User Tag List

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mathieu Debuchy Thread (official)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBN View Post
    If Jenkinson was any good, Wenger could have got one of the talented younger right backs from abroad like Aurier and let them share gametime until the new guy settles in the league.

But Arsene knows damn well than giving this championship player Jenks any time on the pitch would be playing with fire.

Its a failing of our squad depth that weve panic bought Debuchy for what is a lot of money relatively.
    I think £10m for an international with proven Premier League experience and good age is actually a very good signing. It also allows Jenkinson to develop still as he is still young and perhaps a season on loan to really gauge how good he could be and decision can be made next summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I think £10m for an international with proven Premier League experience and good age is actually a very good signing. It also allows Jenkinson to develop still as he is still young and perhaps a season on loan to really gauge how good he could be and decision can be made next summer.
    We can't really send him on loan without signing another RB.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    I don't really see the point in signing Debuchy for £12m tbh. He's only a few years younger than Sagna and not as good imo, why not just give Sagna the £12m instead?
    Financially it's actually not a bad deal.

As a one of transaction you're obviously right, it makes much more sense to match City's offer of £150k per week. The extra £70k per week we'd be paying on top of the £80k we offered would only cost us an extra £3.5m a year. In total that would cost us about £8m this year to keep Sagna instead of getting Debuchy at £12m plus wages (I'm guessing £60k per week which is £3m per year). Which means it cost us a net of £7m to replace Sagna with Debuchy this year.

But in the second season we've almost recouped that amount by saving £5m on Sagna's wages. And in the third season we've made an overall gain of £3m on what we would have spent on Sagna if we kept him for that long. So financially we aren't losing out at all.

What's more, we have to maintain a proper wage structure to keep the overall wage bill in check. It's already high enough as it is, especially considering the fact that we handed out 6 or 7 new contracts to people like Ramsey, Mertesacker and Koscienly, and Cazorla, who probably all got big pay rises. If Sagna got such a big pay rise it would only be a matter of time until other players at the same level (experienced, consistent, key player) will want to be earning as much, and they'd be justified too. Why should Koscielny be earning £50k a week less than Sagna when he is a better and more important player for us? Basically, if we do it for one, we'll have to do it for 3 or 4 others too and throw our wage structure out the window. That would cost us in the long term.

I still think we're getting a worse player but at least we aren't losing money by doing so. We're getting a younger, hungrier player, whereas Sagna's performances are likely to drop off considering his age. If Wenger isn't sure about Aurier it's better to buy a proven premier league player and find the right RB rather than overpaying for a dud.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    I don't really see the point in signing Debuchy for £12m tbh. He's only a few years younger than Sagna and not as good imo, why not just give Sagna the £12m instead?
    Better going forward.
    Faster.
    Is about to enter his peak years (29-31).
    France's number 1 right back.
    Hardly gets injured.
    Plays well in a shit, constantly defending, Newcastle team. Would play even better in an organised, settled, possession-based team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said a few months ago that Sagna's replacement should be Debuchy and im glad we have him now. He is a very good RB who will improve our attacking play down the right and with Sanchez on the right wing, we have two workhorses who will make us a solid team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Özil's Panoramic View View Post
    Bit harsh, as Jenkinson didn't look too bad when he was given a considerable spell after Sagna had picked up a knock, tbf.
    He looked terrible and cost us alot of goals.

There was an Arsenal podcast last season which said a League 2 manager claimed all sorts of League 2 clubs were passing on him at the time Wenger swooped in.

Now were paying now for being cheap then as hes clearly not considered a viable even short-term option, nor should he be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Id be suprised if another premier league club took him on loan. Hes just not a premier league player.

I saw that Wenger was looking at a young spanish right back. He'd become the new "project" and Jenks will be done at this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jenks has all the attributes to be a fans favourite, apart from footballing ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of time for Jenks, he's a gooner and he clearly loves this club. But at best he's only going to be a decent back-up and won't really challenge our first choice RB. I'm biased so I'd give him one more season to show some improvement, and if he doesn't it might be best for both the club and the player if he moves on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's worth keeping for the banter.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.