PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye RVP!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Fist of Lehmann
28-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Theres no other single player who's anywhere near as important to us as RVP, so who else would moan that he's getting a huge pay increase (maybe double)?Nice in theory. But we're talking about young men with more cars than brain cells here. A proper sense of humility and proportion isn't likely to override a sense of greed. And even if it does, you can be sure that their agents will be taking note.

Besides, like I said, it's not so much about who and how many would moan as who the board are willing to risk moaning.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I dont think people appreciate just how much dead wood we have and the cost of keeping them around for the rest of their contracts. Would be far better to just negotiate a pay of and get rid of the twats. Some will go on free transfers, the likes of Almunia and Vela will always have clubs willing to sign them its the ones with the attitude we may struggle to shift, like Bendtner and Denilson.

Yep, problem is what if players like Bendtner refuse it then what do you so. For me its this giving players long contracts that have really messed us up.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Yep, problem is what if players like Bendtner refuse it then what do you so. For me its this giving players long contracts that have really messed us up.

Terminate their contracts obviously

fakeyank
29-02-2012, 04:32 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7554262/Holland-suffer-RVP-scare

4th place :rose:

Flavs
29-02-2012, 08:27 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7554262/Holland-suffer-RVP-scare

4th place :rose:

Even if its not just the international friendly injury game being played it doesn't matter, Park will be over his waiting period now and will come in and bang a hat-trick at the scouse

fakeyank
29-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Even if its not just the international friendly injury game being played it doesn't matter, Park will be over his waiting period now and will come in and bang a hat-trick at the scouse

Question is... is he over his wanting period?

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed his interest in Robin van Persie - but believes the Arsenal captain will remain with the Gunners.

The 28-year-old, who has netted 32 goals for the north London club this season, is out of contract at the Emirates Stadium in 2013 and has put talks over a new deal on hold until the summer.

Mancini would love to sign Van Persie if he became available, but does not think that will happen.

The Italian said: "We are interested in all good players. This is normal, but not only us. I think all the good teams are interested in Van Persie.
"I think Van Persie at this moment is one of the best strikers in Europe with [Lionel] Messi, [Cristiano] Ronaldo and with Sergio [Aguero] and Mario [Balotelli].

"I think he is a fantastic striker, but I think he will remain with Arsenal."

Stay

City acquired Samir Nasri from Arsenal last summer and have also signed Gael Clichy, Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor from the Gunners in recent years.

Mancini added: "I think if there is a good player who wants to leave a club, then we are interested.

"But if this player wants to stay, we don't have any problem. In my opinion, Van Persie will stay at Arsenal.

"I think Robin van Persie will sign a new contract with Arsenal because if Arsenal lose also Van Persie, they will have a big problem.

"I think Arsenal will buy good players in the summer. Arsenal is a top team. They want to win the next Premier League, so for these reasons I think he will stay."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7578543/Mancini-admits-RVP-interest

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7578543/Mancini-admits-RVP-interest

Aguero and Balotelli have some ways to go to be considered in the same class as RvP. For all their money, City haven't managed to buy the best in any position.

Coney
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice in theory. But we're talking about young men with more cars than brain cells here. A proper sense of humility and proportion isn't likely to override a sense of greed. And even if it does, you can be sure that their agents will be taking note.

Besides, like I said, it's not so much about who and how many would moan as who the board are willing to risk moaning.

All you do is make sure the good players - the ones you want to keep - get the good pay. If the ones on lesser pay moan and leave, then presumably since they are not the good ones you wanted to keep, they can piss off.

Power n Glory
08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Aguero and Balotelli have some ways to go to be considered in the same class as RvP. For all their money, City haven't managed to buy the best in any position.

But would object to a swap deal if RVP had his heart set on leaving and one those players really wanted to play for us? I know I wouldn't. 12 months ago, RVP wasn't on anybody's hitlist. On the reverse, if you had heard we were in negotiations for either Aguero or Balotelli, I doubt you'd have made such a statement. They're both good strikers but RVP towers above everyone at the moment.

Fist of Lehmann
08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
All you do is make sure the good players - the ones you want to keep - get the good pay. If the ones on lesser pay moan and leave, then presumably since they are not the good ones you wanted to keep, they can piss off.It would be nice to think it would be that easy, but all the devils are likely to be in the details.

Most feel our wage bill is already too high. At the end of the season we will have contract re-negotiations and step-up clauses to service in addition.

Profits other than player trading are negligible.

So with all the money in our wage bill already committed we would need to free up cash to consider pay rises to the better players. Since paycuts are out of the question, this means sales, that's IF we can shift these high earning shitbags.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, I'm saying it's problematic. Still, I guess Gazidis has to do something to justify his 600k bonus.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 01:42 PM

The fact he compared them to Messi and Ronaldo is shocking in its self tbh.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
But would object to a swap deal if RVP had his heart set on leaving and one those players really wanted to play for us? I know I wouldn't. 12 months ago, RVP wasn't on anybody's hitlist. On the reverse, if you had heard we were in negotiations for either Aguero or Balotelli, I doubt you'd have made such a statement. They're both good strikers but RVP towers above everyone at the moment.

Wouldn't want Balotelli, what would be the point? The guy's a nutter. Augero, no problems there but he's a step down In class from what we already have. Like Cesc, if RvP goes we simply won't have the sort of resources required to replace him like for like.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't want Balotelli, what would be the point? The guy's a nutter. Augero, no problems there but he's a step down In class from what we already have. Like Cesc, if RvP goes we simply won't have the sort of resources required to replace him like for like.

:gp:

Power n Glory
08-03-2012, 10:04 PM

That's because he's been playing here at Arsenal for so long and we depend on him heavily. He won't play like this for another team because they are most likely to have more match winners on their squad. Unlike other top teams, we depend too heavily on our one individual star player.

Niall_Quinn
09-03-2012, 12:47 AM
That's because he's been playing here at Arsenal for so long and we depend on him heavily. He won't play like this for another team because they are most likely to have more match winners on their squad. Unlike other top teams, we depend too heavily on our one individual star player.

Maybe true, but the guy has still stuck the ball in the back of the net 35 times this season. Only two other players can better than and we know who they are and what league they are playing in.

Cripps_orig
11-03-2012, 01:25 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/

RVP signs

McNamara That Ghost...
11-03-2012, 09:01 AM
He's found a paper of which to post his goodbye message.

:whistle:

Dennis Bendtner
11-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Why do all our dimwit captains become Sun columnists?

Cripps_orig
11-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Beacuse the Sun is the best in the world at what they do

Olivier's xmas twist
11-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Beacuse the Sun is the best in the world at what they do

Tell that to the Anfield faithful.

Cripps_orig
11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Tell that to the Anfield faithful.Sun speaks the truth tbh

Master Splinter
13-03-2012, 01:06 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/13/robin-van-persie-captain?newsfeed=true

Good article by the female writer.

Robin WUM Persie :bow:.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-03-2012, 01:10 AM
She's a gooner. I mean, she actually is.

:bow:

KSE Comedy Club
18-04-2012, 06:26 AM
The daily star today has a picture of van Persie meeting barca officials for dinner at a hotel on mariot lane, after the wigan game.

Just been shown on SSN.

:(

Some people have however suggested that he was nearly meeting up with cesc to say hello. Not the best of times to do it though.

Letters
18-04-2012, 06:50 AM
The Daily Star! :lol:

KSE Comedy Club
18-04-2012, 06:59 AM
It's in the daily mail too.

I reckon it's perfectly innocent.

Marc Overmars
18-04-2012, 07:28 AM
The daily star today has a picture of van Persie meeting barca officials for dinner at a hotel on mariot lane, after the wigan game.

Just been shown on SSN.

Some people have however suggested that he was nearly meeting up with cesc to say hello. Not the best of times to do it though.

Santos tweeted;

Chatting with my boy @DaniAlvesD2 at Barça's hotel, good to see you pal, good luck the game tomorrow ;))

Just sounds like some mates were in town and like RVP he went to say hello. :shrug:

Obviously whatever RVP does now is going to be met with scrutiny, it's that time of year again.

Letters
18-04-2012, 08:06 AM
It's in the daily mail too.

I reckon it's perfectly innocent.
It is, a bloke next to me was reading it on the train. The headline screams speculation about what he was up to but the article makes it clear enough he was meeting up with a few mates there :rolleyes:

I personally think he'll stay (although I always think that, to be fair) but if it looks like he's not going to sign a new contract then we need to get rid asap and buy some quality replacements (plural)

Olivier's xmas twist
18-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Just been shown on SSN.

Stopped reading there tbh.

Master Splinter
18-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Santos is going to Barcelona?

Fuck.

Japan Shaking All Over
20-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Santos tweeted;

Just sounds like some mates were in town and like RVP he went to say hello. :shrug:

Obviously whatever RVP does now is going to be met with scrutiny, it's that time of year again.

Will only believe it once Pique gets involved......knows how to get his man!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bAo4_wj7mig/S-X3wHWHGiI/AAAAAAAA_sk/maRjL1XyEEs/Foto%20Ibrahimovic%20Pique%20juntos%5B1%5D.jpg

Cripps_orig
23-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Arsene Wenger celebrated Arsenal's first major trophy in seven years last night by promising: "There's more where that came from."

Robin Van Persie, who's bagged 27 goals already this term, fended off competition from Wayne Rooney to land the PFA Player of the Year gong at a glitzy London bash, which Wenger believes will mark the beginning of a trophy glut at the Emirates.
"I dedicate this victory to the fans. It's an amazing achievement for Arsenal Football Club and everyone in the team, who sacrificed their own goal tally so that Robin could win this fantastic trophy," he said.
"Being the Player of the Year can only increase Van Persie's value if we sell him," Wenger added. "We stand to make a tidy profit and that is sure to please our supporters, who often argue that they value a healthy balance sheet over success on the pitch."
Despite being linked with a summer move to Barcelona or Real Madrid, however, Wenger believes the club's historic season - in which they ensured no titles or cups could be won as early as February - may persuade the Dutchman to stay put.
"I've already made it clear that finishing fourth will be like winning a trophy," boasted the Frenchman, "but if we finish third we'll get even more prize money, which we will definitely spend this summer on assembling a team that could possibly, maybe, win the title at some point in the next century. Potentially."

RVPs as good as gone

Marc Overmars
23-04-2012, 08:33 PM
:lol:

Syn
23-04-2012, 08:33 PM
As far as Wenger parody's go, that is as well yknow fucking shit.

http://twitter.com/#!/wengerknowsbest 's the best around atm at what he does.

Cripps_orig
23-04-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/120423/poll-who-arsenals-greatest-flying-dutchman-170486

B (http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/120423/poll-who-arsenals-greatest-flying-dutchman-170486)ergkamp :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
23-04-2012, 08:49 PM
RVPs as good as gone

On the basis of what or did he tell you that.

Cripps_orig
23-04-2012, 08:57 PM
On the basis of what or did he tell you that.On the basis of us being a bit shit and the article

Olivier's xmas twist
23-04-2012, 09:11 PM
On the basis of us being a bit shit and the article
Oh

arsenallovefc
27-04-2012, 05:48 AM
I could see RVP going to city. Joining nasri and their long list of expensive strikers. I feel the reason we've had a decent season is because RVP has stayed fit.

Flavs
27-04-2012, 07:05 AM
No chance he would go to Citeh, none, nada, zip, didley.

Juve, Meelan, Milan, Barca and Real are different though

Xhaka Can’t
27-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Barca are under pressure to make a big trophy signing after their relatively disappointing season - particularly with a new manager in post.

Kano
27-04-2012, 07:52 AM
he would be a fool to go to spain.

italy would suit him perfectly. a slower game that allows you to be a bit more physical - plus he would be the star man at someone like juve, rather than just another one at the two spanish clubs

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 08:25 AM
he would be a fool to go to spain.

italy would suit him perfectly. a slower game that allows you to be a bit more physical - plus he would be the star man at someone like juve, rather than just another one at the two spanish clubs

Yep i think he suit Italy most if he wants to leave, Juve would be perfect for him, as their up and coming again. Can't see him going to city though,

GP
27-04-2012, 08:26 AM
It's all a moo point as he'll be staying anyway.

-Xs-
27-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Agreed, I don't think he'll be going to an udder club...

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Kano
27-04-2012, 08:55 AM
he'll be off

Marc Overmars
27-04-2012, 09:01 AM
he'll be off

I wish I was convinced but I always fear the worst when first team players are linked with a move away, usually they always happen in the end.

LDG
27-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Agreed, I don't think he'll be going to an udder club...

Not all black and white, is what I herd.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 09:10 AM
We'll we should find out in a few weeks whats happening with him.

not sure he'd go for a lot though.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-04-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm staying optimistic on this one and saying 'he's staying' but the club needs to do a lot more than give him a blank cheque.........

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm staying optimistic on this one and saying 'he's staying' but the club needs to do a lot more than give him a blank cheque.........

Pretty much. Bring in qulality players and he is as good as staying.

Syn
27-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I've always wondered whether players actually want their clubs to sign top players in their general position. Podolski is a striker - sure he can play outwide but his main job is finding the net. If we bought a bunch of quality defenders and midfielders, I'm sure Rvp would be pleased. How much the podolski signing helps, I don't know. If RVP has a big ego (and a lot of footballers do) I think he'd be happier if his importance to the team wasn't cut by half.I'm not saying don't buy strikers. The club obviously needs a couple more. But I'm not sure it helps Van Persie. Writing a blank cheque is very much the way to go to keep him at the club.

cricketsi
27-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Not all black and white, is what I herd.

His agent will be milking the situation but ultimately he won't be changing Jerseys as he won't want to play for some team that just hoofs the bull about.

Letters
27-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I've always wondered whether players actually want their clubs to sign top players in their general position. Podolski is a striker - sure he can play outwide but his main job is finding the net. If we bought a bunch of quality defenders and midfielders, I'm sure Rvp would be pleased. How much the podolski signing helps, I don't know. If RVP has a big ego (and a lot of footballers do) I think he'd be happier if his importance to the team wasn't cut by half.I'm not saying don't buy strikers. The club obviously needs a couple more. But I'm not sure it helps Van Persie. Writing a blank cheque is very much the way to go to keep him at the club.
IMO we need to give him a truck of money and show a bit of ambition in the transfer market. RvP is one of the best in the world at what he does, no-one we sign will displace him, it would hopefully compliment him.

Kano
27-04-2012, 11:09 AM

wenger said similar a year ago or so, following arshavin speaking out that we need some transfers. as he said, players always generically mention these players without ever specifically mentioning the position we need to buy in - for obvious reasons.

Flavs
27-04-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17866366

No shit

Syn
27-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I guess the counter argument is that if top players were truly happy being the big fish in the small pond, they wouldn't keep leaving us. I do think though that Van Persie is happy in his comfort zone being the main man at the club. I get the feeling he enjoys being the captain. I think Barca, now, will be after him - and so will others. But he will be smart enough to realise that he hasn't got many years at the top level. He can't make the same impact anywhere else that he has made at Arsenal. Deciding to stay for another 5 years, cementing his place as an Arsenal legend is probably the way to go....providing, as I say, Arsen can match the salaries that Barca, Milan etc. will offer. I do think his age will put some clubs off.

Flavs
27-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I do think his age will put some clubs off.

But also they will know he wants one last big pay day and that will attract he sharks, I am surprised that PSG haven't been linked with him yet his style would do well in Ligue 1

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 11:31 AM

I think he'd be happy if he knew he not have to do all the work himself. Im sure he'd love to be here for life, he loves London and is settled here, but its about the club matching his ambtion/s.

Bringing in a stiker who we can rely on. This season he knows he can't rely on any of them fou support. One was bought to sell shirts and the other 1 is not trusted by the manager so never starts games.

Podolski coming in should deffo help.

Özim
27-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Not looking good, you only delay talks if you're not sure you want to stay otherwise it's a no brainer.

He'll be with his Dutch colleagues in the summer who might help him decide he needs a new challenge, the club aren't really ambitious enough to achieve the success which any top player wants, especially at his age.

fakeyank
27-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Not looking good, you only delay talks if you're not sure you want to stay otherwise it's a no brainer.

He'll be with his Dutch colleagues in the summer who might help him decide he needs a new challenge, the club aren't really ambitious enough to achieve the success which any top player wants, especially at his age.

A world class player leaving Arsenal to win trophies elsewhere.. surely this hasnt happened in the last few years! :rolleyes:

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 04:56 PM
A world class player leaving Arsenal to win trophies elsewhere.. surely this hasnt happened in the last few years! :rolleyes:

And there is not one who deserves to win tropies more, If hee does go then he'd have not thought about it lightly as the others did, he had really given it some thought.

Not sure we'd get loads of money fot him with his injury record though.

Syn
27-04-2012, 05:05 PM
And there is not one who deserves to win tropies more, If hee does go then he'd have not thought about it lightly as the others did, he had really given it some thought. Nah, if he leaves, fuck him he's a ****. Sitting on his arse earning silly cash for 6 years. He needs to give us another 4 years of this.

Joker
27-04-2012, 05:10 PM
He could stay 4 more years with a manager whose sole focus is a top 4 position, with little interest in going after the domestic trophies and little chance of winning the Champions League. He doesn't have too many years left at the top level, he knows if he wants to join a club and be an integral part of league winning team, he needs to depart now.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Consistency is everything and despite his heroics this season, it's pretty much the first year he has been given a hero status. I'd feel a little short-changed if he decided to jump at the first opportunity.

Everything is set up for him here to become a legend.

However if he does leave I wouldn't be too bitter towards him, he is a modern day footballer at the end of the day. If he fancies earning a packet and potentially picking up +1 medals elsewhere, then bye and good luck.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 05:15 PM
He could stay 4 more years with a manager whose sole focus is a top 4 position, with little interest in going after the domestic trophies and little chance of winning the Champions League. He doesn't have too many years left at the top level, he knows if he wants to join a club and be an integral part of league winning team, he needs to depart now.

Yep if we did win the league next season i see hos dissapointing AW will be its not 4th place.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Nah, if he leaves, fuck him he's a ****. Sitting on his arse earning silly cash for 6 years. He needs to give us another 4 years of this.

Özim
27-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Yep if we did win the league next season i see hos dissapointing AW will be its not 4th place.
Don't worry, that won't happen in a months of Sundays.

4th place is like winning the league for Wenger, it's his "Championship", in some ways we're winners already:trophy:

Cripps_orig
27-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Although we all know what will happen. We reach the end of the season and RVP says he is concentrating on Euro 2012 and doesnt want to talk about it til after Euro 2012. After Euro 2012 he goes on holiday so doesnt want to talk til he comes back. When he comes back, the season starts and he justs want to concentrate on the season ahead.

Me :bow:

RVPs gone

Özim
27-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Me :bow:

RVPs gone
Looks a likely scenario to me, we've seen this all before with our top players, if he wanted to stay he'd have signed there's no reason you wouldn't.

Wenger will say we don't want to sell our best players etc but we all know it's total b*llocks he's done it many time before...there's compulsive liars out there that come out with less BS.

If we do go for the German, I'd say it's because he's gonna replace RVP.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Looks a likely scenario to me, we've seen this all before with our top players, if he wanted to stay he'd have signed there's no reason you wouldn't.

Wenger will say we don't want to sell our best players etc but we all know it's total b*llocks he's done it many time before...there's compulsive liars out there that come out with less BS.

If we do go for the German, I'd say it's because he's gonna replace RVP.

Well if he goes we get a quality younger replacement in Podoldki don't see the problem tbh.

But that Article don't tell me nothing new from what we knew at the beggining of the season.

RVP always said he'd not sign a deal till the end od the season and he saw good players coming in.

Nothing has changed.

GunnerFan4Life
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Chris Wheatley ‏ @GoonerTalk
Robin van Persie 'can't wait' to play with Lukas Podolski next season for #AFC. Further evidence that he isn't leaving.

None of this twitter source rubbish please....

Cripps_orig
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Twitter :lol:

Syn
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
None of this twitter source rubbish please....

It is twitter rubbish though isn't it?

McNamara That Ghost...
03-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Indeed, he can't wait because he is off. :ninja:

Xhaka Can’t
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
It is twitter rubbish though isn't it?

It is what it is.

Letters
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
There's a very, very obvious reason why you wouldn't. Well, two reasons.
One is it's still unclear whether we'll be in the CL next year. It's in our hands to finish 3rd but we might well bugger that up.
If we finish 4th then qualification is then dependant on the CL Final result. Clearly a player at his level would want to be at a club who are in the CL.

Secondly, if I were RvP I'd be looking at the club showing some ambition in the summer. Why would you put pen to paper right at the start of the summer when it's so unclear what business, or lack thereof, we may do in the transfer window?

Olivier's xmas twist
03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
There's a very, very obvious reason why you wouldn't. Well, two reasons.
One is it's still unclear whether we'll be in the CL next year. It's in our hands to finish 3rd but we might well bugger that up.
If we finish 4th then qualification is then dependant on the CL Final result. Clearly a player at his level would want to be at a club who are in the CL.

Secondly, if I were RvP I'd be looking at the club showing some ambition in the summer. Why would you put pen to paper right at the start of the summer when it's so unclear what business, or lack thereof, we may do in the transfer window?

Just to add to this, These final 2 games is likely to see RVP testing the lads and how much they want him to play.

keeping RVP should be motiavtion for the lads to get 3rd in the next 2 games and AW too.

Cripps_orig
03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie admits he "will always feel a Gunner" whatever the outcome of pivotal contract talks due to take place this summer.

The Netherlands international spoke after receiving the Football Writers' Player of the Year award in recognition of his fine form this term which has seen him hit 27 Premier League goals.

And he described the moment he signed for the club eight years ago using former vice-chairman David Dein's 'lucky' pen.

"[Dennis] Bergkamp signed with it. [Thierry] Henry did. [Patrick] Vieira did," he said.

"My heart was running hard for Arsenal. Whatever happens with me I'll always feel a Gunner."

He also praised former team-mates Vieira, Henry, Tony Adams and Cesc Fabregas in his acceptance speech, hailing them as "incredible captains" for Arsenal.

He said: "It makes me very proud to be here, I have seen the list [of previous winners], and for me, I never really thought I would be sitting here winning this trophy.
"But even this season I was not really thinking about winning a trophy for myself, I was just playing because I love it and for Arsenal to finish as high as possible in the league.

"When I found out I had actually won it, I was a bit surprised, and was like 'what me? really?'

"It makes me really proud to be part of that history."

The Dutchman went on to thank the assembled journalists for their votes, saying that they know the game best as they watch every match.

He added: "The writers know everything about the season because they have seen every single game, analysed ever goal, every move, they know everything about you.

"They are doing interviews with me and other players, they get a clear picture of who is the best player, which is why it means so much that these guys have voted for me."

The striker's future is currently uncertain, with his contract set to expire in 2013 and Manchester City reportedly ready to make a summer move.

And the 28-year-old admitted that no talks have yet been scheduled with the Gunners hierarchy regarding an extension.

He added: "We still have to set a date after the end of the season for meeting with [Ivan] Gazidis and the boss [Arsene Wenger].

"Arsenal are an unbelievable club and the player I am today is because of Arsenal."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/03/3079002/i-will-always-feel-a-gunner-arsenal-captain-van-persie

Olivier's xmas twist
03-05-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/03/3079002/i-will-always-feel-a-gunner-arsenal-captain-van-persie

Well lets hope he keeps his mind off his future and on the task in hand in the next 2 games.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Sounds a bit final, one step forwards two back if we lose RvP. Hopefully PHW makes the final payment on his yacht the Jolly Well Rogered before the summer and RvP can stay.

Syn
04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Been rubbish recently. We've seen the best of him. Would've secured 3rd two games ago had he turned up in April.

But seriously, it's a tricky situation because I don't think top clubs will want him. 29 is a horrible age to sign a player because, as Wenger says, it offers you no value for money at all ( Arteta :bow: ).

But it has all been discussed. I think the 'nightmare scenario' presented on the TC podcast this week is quite likely. It'll linger on until July which will be a disaster.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Been rubbish recently. We've seen the best of him. Would've secured 3rd two games ago had he turned up in April.

But seriously, it's a tricky situation because I don't think top clubs will want him. 29 is a horrible age to sign a player because, as Wenger says, it offers you no value for money at all ( Arteta :bow: ). But it has all been discussed. I think the 'nightmare scenario' presented on the TC podcast this week is quite likely. It'll linger on until July which will be a disaster.

Intresting and with his Injury record not sure many would want to take a masive gamble, we have been lucky with him this season but who knows with him and i can see that stop us getting a top fee for him if we did sell him.

IBK
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
This 'don't have time to talk' thing spouted by players is total crap. Its the players' agents and advisers that do the negotiations, and they will hold talks when they are told to.

RVP wants to wait and see a) Whether we get CL football, b) Whether we make any more signings and c) What other interest comes in for him so he can gauge his value. Perfectly sensible and reasonable for a player in his position at a club in our position.

The difference between him and Fabregas is that Arsenal is clearly his favourite club. The difference between him and Nasri is that he has actually done something for us that justifies us breaking the bank to keep him (and he's not a ****).

The club has been good to RVP and one would like to think that there is a basic desire to stay that wasn't there with those little shits last Summer. So if the club can perform reasonably in each of the areas above, there's reason to be hopeful. If not then he will leave - and the concern for us will be wider than losing our best player and captain (again) - it will be that we have basically thrown in the towel as regards being a trophy winning team - at least for the forseeable future.

Joker
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Top clubs will want him given his goalscoring record. If you look at his Arsenal career, he has had 209 starts and 130 goals. He had trouble staying injury free but he was always capable of 1 in 2 and he's proved that. This will probably be his last major contract, and I don't think European clubs will be put off by the fact that he'll be 29. His game isn't based on speed anyway.

Olivier's xmas twist
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Top clubs will want him given his goalscoring record. If you look at his Arsenal career, he has had 209 starts and 130 goals. He had trouble staying injury free but he was always capable of 1 in 2 and he's proved that. This will probably be his last major contract, and I don't think European clubs will be put off by the fact that he'll be 29. His game isn't based on speed anyway.

Theirs wanting him and then theirs spending big on him. anyone manager with a brain wants him i don't think you'd find many who turn him down, but its how much they pay for him if we were to sell him.

He'd be good in Italy and have another 5-6 years. But in spain can't see him lasting that long.

Marc Overmars
04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
RVP is the sort of striker who could play well into this 30's, he's comfortable dropping deep and playing between attack and midfield. Although I'm not sure if he'd be given that opportunity in Spain, Barca or Madrid would use him for 3 years tops before moving him on. Italy is probably where he would be given more security.

Just sign up here and become a legend FFS.

-Xs-
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
If he goes, he goes. I just hope we refuse to sell to another PL club if he does indeed wish to go

Syn
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd go one further - selling him to a PL club should be out of question. But even if he wants to go abroad, tell him to stay and let him go the year after for a free. We'll miss out on around £15-20m but what we gain from him staying another year would be probably be even greater.

But honestly I reckon no-one wants him. It's not wishful thinking it's just thinking. But we'll see.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
RVP. :bow:

One of a select few to make it 30 in a league season. Shame there was no point to it in the end. Well, alright one point.

Master Splinter
05-05-2012, 02:55 PM
He could have had thirty-five in the last month alone.

Bring back Vela and Dennis Bendtner tbh.

Newguy
05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I feel bad for him and would hate to be in his position (not the getting paid thousands to play football bit obviously) with the decision he has to make. It's obvious he loves the club, but could you blame him for leaving. I still think he'll stay if we get CL football, but we also need CL football to get the likes of Mvilla (who on todays performance we seriously need) to the club. Where would he go and if he did win something would it be the same?? I think he'll stay.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't think he'll stay if we miss out on CL football. Disasterous result today, potentially.

milla
05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I feel bad for him and would hate to be in his position (not the getting paid thousands to play football bit obviously) with the decision he has to make. It's obvious he loves the club, but could you blame him for leaving. I still think he'll stay if we get CL football, but we also need CL football to get the likes of Mvilla (who on todays performance we seriously need) to the club. Where would he go and if he did win something would it be the same?? I think he'll stay.

Missing CL could actually do some good to this team. Give the likes of RVP, Rosicky and Feo more time to recover. The kids will also benefit from playing Europa League games while the first team solely focus on PL. :coffee:

Newguy
05-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Actually, no i think he'll leave, especially if him saying that "whatever happens, he'll always feel like a gunner" is true. Thats classic, "i love the club, but I'm ambitious and I havent got much time left".

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I can't work out if we're fortunate he stayed fit for this season, or really horribly unlucky he couldn't have stayed fit for the previous six.

It's a long wait to find out if we get Champions League football, if as is now expected, we don't finish third. Not only until the Champions League final (if it goes well) then another wait until late August. I think he'd have decided before then.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Missing CL could actually do some good to this team. Give the likes of RVP, Rosicky and Feo more time to recover. The kids will also benefit from playing Europa League games while the first team solely focus on PL. :coffee:

And what has long breaks between games helped to achieve in the last few weeks of the season? I'd hate for us to treat the Europa League like shit really.

Joker
05-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd go one further - selling him to a PL club should be out of question. But even if he wants to go abroad, tell him to stay and let him go the year after for a free. We'll miss out on around £15-20m but what we gain from him staying another year would be probably be even greater.

But honestly I reckon no-one wants him. It's not wishful thinking it's just thinking. But we'll see.

Why wouldn't anyone want a striker who has 37 goals and 14 assists in 47 games this season? 29 isn't that old anyway.

Some people have been bemoaning his misses in the last month, but I've always said he's not the most clinical striker in the world, and will miss chances. I said that at the start of the season when people were having a pop at me. However, despite that weakness in his game we can't fault his contribution this season. He's been involved in 60% of our goals this season, through scoring or assisting. Okay, his form has dropped off in the last month or so, but no one can say that's why we haven't secured 3rd place yet. Look at the rest of the squad for failing to step up to the plate when it really mattered.

Marc Overmars
05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
And what has long breaks between games helped to achieve in the last few weeks of the season? I'd hate for us to treat the Europa League like shit really.

Unfortunatley we probably would. The club surely won't get away with charging CL prices for a lesser product. Wouldn't surprise me if the games were discounted and Wenget rotated, a lot.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Ah yeah I have no doubts that we would. And then lose the next league game anyway.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2nltpu0.jpg

milla
05-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Well the long breaks clearly helped the unbeaten side few years back. The whole point is to give few key players proper rest to recover, the rest will play the in all competition. The first half of Europa league is piss poor, it is not worth starting your key players against some pub team from Moldova. :coffee:

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 03:40 PM
It doesn't work like that though, in theory it does but in practice we just end up losing our focus. Our winning run in 03/04 (nine in a row) came at a time when we were involved in all competitions; towards the very end of the season we were stuttering but the league had already been sewn up by then. We only won four out of the last nine games.

Spuds played their pub teamers for most of the competition and ended up bombing out in the group stage. How did the subsequent lack of game time benefit them from February onwards? It didn't.

notwist
05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Forget holding him to the last year of his contract. He can get us for breach anyway. He signed to play football, not to join Billy Smart's Circus.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
It doesn't work like that though, in theory it does but in practice we just end up losing our focus. Our winning run in 03/04 (nine in a row) came at a time when we were involved in all competitions; towards the very end of the season we were stuttering but the league had already been sewn up by then. We only won four out of the last nine games.

Spuds played their pub teamers for most of the competition and ended up bombing out in the group stage. How did the subsequent lack of game time benefit them from February onwards? It didn't.

Don't think we need to play our key players ealry on that does not mean We should take the Europa league lightly if we play in it thats silly.

As for RVP Well id not blame him if he left if we did nt get CL id not blame if if he left even if we did.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Wininng begets winning.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Wininng begets winning.

Yes it does and we should go all out to win it but i don't see the need to play the top players against shite from eastern Europe etc.

Mind you the kids would show more heart the these lot anyways.

Syn
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
They can't be totally 'shite'. Or to put it another way, if you can't beat Norwich and Wigan at home when you have to, you can't play a weakened side against Slavia Bratislova and expect to win easy.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I never said anything about winning easy. But in the earlier rounds their are some poor teams in it are their not.

Not saying we should play the kids but i don't think we need to play a full team as long as we got the balance right.

If were still in it after xmas then it would be silly not to play a full team in it.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Do we really think as early as September playing in the Europa League would impinge on the league to any great extent? It's counter-intuitive anyway because let's suppose we are in those competitions later on in the season, the lack of knowledge and practice on how to cope with multiple fixtures in a week will come to the fore.

There are poor teams but it's not a competition completely filled with dross and we'd theoretically level the playing field anyway. For example there's a good chance we could end up running in to a side like Malaga or Levante.

I just don't how we've worked ourselves in to the position to treat so many trophies with disdain, especially when we might lose out on the one 'trophy' we supposedly aim for each season.

Syn
05-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't know, Charlie. I haven't been following the UEFA Cup in the last few years - did the year Zenit won it and that was great.

Waiting for the result from tomorrow's game before I start thinking about us playing in the UEFA Cup next year. And if I do think about it, I probably won't be thinking for long. It is what it is. From the fans' point of view, can't beat a good cup run for entertainment - even if it isn't a good signal of quality.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know, Charlie. I haven't been following the UEFA Cup in the last few years - did the year Zenit won it and that was great.

Waiting for the result from tomorrow's game before I start thinking about us playing in the UEFA Cup next year. And if I do think about it, I probably won't be thinking for long. It is what it is. From the fans' point of view, can't beat a good cup run for entertainment - even if it isn't a good signal of quality.

Fair enough.

We really have to hope Bayern win the CL now tbh.

selassie
05-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Assuming we miss out on CL which is looking increasingly likely, Ironically I dont think we're good enough to win the Uefa Cup either, look at United & Citeh this season.

Cripps_orig
05-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you RVP

Tried your best but with an inept manager and an awful team around you, there was no hope.

Dont blame you for going

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Assuming we miss out on CL which is looking increasingly likely, Ironically I dont think we're good enough to the Uefa Cup either, look at United & Citeh this season.

Of course were good enough its how much we want it and are up for it.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Thank you RVP

Tried your best but with an inept manager and an awful team around you, there was no hope.

Dont blame you for going

[/thread]

Olivier's xmas twist
05-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Thank you RVP

Dont blame you for going

Don't forget the money hungry board or are they excempt.

fakeyank
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Don't forget the money hungry board or are they excempt.

Board is always money hungry. Problem is the money hungry manager.

Xhaka Can’t
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I stayed for the lap of appreciation. I believed at the time that I had seen the last of Van Persie as and Arsenal player at the Emirates.

KSE Comedy Club
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
As much as I want him to stay I can't help but feel today, that if he doesn't sign a new contract, then fuck him tbh.

Regardless of this seasons excellent form, he fucking owes this club big time. We stuck with him throughout those 4 or 5 years where he only managed to play 10 games a season. Any other club would have sold him on.

For me, it's about time he replayed some of that faith and stuck by the club tbh.

We are nearly there, close to winning things again. Just need those all important additions and for rvp to sign on and we'll be a force next season.

GP
06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
As much as I want him to stay I can't help but feel today, that if he doesn't sign a new contract, then fuck him tbh.

Regardless of this seasons excellent form, he fucking owes this club big time. We stuck with him throughout those 4 or 5 years where he only managed to play 10 games a season. Any other club would have sold him on.

For me, it's about time he replayed some of that faith and stuck by the club tbh.

We are nearly there, close to winning things again. Just need those all important additions and for rvp to sign on and we'll be a force next season.

Yep, pretty much.

If he leaves now, after essentially giving us one season, then fuck him.

Fuck him in the butt.

Joker
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Tbh I don't think we're anywhere near winning any trophies. We've kept saying for the last 5-6 years that, oh if we only add a few more top quality players we'll be capable of winning something finally, and it hasn't materialised. When we could have signed players top calibre players we instead got Bischoff, Chamakh, Gervinho, Squillaci, Silvestre, Park. Past evidence doesn't seem to suggest Wenger's capable of making the necessary changes to the squad that will really see us push on. He's reluctant to admit his youth project has failed, which is why he persevered with Denilson, Diaby and now players like Ramsey. Because of this, the squad is too big and there isn't enough room to bring in top players (not that I'd trust Wenger's judgement on this anyway).

Joker
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Yep, pretty much.

If he leaves now, after essentially giving us one season, then fuck him.

Fuck him in the butt.

He's not essentially given us only one season, the guy's got 132 goals over his whole Arsenal career. He's our 8th top goalscorer in our history and only needs about 7 more to climb to 5th. At the start of the season people were comparing him to Messi which was OTT because he's nowhere near that level, but now some people seem to be annoyed that he may leave, when it's completely understandable why, for the sake of his career, he'll want to leave the sinking ship. There's very little ambition beyond financial prudence for the board and manager, and for a top player nearing his 30th birthday, this must be frustrating.

KSE Comedy Club
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Tbh I don't think we're anywhere near winning any trophies. We've kept saying for the last 5-6 years that, oh if we only add a few more top quality players we'll be capable of winning something finally, and it hasn't materialised. When we could have signed players top calibre players we instead got Bischoff, Chamakh, Gervinho, Squillaci, Silvestre, Park. Past evidence doesn't seem to suggest Wenger's capable of making the necessary changes to the squad that will really see us push on. He's reluctant to admit his youth project has failed, which is why he persevered with Denilson, Diaby and now players like Ramsey. Because of this, the squad is too big and there isn't enough room to bring in top players (not that I'd trust Wenger's judgement on this anyway).Podolski.

GP
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
He's not essentially given us only one season, the guy's got 132 goals over his whole Arsenal career. He's our 8th top goalscorer in our history and only needs about 7 more to climb to 5th. At the start of the season people were comparing him to Messi which was OTT because he's nowhere near that level, but now some people seem to be annoyed that he may leave, when it's completely understandable why, for the sake of his career, he'll want to leave the sinking ship. There's very little ambition beyond financial prudence for the board and manager, and for a top player nearing his 30th birthday, this must be frustrating.

I don't give a fuck about any of that, and neither should you.

I support Arsenal. If he's going to leave now after the club have been so patient with him, then he can go fuck himself.

KSE Comedy Club
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
He's not essentially given us only one season, the guy's got 132 goals over his whole Arsenal career. He's our 8th top goalscorer in our history and only needs about 7 more to climb to 5th. At the start of the season people were comparing him to Messi which was OTT because he's nowhere near that level, but now some people seem to be annoyed that he may leave, when it's completely understandable why, for the sake of his career, he'll want to leave the sinking ship. There's very little ambition beyond financial prudence for the board and manager, and for a top player nearing his 30th birthday, this must be frustrating.its not about how many goals he's scored.

He hardly played for the first 5 years he was here, most other top clubs would have binned him off after 2 or 3.

I'm tired of hearing the argument that we shouldn't blame 'x player' for wanting to leave to win trophies, money, etc. they wouldnt be wanted by other top clubs if their careers weren't started and developed with us first with all the faith shown and put in them.

Power n Glory
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Why not direct all that frustration towards board and manager? A players career is short and if Robin has a chance to win trophies elsewhere then I have no problem with it and wish him well. He's been injured a lot but he doesn't owe us anything. Our medical staff are so incompetent and have such a poor record that I can't help but think they've screwed Robin over a few times with poor advice.

We keep having these sort of conversations about playere year after year and it's as if fans can't recognise the problem. When playere like Vieira, Pires, Henry and Sol left, it was the same sort of reaction from the fans. Outrage as if they were wrong to want to leave. But they could see the signs and knew the manager and staff better than anyone else. Wenger's youth project was going to be unsuccessful and they could see it early because the man has no tactics, relies on others to coach discipline and needs strong characters in the dressing room. We get angry when they want to leave but the bitterness usually passes. It's a same trend and there is no point in blaming the players anymore. It's the management.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't give a fuck about any of that, and neither should you.

I support Arsenal. If he's going to leave now after the club have been so patient with him, then he can go fuck himself.

Pretty much and thats the wya it should always be, once a player leaves the club fuck him. Yes RVP has had some good times and scored some good goals but if he goals the fans will still be chanting for the team amd its players.

I have to say the idea of Joker trying to take the mora; High ground and saying we should be nice to RVP is laughable since he has been the one mugging him off all season.

Özim
06-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Another way to look at it is, you only have one career, you're in your late 20's and time is running out...do you:
a) Stick with a club with a clueless manager who prides himself in getting 4th place, which has no hope of picking up any trophies in the near future (meaning you'll have almost nothing to show for your career).
b) Move on, have a chance of winning trophies, play with better players and earn more money

Hard one that.

Özim
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
its not about how many goals he's scored.

He hardly played for the first 5 years he was here, most other top clubs would have binned him off after 2 or 3.

I'm tired of hearing the argument that we shouldn't blame 'x player' for wanting to leave to win trophies, money, etc. they wouldnt be wanted by other top clubs if their careers weren't started and developed with us first with all the faith shown and put in them.
2 things here, his injuries were not his fault and it was Wenger's choice to stick with him..nobody made him do that.

Marc Overmars
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
The only reason we're even talking about potentially qualifying for the CL is RVP. I have never seen a single player with this much importance and influence over a season. This is better than Henry 03/04 relative to the strength of side he played in.

I can't begrudge him if he wanted to leave, without him we'd be an incredibly poor side.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Another way to look at it is, you only have one career, you're in your late 20's and time is running out...do you:
a) Stick with a club with a clueless manager who prides himself in getting 4th place, which has no hope of picking up any trophies in the near future (meaning you'll have almost nothing to show for your career).
b) Move on, have a chance of winning trophies, play with better players and earn more money

Hard one that.

jeebus never said he should not move on did he or said he blame him if he did.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
The only reason we're even talking about potentially qualifying for the CL is RVP. I have never seen a single player with this much importance and influence over a season. This is better than Henry 03/04 relative to the strength of side he played in.

I can't begrudge him if he wanted to leave, without him we'd be an incredibly poor side.

No one said they would either.

Marc Overmars
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah I know, but thanks for that.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
2 things here, his injuries were not his fault and it was Wenger's choice to stick with him..nobody made him do that.

Thats the most stpuid thing to say ever and you know it but i suppose you have to have a dig at Wenger any time you can eh?

no one would have bought RVP when he was that injured, and its not that he was still a bad player as proved had Wenger got rid you'd be the 1st moaning as usual.

Özim
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Wrong:

Özim
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Thats the most stpuid thing to say ever and you know it but i suppose you have to have a dig at Wenger any time you can eh?

no one would have bought RVP when he was that injured, and its not that he was still a bad player as proved had Wenger got rid you'd be the 1st moaning as usual.
a) You don't have to give him a new contract
b) It's not sticking by him then is it, if the point you're making is valid we had no choice
c) Wenger is a plank and he deserves it

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Wrong:

No he said if he does not sign a new contract them fuck him, that does not mean he'd want the player to move to a diffrent club.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
a) You don't have to give him a new contractb) It's not sticking by him then is it, if the point you're making is valid we had no choice
c) Wenger is a plank and he deserves it

Oh the irony of that.

Özim
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh the irony of that.
There's no irony there.

Özim
06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
No he said if he does not sign a new contract them fuck him, that does not mean he'd want the player to move to a diffrent club.
Your point makes no sense, you said:

Clearly you're saying he never said RVP should not move, or that he would blame him if he did.

In that case he'd be f*cked off with him if he didn't sign a new contract, if he doesn't sign he'll move on in all likelyness as we'll have to cash in rather than lose him for free.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Your point makes no sense, you said:

Clearly you're saying he never said RVP should not move, or that he would blame him if he did.

In that case he'd be f*cked off with him if he didn't sign a new contract, if he doesn't sign he'll move on in all likelyness as we'll have to cash in rather than lose him for free.

What im saying it id doubt Jeebus wants him to go. But was just saying if RVP did not sign a contract then Fuck him basically. Its more of a no one is bigger then the club thing.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
There's no irony there.

a) You don't have to give him a new contract

Of course their is Irony there because right now i doubt one gooner would say this lol.

selassie
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I personally think he'll leave if we either don't make CL or don't significantly strengthen the team.

Özim
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Of course their is Irony there because right now i doubt one gooner would say this lol.
Well obviously but at the time this wasn't the case, many thought we should have got rid.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I think hell leave even if we do make the CL. RVP isnt stupid - he cant have failed to see over the last few matches that we are simply no match for the top teams. He hasnt won anything and is one of the world's best players. If he was 23 Id say he would stay a bit but this is possibly his last contract ( with all his previous injuries I cant see how he would play into his mid-30s) and he can make shit loads of money elsewhere. He may not go to a British club but could chance his arm at one of the Spanish clubs for example. Much will depend on whether we buy the two Dutch defenders we are after. If we do, that could well encourage RVP to stay.

I personally think he'll leave if we either don't make CL or don't significantly strengthen the team.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I think hell leave even if we do make the CL. RVP isnt stupid - he cant have failed to see over the last few matches that we are simply no match for the top teams. He hasnt won anything and is one of the world's best players. If he was 23 Id say he would stay a bit but this is possibly his last contract ( with all his previous injuries I cant see how he would play into his mid-30s) and he can make shit loads of money elsewhere. He may not go to a British club but could chance his arm at one of the Spanish clubs for example. Much will depend on whether we buy the two Dutch defenders we are after. If we do, that could well encourage RVP to stay.

Then he should have gone last summer if he thought that.

selassie
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Charlie, to be fair, he's been playing at a "world class" level this season, he wasn't last season, though he was very good.

We're just lucky to have him at the moment, he's several levels above anybody else in the squad and if we lose him and predictably don't replace him then I actually feel we'll be at the level of Everton or Liverpool, basically a top 6 side at best.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
There's a huge difference between this season and last with RVP. Last season, as with many before, he was injured. Im not even sure many clubs would have been interested. Now he has proved that he can go a whole season without getting injured, has won both Player of the Year awards and is one of the hottest players on the planet. Huge difference. Also his contract now only has a year to go whereas last season he was just past midway through it.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
There's a huge difference between this season and last with RVP. Last season, as with many before, he was injured. Im not even sure many clubs would have been interested. Now he has proved that he can go a whole season without getting injured, has won both Player of the Year awards and is one of the hottest players on the planet. Huge difference. Also his contract now only has a year to go whereas last season he was just past midway through it.

I know that, but if he wanted to go because of the players would he not have pushed for a move in the summer, i mean he saw the state of the team and knew what could happen.

jelgoon
06-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Its a difficult one. Maybe last season he felt he hadnt played much and didnt want to rock the boat after the club had been so patient with him. I think he probably still thinks that but if a huge club was to come in for him it may turn his head.

I know that, but if he wanted to go because of the players would he not have pushed for a move in the summer, i mean he saw the state of the team and knew what could happen.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Its a difficult one. Maybe last season he felt he hadnt played much and didnt want to rock the boat after the club had been so patient with him. I think he probably still thinks that but if a huge club was to come in for him it may turn his head.

Possibly.

Olivier's xmas twist
06-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Manchester City are offering Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, 28, a £250,000-a-week deal to lead their attack.

Full story: Metro

City can feck off

www.metro.co.uk

Cripps_orig
06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Wouldnt blame him if he goes

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
City can feck off

www.metro.co.uk

This is why shitty are a joke team, they have several strikers who are already on that sort of money and buying up more to weaken their opponents is a tactic open to them but nobody else, not even the chavs to the same degree. And all because they are run by a bunch of crooks who have somehow cornered the natural resources of a whole nation.

Or, the metro has just made that up out of thin air.

Can't see RvP going to another PL team, that would be a kick in the teeth for us and I don't get the impression he's an utter, utter **** like lesbian or the whore.

Ollie the Optimist
12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
some french journalist is claiming that he knows that RVP will tell the team and us tomorrow that he is staying.

Ollie the Optimist
12-05-2012, 10:37 PM
also his wife has said to the mirror, that they are happy in london and dont want to go

Olivier's xmas twist
13-05-2012, 10:21 AM
This is why shitty are a joke team, they have several strikers who are already on that sort of money and buying up more to weaken their opponents is a tactic open to them but nobody else, not even the chavs to the same degree. And all because they are run by a bunch of crooks who have somehow cornered the natural resources of a whole nation.

Its ok though they
Can't see RvP going to another PL team, that would be a kick in the teeth for us and I don't get the impression he's an utter, utter **** like lesbian or the whore.

Pretty much.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-05-2012, 10:47 AM
also his wife has said to the mirror, that they are happy in london and dont want to go

Robin van Persie's wife, Bouchra, insists the family are happy with life in London - suggesting the Arsenal captain will stay at the EmiratesRobin van Persie will be staying at Arsenal – if his wife and mother get their way.

It’s the news every Gunner fan wants to hear and there will be in-depth contract talks between the club and their 28-year-old star striker this summer.

But as far as Robin’s wife Bouchra is concerned, their family comes first.

She said: “We have been in *London for eight years now. As a family, we love it here.

“Robin is captain of Arsenal and, as many people claim, the leader of the Arsenal team.

“Arsenal believed in Robin when he was young and when he was considered as a bit of a rebel.

“We don’t want to upset things at home either. Our kids, Shaqueel and Dina, go to school here in London. And they are just as happy as we are.

“We still expect to sit down after this season is over and have a look at the future.

“We have to make some *decisions at some point. But it is not just about Robin. He also thinks about us, his children and me.

“I also love it that everyone at *Arsenal respects him. At the *training ground, at the stadium, his teammates, the fans.

“Everyone comes up to me all the time to tell me how happy they are with him.

“I also see that Robin is really kind to everyone at Arsenal in *return. As a skipper should be!

“A good captain should be *concerned about the club, about the team, about everything *involving Arsenal. Oh, and in the meantime, I have been promoted to ‘skip’s wife’.”

Even Van Persie’s mother, Jose, has joined the clamour for him to stay.

She said: “Arsenal is a *beautiful club. They have no debts and Robin is being worshipped there.

“I honestly feel that the fans and the people at the club really love him. That is worth so much, too.

“When we go to Arsenal and we walk into the stadium with him, it is electrifying.

“As a mum, that fills me with pride. It is really fantastic. When Robin’s granddad, my dad, was over at the Emirates for his (91st) birthday and we were taking pictures inside, I heard grown-up people behind me say: ‘We love Robin’. As a mum, I could not wish for a nicer thing.”

Van Persie, speaking to lifestyle Magazine ‘Heroes’ in Holland, *admits his mum is right.

“I have got to know everyone at the club. The kit man, the laundryman, everyone really. I know *everyone by name. I love all that.’’

Wife Bouchra added: “When it was his grandad’s birthday, Robin took the entire family to the
dressing room.

“His grandad went to sit in *Robin’s seat in the dressing room and walked through every room of the home team. He loved it.’’

Van Persie added: “My grandad also wanted to walk on the pitch. But as we all know, the grass is almost sacrosanct and nobody can walk on it after a game. Not even your family.

“But when our groundsman saw grandad standing on the *touchline, he said, ‘Robin, YOUR
grandad can step onto the pitch’. Well, you see, that’s Arsenal.”

Van Persie says he will let his family choose after his career is over if they want to live in England or head home to Holland.

He ended: “While I am playing, I realise that it will be mainly me who decides where we live.

“If my kids want to go back to *Holland, we will do. But that won’t be for another 10 years, I think.

“My kids speak better English than Dutch at this moment. They attend a real English school, not an international school.’’

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/robin-van-persies-wife-bouchra-830189

MRS Van Persie :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
13-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Italian champions Juventus will make a staggering £70million move for Robin van Persie.

Juventus are prepared to pay Arsenal a £30m transfer fee and give Van Persie a four-year deal worth around £180,000-a-week.

The Mirror revealed earlier this week that Van Persie was not keen on a move to Italy, but Juve are refusing to give up and are the first foreign club to make a serious push to sign the Gunners' captain this summer.

Arsenal are determined to keep Van Persie - manager Arsene Wenger insisted this week they will not sell this summer, the Dutchman is under contract until summer 2013 and Wenger is "confident" the player will stay - but that has not deterred interest from Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Real seemed to be the most likely destination if Van Persie was to leave, but there are doubts the Spanish club have the spending power required.

While United are watching developments closely, neighbours City believe Van Persie favours a move abroad if he decides to leave Arsenal.

Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta admitted his admiration for van Persie this week after hailing him a "great player."

Marotta confirmed Juve want a world class player and even though they were seen as outsiders - and still believe it will be hard to strike a deal - they are ready to break the bank to get their man.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/juventus-plot-70m-van-persie-829563

Özil's Panoramic View
13-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Sadly i can't see him refusing all of those very attractive offers that will be thrown at him, especially considering that he's approaching that now or never time in his career as it relates to winning some form of silverware.

I think he has strong sentimental attachment to the club, but I couldn't blame him or even frown upon him were he to accept one of those mega offers. Only thing I do hope is that if he does decide to move, he at least has the decency to go abroad.

Marc Overmars
13-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Last game in an Arsenal shirt today.

RVP. :bow:

What a player.

Dennis Bendtner
13-05-2012, 07:58 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18053598

That last bit sounds a bit. Erm. Dicey.

Niall_Quinn
13-05-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18053598

That last bit sounds a bit. Erm. Dicey.

Dicey? Sounds like a goodbye. Two steps backwards and one step back. If he goes we'll still have that gash Chamakh I suppose, and Song can play there.

milla
13-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Dicey? Sounds like a goodbye. Two steps backwards and one step back. If he goes we'll still have that gash Chamakh I suppose, and Song can play there.

And Diaby. :coffee:

Syn
13-05-2012, 08:11 PM
The "No matter what happens, I will always love this club" thing seems to get people worried. He has said that a few times now. I don't know, I think his negotiating position would be strengthened if he gave nothing away - he seems to be doing just that.

From the club's perspective, I still think it's in our hands.

Wenger said this the other day:

"People speak like our position is not important. Our position is very important. Anyway, Robin is not at the end of his contract".

I think it'll boil down to money. Fans go on about trophies and playing with other world class players...nah. It's money. And status. He's the king here and he won't get that anywhere else - he knows it. And if we chuck about £150k a week at him, I reckon there's no chance he is turning that down. But whether Gazidis and Wenger feel he is worth a 4 year contract at £150k a week is the crucial issue.

Basically - I'm more worried about how serious Arsenal are to keep him at the club as opposed to how much Robin wants to stay. Wenger's "29 is the worse age to give a big contract" talk earlier on in the season was scary.

GP
13-05-2012, 08:14 PM
The "No matter what happens, I will always love this club" thing seems to get people worried. He has said that a few times now. I don't know, I think his negotiating position would be strengthened if he gave nothing away - he seems to be doing just that.

From the club's perspective, I still think it's in our hands.

Wenger said this the other day:

I think it'll boil down to money. Fans go on about trophies and playing with other world class players...nah. It's money. And status. He's the king here and he won't get that anywhere else - he knows it. And if we chuck about £150k a week at him, I reckon there's no chance he is turning that down. But whether Gazidis and Wenger feel he is worth a 4 year contract at £150k a week is the crucial issue.

Basically - I'm more worried about how serious Arsenal are to keep him at the club as opposed to how much Robin wants to stay. Wenger's "29 is the worse age to give a big contract" talk earlier on in the season was scary.

Well that's just it. That's a £31m investment, not something to be taken lightly.

Marc Overmars
13-05-2012, 08:23 PM
In this day and age, 150k is probably standard for a player of RVP's importance and stature. If there's one player we should probably break our wage structure for, it's him. Our debt is on the slide now and it's about time we invested the cash profits in the team.

It's obscene money but this is football now. Lose RVP and we might as well give up.

Syn
13-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Well that's just it. That's a £31m investment, not something to be taken lightly.

It's not, and tbh I don't reckon he'll have another season like this. There's a fair chance he could pick up a long term injury or just remain off the boil as he has in the last month or so. But without getting all emo and alias about it, I don't think we could take Van Persie going. He's the captain of the club (a good captain) and his presence in the team is important. We have survived losing a load of talented players but Robin going would set us back. And everyone is getting a bit fucked off with it now. The years of basically every player spending 10-15 years at a club and having testimonials and shit are gone but we need a few of them now. No more rebuilding. We have a good spine at the club. There are good youngsters about. We've added a smart addition in Podolski. Lets see how far we can go.

I know it's probably not that simple and it might not be the rational thing to do but I'd just hand him what he wants. We need to get rid of this selling club tag. As I say, the £31m investment might not be worth £31m in terms of Van Persie's contribution on the pitch, but there's a bigger picture here. We need to try to push on and improve.

Keith
13-05-2012, 08:26 PM
He has something Cesc and Samir didn't have, two kids settled in good schools. He will stay or commute to Manchester every day.

Niall_Quinn
13-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Get rid of half the shit we have and don't even bother replacing them, give all the cash that raises to RvP. Job done. What difference would an empty place make where Chamakh or Diaby or Djourou or Almunia currently sit. That must easily be worth £150K (currently wasted) a week. We're always short of players anyway so we'd hardly notice. Just bring kids in when everyone is crocked like we usually do. Giving a free transfer to our asshole players would be worth it.

Syn
13-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Get rid of half the shit we have and don't even bother replacing them, give all the cash that raises to RvP. Job done. What difference would an empty place make where Chamakh or Diaby or Djourou or Almunia currently sit. That must easily be worth £150K (currently wasted) a week. We're always short of players anyway so we'd hardly notice. Just bring kids in when everyone is crocked like we usually do. Giving a free transfer to our asshole players would be worth it. It's difficult finding clubs that are willin to take them off your hands. The transfer fee isn't the problem, but who's matching Chamakh's £60k odd a week

milla
13-05-2012, 08:38 PM
It's difficult finding clubs that are willin to take them off your hands. The transfer fee isn't the problem, but who's matching Chamakh's £60k odd a week

Wumger will :lol:

Marc Overmars
13-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Chakma must have some suitors in France. Can't blame him and the others for hanging around like a bad smell though - earn shit loads and sit on the bench every week. That's the life.

GP
13-05-2012, 08:46 PM
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae331/mattlamb1982/patrick.jpg

Niall_Quinn
13-05-2012, 08:48 PM
It's difficult finding clubs that are willin to take them off your hands. The transfer fee isn't the problem, but who's matching Chamakh's £60k odd a week

Then pay a flat fee for somebody to take them. It's fucking sinful, £60K would pay my coke habit for months whereas a useless shit like Chamakh earns that in a WEEK!

Cripps_orig
13-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for everything RVP

Ollie the Optimist
14-05-2012, 05:43 PM
am i right in thinking that this season RVP has played in every game bar the odd cup game?

gunnerrrrr
14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Lets be honest, if you were RVP what would you do?

Take a look around, see a club which has been in a constant state of "transition", if we can even call it that, a club which has failed to keep the majoirty of its best players, a club which a Manager who is looking more and more past it......regardless of his love why at the age of 28 would he stay?

At the same time he can go to a number of top clubs and challenger for real honours, play with worldclass talent, and get paid close to £200k per week.

Players like Messi stay at one club, but a)the club is one of the best at challenging and winning honours, and b)pay him a shit load of cash....

Take your heart out of the equation and i think the chance of RVP being an Arsenal player next season is 0.001%.

Letters
14-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Earlier in the season I thought RvP would have been mad to stay but we finished 3rd, we're in the CL again, we're making some more positive noises in the transfer market.

If I was RvP I'd talk to the manager and see what his plans for the club are and whether I want to be part of that. I think that's what RvP is going to do.

Kano
14-05-2012, 09:27 PM
as much as i would love him to stay, i think he would be making a mistake to give his last few years at the top to arsenal, despite the 'position' we finished in.

i'm proud we turned our season round but even with the positive signals including changes to the staffing, to close a 20 point gap difference in a season is a huge ask. from what i can remember i don't think the gap between the 2nd and 3rd has been so large and if it has then it must've been quite a while ago.

we have always had the players to realistically challenge at least but the type of players we have brought in since the invincibles have required far more organisation from the management - organisation that has not been up to the level required to move the club forward.the new type of player/squad we tried to develop since our trophy successes meant a new approach from wenger and co, not just the same approach of letting them figure it out themselves. in a sense it has felt like firefighting every season just to maintain the bare minimum acceptable by most fans.

anyway, what i mean is that we may improve a bit next season but not enough to challenge for the title in a real sense and from a personal, selfish point of view which we all are entitled to at work, rvp needs to see that he will not win what he wants here, in the time he has left.

Injury Time
14-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Earlier in the season I thought RvP would have been mad to stay but we finished 3rd, we're in the CL again, we're making some more positive noises in the transfer market.

If I was RvP I'd talk to the manager and see what his plans for the club are and whether I want to be part of that. I think that's what RvP is going to do.
You saw the wave after Norwich, he gone, but has more class than Cesc "come get me!!!" Fabsgotgas and it puts both player and team in strongest negotiating position for salary to "drag him away" and sale price respectively. Heart hopes I'm wrong though.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-05-2012, 09:38 PM
as much as i would love him to stay, i think he would be making a mistake to give his last few years at the top to arsenal, despite the 'position' we finished in.

i'm proud we turned our season round but even with the positive signals including changes to the staffing, to close a 20 point gap difference in a season is a huge ask. from what i can remember i don't think the gap between the 2nd and 3rd has been so large and if it has then it must've been quite a while ago.

we have always had the players to realistically challenge at least but the type of players we have brought in since the invincibles have required far more organisation from the management - organisation that has not been up to the level required to move the club forward.the new type of player/squad we tried to develop since our trophy successes meant a new approach from wenger and co, not just the same approach of letting them figure it out themselves. in a sense it has felt like firefighting every season just to maintain the bare minimum acceptable by most fans.

anyway, what i mean is that we may improve a bit next season but not enough to challenge for the title in a real sense and from a personal, selfish point of view which we all are entitled to at work, rvp needs to see that he will not win what he wants here, in the time he has left.

Agreed. If anyone deserves to win stuff its him and with us i can't see it any time soon. At least he'll be gracious when he leaves and all the fans will back him.

Marc Overmars
14-05-2012, 09:47 PM
The bar is incredibly high if we want to challenge for the league again. This United side is not considered to be one of their best by any stretch, yet they chalked up 89 points and probably should have won the league from the position they were in. There is a huge amount of ground to make up next year.

Realistically Arsenal won't be challengers unless there is a dramatic upturn in consistency. I'd absolutley love and respect RVP if he decided to stay but on a professional level you'd have to understand his reasons for leaving.

KSE Comedy Club
14-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Well if he does go then we won't have a chance of winning anything.

If he stays then we certainly do have a chance next season.

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Robin van Persie’s agent has admitted to being a guest of Manchester City executive Brian Marwood at an Etihad Stadium match.

Kees Vos, the Arsenal striker’s principal representative, has told Goal.com that he was entertained by Marwood at City’s home ground “about three months ago”.

Vos denied that the meeting was to discuss a possible transfer for his superstar client to the newly crowned Premier League champions.

But the revelation will do little to dampen the fears among Arsenal fans about the uncertain future of their captain and talisman, who, as revealed by Goal.com on Monday, will hold crunch talks with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis on Wednesday.

“Yes, I was a guest of Marwood at Manchester City, that is true,” Vos told Goal.com. “It was about three months ago.

“I meet a lot of people. Why do I need to explain? I work for a company that has 450 clients and 350 international players.

“I am not just the agent for Robin. I also represent Thomas Vermaelen, Keisuke Honda, Jeremain Lens and Stefan de Vrij.”

Despite the denials of Vos, who is the chief executive officer of Holland-based Sports Entertainment Group, the players most likely to be of interest to City are clearly Van Persie and Vermaelen, who signed a new four-year Arsenal contract last October.

Marwood, City’s director of football administration, is the club’s most senior football executive and has worked closely in the past with manager Roberto Mancini and the club’s Abu Dhabi owners on blue-chip signings.

Van Persie will meet Wenger and Gazidis in London on Wednesday, when he is expected to tell the club either of his desire to either stay at Emirates Stadium or leave Arsenal this summer.

The Dutchman was non-committal about his future on Sunday afternoon after helping Arsenal finish third in the Premier League with a 3-2 win at West Brom. “We will have a chat next week and we will go from there,” he said.

It is believed that Arsenal will tell the Dutchman that they intend to hold him to a contract that runs until 2013 even if he refuses to sign the new deal that is set to be offered at the meeting.

Because of his age, Arsenal regard Van Persie, who turns 29 in August, as a £20 million asset and believe it is worth risking him running down his contract and selling him for nothing in a year’s time.

Real Madrid and Juventus are among the other clubs closely monitoring the striker’s contract talks.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/14/3103170/van-persie-agent-admits-to-manchester-city-meeting

Hes gone

Niall_Quinn
14-05-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/14/3103170/van-persie-agent-admits-to-manchester-city-meeting

Hes gone

Are you just WUMing or do you really want him gone?

Olivier's xmas twist
14-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Hes gone

So he went to a city game so what.

Ollie the Optimist
14-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Hes gone

yep the ever realiable goal.com who had a massive exclusive that rvp will hold contract talks. yep thats the kind of site we are talking about

Ollie the Optimist
14-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Striker Robin van Persie will open talks to determine his Arsenal future at a meeting with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis on Wednesday.
Discussions are scheduled to take place at Wenger's house at 10:30 BST.
It is unlikely that a final decision will be made before Van Persie links up with the Netherlands squad on Thursday.
The 28-year-old, who has a year left on his contract, ended the season with 41 goals in 53 games for club and country.
Of that tally, 37 came in 48 appearances for Arsenal and he was the Premier League's leading marksman with 30 goals in 38 matches.
A number of leading sides have registered interest in signing the Gunners captain, who was named Professional Footballers' Association and Football Writers' player of the year.
Speaking after Sunday's 3-2 victory at West Brom, which secured Arsenal's place in next season's Champions League, Van Persie refused to commit.
When asked if his future would be resolved quickly, he said: "You never know but Arsenal is a massive club. Whatever happens, I'll always love this club.
Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Van Persie to discuss future next week
"I have been playing here for eight years and I love this club. Whatever happens that will never change. We will sit down next week."
Van Persie was unwilling to open negotiations until the campaign had ended, with Champions League football a key consideration.
Another factor is Arsenal's transfer market activity, and Van Persie has been encouraged by the signing of Lukas Podolski from FC Cologne for £10.9m.
"Will Champions League football help to keep Van Persie?" said Wenger. "It makes it easier to attract good players and keep them."
Arsenal are expected to offer the Dutchman a new four-year deal that would break their current wage structure, while Van Persie and his family are happy in London.
But, with the Netherlands assembling for a pre-Euro 2012 training camp in Switzerland on 17 May, there is little time to reach an agreement.
Van Persie is open to the idea of playing in the tournament before making a decision.
Arsenal do not want a repeat of last summer, when Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri were sold after the season had started.
Van Persie was signed from Feyenoord for £2.75m in 2004 and team-mate Laurent Koscielny is confident he will stay.
"He will be here next season," said defender Koscielny, who scored Arsenal's winner at The Hawthorns.
"He was a fantastic captain, he was so important for us. He will be here scoring goals for us next season."

from bbc

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Are you just WUMing or do you really want him gone?No i dont want him gone.

I just expect him to go

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:35 PM
yep the ever realiable goal.com who had a massive exclusive that rvp will hold contract talks. yep thats the kind of site we are talking aboutCould have been worse

Could be Twitter

Twitter :haha:

Olivier's xmas twist
yep the ever realiable goal.com who had a massive exclusive that rvp will hold contract talks. yep thats the kind of site we are talking about

Pretty Much, I mean why would RVP go to a club where he won't play a lot of games a season with the strikers they have. If he does go then it will be aboard.

Cripps_orig
So he went to a city game so what.Oh dear

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Pretty Much, I mean why would RVP go to a club where he won't play a lot of games a season with the strikers they have. If he does go then it will be aboard.Money and trophies

And hes better than all of their strikers

I mean Aguero was a flop after all

:charlie:

Olivier's xmas twist
14-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh dear

What's your point he went to a city game does it mean he is going to them. He met barca people in the hotel does it mean he is going to them.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Money and trophies

And hes better than all of their strikers

I mean Aguero was a flop after all

:charlie:

And when they buy Higuain and Cavani too he will play less.

And i never said Aguero would flop.

Niall_Quinn
14-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I suppose battering this slimy leech of an agent to death would be frowned upon by the PC brigade?

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:42 PM
What's your point he went to a city game does it mean he is going to them. He met barca people in the hotel does it mean he is going to them.Probably

Cripps_orig
14-05-2012, 10:43 PM
And when they buy Higuain and Cavani too he will play less.

And i never said Aguero would flop.Hes better than both of them as well

Yes you did.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Hes better than both of them as well

Yes you did.

I said he might struggle in this league, hardly the same as flopping.

he might be better then both does not mean he start more games then them.

server too busy!
15-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Why does everyone say they can understand RvP going and he deserves silverware etc.

Yeah hes a great player, but this was his FIRST full season of playing for us. Before that it has been injury after injury and we've stood by him. He should show a bit of loyalty to us, if his fitness had of been a bit better over the years I think we would've won a lot more.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Why does everyone say they can understand RvP going and he deserves silverware etc.

Yeah hes a great player, but this was his FIRST full season of playing for us. Before that it has been injury after injury and we've stood by him. He should show a bit of loyalty to us, if his fitness had of been a bit better over the years I think we would've won a lot more.

Spot on.

Ive said before, he owes the club big time.

Dont care how good a player he is, the club stuck by him when others would have flogged him on to some obscure backwater pub team, like stoke or somewhere.

I know we are supposed to be classy arsenal fans and all that, but ffs, lets dump the soppy, romantic shit. RVP signs or he fucks off with two fingers up from every fan to wave him goodbye!

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2012, 08:25 AM

That line of thought predicates on there being no fault of the medical staff/physios at the club and personally, I would see that as unlikely.

If he is to stay it will be because he is 'the man' here and probably won't be anywhere else he'd realistically go to and also, that his kids and Bouchra are settled.

Özim
15-05-2012, 08:34 AM
I said he might struggle in this league, hardly the same as flopping.

he might be better then both does not mean he start more games then them.
Surely struggling = flopping?

Anyhow he's a top talent and his first season has been pretty good.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 08:40 AM

No.

Struggling would mean that he could still score goals but find it difficult to maintain over a full season and maybe say as much.

Flopping would mean that he was complete shite and couldnt score for toffee.

There is a clear difference.

IBK
15-05-2012, 08:43 AM
That line of thought predicates on there being no fault of the medical staff/physios at the club and personally, I would see that as unlikely.

If he is to stay it will be because he is 'the man' here and probably won't be anywhere else he'd realistically go to and also, that his kids and Bouchra are settled.

We all know that football is only the last season. Noone (least of all RVP's agents) will remember anything prior to August 2011. You are spot on re his reasons for staying. If he stays, it'll be because RVP has taken a conscious decision to stay at a club where he is unlikely to win a league title, rather than becasue we are likely to win anything.

Our big problem is that with Citeh; Real Madrid; Juve - RVP is more or less guaranteed to win things.

Being our captain has IMHO improved RVP's game, but he is such quality that I think he would prosper more or less anywhere.

I think that its more likely than not that he will leave us, and I think that that may well be the main reason we sorted Podolski so early. If he doesn;t sign and we get offers circa £20M I can see the club holding him to his contract - given the turmoil that was last Autumn. But if thelikes of Citeh offer £30M Arsenal will bite their hand off.

Özim
15-05-2012, 08:46 AM
No.

Struggling would mean that he could still score goals but find it difficult to maintain over a full season and maybe say as much.

Someone who cost that much but didn't score much would be considered a flop to be honest, just like Torres has been for Chelsea.

Letters
15-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Ive said before, he owes the club big time.
I'd say delivering CL football for us repays a lot of that.

IBK
15-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I'd say delivering CL football for us repays a lot of that.

Yup. This season he has repaid whatever he owes.

LDG
15-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Fuck all this shit about owing anybody anything.

It would just be nice to see ONE FUCKING PLAYER from the club that has made his name here, actually be loyal, and want to stay, FOR ONCE.

Fed up with these mercenary ****s.

IBK
15-05-2012, 08:57 AM

It would just be nice to see ONE FUCKING PLAYER from the club that has made his name here, actually be loyal, and want to stay, FOR ONCE.

It would be nice...but we are in 2012 here. Loyalty doesn't exist any more. Only money.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 08:57 AM
CL football was delivered via team effort, not just RVP's goals.

He didnt score against west brom, which was arguably the most vital game for us to win at the end of the season.

1 great season does not repay 7 years of warming the injury table

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Fed up with these mercenary ****s.Actually, yeah fuck it.

I agree with this!

Letters
15-05-2012, 08:59 AM

I don't think RvP would leave just for money like some of our players have.
He might want to leave to have the experience of playing for a different club, going to a club which could win more trophies. I think that's reasonable enough.

At some level they're just employees, we'd all leave our jobs if one came long with better prospects (and yes, OK, more money). I'm not sure how much anyone owes anything.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2012, 09:03 AM

He didnt score against west brom, which was arguably the most vital game for us to win at the end of the season.

Purely financially he probably has repayed it though tbf. We did only buy him for what, £3 million-ish after all. :ninja:

Marc Overmars
15-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't think RvP would leave just for money like some of our players have.
He might want to leave to have the experience of playing for a different club, going to a club which could win more trophies. I think that's reasonable enough.

At some level they're just employees, we'd all leave our jobs if one came long with better prospects (and yes, OK, more money). I'm not sure how much anyone owes anything.

Exactly. I don't think he owes us anything and I don't think we owe him anything either. I understand why he might want to leave because on a professional level it makes sense. Just like it did with Fabregas. It might be a bitter pill to swallow but I'm not sure if Arsenal is seen as a destination for the very top players anymore.

I'm sure RVP is not money motivated, the best players want to go to the clubs with the best chance of success, by definition these days that also means the richest clubs as well.

I fancy him to stay now we've sealed 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised if he says thanks but no thanks.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 09:16 AM
going to a club which could win more trophies.This is something that really grates with me.

I know we have plenty of issues at the club, but we could be winning trophies.

The whole team are guilty of dropping the ball in games throughout the season, RVP included, but if they could just change their mentality, they could go the extra mile and win.

I really dont like the idea that its ok for a player to leave to win trophies, when they are partly responsible for the lack of trophies at their current club.

Letters
15-05-2012, 09:26 AM
This is something that really grates with me.

I know we have plenty of issues at the club, but we could be winning trophies.

The whole team are guilty of dropping the ball in games throughout the season, RVP included, but if they could just change their mentality, they could go the extra mile and win.

I really dont like the idea that its ok for a player to leave to win trophies, when they are partly responsible for the lack of trophies at their current club.
I think a lot of that is fair enough but...well, coming back to the employee comparison. If you're at a company and you're working your socks off but the people around you aren't up to it and the company don't seem to be doing much about it then what do you do, stay and keep doing your best despite feeling that the company as a whole aren't going in the right direction or doing all that can to succeed?
The Norwich game was an example. RvP scores 2 goals to give us vital 3 points and then his colleagues go and bugger it up. I can understand RvP being frustrated in games like that.

GP
15-05-2012, 09:30 AM
I think it's difficult to compare footballers to any other job.

No other job has people pay a lot of money to show up and sing your name every week.

KSE Comedy Club
15-05-2012, 09:30 AM
The Norwich game was an example. RvP scores 2 goals to give us vital 3 points and then his colleagues go and bugger it up. I can understand RvP being frustrated in games like that.Yeh, I suppose thats true.

I just want him to stay :crying:

Letters
15-05-2012, 09:34 AM

No other job has people pay a lot of money to show up and sing your name every week.
The comparison only goes so far. But in the sense of footballers being paid to do a job and being very competitive people who want to do the best in their relatively short careers it's not massively unreasonable to think a player would entertain other offers. If he leaves for City then I'll think less of him because it'll clearly just be for money.

Munchies
15-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I think he'll leave this summer to be fair. He didn't seem to want to admit that he'll stay, and was always pushing it onto how he's been here for 8 years and loves the club rather than answering the question. Unless we get 3-4 more world class signings, which I think Wenger/Gazidis will try to persuade him about, he'll be off. Money wise, the max Arsenal will be pushed for will be 130k as mentioned in papers today, at City he'll get around 220k so he may opt for that.

GP
15-05-2012, 09:36 AM
The comparison only goes so far. But in the sense of footballers being paid to do a job and being very competitive people who want to do the best in their relatively short careers it's not massively unreasonable to think a player would entertain other offers. If he leaves for City then I'll think less of him because it'll clearly just be for money.

If he doesn't sign a contract this summer we have to sell him abroad. We can't let him walk out to City.

Marc Overmars
15-05-2012, 09:37 AM

I doubt most footballers care about the fans anyway. They play competitive sport for themselves, not to entertain others IMO.

Joker
15-05-2012, 09:39 AM
The problem is Wenger's promise of new signings to replenish the squad and to make a concerted effort to go for trophies is not longer credible, given his past actions. He's said the same thing to Cesc to try and keep him and he didn't deliver on his promises.

server too busy!
15-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Ok, what if Van Persie had another injury ravaged season and managed half the games he has played. This would all be a moot point, none of the big sides would be interested yet I guarantee he would be offered another contract from us.

I know he scored some great goals this season, but a large proportion of his goals were easy chances laid on a plate to him. You can't tell me had he not been in the team that we wouldn't have scored any of his goals. On top of this I read he has missed the most goalscoring opportunities in PL, so a shit load is being created for him, opportunities that others could have scored. So no he alone didn't get us in the CL.

It is imperative that we keep him, but I can't think he would be any other teams focal point in the same way he is for us. Its a big gamble for him as well.

Also blaming the medical staff is rubbish, we seem to field 11 players every week so how is it the medical staff haven't broken them as well. How are our medical staff at fault when he is getting injured playing internationally?

Marc Overmars
15-05-2012, 09:48 AM
You can't tell me had he not been in the team that we wouldn't have scored any of his goals.

I can tell you because the alternative would have been Chamakh.

IBK
15-05-2012, 09:49 AM
The problem is Wenger's promise of new signings to replenish the squad and to make a concerted effort to go for trophies is not longer credible, given his past actions. He's said the same thing to Cesc to try and keep him and he didn't deliver on his promises.

I reckon it'll be different this Summer. My one hope is that the manager will not let what happened last Summer happen again. I think there will be a different approach re RVP, and I can see us keeping him even if he doesn't sign. I think also that there will be more quality in.

As I've said, I think its more likely than not that RVP will leave the club. But IMO he is different from Hleb/Adebayor/Nasri/Fabregas in that he will need to be persuaded to leave, not to stay. Citeh/Juve/Real Madrid can be very persuasive, though.

Niall_Quinn
15-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I can tell you because the alternative would have been Chamakh.

Song could have played there too.

IBK
15-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Ok, what if Van Persie had another injury ravaged season and managed half the games he has played. This would all be a moot point, none of the big sides would be interested yet I guarantee he would be offered another contract from us.

I know he scored some great goals this season, but a large proportion of his goals were easy chances laid on a plate to him. You can't tell me had he not been in the team that we wouldn't have scored any of his goals. On top of this I read he has missed the most goalscoring opportunities in PL, so a shit load is being created for him, opportunities that others could have scored. So no he alone didn't get us in the CL.

It is imperative that we keep him, but I can't think he would be any other teams focal point in the same way he is for us. Its a big gamble for him as well.

Also blaming the medical staff is rubbish, we seem to field 11 players every week so how is it the medical staff haven't broken them as well. How are our medical staff at fault when he is getting injured playing internationally?

Too many people miss this point. Amid all the criticism, we are an attacking team that creates a great deal of chances. We are also a team that delivers mostly to feet. RVP is an amazing talent, but he is also the product of our team and the way it plays. Working in tight spaces suits his game (anyone who knows his football journey knows this). He would thrive at another team, but would he be so prolific? ebateable. Look at Mr '30 goal' Adebayor for an illustration.

Joker
15-05-2012, 09:54 AM
A large proportion of his goals were not easy chances, and the thing is many of his goals demand top quality movement to get away from his marker. There's no way Chamakh or Park are capable of that sort of movement. Yes he's had his tap-ins but as a central striker you'd expect that.

Well of course if he wasn't playing we'd still score goals, but you're assuming Chamakh or Park would have gotten into the same position as he did, without getting caught offside or mistiming the run etc. I doubt that's the case.

He's missed goalscoring opportunities but so do all strikers. That doesn't detract from his achievements this season. Rooney also misses a hatful of chances.

And I don't think we create anywhere near as many clear goalscoring chances as other teams with more creative midfielders. United have Scholes, Valencia, Young, etc while City have an abundance of talent as well. While we've been relying on our defensive midfielder to create chances for van Persie, which to be fair he's done a good job of.

He may not be a focal point of other teams, but perhaps he's willing to play a more equal role in a team with a greater chance of winning trophies rather than be the big fish in a small pond?

I think we're engaging in a bit of revisionism when it comes to van Persie, so that when he leaves we can say "oh, he wasn't actually as good as we made him out to be". I agree he's nowhere near the level of Messi, Ronaldo, etc, but he's still a very good player. He has contributed to 51 goals (37 goals and 14 assists) in 47 games this season, so it's not as if he's just been waiting for the tap in like RVN.

IBK
15-05-2012, 09:56 AM
A large proportion of his goals were not easy chances, and the thing is many of his goals demand top quality movement to get away from his marker. There's no way Chamakh or Park are capable of that sort of movement. Yes he's had his tap-ins but as a central striker you'd expect that.

Well of course if he wasn't playing we'd still score goals, but you're assuming Chamakh or Park would have gotten into the same position as he did, without getting caught offside or mistiming the run etc. I doubt that's the case.

He's missed goalscoring opportunities but so do all strikers. That doesn't detract from his achievements this season. Rooney also misses a hatful of chances, as do all strikers.

And I don't think we create anywhere near as many clear goalscoring chances as other teams with more creative midfielders. United have Scholes, Valencia, Young, etc while City have an abundance of talent as well. While we've been relying on our defensive midfielder to create chances for van Persie, which to be fair he's done a good job of.

He may not be a focal point of other teams, but perhaps he's willing to play a more equal role in a team with a greater chance of winning trophies rather than be the big fish in a small pond?

I think we're engaging in a bit of revisionism when it comes to van Persie, so that when he leaves we can say "oh, he wasn't actually as good as we made him out to be". I agree he's nowhere near the level of Messi, Ronaldo, etc, but he's still a very good player. He has contributed to 51 goals (37 goals and 14 assists) in 47 games this season, so it's not as if he's just been waiting for the tap in like RVN.

I disagree. I think you are being misled by the way we play - which is rarely to run into acres of space like a 'counter attacking' style team does. We create shed loads of chances/goal scoring opportunites. Much of the time we then over-complicate rather than players just putting their oot through the ball.

Joker
15-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I disagree. I think you are being misled by the way we play - which is rarely to run into acres of space like a 'counter attacking' style team does. We create shed loads of chances/goal scoring opportunites. Much of the time we then over-complicate rather than players just putting their oot through the ball.

Yeah you could be right tbh, maybe it just looks that United create more explicit chances because they counter-attack at pace, like we used to do.

And RE: RVP, I think you could say he got us into the Champions League in 2010-2011 as well. His second half to that season was incredible, scoring in 9 consecutive away games and ending the season with 18 premiership goals (all scored since January I believe). Given that we had an appalling collapse that season, and that at the end Spurs only finished 6 points behind us, who knows what would have happened without his goals.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2012, 10:25 AM
If he does go, I hope someone breaks it gently to Koscielny.

So not Shreeves.

Xhaka Can’t
15-05-2012, 10:31 AM

It isn't all it is cracked up to be.

I've had to work at home today so I could concentrate.

LDG
15-05-2012, 10:40 AM

"Wanker, Wanker, Wanker, Wanker!"

Xhaka Can’t
15-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I work in a shit office with no fans.

Letters
15-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Me too. Let's do lunch!

:cheers:

Public Sector :bow:

Letters
15-05-2012, 10:53 AM
"Wanker, Wanker, Wanker, Wanker!"And that's just his boss.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 01:05 PM
No.

Thank you very much.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Anyhow he's a top talent and his first season has been pretty good.

Stuggle i meant as in to adapt to this league not in terms of scoring goals big difference.

Olivier's xmas twist
15-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Love this.

Syn
16-05-2012, 11:17 AM
It has nearly been 2 hours since the meeting started ffs.

As a great shit-eating racist once said: "We should open negotiations by writing YES on a chalkboard and walking away."

We need updates.

And we need them now.

Come on Gazidis.

And come on the comfort zone.

Flavs
16-05-2012, 11:26 AM
It has nearly been 2 hours since the meeting started ffs.

As a great shit-eating racist once said: "We should open negotiations by writing YES on a chalkboard and walking away."

We need updates.

And we need them now.

Come on Gazidis.

And come on the comfort zone.

IG - Robin here is our offer will you sign it

RvP - I want assurances we will sign quality players

IG - We Already have Chamakh and Almunia

RvP - No i said quality players

IG - Denilson?

Syn
16-05-2012, 11:29 AM

LDG
16-05-2012, 11:36 AM
IG - Robin here is our offer will you sign it

RvP - I want assurances we will sign quality players

IG - We Already have Chamakh and Almunia

RvP - No i said quality players

IG - Denilson?

RVP - *sigh*

AW - Don't forget, we have also Alex Song who can play there. DO NOT FORGET

RVP - But Boss, we're shit. I've carried the team. We need quality additions.

AW - OK, you win. We have signed Jack Wilshire. He is quality, no?

RVP - We already own him though. He has been injured. He has been injured for twice as long as my longest injury.

AW - But if you think about it. He is like a new signing. Like you were a new signing before him.

RVP - Jesus fuck. You twatter. City are offering me money, and trophies. What exactly, are you offering me?

AW - As well you see.

RVP - What?

AW - Spirit?

RVP - *confused*

AW - Mental sffrengff.

RVP - You're mental.

AW - As well....

RVP - Fuck off.

IG - Have you renewed your season ticket yet Robin?

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2012, 11:37 AM
"Let him go, Song can play there"

Syn
16-05-2012, 11:39 AM
RVP - Jesus fuck. You twatter. City are offering me money, and trophies. What exactly, are you offering me?

AW - As well you see.

IG - Have you renewed your season ticket yet Robin?

:haha: