User Tag List

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Samir "The Weasel" Nasri - The Epitome of Wenger's Failings!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post

Sorry, but I had to point it out!

Lol, the irony. My grammar is awful. But you catch my drift. In this day and age, you have to tie players down to longer contracts. A 5 year deal but we renegotiate when they have 2 years left.

Speaking of contracts, how comes we found the time to offer Eboue and Rosicky contracts, but these players are likely to be sold this summer? Before Eduardo left we extended his contract and then sold him the following season. We can do that for fringe players but not for 1st team players. It's silly. This guy shouldn't be in the driving seat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Use you're brain.

It's about leverage. We could easily demand £15m for Nasri, £20m in fact, but you can't do that when a player is on the last year of his contract. Does that make any sense to you?

If the relationship is sour, at least do what we did with Ashely Cole, sign him and then sell him when we're in a better position to bargain. Right now, the little prick has us pinned to a corner.

Nasri had a decent first season, his second was a flop but that's besides the point. It's about the original contract he signed. For a club building on potential and expecting players to get better with age, (around 23 according to Wenger) we sign this kid up on a 3 year deal, which means, just as he's starting to show his true potential, he's out of contract! For older players, I can understand a 3 year deal, but for someone we're signing based on potential, he should have a longer deal, especially when we're talking about a player that's just about to hit his form. Even if he's a flop, at least we can say the guy has x amount of years left on his contract when we want to sell. It's what we've done with Cesc.

I don't care if he stays or goes. I don't really like the guy. But I find it odd that we'd give a short term contract to player that is supposed to be here on the long term and identified as someone with loads of potential. Right now, he knows he's hitting form and his stock is up, so he's taking advantage of the situation. We should have known better and protected ourselves.
    Okay, a quick bit of correction: Nasri signed a 4-year contract when he joined Arsenal. In May 2008, Nasri signed a 3-year contract extension with Marseille. In July, 2008, he joined Arsenal. The alleged rationale for the contract extension was to allow Marseille to get a better price for him.

My recollection was that talk about a contract extension started at the start of this last season, and that were various comments about focussing on the action on the pitch with the contract talks to be resumed at a later date. I am not certain but I think that starting to discuss a new contract prior to half of the existing term has been completed is nonsensical. Now, have Arsenal let things get to far by letting get to just 1 year left? Possibly but Nasri is either using Man U's alleged interest as a bargaining chip or he is showing considerably less loyalty to Arsenal. his manager, and the fans than he showed to Marseille.

While he is a very good player and could develop in a great player, I will not mourn his departure if he chooses to leave. Some people have equated this situation with Flamini's. The only similarities that I can see is that both players are Arsenal players and both are French. Flamini only showed any real competence in the final year of his contract, and even then I do not think that he did enough to justify any of the "deification" that some people have heaped on him. Nasri is more talented than Flamini but even he can be replaced.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of contracts, how comes we found the time to offer Eboue and Rosicky contracts, but these players are likely to be sold this summer? Before Eduardo left we extended his contract and then sold him the following season. We can do that for fringe players but not for 1st team players. It's silly. This guy shouldn't be in the driving seat.
    It's a shame about Rosicky. I think he just lost it after constant injuries.

I think it's simply that players like Fabregas and Nasri are far more valuable than Eboue. And agents and their players hold all the power now. They can bargain all they want. If Eboue's agent threatened his leaving, no-one would care. There's nothing you can do unless you are Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man United. I'm sure if nothing changes, the whole of Europe will just become one big SPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically

Football.

Awful sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, the irony. My grammar is awful. But you catch my drift. In this day and age, you have to tie players down to longer contracts. A 5 year deal but we renegotiate when they have 2 years left.

I do not disagree with the concept that the club has to be more proactive. However, when should a club start negotiating a new contract or an extension? Any earlier than half way through the contract term is poor business, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    So basically

Football.

Awful sport.
    Pretty much.

It's not really sport when money is the prominent component of success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Pretty much.

It's not really sport when money is the prominent component of success.
    Only at Arsenal tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I do not disagree with the concept that the club has to be more proactive. However, when should a club start negotiating a new contract or an extension? Any earlier than half way through the contract term is poor business, IMO.
    I think we should be doing 5 year deals for players that have serious potential. Nasri wasn't a hidden gem type player. Along with Ribery and Benzema, he was tipped as the future of French football. It's not always possible to get 5 years and if we find ourselves in this sort of situation, you bite the bullet, pay up if he wants huge wages and do what Marseille did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should be doing 5 year deals for players that have serious potential. Nasri wasn't a hidden gem type player. Along with Ribery and Benzema, he was tipped as the future of French football. It's not always possible to get 5 years and if we find ourselves in this sort of situation, you bite the bullet, pay up if he wants huge wages and do what Marseille did.
    Good point PnG. It is a delicate balance between showing confidence in a player and being too "generous". Prior to the first half of last season, I suspect that most fans would have considered giving Nasri a 5 year contract when he joined as excessive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about that to be honest, we paid good money for him and thus giving him 5 years makes good economic sense. If we're not happy we always know we can sell him and get our money back. Now I'm not so sure.

I don't think we should give the kids long contracts as we don't have to pay out much and thus have little to lose, but players we pay good money for should be signed long term.