User Tag List

Page 231 of 235 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2349

Thread: Winter Transfer Despair and Bafflement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Wasted a big chunk of it on Lacazette too, if current rumour and speculation is to be believed. That claim we signed Laca instead of Auba because we were penny pinching - if that's true and we have ended up with both anyway, dear oh dear. That would be mismanagement on an epic scale.
    Was thinking the same, there really doesn’t appear to be much strategy in place, it’s all so reactive and done on a whim. Now we have both strikers worth over 100m, someone’s nose is going to be put out of joint.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Do you believe that?
    I don’t know what you’re asking

Are you asking me if Ornstein has just made that up?

Like I say I’m sure there is money to spend and actually it probably makes sense that probably after he’s badly spent so much of it that the club is probably more inclined to be parsimonious than the manager.

Wenger has been reluctant to spend at times because he is a natural prevaricater, is obssessed with getting value because he thinks like an economics graduate (which he is) and doesn’t want to upset members of the squad he likes.

But let’s be fair, a lot of the money he has spent has been wasted. So the club might think, do we really want him spending more than necessary. I know Wenger has a lot of control but I don’t think it extends to setting his own transfer budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    I don’t know what you’re asking

Are you asking me if Ornstein has just made that up?

Like I say I’m sure there is money to spend and actually it probably makes sense that probably after he’s badly spent so much of it that the club is probably more inclined to be parsimonious than the manager.

Wenger has been reluctant to spend at times because he is a natural prevaricater, is obssessed with getting value because he thinks like an economics graduate (which he is) and doesn’t want to upset members of the squad he likes.

But let’s be fair, a lot of the money he has spent has been wasted. So the club might think, do we really want him spending more than necessary. I know Wenger has a lot of control but I don’t think it extends to setting his own transfer budget
    I didn't ask if Ornstein made it up but you've answered the question and must know it’s ridiculous to believe it's Wenger the one wanting to spend.

PR games. Wenger has contacts. The club has contacts. I don't know which side of the fence Ornstein is on, but I know the fans are being fed bullshit.

HCZ
    I don’t think Wenger is especially bothered I certainly don’t think it’s a source of tension between him and the club

All I’m saying is that if the club was purely spinning for Wenger, wouldn’t he also just say there is no money?

It’s quite possible Wenger is briefing against the club, they’ve done it to him in the past

Ornstein I doubt is on any side, he just reports what he’s told. In fact the only time he has even ventured an opinion is about the debacle of August

My own opinion is that there is money, we don’t have a Scrooge McDuck vault that the board take turns in swimming around in. But irregardless Wenger is given a set transfer budget to work with, now in the past had Wenger wanted he could have made a plea to the club to use that but he chose not to. And now I think it unlikely the club would give it to him if he did ask.
    Last edited by HCZ; 02-02-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sven had to convince Wenger to sign Aubameyang. It was Ivan and Sven out in Dortmund getting the deal done. But we're supposed to believe Wenger wanted Aubameyang all along but it was the club pushing for Lacazette?

I don't believe these supposed murmurs behind the scenes of Wenger being denied. Whenever Wenger has a press conference, how he chooses to speak of teams that spend lots of money suggest he thinks of it as an unfair advantage. Also, from his own mouth, he said he'd have the final say and that Gazidis has nothing to do with transfers. Obvious bullshit. I really have no idea what's going on but we've got too many people trying to feed the fans their version of events with a spin.

HCZ
    I don’t disagree.

All I’m going by is what Ornstein has stated which you jumped on, I’m speculating as to the reasons why. What I’m saying is the money was in the budget to sign Aubemeyang, but the club spent ages trying to offer less than what Dortmund wanted for the player and it’s the club that told Ornstein that there was no money for the transfer fee and wages to make another significant signing.

What I’m saying is that it’s possible that Wenger has claimed there is money to spend to contradict the board to suggest that it’s not his fault that things are going so badly, I’ve not stated for a second that Wenger is more willing to spend the money.

And the club may possibly be claiming that there is no money because it doesn’t want to break its own structure to prop up a manager they know is failing.

It’s as you say PR and bullshit, what I can gleam is that there more money than the club is willing to spend but it’s certainly not in the United/City brackets.

And to pre empt a response I’m not saying you are either

HCZ
    Also I’d remind you that you dismissed out of hand that anyone but Wenger was involved in our January transfer dealings.

As I said at the times the sale of Walcott and Coquelin were dithering free, and it seems clear that the wage bill was being freed up.

Was what happened all planned for at the start of the window? No. But opportunities were taken when they arose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t disagree.

All I’m going by is what Ornstein has stated which you jumped on, I’m speculating as to the reasons why. What I’m saying is the money was in the budget to sign Aubemeyang, but the club spent ages trying to offer less than what Dortmund wanted for the player and it’s the club that told Ornstein that there was no money for the transfer fee and wages to make another significant signing.

What I’m saying is that it’s possible that Wenger has claimed there is money to spend to contradict the board to suggest that it’s not his fault that things are going so badly, I’ve not stated for a second that Wenger is more willing to spend the money.

And the club may possibly be claiming that there is no money because it doesn’t want to break its own structure to prop up a manager they know is failing.

It’s as you say PR and bullshit, what I can gleam is that there more money than the club is willing to spend but it’s certainly not in the United/City brackets.

And to pre empt a response I’m not saying you are either
    It's not the Ornstein post that bothers me. I jumped from the exchange you had with Cripps which sounds as if you were saying we needed to sell in order to buy.

We have about 180million in cash reserve but no business is ever going to blow its entire cash reserve

Plus unless we clear the wage bill first, that money has to be used towards wages as well

Plus there is the signing on fee and agents fees....the actual transfer fee to buy a player out of his contract is often the tip of an iceberg.

I would say if we clear out more of the shit in the summer off the wage bill and maybe get some transfer fees for some of them, we can spend most of that amount and still strengthen the squad quite a bit.
    We shouldn't have to dip into our cash reserves since the stadium pays for itself and we're able to generate so much from sponsors. That's the part of the narrative I'm not buying into and that's when you brought up Ornstein.

We'll see what happens with this supposed power struggle. All will be revealed at some point. I don't think it's a case of the club not allowing Wenger to spend because they've lost faith in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I’d remind you that you dismissed out of hand that anyone but Wenger was involved in our January transfer dealings.

As I said at the times the sale of Walcott and Coquelin were dithering free, and it seems clear that the wage bill was being freed up.

Was what happened all planned for at the start of the window? No. But opportunities were taken when they arose
    I said there was no evidence of anyone else being involved with the sales of Coquelin and Walcott. Sven is a scout. He has a connection with Dortmund so it makes sense for him to be involved with that transfer. The Greek kid could have also been someone he's had an eye on and recommended or backed as a good signing. That's work already done.

I don't think our scout has looked through our finances and picked out players that we should sell. There were murmurs of a clear out during the summer before these appointments and it started with Gabriel, Gibbs, Perez and we've been looking to offload Debuchy for ages, Chambers was also meant to go too. The process started before these arrivals.

I also said I'm not jumping to any conclusions without further evidence. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest that someone new has come in and told Wenger who needs to be sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Was thinking the same, there really doesn’t appear to be much strategy in place, it’s all so reactive and done on a whim. Now we have both strikers worth over 100m, someone’s nose is going to be put out of joint.
    I just remembered we bought Perez last year. Of course there was no plan.