User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Koscielny refuses the US tour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t actually believe we will be doing much (significant) business anyway. We can’t afford anyone decent for a start, then you’ve got the added handicap of rival clubs being more attractive at the moment as well.

I reckon this year could just be about pressing the reset button, taking stock and hopefully having a new platform to build from next year with a lighter wage bill and added commercial income.

If we’re going to spend what we do have, I hope it is all invested in young players.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 12-07-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news is that Utd still have OGS has manager and the Chavs are going to feel the loss of Hazard when they have to rely on Giroud to replace him for goals.

Three clubs in a mess, all vying for one spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Good news is that Utd still have OGS has manager and the Chavs are going to feel the loss of Hazard when they have to rely on Giroud to replace him for goals.

that is a good point - 3 clubs all with issues doesn't mean we aren't out of a top 4 place. although I don't feel Emery has it in him to when it really counts to make the team step up.

I would actually though add Leicester to that as an outside who could potentially mix it with the top 6. they have some really good young players and also seem to be able to keep hold of mcguire and chilwell for now.

I would let Kos go even for free. free up wages and it is a sad state where a 34yo defender with a poor recent injury record is so vital to the defence.

If we can really do a £60m type deal then scrap the Zaha one and spend it all on the defence, let the youngsters fill the gaps in the attacking positions. Why have a youth set up if you don't use it ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    that is a good point - 3 clubs all with issues doesn't mean we aren't out of a top 4 place. although I don't feel Emery has it in him to when it really counts to make the team step up.

I would actually though add Leicester to that as an outside who could potentially mix it with the top 6. they have some really good young players and also seem to be able to keep hold of mcguire and chilwell for now.

I would let Kos go even for free. free up wages and it is a sad state where a 34yo defender with a poor recent injury record is so vital to the defence.

If we can really do a £60m type deal then scrap the Zaha one and spend it all on the defence, let the youngsters fill the gaps in the attacking positions. Why have a youth set up if you don't use it ever.
    I think he did well enough to get us back in the mix largely using the same squad as the season before, when we were way off. He needs some backing this summer and if so we have as good as chance as Utd/Chavs at getting top four. I don’t believe the effort for Zaha was real and if it was, we won’t go higher than we have as Palace want a large chunk of it upfront.

The gap between 6th and those down to 9th has stayed pretty much the same over the past few years. What those teams lack are goals. They’re a good 15-20 off the pace and that takes a lot of money to cover. I don’t see any of those guys troubling the top 6. As we saw last season, having a good strike force can cover up a lot of issues and I don’t think they will be able to cover up their flaws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    It's got nothing to do with wanting a rest.

Bordeaux have offered him a 3 year deal which is much better than the contract we put on the table for him. So like a little bitch he's told the club to terminate his contract so he can move and now he's gone on strike to force the clubs hand.

We could have done with him to see out his final year because of our current situation in defence. What a shit captain and wanker he has proven himself to be.
    The way this club - and country - is going i wouldn't blame anyone for baling tbh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koscielny .

Never rated the error-prone, injury-plagued, Simpsons Season One Bart Simpson look-alike.

Hope he rots in the reserves women's team Arsenal first team.
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 13-07-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My captain, my a**e." ��

"For him to try and force a move away is a disgrace. He’s in a privileged position.”

"They should fine him two weeks wages and and strip him of the captaincy."

Perry Groves slams Laurent Koscielny for trying to force a move from Arsenal.

Video > https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status...34648516915200

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post

Leicester and Wolves will shake things up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I don’t actually believe we will be doing much (significant) business anyway. We can’t afford anyone decent for a start, then you’ve got the added handicap of rival clubs being more attractive at the moment as well.

I reckon this year could just be about pressing the reset button, taking stock and hopefully having a new platform to build from next year with a lighter wage bill and added commercial income.

If we’re going to spend what we do have, I hope it is all invested in young players.

I think it will be exactly that.

To be fair to the guys in charge, they do at least seem to be serious about the focus on younger players. The Ljungberg / Bould reshuffle was a kind of statement of intent on that front, and we’ve just handed out senior squad numbers to Nelson, Willock, Smith Rowe and Nketiah (with Saka also training with the first team out in the States).

Also most of our “transfer business” has been heavily focussed on younger players - it just looks like we’re standing still because we’re so inept at getting deals done and we can’t shift any of the big 3/4 that everyone desperately wants out.

I just hope we don’t sabotage it all by setting a load of unrealistic targets - if we put Emery under too much pressure, he’ll just play it safe, fall back on all of the most senior players he has and we’ll probably end up playing worse. As you say, this should be a reset moment: take a step back, start again; establish a shape, establish a style of play and inject new / missing qualities into the side; get the wage bill down to something manageable so we’re not completely hamstrung when it comes to player trading and can comfortably ride out years without CL football; make sure any future big contracts are heavily tied to CL bonuses - if you don’t make the CL, you don’t get that money.

We’ll need to spend something this summer, especially LB and RB where I don’t see much coming through, but there’s also a lot we can be doing internally that wouldn’t involve spending a dime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Leicester and Wolves will shake things up
    How?