Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Champions League QF/SF Draw, 11am GMT

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Ospina and Mustafi were unfortunate. But Bellerin, Koscielny and Monreal were ok

Real problem was the midfield. Ox, Ramsey and Xhaka??? Fucking hell
    I did think about that midfield as being terrible. Especially that era Xhaka.

Kos had his great moments but not in this one.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    with the obvious exception of Mustafi it's not that bad a back four, Bellerin and Monreal were good fullbacks and Kos was a skillful and committed CB (though admittedly he obvs overstepped the mark in this tie although I don't remember the incident very well)

In particular I'd take Monreal at his best above any LB we currently have including Tierney
    Ok it's better than the one we had in the Camp Nou in 2010 last time we were in the QF's.

Silvestre marshalling the troops.

Almunia, Sagna, Vermaelen, Silvestre, Clichy.

Full backs good but the other three. In the trenches.

Although I suppose Messi would've destroyed any configuration we could have put out that night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I did think about that midfield as being terrible. Especially that era Xhaka.

Kos had his great moments but not in this one.
    Not that evening he didn’t, got himself sent off.

Him and Mertesacker formed a decent partnership. Can’t remember if there was any reason Cech wasn’t playing that evening

I remember not bothering to watch given we were already 5-1 behind on agg. Just stuck on the Godfather for the umpteenth time

“Look at how they massacred my boy!” Appropriate somehow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that evening he didn’t, got himself sent off.

Him and Mertesacker formed a decent partnership. Can’t remember if there was any reason Cech wasn’t playing that evening

I remember not bothering to watch given we were already 5-1 behind on agg. Just stuck on the Godfather for the umpteenth time

“Look at how they massacred my boy!” Appropriate somehow
    Old Man Wenger used the CL to give Ospina game time IIRC.

To be honest looking back at old line ups and remembering how shit they were, just makes me appreciate the job Wenger did to keep us going until everyone caught up and overtook us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Old Man Wenger used the CL to give Ospina game time IIRC.

To be honest looking back at old line ups and remembering how shit they were, just makes me appreciate the job Wenger did to keep us going until everyone caught up and overtook us.
    Oh for sure and I think on top of that the club allowed him to be a lightning rod

I think he stayed too long for sure, but equally even though he did himself no favours the abuse he was getting from fans actually feels rather shameful in retrospect. I think ultimately he left the club in a better position than Ferguson did at United.

Dont get me wrong I was just as guilty of it as anyone else.

I watched the Wenger documentary on Amazon a couple of years ago and felt actually genuinely sad that he felt the need to stay away from games for as long as he did.

The guy always was and remains a genuinely class act

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t remember if there was any reason Cech wasn’t playing that evening
    Probably because he was so matey with Bayern: https://metro.co.uk/2017/03/08/arsen...mping-6495731/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the risk of depressing all of you but just putting the competition in perspective.
    The missus and I are in Brussels for a few days and had a quick look around the new (ISH) Heysel stadium (mainly that way to visit the Atonium structure next to it). There is a plaque on the wall remembering the 37 Juve fans that were killed due to the fucktard Scousers kicking off before the game. I remember watching that unfold live on TV. Fucking terrible.
    The younger viewers will need to Google it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I'm really excited tbh.

Ideally would avoid Man City if we did get through a la my opening post.

We're taking Bayern Munich on in a far better position than any of the other times we faced them.
    I'm with you on this. I wanted a team that has hurt us a lot in the past, my preferred pick was actually Barca...but I guess Bayern would come a close 2nd if not top the list for most of us.

Anyway, I'm optimistic, as this is probably the most balanced team we've had in a generation....and though Bayern is finally finding some form now, this is probably one of the weakest sides (at least mentally) that they've ever had.

I'm almost certain we'll get past them and be the best side over both legs....however, the thought of facing either of the 2 other best sides left in the competition in the Semis is a bit of a downer, as IMO whoever wins that Semi will likely win this year's competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    I'm with you on this. I wanted a team that has hurt us a lot in the past, my preferred pick was actually Barca...but I guess Bayern would come a close 2nd if not top the list for most of us.

Anyway, I'm optimistic, as this is probably the most balanced team we've had in a generation....and though Bayern is finally finding some form now, this is probably one of the weakest sides (at least mentally) that they've ever had.

I'm almost certain we'll get past them and be the best side over both legs....however, the thought of facing either of the 2 other best sides left in the competition in the Semis is a bit of a downer, as IMO whoever wins that Semi will likely win this year's competition.
    I think we CAN get past them, I think this is probably the weakest Bayern team in fifteen years. Plus they have stalled a lot at the 1/4 final stage…comprehensively done by City last season, knocked out by Villarreal year before that and then PSG on the away goal rule back in 2021. They will be massively incentivised to go all out given that they aren’t going to win a 12th Bundesliga title.

Arteta squared off against Tuchel three times, and in the head to head is ahead 2 wins to one (winning 4-2 and 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, and losing 2-0 at the Emirates). If we aren’t properly prepared they could do us for pace. I think even if we win at the Emirates we have to be careful how we approach the game in Munich and not let them pen us back.

I’m personally of the opinion that it’s 50/50 (mainly because they have the experience in the competition we lack and because the second leg is in Munich).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we CAN get past them, I think this is probably the weakest Bayern team in fifteen years. Plus they have stalled a lot at the 1/4 final stage…comprehensively done by City last season, knocked out by Villarreal year before that and then PSG on the away goal rule back in 2021. They will be massively incentivised to go all out given that they aren’t going to win a 12th Bundesliga title.

Arteta squared off against Tuchel three times, and in the head to head is ahead 2 wins to one (winning 4-2 and 1-0 at Stamford Bridge, and losing 2-0 at the Emirates). If we aren’t properly prepared they could do us for pace. I think even if we win at the Emirates we have to be careful how we approach the game in Munich and not let them pen us back.

I’m personally of the opinion that it’s 50/50 (mainly because they have the experience in the competition we lack and because the second leg is in Munich).
    I agree with most of what you've said, though unlike most of you guys, I am actually glad the 2nd leg is at theirs.

I mean, I don't believe the Emirates gives us much of an advantage, look at the Porto game where we should have ripped them apart....the advantage really only came when it got to penalties.

I've always thought we do our best work away and IMO its been like that since we moved to this stadium. Can't even compare how intimidating Highbury was to this.

But besides blaming just the stadium(s), I think the modern generation of elite footballers thrive better in away matches in general. I wish someone would do some kind of in depth analysis but I'm pretty sure their are more away wins than there has ever been across most top leagues in Europe. IIRC Man U played them away first and then had all the pressure (and expectation) to get a result at home...we all know how that went.

So yeah.... IMO Bayern will feel the pressure more than our lads, especially since they've got the history of dumping us out regularly. I think in general, this will play in our favour.