User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America in disgrace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

America in disgrace

.. and not just about their stance on the Palestinians' efforts in the UN....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860
    Death row inmate Troy Davis has been executed in the US state of Georgia for the fatal shooting of policeman Mark MacPhail in 1989.

Davis' death was delayed for hours while the US Supreme Court considered an eleventh-hour appeal for clemency.

The 42-year-old's case was heavily disputed after most of the witnesses recanted or changed their testimony.
    Various quotes from the public at the end of the article - here are a couple..

From what I have read of the evidence or rather lack of it and speaking as a UK police officer you wouldn't have got a conviction for a minor motoring offence with that much doubt in the Uk let alone a murder conviction with the death penalty.
    I support the death penaly as a form of punishment, but cases like this show that as a human race we cannot be trusted to use it.

This is murder by the US. There was too much doubt to ever put this man to death, and to tell him he "couldn't prove his innocence" is one of the most dangerous statements ever made by a law maker.
    I can understand the family of the policeman wanting vengeance, but I fail to see how that can be satisfied by executing the wrong man.

Still, I suppose if he is black, then they don't feel the need to worry about it as he presumably looked like the guy that did, as do the other millions of blacks in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparently 7/9 witnesses changed their statements to say he didnt do it and they still excecuted him. what a joke

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SHould have got Clint Eastwood on the case tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    SHould have got Clint Eastwood on the case tbh

Clint
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out of order? You're out of order! This whole court's out of order!
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    America is like 50 countries bound together, but each state has a good degree of independence on many key matters. It's just as easy to say Georgia is in disgrace because this would never have happened in New York. At least the yanks go through the whole pretence of the court process, over here if we want someone out of the way we just chase them into the tube station and shoot them in the head ten times. UK in disgrace? Nothing new there.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    America is like 50 countries bound together, but each state has a good degree of independence on many key matters. It's just as easy to say Georgia is in disgrace because this would never have happened in New York. At least the yanks go through the whole pretence of the court process, over here if we want someone out of the way we just chase them into the tube station and shoot them in the head ten times. UK in disgrace? Nothing new there.
    That's a gross exaggeration. He was only shot in the head 5 times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    That's a gross exaggeration. He was only shot in the head 5 times.
    It was 10 in the end. The story changed from 5 to 8 to 10 as the facts became know (that is, as the police lies were knocked down). He was also shot after he was restrained, as clear a case of cold-blooded murder as you'll ever hear about, all the coppers walked free. We have nothing with which to beat Americans, we are already so low we could not reach anyway.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It was 10 in the end. The story changed from 5 to 8 to 10 as the facts became know (that is, as the police lies were knocked down). He was also shot after he was restrained, as clear a case of cold-blooded murder as you'll ever hear about, all the coppers walked free. We have nothing with which to beat Americans, we are already so low we could not reach anyway.
    I was kidding. However you are right about cover-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    I was kidding. However you are right about cover-up.
    I knew you were but one should never let the opportunity to rant about politics and establishment corruption slip past.
    Für eure Sicherheit