Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I’m sorry but i dont agree.

I dont think the premier league will kick out the big 6 because they are worth too much money. No way sky pay a billion pounds for tv rights if the big six are kicked out. Money will ultimately talk.

However, as far as i can tell, this is basically a breakup between UEFA & the breakaway clubs. I’m certain they will continue playing in their respective leagues but just replace the champions league with the Super League so where is the political right to get involved?

Why is the champions league perfectly acceptable yet this one isn’t? Both earn huge sums of money for the organisers and both don’t give a shit about the fans.
    Not really what I was talking about.

But anyway, on this new topic, I agree. We'll hear a lot of huffing and puffing and then the "Big 6" will cut a few influencers into the deal and suddenly the laughable notion this is to "save football" will become another new normal.

I was watching Gary Neville claim he can say what he wants about this, while Klopp is prevented form doing the same. Fair point. But let's see what Gary has to say (or not) when Sky secures a piece of the pie. Gary won't be putting his 11 year career at Sky on the line.

It's a sad situation, but it will also be quite funny to watch so many tunes being changed.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    It can all be traced back to Sky Sports.
    This.

The money had been creeping up in football for a while but Sky was a watershed moment. Suddenly you had to pay for a channel if you wanted to watch the game. And if you're going to pay then you'd better get value for money so suddenly it was saturation coverage, endless analysis and "build up". Who wants "build up" for West Ham vs Burnley ffs?
    The expansion of the CL was another nail in the coffin, that created the little group of big clubs at the top of each league.
    This is the next step in the evolution, and this time it'll be a pretty much closed shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    That has been happening for years and the Super League won’t change it. Kick off times have been modified to suit overseas markets rather then away fans travelling to the game.

The premier league didn’t give two shits when they signed up with sky in 1992 and the fans have lost out since then. It was a slow process but sped up over the last few years. These clubs, all of them in the premier league, took the sky money etc and didnt voice any opposition.

It is no good them trying to claim they looking after the real fans now.
    Ollie, do you read the posts before you respond to them?

Again, on you new and unrelated point, I agree. Of course the clubs gave up on the fans years ago. And fans have been complaining for years and not much has been done about it. Even the "victories" have been defeats with some fanbases forcing owners out only to have even worse jackals arrive.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City's Official Supporters Club said the move showed "those involved have zero regard for the game's traditions", adding it was "determined to fight against this proposed Super League".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56813819

FIFA strongly disapproves. STRONGLY!

...ladies and gentlemen, the organisation that gave us the World Cup in Russia and then Qatar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56813819

FIFA strongly disapproves. STRONGLY!

...ladies and gentlemen, the organisation that gave us the World Cup in Russia and then Qatar
    The response from Uefa, Fifa sky etc has been a complete PR disaster imo.

They are accusing someone else of greed and ignoring the fans which is something they have all done for years. How many of those involved in awarding the World Cup to Russia were then expelled from FIFA for taking bribes?

I actually think the more uefa etc bang on about greed etc, the more they will actually drive up support for this new league. Not many will be happy taking lectures on morality from that lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can accept greed and money in the game because that’s par for the course now, however the main thing for me is the elitist, closed shop nature of it. Of the teams involved, only a handful of them would even be deemed good enough to win it. The rest of us would be there for a jolly up with essentially nothing to play for. It would be like a glorified friendly tournament for the majority with no incentive. Nothing to aim for, can’t be relegated, so what’s the point? It would be dull as dishwater but as long as they’re getting their billions fuck everyone else - that’s why it stinks of shit.

It’s not a league and it certainly isn’t a competition. Just an exhibition to showcase the biggest clubs to plastic fans across the world who lap this kind of stuff up.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 20-04-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    You can accept greed and money in the game because that’s par for the course now, however the main thing for me is the elitist, closed shop nature of it. Of the teams involved, only a handful of them would even be deemed good enough to win it. The rest of us would be there for a jolly up with essentially nothing to play for. It would be like a glorified friendly tournament for the majority with no incentive. Nothing to aim for, can’t be relegated, so what’s the point? It would be dull as dishwater but as long as they’re getting their billions fuck everyone else - that’s why it stinks of shit.

It’s not a league and it certainly isn’t a competition. Just an exhibition to showcase the biggest clubs to plastic fans across the world who lap this kind of stuff up.
    exactly - it's just something to be on in pubs and bars around the world but not something we will care about much

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    He's the shithead that was supposed to be representing the interests of 200 European clubs. And all the while he was smiling out one side of his skull but working in the background to throw 188 of those clubs under the bus. You have to be an epic scumbag to operate like that.
    Absolutely, he should be the first person assassinated IMO.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in the spirit of these current proceedings, what's everyone's money on as to which club this is?

For some unknown reason, everyone seems to think Citeh have the biggest morals and it's them.

Anyone agree?