PDA

View Full Version : Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56]

HCZ_Reborn
20-03-2024, 06:45 PM
Where you say "it kind of makes sense that he gets enough game time so that either a Juventus or one of the Saudi clubs come sniffing…at a time during the summer where we absolutely do need to make player sales", well yes fine and then we sell him for whatever we can get - that's not contradictory to what i said about our needing to move him on - I never said we shouldn't give him game time in the meantime

I’d ditch Partey even on a free, your words

Mac76
20-03-2024, 08:22 PM
I’d ditch Partey even on a free, your words

sure, whichi is covered by 'whatever we can get for him' - if it's nothing so be it - realistically if he stays fit for the rest of the season maybe he's a £20m player but no more, probably less

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2024, 07:30 AM
sure, whichi is covered by 'whatever we can get for him' - if it's nothing so be it - realistically if he stays fit for the rest of the season maybe he's a £20m player but no more, probably less

Fully fit he’s still our best midfielder. The only reason I’d want him gone because at 31 it’s clear the injuries are only going to become more and more commonplace.

So I reiterate, im glad you have no influence on our transfer comings and goings

Chippy
21-03-2024, 08:57 AM
Tomiyasu has signed a new long-term contract with us - hmm, good player but a bit injury prone...

https://www.arsenal.com/news/takehiro-tomiyasu-signs-new-long-term-contract

It is not a long term contract, it is a one year extension.

They have obviously looked at his injury prone time with us and are certainly hedging their bets.

Mac76
21-03-2024, 09:33 AM
It is not a long term contract, it is a one year extension.

They have obviously looked at his injury prone time with us and are certainly hedging their bets.

Read the headline of the article i posted, it literally says 'long-term contract' :haha:

WMUG
21-03-2024, 10:45 AM
Weird that they're not specifying the number of years, isn't they usually made public?

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2024, 10:48 AM
Weird that they're not specifying the number of years, isn't they usually made public?

If it’s a one year extension then I suppose it would be dependent on when his original contract ran to. I would imagine that given he joined us in 2021 and if I looked it up…it would probably say he joined on a four year contract. And therefore a one year extension (If that is the case) would take him up till 2026

It also seems highly unlikely that the club would wait until he was less than a year into his current contract expiring before negotiating an update (given he’s 25/26 rather than in his thirties)

Chippy
21-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Read the headline of the article i posted, it literally says 'long-term contract' :haha:

Well, the headline is bollocks.

It is literally a two year year extension. Not really long term is it?

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2024, 01:17 PM
https://x.com/now_arsenai/status/1770799318754005370?s=46&t=n1tnxEg6k_DvSqUkaQFrjw

Interesting

Mac76
21-03-2024, 02:40 PM
Well, the headline is bollocks.

It is literally a two year year extension. Not really long term is it?

well it's double the 'one year extension' you originally stated it was...

Mac76
21-03-2024, 02:43 PM
https://x.com/now_arsenai/status/1770799318754005370?s=46&t=n1tnxEg6k_DvSqUkaQFrjw

Interesting

Why?

Partey has already been back on the pitch for Arsenal and there's been noises about Tomi being nearly match fit for a few weeks now

I suppose there is some interest to be had in speculating as to whether they will both finish the game without having picked up another injury...

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2024, 03:11 PM
I suppose there is some interest to be had in speculating as to whether they will both finish the game without having picked up another injury...

Yeah that’s pretty much what I was alluding to :lol:

Mac76
21-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Yeah that’s pretty much what I was alluding to :lol:

I'd say the odds are even at best...

Mac76
21-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Arsenal 'lost' the game 4-0 apparently, from reports Tomi and Partey seem to have miraculously survived the encounter...

HCZ_Reborn
21-03-2024, 03:44 PM
You’d think how do you lose 4-0 to QPR, but have to remember most of these will be youth players, and have no idea how much of the first team of QPR is playing. Presumably a few given most won’t be on internationals duty

WMUG
21-03-2024, 03:47 PM
Apparently those 2 were the only first team players so yeah, nothing to worry about.

Mac76
21-03-2024, 04:15 PM
totally, a meaningless result hence my saying 'lost'

If our youth team were up against seasoned pros fighting their way in the Championship, it's good practice

Mac76
23-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Only just seen that Saka's not playing for England, good news on the one hand, though obvs we need him better for Citeh - hopefully it's a Giggs-style 'injury' that will miraculously go away mid next week... :pray:

HCZ_Reborn
23-03-2024, 11:51 AM
Only just seen that Saka's not playing for England, good news on the one hand, though obvs we need him better for Citeh - hopefully it's a Giggs-style 'injury' that will miraculously go away mid next week... :pray:

I suspect so. Just as Kane is not playing tonight either

HCZ_Reborn
23-03-2024, 04:59 PM
So the Bear Traps have been laid, in a six week period we could be playing as many as 13 games

March 31st - Man City (A)

April 3rd - Luton (H)

April 6th - Brighton (H)

April 9th - Bayern Munich (H)

April 14th - Aston Villa (H)

April 17th - Bayern Munich (A)

April 20th - Wolves (A)

April 23rd - Chelsea (H)

April 28th - Tottenham (A)

April 30th/May 1st - Man City/Real Madrid (H)

May 4th - Bournemouth (H)

May 7th/8th - Real Madrid/Man City (A)

May 12th - Man United (A)

Letters
23-03-2024, 06:09 PM
Not too worried about any of the home games - maybe with the exception of Chelsea who are shite but you know they'll raise it for us. The cup may distract them though. The away games though... :lol: :ilt:

Mac76
23-03-2024, 07:17 PM
So the Bear Traps have been laid, in a six week period we could be playing as many as 13 games

March 31st - Man City (A)

April 3rd - Luton (H)

April 6th - Brighton (H)

April 9th - Bayern Munich (H)

April 14th - Aston Villa (H)

April 17th - Bayern Munich (A)

April 20th - Wolves (A)

April 23rd - Chelsea (H)

April 28th - Tottenham (A)

April 30th/May 1st - Man City/Real Madrid (H)

May 4th - Bournemouth (H)

May 7th/8th - Real Madrid/Man City (A)

May 12th - Man United (A)

I get they're not as close together but seem odd to list all that and leave out the last two games :lol:

Everton at home on 19 May - last game of the season

and CL final 1st June

That said I don't think we will make the CL final anyway

HCZ_Reborn
23-03-2024, 07:56 PM
I get they're not as close together but seem odd to list all that and leave out the last two games :lol:

Everton at home on 19 May - last game of the season

and CL final 1st June

That said I don't think we will make the CL final anyway

Well yes the point was to illustrate that should we make the semi final we’d be playing twice a week for a six week period

Marc Overmars
23-03-2024, 10:37 PM
It will end in tears at Spurs I’m predicting.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-03-2024, 11:22 AM
For them, yes.

Chippy
24-03-2024, 09:55 PM
It will end in tears at Spurs I’m predicting.

Fuck me! Thanks for that Mr Cheerful :p

Mac76
26-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Really disappointing to see Rice putting more pressure on White in this article, he should just be backing him whatever his decision, not saying he wants to change his mind

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/declan-rice-says-the-sky-is-the-limit-for-kobbie-mainoo-ahead-of-first-england-start/ar-BB1kyxKK

HCZ_Reborn
26-03-2024, 06:48 PM
Really disappointing to see Rice putting more pressure on White in this article, he should just be backing him whatever his decision, not saying he wants to change his mind

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/declan-rice-says-the-sky-is-the-limit-for-kobbie-mainoo-ahead-of-first-england-start/ar-BB1kyxKK

Why?

Trying to persuade someone to change their mind, is not a sign of disrespect for their decision

In Rice’s case it’s a sign of respect for White that he thinks England is missing out by not having him to call on

Mac76
26-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Why?

Trying to persuade someone to change their mind, is not a sign of disrespect for their decision

In Rice’s case it’s a sign of respect for White that he thinks England is missing out by not having him to call on

No, he's implying White's wrong to make himself unavailable, it leaves him more isolated, he should STFU and just back him

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 11:22 AM
No, he's implying White's wrong to make himself unavailable, it leaves him more isolated, he should STFU and just back him

Maybe he knows White better than you do. And maybe he thinks he wants to play for England but feels he’s being held back and wants to act as a mediator. Nothing about that demonstrates a lack of respect for what White is doing.

If White is determined to stick with his position, Rice I’m sure won’t push the matter. But if you’re friends with someone and you think they might benefit from changing their mind there’s no harm in trying to talk them round….if they are resolved and won’t change their mind…then you step back.

A friend of mine recently has been involved in a rather distressing dispute with people close to her (or were once close to her) and the police had originally handled it badly and she wanted to drop the case. I tried my best without being pushy to persuade her to wait a bit not because I knew she would have regretted it if she had just dropped it out of a sense of panic and mistrust. Would I have pushed too far if she was intent on dropping the case…no of course not…if someone is determined you respect their decision…and she did ultimately continue with the case…something she’s stated to me she feels so glad that she did now.

Having someone trying to persuade you is not an act of undermining unless you’re a narcissist like Trump who thinks you can never be wrong about anything. For all you know, White might be the kind of person who is open minded enough to take on a different perspective or way of thinking about the situation.

Mac76
27-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Maybe he knows White better than you do. And maybe he thinks he wants to play for England but feels he’s being held back and wants to act as a mediator. Nothing about that demonstrates a lack of respect for what White is doing.

If White is determined to stick with his position, Rice I’m sure won’t push the matter. But if you’re friends with someone and you think they might benefit from changing their mind there’s no harm in trying to talk them round….if they are resolved and won’t change their mind…then you step back.

My point is he's doing that in public, instead of talking quietly to White behind closed doors - by saying it in public he's unnecessarily putting more pressure on White

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 11:46 AM
Again unless you know what they’ve already spoken about privately, that’s little more than speculation

Mac76
27-03-2024, 11:52 AM
Again unless you know what they’ve already spoken about privately, that’s little more than speculation

what?

I'm talking about what he has said publicly and that I think he is wrong to do so - whatever he has said privately is irrelevant

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 12:03 PM
what?

I'm talking about what he has said publicly and that I think he is wrong to do so - whatever he has said privately is irrelevant

Are you really that lacking in understanding

What I’m saying is for all you know he could have spoken about this with White before hand and White is completely ok with him speaking about it in public when asked

Mac76
27-03-2024, 12:40 PM
Are you really that lacking in understanding

What I’m saying is for all you know he could have spoken about this with White before hand and White is completely ok with him speaking about it in public when asked

For what reason would he be? It just puts more pressure on him and perpetuates the story - if White still makes himself unavailable he will get even more crap for it if his own team mate is basically saying he's wrong

I must admit I do wonder what your reaction would have been if I'd had said Rice was right to do it - would you then have said he was wrong...?

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 02:15 PM
No I generally find if I agree with someone I don’t bother commenting

I don’t feel that strongly about this admittedly, but this idea that Rice would have said what he did without speaking to White is far fetched

But if there’s a public spat between the two I’ll admit I was wrong

Mac76
27-03-2024, 02:41 PM
I think the scenario you've been talking about is Rice opening a route back for White by making it look like he gets talked into rejoining the England camp, i.e. not a total u-turn

it's feasible, but a bit of a reach, Rice could have just as easily said that he hoped that the England camp could find a way to reach out to White, rather than putting it on him - after all it's all down to Holland not White IMO

anyway after the Euros i think Southgate will go - win or lose - and then White will be clear to come back as Holland would go too presumably

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 03:23 PM
I think the scenario you've been talking about is Rice opening a route back for White by making it look like he gets talked into rejoining the England camp, i.e. not a total u-turn

it's feasible, but a bit of a reach, Rice could have just as easily said that he hoped that the England camp could find a way to reach out to White, rather than putting it on him - after all it's all down to Holland not White IMO

anyway after the Euros i think Southgate will go - win or lose - and then White will be clear to come back as Holland would go too presumably

I think this is primarily what I am differing with you on, you tend to construct a narrative which you’re convinced is the most likely and then you work from that assumption to form other conclusions

I don’t know what the lay of the land is and I’ve offered possible alternatives because I don’t reach the automatic conclusion that by speaking up Rice is in Camp Southgate. I don’t think there even is a Camp Southgate, I don’t think Southgate has fallen out with White I think its more likely that he’s too weak to step in and address the issue between White and Holland

Plus nothing Rice said gave me the impression that he thinks White is overreacting or behaving unwisely, it’s more I’d like to try and persuade my Arsenal team mate to play for England again….because I think he would be a great asset for England like he is for Arsenal.

I don’t see that puts pressure on White, I think if he was worried about pressure he wouldn’t have removed himself from the England set up to begin with.

Again that’s speculative on my part, for what it’s worth I do think there’s a lot in your argument that White is waiting for Southgate and by extension Holland to fuck off.

I just don’t think White is going to feel sandbagged by this. I think it’s only Southgate that has done this to deflect from why White doesn’t get called up to the side. I think it’s not just Holland, I think White probably thinks why am I putting myself forward for selection when those useless cunts Trippier and Maguire get the nod over me.

He might even be prepared to put up with Holland being a cock

Mac76
27-03-2024, 03:59 PM
I think this is primarily what I am differing with you on, you tend to construct a narrative which you’re convinced is the most likely and then you work from that assumption to form other conclusions

I don’t know what the lay of the land is and I’ve offered possible alternatives because I don’t reach the automatic conclusion that by speaking up Rice is in Camp Southgate. I don’t think there even is a Camp Southgate, I don’t think Southgate has fallen out with White I think its more likely that he’s too weak to step in and address the issue between White and Holland

Plus nothing Rice said gave me the impression that he thinks White is overreacting or behaving unwisely, it’s more I’d like to try and persuade my Arsenal team mate to play for England again….because I think he would be a great asset for England like he is for Arsenal.

I don’t see that puts pressure on White, I think if he was worried about pressure he wouldn’t have removed himself from the England set up to begin with.

Again that’s speculative on my part, for what it’s worth I do think there’s a lot in your argument that White is waiting for Southgate and by extension Holland to fuck off.

I just don’t think White is going to feel sandbagged by this. I think it’s only Southgate that has done this to deflect from why White doesn’t get called up to the side. I think it’s not just Holland, I think White probably thinks why am I putting myself forward for selection when those useless cunts Trippier and Maguire get the nod over me.

He might even be prepared to put up with Holland being a cock

I think you're overdoing what I said, I just said it wasn't helpful

I'm not suggesting Rice is in 'Camp Southgate' i just think he's been a bit dumb/naive about saying what he said in public

As for White and pressure, he presumably didn't think Southgate would throw him to the wolves in the way he's done

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 04:33 PM
I’d remind you that before the reason came out you speculated that White just wasn’t that interested in playing for England because of his lack of interest in the game, which let’s be fair is in the ball park of the assumption Holland made about him.

And having read the full statement Rice gave again, he says he hopes he will play for England again but states that it’s his decision.

Also and I quote “Ben is such a good guy and an unbelievable footballer” . This is firstly a response to what he’s been asked rather than Rice deciding to intervene in the situation directly. And nothing he said suggested he didn’t support his decision, more just an affirmation that he’d like to see a footballer he likes and talent he respects play for England

I think whilst Southgate tried to throw White under the bus, I don’t think it’s worked. As despite the anticipated “White is a facking disgrace….its more a case of respecting his decision yet lamenting it because he’s better than a lot of the shite that gets picked over him.

Mac76
27-03-2024, 05:26 PM
I’d remind you that before the reason came out you speculated that White just wasn’t that interested in playing for England because of his lack of interest in the game

I don't at all remember saying that but if you can find it then fine - all i could find was where you said "it’s the pinnacle of your career to play for your country."

I then said "Maybe for you, maybe not for him?" but that's a long way from what you just described I said - anyway I was wrong because since it's emerged how pleased he publicly said he was when first picked for England

Again though, all irrelevant regarding Rice's comments

HCZ_Reborn
27-03-2024, 06:57 PM
I retract that then, it was indeed not you who said that

Conversations on here are running like colours and whites in a machine wash at 60. It was MO who attributed the whole not interested in football thing into the discussion

It was more setting up how you have a tendency to take a snapshot and make an entire narrative from it and assume that’s correct (a bit like how you did with the nothing video of Trossard) but given you didn’t say what I wrongly attributed to you that doesn’t work as an example of that.

But yeah basically I’m happy to go with nothing Rice says undermines White’s position…I think under the circumstances it was the best response he could have given and he covered all bases.

But as I say if White gets the hump over it (which in all likelihood we will never get to know about because White has tended to maintain radio silence over things)….i still say Rice did the right thing and maybe White needs to wind his neck in. But this is absurdly trespassing into the land of hypotheticals

dazthegooner
09-04-2024, 07:33 AM
On the day: 9 April 1988 The start of the notorious racial abuse of Paul Davis by Glenn Cockerill of Southampton. The issue boiled over on 17 September when Davis hit Cockerill and was banned for an unprecedented nine matches in an early case (possibly the first case) of using TV evidence. Remember that tremendous left hook Tyson would have been proud.

Letters
09-04-2024, 10:53 AM
That was a bit before I started following Arsenal closely but am obviously aware of it :d

dazthegooner
09-04-2024, 11:03 AM
Was 14 at the time remember it well probably all that was in the sports section for days (my dad always got The Sun for the racing) was lucky he only got a 9 game ban if Skysports had been around around he'd have got 9 years <_<

Chippy
09-04-2024, 12:05 PM
On the day: 9 April 1988 The start of the notorious racial abuse of Paul Davis by Glenn Cockerill of Southampton. The issue boiled over on 17 September when Davis hit Cockerill and was banned for an unprecedented nine matches in an early case (possibly the first case) of using TV evidence. Remember that tremendous left hook Tyson would have been proud.

No he wouldnt have :lol: It was an elbow to the face and Glen Cockerell wasnt even looking ;)

dazthegooner
09-04-2024, 12:18 PM
No he walked hehind him and got him with his left arm it's on youtube.

Letters
09-04-2024, 12:49 PM
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=803810377408695

HCZ_Reborn
19-04-2024, 09:12 AM
Sir Chips Keswick is no more

IBK
19-04-2024, 10:24 AM
Sir Chips Keswick is no more

Sad news.

HCZ_Reborn
29-04-2024, 09:23 AM
So just seen something on Twitter (not calling it X) that I’ve not previously seen

A Chelsea fan openly lamenting selling Havertz

dazthegooner
29-04-2024, 09:26 AM
They're probably still saying the same about Salah and DeBruyne.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
29-04-2024, 01:07 PM
So just seen something on Twitter (not calling it X) that I’ve not previously seen

A Chelsea fan openly lamenting selling Havertz

Not a very bright football fan if you ask me.

I mean yeah Jackson hasn't been great (like almost all their other signings), but I'd still take his industry and lower wages over Havertz anyday of the week.

Selling off Havertz and Mount were great deals for them, its the manner that they spent the money which is their problem

Letters
29-04-2024, 01:29 PM
I'm still not sure what I think about Havertz. I really want to like him but although he's improved it still feels like £60m was a big price for someone who hasn't been that prolific.

HCZ_Reborn
29-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Not a very bright football fan if you ask me.

I mean yeah Jackson hasn't been great (like almost all their other signings), but I'd still take his industry and lower wages over Havertz anyday of the week.

Selling off Havertz and Mount were great deals for them, its the manner that they spent the money which is their problem

Don’t know that I agree with that at all

I still wouldn’t have signed Havertz but no question at all that he has been far better than most of us assumed he’d be

Yesterday it wasn’t just the goal, it was the way he held up the ball and gave us that physical dimension. The only Chelsea player I’d probably take over Havertz is Cole Palmer

HCZ_Reborn
29-04-2024, 01:45 PM
I'm still not sure what I think about Havertz. I really want to like him but although he's improved it still feels like £60m was a big price for someone who hasn't been that prolific.

I think it’s unlikely Havertz is ever going to justify his transfer fee especially when you consider the money spent on Trossard, Odegaard etc but he’s been a very useful player this season of that there’s no question

Mac76
29-04-2024, 01:55 PM
Disagree, how much would we have paid for a striker that got nearly a goal a game and also contributed well overall (think of the pass to Saka yesterday)?

I think the money's turned out to be justified

Trossard was a bargain and Jorg and Kiwior good buys, although there will always be a question mark on why we didn't focus on them to start with instead of one (unconvincing) player in Mudryk, we'd have been chronically short this season without those three buys

21_GOONER_SALUTE
29-04-2024, 03:53 PM
Disagree, how much would we have paid for a striker that got nearly a goal a game and also contributed well overall (think of the pass to Saka yesterday)?

Trossard was a bargain and Jorg and Kiwior good buys, although there will always be a question mark on why we didn't focus on them to start with instead of one (unconvincing) player in Mudryk, we'd have been chronically short this season without those three buys

So can I deduce from your responses, that as far as you and HCZ are concerned, we no longer need to splurge on a top striker, since Havertz is doing a more than adequate job so far?

HCZ_Reborn
29-04-2024, 04:14 PM
So can I deduce from your responses, that as far as you and HCZ are concerned, we no longer need to splurge on a top striker, since Havertz is doing a more than adequate job so far?

I don’t think there’s anything I’ve said that could lead you to that conclusion

We absolutely do need a striker. In fact all I’ve said is that Havertz has proven himself a useful addition to the team

21_GOONER_SALUTE
29-04-2024, 06:51 PM
I don’t think there’s anything I’ve said that could lead you to that conclusion

We absolutely do need a striker. In fact all I’ve said is that Havertz has proven himself a useful addition to the team

So if we do go out and spend real money on a top striker, where would Havertz play? Would it make sense to have both Jesus and him being our highest earners and warming the bench as "useful additions to the team"?

IMO if we are being serious about competing, we need to get Havertz off our books this summer, and thanks to the current media hype on his "contributions" it makes getting our "investment" back easier than it was 4 months ago. It goes without saying that we'd have recruited a top striker before that decision.....actually scratch that, if anyone threw silly money at him now we should just take it and move on.

HCZ_Reborn
29-04-2024, 07:36 PM
So if we do go out and spend real money on a top striker, where would Havertz play? Would it make sense to have both Jesus and him being our highest earners and warming the bench as "useful additions to the team"?

IMO if we are being serious about competing, we need to get Havertz off our books this summer, and thanks to the current media hype on his "contributions" it makes getting our "investment" back easier than it was 4 months ago. It goes without saying that we'd have recruited a top striker before that decision.....actually scratch that, if anyone threw silly money at him now we should just take it and move on.

Surely it would make far more sense to get Jesus and Nketiah off our books rather then a player who is actually producing for us

Marc Overmars
29-04-2024, 07:36 PM
I’m happy that he’s found a role for himself and delivered more than Jesus would have, but it’s still a square peg in a round hole that won’t stand the test of time. A striker has to be top of the shopping list this summer and I would also look for a right sided winger to compete with Saka as well.

If we can offload Jesus and buy someone like Isak I would be very happy.

Mac76
30-04-2024, 01:28 PM
I think having a choice of different types of striker is the ideal, with Kai being one and the other being an Eddie type but one who is at top-of-the-PL level rather than middle-of-the-Championship level

Mac76
01-05-2024, 11:54 PM
Is anyone else lying awake at 1am thinking "we could win the league"?

I know it's massively unlikely but I'm in 'Fever Pitch' mode and can't stop myself having those 'what if' thoughts

But that's what it's about, the belief, the hope, if it gets dashed so be it, but we're bloody close and it feels good :good:

(and yes I may have had a drink or two :))

Marc Overmars
02-05-2024, 03:46 AM
Is anyone else lying awake at 1am thinking "we could win the league"?

I know it's massively unlikely but I'm in 'Fever Pitch' mode and can't stop myself having those 'what if' thoughts

But that's what it's about, the belief, the hope, if it gets dashed so be it, but we're bloody close and it feels good :good:

(and yes I may have had a drink or two :))

We’re as close as we’ve been in 20 years but sadly because it’s out of our hands and a lot still needs to happen for it to swing our way, I’m not really that excited. Now if by some miracle City dropped some unexpected points, I’d be absolutely shitting it with excitement.

I know you get what you deserve in the end but I feel as though we’ve been better than City in the league this season so it’s horribly frustrating to not be above them right now.

Mac76
02-05-2024, 07:06 AM
Yeah generally (i.e. when I've had not had a drink or two) I've been feeling that way, but the Spuds game was such a big hurdle to clear that it's going to feel quite disappointing now, either if we now do drop points or if we don't and they win all their games - which history tells us is very likely

Anyway I'm off to get some aspirin...

Letters
02-05-2024, 08:24 AM
It is beginning to feel like a real possibility.
It always has been but with our run in and City and Liverpool both looking in the mood it seemed unlikely. We were always 3rd favourites. But now Liverpool have all but removed themselves from the equation and Arsenal have navigated the big banana skins. We still have Utd away - they're a mess and very beatable, but they'll definitely raise it against us. And the home games are banana skins, particularly Bournemouth. The main thing of course is it's not in our hands. And City aren't known for slipping at this stage of the season.
I think whatever happens I won't be too upset. It's been a brilliant effort. People can point to the Villa game. I'd point to the West Ham and Fulham ones. But you can do that in any season. If City do slip and we don't then it will be properly squeaky bum time.

Mac76
02-05-2024, 10:37 AM
I'd rather City won all their games than if they slip up and then, like after Liverpool-Palace, we do the same, that really would be unbearable

Letters
02-05-2024, 10:44 AM
I'd rather City won all their games than if they slip up and then, like after Liverpool-Palace, we do the same, that really would be unbearable

Yes. The weekend when Liverpool lost to Palace...and then we lost to Villa was pretty hard to take.
If we do our bit and it's not enough then so be it. I've said this all along. If City are going to win it then ok, but make the fuckers win it. Don't just hand it to them like last season.

IBK
02-05-2024, 11:18 AM

I agree with this.

Havertz's all round play has been as big a factor as his G's and A's in getting us to where we are. His athleticism has surprised me, and his fitness/availability is off the scale. Plus he has delievered in big games, and given the kind of money that teams have slurged for young or untested players recently, £60M looks like money well spent.

Havertz plays 2 roles in one, and is difficult to categorise, but this is also his strength.

Mac76
03-05-2024, 08:41 AM
This video is brilliant - some great moments, not least Ben White in the tunnel :lol: and THAT block from Gabriel... :good:

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1785647062194749549

Letters
05-05-2024, 03:56 PM
It’s a sign!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/c51nvy7yld2t

HCZ_Reborn
05-05-2024, 04:12 PM
It’s a sign!

Apparently Blackstenius has a boyfriend

Odd…for women’s football

Letters
05-05-2024, 04:13 PM
:haha:

dazthegooner
05-05-2024, 04:44 PM
Ah but is it a "Boyfriend"? :unsure:

HCZ_Reborn
05-05-2024, 06:33 PM
Ah but is it a "Boyfriend"? :unsure:

Well I don’t know how they identify, but certainly looks like a fella

Marc Overmars
09-05-2024, 01:57 PM
Jorginho has signed a contract extension.

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2024, 03:30 PM

Yeah I saw that. I think this will be a way of avoiding spending on a central midfielder. I think Partey will get a contract extension as well. Whilst Partey is a better footballer than Jorginho and Rice, it’s a massive gamble to depend on his fitness.

But that’s the situation we are in financially

Mac76
09-05-2024, 04:57 PM
It’s a sign!

The 'sign' is that they can beat Citeh away, whereas we can't - not sure that's grounds for optimism...

Mac76
09-05-2024, 04:59 PM

Glad to see it, I think he's a really useful player who I gather is really good to have around the club

Probably does mean we move Partey on but if we can't rely on him it's for the best

Letters
09-05-2024, 05:47 PM
The 'sign' is that they can beat Citeh away, whereas we can't - not sure that's grounds for optimism...

Well you’re no fun! <_<

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2024, 05:59 PM
Glad to see it, I think he's a really useful player who I gather is really good to have around the club

Probably does mean we move Partey on but if we can't rely on him it's for the best

I don’t think we will move on Partey. I doubt we can afford a replacement if we are looking to sign a striker and or a right sided midfielder.

Mac76
09-05-2024, 06:43 PM
I don’t think we will move on Partey. I doubt we can afford a replacement if we are looking to sign a striker and or a right sided midfielder.

one could argue we can't afford to keep him, given he's on good money but only plays about half a season

HCZ_Reborn
09-05-2024, 08:33 PM
one could argue we can't afford to keep him, given he's on good money but only plays about half a season

Well that’s the difference between what we can afford in terms of our prospects of challenging and what we can afford on a balance sheet.

It’s cheaper to keep a half fit Partey rather than sell him for a reduced fee, pay far in excess of the fee we receive to replace him and the wages which would match whatever Partey is on.

Partey is a player like fine China to be used on special occasions, I think he would be far more useful to us in the champions league than Rice or Jorginho where transitioning players can just run past them or exploit the former’s naivety at that level

dazthegooner
10-05-2024, 04:06 PM
Just see this article from The mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jamie-ohara-arsenal-tottenham-brady-32782191 :haha:

HCZ_Reborn
10-05-2024, 04:51 PM
Just see this article from The mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jamie-ohara-arsenal-tottenham-brady-32782191 :haha:

He’s a strange lad isn’t he

Without giving too much away he ended his playing career at a club very close to me

dazthegooner
10-05-2024, 05:05 PM
How many people will Google He's last club? :yikes: I won't I don't care :)