User Tag List

Page 7 of 458 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery and Recriminations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Wolfsburg going to rescue us again?

Having taken Bendtner (and then realising him after he obviously flopped) they are now rumoured to be interested in Giroud. We couldn't get that lucky twice could we?

No news on how much we'd have to pay them.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that he has picked Giroud to start the last three games and has gone on to say he counts his assist as a goal should set alarm bells ringing. He really can’t help himself but to keep trying with Giroud and he might be crazy enough to start him there again. It’s totally undeserved but I’ve come to expect this from Wenger. From the start of the season, I said I don’t mind if we don’t buy a striker, as long as he tries something new up front. A different type of striker whether that be Walcott, Sanchez, Welbeck, even Campbell just not Giroud. We played our best football with Walcott as striker. The most lethal we’ve looked was against Utd but we haven’t tried playing like that since Walcott returned to the squad. He hasn’t once tried Sanchez him there this season. Joel Campell can play as a striker and not once has he tried to play him there.

“You consider everybody up front when you don’t score,” Wenger reasoned afterwards. “But first I wanted to try something else. Giroud is a presence on crosses. We need him as well on set-pieces, and when our goalkeeper kicks the ball long. He wins many balls and keeps us in the opposition half.”

Giroud has now gone 15 league matches, or 891 minutes, without a goal, the longest run of his career without troubling the scorers. But Wenger was delighted with his assist. “He is a guy who is mentally strong,” the Arsenal manager said. “Today he gave an assist - I put that in the same category as a goal.”
    He’s talking out of his backside. How many times has he tried this with Giroud? Why is he so obsessed with trying to keep the ball In the opponents half when we really struggle to break down a compact defence? He said the following in an interview with Geoff Shreeves when talking of how to cope with teams that defensive and better organised.

“We have to go that way. Our passing has to be quicker, our movement has to be sharper and our efficiency in the final third has to be better. We don’t have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap.”
    So why the heck is he persisting with Giroud? He’s slow. He’s immobile. He slows us down. Heck, he badly wants him on the pitch then why not try a two striker system. A proper one and not one where we have some winger/striker that fails at doing both jobs like he’s tried in the past? Madness. At least the season is drawing to a close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    The fact that he has picked Giroud to start the last three games and has gone on to say he counts his assist as a goal should set alarm bells ringing. He really can’t help himself but to keep trying with Giroud and he might be crazy enough to start him there again. It’s totally undeserved but I’ve come to expect this from Wenger. From the start of the season, I said I don’t mind if we don’t buy a striker, as long as he tries something new up front. A different type of striker whether that be Walcott, Sanchez, Welbeck, even Campbell just not Giroud. We played our best football with Walcott as striker. The most lethal we’ve looked was against Utd but we haven’t tried playing like that since Walcott returned to the squad. He hasn’t once tried Sanchez him there this season. Joel Campell can play as a striker and not once has he tried to play him there.

He’s talking out of his backside. How many times has he tried this with Giroud? Why is he so obsessed with trying to keep the ball In the opponents half when we really struggle to break down a compact defence? He said the following in an interview with Geoff Shreeves when talking of how to cope with teams that defensive and better organised.

So why the heck is he persisting with Giroud? He’s slow. He’s immobile. He slows us down. Heck, he badly wants him on the pitch then why not try a two striker system. A proper one and not one where we have some winger/striker that fails at doing both jobs like he’s tried in the past? Madness. At least the season is drawing to a close.
    Yep, this screams of Wenger wanting to persist with Giroud. I have given up with Wenger, it goes beyond him not knowing what to do but simply doing things to prove people wrong. Going 15 games without a goal as the first choice striker at Arsenal is disgusting, it's not even up for debate regardless of whether he offers the odd assist here and there. Wenger regularly preaches about there not being upgrades in the market on what we currently have? WTF is wrong with him? Is this honestly the best striker he can find for Arsenal?!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I think the persistence with Giroud is hubris, I mean on one hand he is not performing well on the pitch even taking into account his obvious limitation. But also how many crosses are we putting in for him or even trying to get the ball in behind the defence.
    Giroud isn't a terrible striker he really isn't, his goal scoring for us whilst not fantastic is not bad either but we need better than not bad.
    Giroud is a good player to come on when we are leading and the play is stretched as ridiculous as it is to say, he is probably our best finisher, and handled by a better man manager I actually think he's a valuable asset as he's more likely to get goals from set pieces or score with his head than any other of our players.

But he's not a starter, just like Wiltord wasn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if he counts assists as goals then Ozil is our top scorer, so why is he criticising him for lack of goals? The guy is one contradiction after another. He doesn't know his own mind, let alone the minds of the supporters. Or he doesn't care if he's contradicting himself, perhaps he thinks the media and the fans will forget what he says from day to day and just take his latest excuse at face value. Whatever. It's clear enough that he doesn't have any sort of a plan to improve this squad. He seems determined to stick with what he believes is a successful formula, even though there's no success to show for it. He's doing real and potentially permanent damage to the club now. It's essential he's moved out. Unfortunately the owner is only concerned about moving money out.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    But we wont.

Honestly, I think Wenger will look at Leicester's success and dig his heels in even more and refuse to buy what is required. The reality is they won it through a combination of things that we can only ever dream of offering.
    What Wenger hasn't realised about Leicester is that their league success has shown him up as the fraud of a manager that he is, always hiding behind excuses of money and this that or the other, this time he's really been shown up by a club who spent very little and are way ahead of his "great" team.

Our season has been a car crash, very few other than Wenger see it otherwise, he's really an embarassment these days, the stuff he's come out with in interviews is cringeworthy to say the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your keep harping on about Giroud, but Ramsey is the biggest problem we have on this squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobson's choice View Post
    Your keep harping on about Giroud, but Ramsey is the biggest problem we have on this squad.
    Both equally as bad as each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Yep, this screams of Wenger wanting to persist with Giroud. I have given up with Wenger, it goes beyond him not knowing what to do but simply doing things to prove people wrong. Going 15 games without a goal as the first choice striker at Arsenal is disgusting, it's not even up for debate regardless of whether he offers the odd assist here and there. Wenger regularly preaches about there not being upgrades in the market on what we currently have? WTF is wrong with him? Is this honestly the best striker he can find for Arsenal?!
    I really have no idea why and how he's still getting chances. He has to be sold because Wenger can't resist playing him.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Both are decent players but clearly lack the ability to play in the system Wenger wants to use, the best you can say of either is that they are impact substitutes.

Ramsey nauses up the speed and precision of any swift attacking move we make, and Giroud often doesn't have the pace, movement or timing to be the recipient of good football.