User Tag List

Page 359 of 435 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 4348

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Indiana Jones is a woman as well.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to think of it, we don't have any female mods.

GW.

Awful sexists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have any females at all any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you just assume my gender??????
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Oh FFS

That really upsets you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say it "really" upsets me.
    But it's all a bit silly.

The reaction to the criticism of the Dr Who casting is mostly
    "Sexist! Can't you handle the idea of a female lead in a sci-fi series. I bet you think women shouldn't have the vote either" or "Why is the Doctor changing genders unrealistic when they time travel and fight aliens".
    NewsThump have been pushing both agendas. Tiresome.

There is nothing sexist about thinking a male actor should be cast in a male role and a female actor in a female role.
    As for realism, of course everything about Dr Who is unrealistic but again, it misses the point. A friend posted something to me about this on FB, the start of the article he posted was:

After fifty years of ambiguity, what is perhaps Doctor Who’s most controversial question has been not only answered, but tackled full on. Ever since William Hartnell became Patrick Troughton, people have been speculating, campaigning, and bickering over whether or not our John Smith could ever become Jane Smith
    But that's bullshit. No they haven't. The Doctor is male. There has NEVER been any ambiguity about that, never speculation about whether the next doctor would be female. Well, not till recently. Not till the squeal of political correctness got so loud that they had to do this. People saying "it's fiction, get over it!" are also missing the point. Yes, it's fiction but fiction should still have its own internal, consistent logic.

Had the character been established from the start as one which could change gender then it would be different, and actually that would arguably make it a more interesting character. But he hasn't, and that's why this smacks of political correctness and tokenism and it's that which rankles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't accept the latest views, just remember this, you are a stupid fucking racist, sexist white male.

Personally I have found myself being a stupid fucking racist, sexist white male on several occasions. Not because I don't want to believe, but because I can't keep up. If it wasn't for GW I'd still be sitting here thinking there were only two genders.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sexist! Can't you handle the idea of a female lead in a sci-fi series. I bet you think women shouldn't have the vote either" or "Why is the Doctor changing genders unrealistic when they time travel and fight aliens".

There is nothing sexist about thinking a male actor should be cast in a male role and a female actor in a female role.
    As for realism, of course everything about Dr Who is unrealistic but again, it misses the point. A friend posted something to me about this on FB, the start of the article he posted was:

But that's bullshit. No they haven't. The Doctor is male. There has NEVER been any ambiguity about that, never speculation about whether the next doctor would be female. Well, not till recently. Not till the squeal of political correctness got so loud that they had to do this. People saying "it's fiction, get over it!" are also missing the point. Yes, it's fiction but fiction should still have its own internal, consistent logic.

Had the character been established from the start as one which could change gender then it would be different, and actually that would arguably make it a more interesting character. But he hasn't, and that's why this smacks of political correctness and tokenism and it's that which rankles.
    Think back to discussion about being bored with all the superhero movies. How many times can they tell the same stories from the same perspective? How many of the movies we’ve seen star the same white male protagonist? Is that partly the reason why it gets so boring?

My guess it’s the same issue with Dr. Who. I’d say they’ve got the creative licences to change the race and gender of the character because they’ve been working off this reincarnation concept for ages.

But as said before, this sort of thing has been going on for ages but it’s in reverse where producers have chosen a white actor over another ethnicity. When groups have tried to speak up about it, they’re often been shouted down or ignored. If we are to believe there is an agenda in the media today with the ‘tokenism’, would be fair to say there has been an agenda against marginalised groups when it comes to representation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my Grade 6 Easter Play, Jesus was a chick.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    If you don't accept the latest views, just remember this, you are a stupid fucking racist, sexist white male.

Personally I have found myself being a stupid fucking racist, sexist white male on several occasions. Not because I don't want to believe, but because I can't keep up. If it wasn't for GW I'd still be sitting here thinking there were only two genders.
    You MONSTER!
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.