aston Villa.

"The best players will naturally congregate at the most successful clubs. That is just common sense.

"And those clubs will pay wages that Arsenal cannot match and pay fees that Arsenal cannot lay out."

However, Graham insists that this is not a reflection on current boss Arsene Wenger, who he holds in high regard.

"Don’t get me wrong, I think that Arsene has done a fantastic job at the club.

"If you look at the money he has spent and the money he has re-couped in his time as manager, his achievements have been little short of remarkable.

"But the whole financial scene has changed now. He used to basically have the French market to himself because of his knowledge and contacts. He hasn’t now. Other clubs have caught up.

"And there are three clubs now who can pay high fees and high wages – higher fees and higher wages than Arsenal. That restricts him.

"He has still managed to keep the club in the Champions League places every year and that is some record.

"But when it comes to finance the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City now have more cash at their disposal and when it comes to fees and wages, Arsene – and Arsenal – cannot compete. That is the reality."
    what does he know eh, didnt some one tell him that we've got loads of money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we don't use the next month productively in terms of transfers, then there's every chance we'll drop out of the top 4. As it currently stands, I would agree that we're the team most likely to lose our UCL qualification spot, because while teams around us have strengthened considerably, we've only signed Jenkinson and Gervinho, who may well turn out to be good players, but we need more than that to improve on our shambolic end to last season. Moreover, I do think we have enough money to make the necessary purchases to improve the squad. No one's asking Wenger to spend Ł100M on Messi, and deciding to spend a few more million than currently being offered for players like Cahill will hardly bankrupt us will it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger being complacent again so he could be right (but out of the top 4 rather than top 6). After last season's shambolic 2nd half of the season you'd have expected a normal person to realise changes are needed, but as usual he does next to nothing in the transfer market.

It's quite something being so stubborn.
    Last edited by Özim; 24-07-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I think Wenger needs to get off his arse and bring in a few quality players, that article is complete horseshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no.

People predict this every season and are always wrong, there simply aren't 4 teams better than us so we have to be favourites to land at least a top 4 spot, I know there's no god given right yadda yadda yadda but it's more likely we'll finish 4 and up rather than below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    Well, no.

People predict this every season and are always wrong, there simply aren't 4 teams better than us so we have to be favourites to land at least a top 4 spot, I know there's no god given right yadda yadda yadda but it's more likely we'll finish 4 and up rather than below.
    TBH i think its a real possibilty us dropping out if AW and the board don't sort out what is needed. tbh i think the top 3 players are or at least 2 are sown up with the mancs and the chavs.

It will be between us and pool maybe spuds who gets that 4th spot tbh.

But us finishing outside the top six is total rubbish. even by Graham's standard
    Last edited by Olivier's xmas twist; 24-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, finishing 4th ftw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite happy for us to be underestimated. Of course we need to strengthen, but that's to keep up with Utd and Chelsea, don't think we can honestly keep up with city and their money over the next few years.Yes it'll be very çompetetive' but we're not shit, and we're better than spuds, villa, everton etc by a fucking absolute mile. We'll be there or thereabouts next season. But I'd like Wenger to push the boat out to see if we can have a run at the league again, and go for a cup.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look like Wenger is going to correct the problems that desperately need to be corrected. Whether this is wilful neglect or a constraint placed on him by the unimaginably greedy, anti-football cunts in the boardroom we don't know. So not much will change and judging by how meekly we threw away 2nd and then 3rd spot last year I can see us throwing away 4th to Liverpool. I predict 5th or 6th depending on how well the spuds do (they will decide the order not us as we already know our lot will collapse should it be close). I think we'll still have just about enough to handle Villa and Everton, again provided we have opened up enough of a lead on them by the final third of the season.

Of course if Wenger bought the defenders we need plus got rid of that cunt Chamakh and brought in a proper striker - then I'd tip us for a title challenge.
    Für eure Sicherheit