Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Only just seen last night's England result

They really ought to havr dumped Southgate by now
    I think the FA haven’t really got to grips with the talent that the national side has. On a player for player basis, amongst the European nations only France remains stronger and even then that’s marginal.

It feels to them that Southgate is owed this gratitude for getting us to the finals of the last Euros, and the semis of the Russian World Cup (which was more about a favourable draw than anything)

I don’t think France were any better than us in Qatar, and I think we could have beaten Argentina and won the whole thing. And keeping Southgate is absolutely indicative of the over cautious, lacking in ambition culture that exists in the England set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally, under a better manager we'd be favourites for the Euros

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always bemused that England fans perpetually seem to believe that we'd have won all of these trophies down the years were it not for these meddling managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm always bemused that England fans perpetually seem to believe that we'd have won all of these trophies down the years were it not for these meddling managers.
    You can of course exaggerate the impact. I think for example the 2006 Golden Generation was vastly overhyped.

However I think we have the strongest England squad in decades, and it’s not hard to see that we employ a very negative tactical style under Southgate.

There’s also no guarantee of anything. But you see that nations that are serious about winning often try to bring in the best coach to attain this. Vicente Del Bosque brought in for Spain after Luis Aragones, Marcello Lippi brought in to get Italy to win the World Cup in 2006.

Gareth Southgate as I say, coached Middlesborough for about two-three seasons and never managed to get a job after that in club football and ended up in the u21 setup

You’re right it’s always easy to say we would have done this, if not for this. But in my mind, it’s best not to leave room for that kind of regret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    Honestly just fuck off with this.

All this does is waste the time of people, who have to make the effort to debunk this nonsense.

Is there the potential for adverse effects with vaccines? Of course there are…but applying this pathetic infantile post hoc fallacy to everything. Including when you posted a video about Shaka Hislop fainting from heat exhaustion just makes you a trolling cunt.

And it influences credulous people to do stupid things, such as when Piers Corbyn’s accolytes trashed a mobile vaccine station about 2-3 years ago. Dont want to take it yourselves fine…do us all a favour and don’t take any medicine for any ilness. But don’t try and impact on other peoples choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I promise you I'm not among the ranks of the deluded, but I do think Southgate's innately cautious approach and reliance on people like MacGuire and Henderson has cost us at times, whether or not it means we'd have won a tournament or not I'm not so sure

up until 'Whitegate' I thought he was at least someone who was trying to inject some principle and morality into football, but he's now just shown it's all a sham and he's a spineless coward and so he really can fuck off
    Last edited by Mac76; 25-03-2024 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Honestly just fuck off with this.

All this does is waste the time of people, who have to make the effort to debunk this nonsense.
    The fact that he posted an article which had a misleading headline but actually advocated for the vaccine and noted how safe it was, and then failed to acknowledge that when I pointed it out, tells you everything you need to know about him.
    He's either thick as mince or trolling. Either way, not really worth engaging with at length.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    You can of course exaggerate the impact. I think for example the 2006 Golden Generation was vastly overhyped.

However I think we have the strongest England squad in decades, and it’s not hard to see that we employ a very negative tactical style under Southgate.

There’s also no guarantee of anything. But you see that nations that are serious about winning often try to bring in the best coach to attain this. Vicente Del Bosque brought in for Spain after Luis Aragones, Marcello Lippi brought in to get Italy to win the World Cup in 2006.

Gareth Southgate as I say, coached Middlesborough for about two-three seasons and never managed to get a job after that in club football and ended up in the u21 setup

You’re right it’s always easy to say we would have done this, if not for this. But in my mind, it’s best not to leave room for that kind of regret.
    I would note that club management and international management are quite different. I think there's a difference when you get to work with and prepare the players every day and only seeing them every few months. Plus you obviously can't sign players. It would be interesting to see how Pep would get on at international level without his chequebook.

I'm not saying the criticisms of Southgate are not valid, I'm just saying through all my time following England managers have always been hammered for our failings. In the end they're sacked, the next one gets a honeymoon period then we fail and it's the same all over again. The truth is in most of these big tournaments there are teams who are better than us, not for nothing is the PL full of foreign players. Southgate got us to the only final in my lifetime, last World Cup we lost to a better team who were eventual finalists, they would have won it but for some inspired goal keeping. (Although I do think we should have done better in that France game).

I think Southgate's done pretty well overall. I honestly don't follow football closely enough to know how our squad compares to other nations'. If we do poorly this summer we probably should be looking elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would note that club management and international management are quite different. I think there's a difference when you get to work with and prepare the players every day and only seeing them every few months. Plus you obviously can't sign players. It would be interesting to see how Pep would get on at international level without his chequebook.

I'm not saying the criticisms of Southgate are not valid, I'm just saying through all my time following England managers have always been hammered for our failings. In the end they're sacked, the next one gets a honeymoon period then we fail and it's the same all over again. The truth is in most of these big tournaments there are teams who are better than us, not for nothing is the PL full of foreign players. Southgate got us to the only final in my lifetime, last World Cup we lost to a better team who were eventual finalists, they would have won it but for some inspired goal keeping. (Although I do think we should have done better in that France game).

I think Southgate's done pretty well overall. I honestly don't follow football closely enough to know how our squad compares to other nations'. If we do poorly this summer we probably should be looking elsewhere.

I don’t think Southgate’s record is at all bad. But the fact is at the moment I don’t think there are exponentially better sides than England. I don’t say this out of any sense of starry eyed biased where I’m blinkered by some form of English exceptionalism.

And whilst there’s a difference between club management and managing the national side. More often than not coaches that succeed with the national teams are coaches that have achieved at club level. Either that or they are beneficiaries of a system that links club and country at academy level (which is what happens with France and Germany)

Southgate has clearly worked out better for us than was expected annd certainly better than his immediate predecessor who lasted all of one game, and who I do not think would have managed what Southgate has. But I think he has reached the limit of his ability…he’s taken us on from where we were but he should have been moved on after Qatar.