User Tag List

Page 3203 of 3222 FirstFirst ... 22032703310331533193320132023203320432053213 ... LastLast
Results 32,021 to 32,030 of 32216

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

  1. #32021
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38,520
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you think I found MrsL?

  2. #32022
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Where do you think I found MrsL?
    Take it she doesn't requent this board?

  3. #32023
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    6,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Where do you think I found MrsL?
    May she never find this thread

  4. #32024
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38,520
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, although we did meet online it was on a site for God-botherers, not hideous trolls.


  5. #32025
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    6,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    For the record, although we did meet online it was on a site for God-botherers, not hideous trolls.

    A distinction without a difference

    Getting onto Religion, the Christian social conservatives are blaming secularism for woke.


    Problem is woke is a nebulous term and although does have a clear and distinct meaning, it often means whatever one wants it to mean

    Plus a lot of the stated objectives of woke - dealing with injustice, being kind to your fellow man (or non binary individual) ar Christian tenets. The argument seems to be that without fire and brimstone, people have lost their moral bearings.


    It also uses secularism as an interchangeable with Atheism. I would imagine most Christians want to live in a secular society where religion is not enforced by the state and that faith is a private matter.

    Plus I think what we call Christian culture is still enduring, just not the faith mechanism that goes with it.


    I don’t want to replace one crazed millenarian ideology with another. Let people believe or not believe what they want

  6. #32026
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38,520
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I really understand what it means. I looked up a definition and that didn't make it much clearer to me.
    If woke means consideration and empathy for others' feelings then I'm in.
    But that can be conflict with other people's feelings. Trans women want to be allowed in women's bathrooms. Some actual women don't want that as it makes them feel unsafe. So then what do you do? Have a 3rd option? Or gender neutral ones (we have those at work, it's all individual cubicles which seems reasonable enough).

    There's a line between representation and pandering/box-ticking. A lot of advertising and TV feels like the latter.
    There's a cast of 5, say, and one of them has to be gay. Because of course 20% of people are.

  7. #32027
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    6,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand what it means. I looked up a definition and that didn't make it much clearer to me.
    If woke means consideration and empathy for others' feelings then I'm in.
    But that can be conflict with other people's feelings. Trans women want to be allowed in women's bathrooms. Some actual women don't want that as it makes them feel unsafe. So then what do you do? Have a 3rd option? Or gender neutral ones (we have those at work, it's all individual cubicles which seems reasonable enough).

    There's a line between representation and pandering/box-ticking. A lot of advertising and TV feels like the latter.
    There's a cast of 5, say, and one of them has to be gay. Because of course 20% of people are.

    It’s largely about shoehorning things that might apply in America to other countries in the Anglosphere


    Historically it’s not been peachy for Afro-Carribean people in the uk. IBK has recounted his own personal experience of racial abuse and being made to feel inferior by dickhead bullies. It’s not really something we’ve ever encountered but it’s not the same as in America.

    The problem is it denies that any progress has been made since emancipation. It treats black people in the most appallingly patronising way and it encourages white people to feel guilty for no reason. There seems to be something positive about being marginalised that people want to claim the mantle.

    I don’t feel marginalised or privileged. I think we’ve become obsessed with identity when it’s superficial and not that interesting, and it’s economic background rather than race which is a far larger determinant of how far you get in life.


    I don’t feel guilty for what I am or what I think. But neither do I feel resentful against another group of people.

    People adopted woke attitudes because they didn’t do the cost/benefit thinking, they went ahead and assumed it was kind.


    The trans debate as you say is the perfect example of how if you give rights to certain people you risk taking them away from others. That and it’s clearly open to abuse from the worst kind of people


    It overlaps with Islam in that way, the more freedom we give for religious expression the more we end up ceding our own rights to something which is deeply illiberal. Despite my banter, I leave Christianity alone because I don’t feel Christians presently trample on my right to free expression, but some of them are clearly itching for that opportunity in the name of anti woke.

  8. #32028
    Member WMUG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weirdest aspect of the whole US centrism thing was the George Floyd murder kicking off protests in the UK. Like, if you want to protest racism in the British police that's perfectly legitimate, but why was an American getting killed the spark for it? We're rioting on the streets here to protest racism over there? Or using a figurehead over there to rally against racism that occurs here?

    It just seemed odd to me.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

  9. #32029
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38,520
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #32030
    Member Mac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    She's quite tasty tbf

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •