User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City's Owners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City's Owners

City's owners get a lot of stick from a lot of people. I think some of it is down to the fact that they're from the Middle East and there's a bit of latent racism there (not on this messageboard though), and there's also a lot of populism surrounding their takeover and the actions they have taken.

If you examine their record, they've actually been quite sensible in their ownership. They gave Mark Hughes a lot of time to get things right, and only after failing to convince that he was the right manager did they sack him. Moreover, they've retained Gary Cook as Chief Exec and Brian Marwood as Football Adminstration Officer, making use of their local knowledge having accepted that there are many things about English football that they don't understand yet.

Yes, they've spent a lot of money, and they've ruffled a few feathers with some of their transfer dealings (i.e. Lescott) but which club hasn't? Transfers don't always go through smoothly, and some of them go through after a lot of acrimony (you only need to look at Arsenal)

Furthermore, they are working hard to improve the local area around the stadium, building new schools and trying to regenerate a quite deprived area. You could say this is just a PR stunt, but all the information coming out suggests the owners have a real commitment to the club and the local area, understanding that the club is not just a business but a social institution that means a lot to people.

I think sometimes we're too quick to jump down the City owners' throats, thinking of them as some tinpot Arab Charlatan when their actions suggest they're anything but. Moreover, they actually seem to care about football and success on the pitch, rather than simply using City as a vehicle for a vanity project and to line their pockets with gold. Can you honestly say you get the same impression with our owners? Do you really think our owners put the welfare of the fans and sucess on the pitch ahead of seeing a good return on their investment?
    Last edited by Joker; 23-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes me LOL when people say City are showing ambition.
    It's not 'ambitious' to spend half a billion to try and buy success. Doing things the hard way is ambitious (maybe even impossible in the modern football world).

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Latent racism'? Have a word pal.
    They're getting the same amount of stick Chelsea got and Blackburn had before them. I don't see the msame 'latent racism' levelled at the Venkys, they're just called clueless.
    Theyt have their way of doing things and others have theirs.
    Formerly rockyrocky... the other one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    City's owners get a lot of stick from a lot of people. I think some of it is down to the fact that they're from the Middle East and there's a bit of latent racism there (not on this messageboard though), and there's also a lot of populism surrounding their takeover and the actions they have taken.

If you examine their record, they've actually been quite sensible in their ownership. They gave Mark Hughes a lot of time to get things right, and only after failing to convince that he was the right manager did they sack him. Moreover, they've retained Gary Cook as Chief Exec and Brian Marwood as Football Adminstration Officer, making use of their local knowledge having accepted that there are many things about English football that they don't understand yet.

Yes, they've spent a lot of money, and they've ruffled a few feathers with some of their transfer dealings (i.e. Lescott) but which club hasn't? Transfers don't always go through smoothly, and some of them go through after a lot of acrimony (you only need to look at Arsenal)

Furthermore, they are working hard to improve the local area around the stadium, building new schools and trying to regenerate a quite deprived area. You could say this is just a PR stunt, but all the information coming out suggests the owners have a real commitment to the club and the local area, understanding that the club is not just a business but a social institution that means a lot to people.

I think sometimes we're too quick to jump down the City owners' throats, thinking of them as some tinpot Arab Charlatan when their actions suggest they're anything but. Moreover, they actually seem to care about football and success on the pitch, rather than simply using City as a vehicle for a vanity project and to line their pockets with gold. Can you honestly say you get the same impression with our owners? Do you really think our owners put the welfare of the fans and sucess on the pitch ahead of seeing a good return on their investment?
    *note to self, look up the word "comparing" in the dictionary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah the good old lazy racist accusation eh?

how very fucking boring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    ah the good old lazy racist accusation eh?

how very fucking boring
    I didn't mean this messageboard, I meant in general. And perhaps racism is the wrong word, xenophobia would be more appropriate. Mike Ashley's been a dreadful owner for Newcastle United, and while their supporters have vented their fury at his incompetence and lack of investment into the club, how many column inches have been devoted to him and the negative effect he's had at Newcastle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They love football, it's akin to one of us buying a football club and playing FM, they're probably not in it for the money and they're helping ruin a game that was already heading down the wrong path but can't see where the hate comes from as we'd all do the same if we had the chance.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean this messageboard, I meant in general. And perhaps racism is the wrong word, xenophobia would be more appropriate. Mike Ashley's been a dreadful owner for Newcastle United, and while their supporters have vented their fury at his incompetence and lack of investment into the club, how many column inches have been devoted to him and the negative effect he's had at Newcastle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before they got relegated? absolutely loads. what is more sexy for the media, a 'big' club once again falling on its arse heading into the championship or a multi billionaire family, pissing off their manc neighbours and throwing money around like they print it themselves?

they've absolutely bloated the market and their 'team' is just a real life Football Manager project, i wont bother going into some boring comparison with our 'self sustaining model' but i would want nothing to do with a team spending like that. i would literally stop supporting arsenal if it turned out like city, completely artificial football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    signing players then holding them ransom and not letting them leave

making a farce of the financial fair play

sacking mark hughes when he was on course to make top 4

yeah, model owners