Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Vieira As Coach?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrick Vieira As Coach?

Former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira could make a surprise return to his old club - as a coach.

The midfielder is set to be released by Manchester City in the coming weeks, having made just 16 starts for them this season.

He wants to stay in England but is not interested in playing on at a lower level.

Arsene Wenger is considering him for a coaching role and it is possible Roberto Mancini could offer the Champions League veteran a similar position.

Vieira, 34, could be just what Arsenal need to give them a winning mentality and provide guidance for their young players.

It would be an emotional reunion for Wenger and Vieira, who had nine successful years together at Arsenal until 2005.

It is also likely to please Arsenal fans who feel the squad lacks experience. It may even be a part-time role, which would give Vieira the time he wants to spend with his family.

His City team-mate Kolo Toure will discover his punishment for failing a drugs test in February on Thursday.

It is believed the substance came from a diet pill his wife gave him.

Another City player, striker Mario Balotelli, faces fresh controversy after a scuffle over a woman at a Milan nightclub. Italian reports say Balotelli, 20, was slapped twice in the face by the woman's boyfriend.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1NVSXFVxY
    Player coach would be fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess why not let the ineffectual string of ghosts from our glorious past gribbling into the staff rooms continue?

Sol, Lehman, Veria, who next? If it had more of an effect id be more excited. Somehow though, it just seems desperate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    I guess why not let the ineffectual string of ghosts from our glorious past gribbling into the staff rooms continue?

Sol, Lehman, Veria, who next? If it had more of an effect id be more excited. Somehow though, it just seems desperate.
    I'd love Vieira back. Particularly in a coaching role. We need a strong voice in the coaching staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire issue depends upon how much of a voice Viera would/will have. I would have a little more hope for him, as opposed to Sol/Jens, because while captain, AW did, apparently listen to Paddy. Something he appears not to have done with any player since Thierry left.

As I said on the other thread, maybe the fact that Jens is around, and now possibly Paddy means that AW is beginning to realise the folly of getting rid of all of his senior players in favour of his ultimately brittle youth project.

Or am I just on happy pills this morning?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see any harm in bringing him back to coach.

I'm sure he will command respect from our delinquents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Can't see any harm in bringing him back to coach.

I'm sure he will command respect from our delinquents.

i agree...players like vieria have an aura about them that (hopefully) younger players will look up to and respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see, I'm not too sure about Paddy in terms of how strong he is mentally.

He was scared of absolutely no-one on the pitch. Even when Keane tried to rough him up, Vieira would just end up playing out of his skin.

However, when it came to bleating to the ref, making unnecessary challenges, even committing his future to the club, he was pretty abject.

Great player- his performances between 2001 and 2002 were some of the best I've ever seen as a midfielder for Arsenal- but I just don't think he'll cut it as a coach.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if he has the right coaching badges? Always seemed thoughtful and intelligent when talking about games and he's certainly palyed under a few of the best coaches in different leagues, so not a bad grounding.

The question remains would he be able to translate this into an effective coaching role?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had these rumors 2 years ago

Might be more likely now as he wants to stay in England but doesn't want to drop leagues.

Personally I'm in favor of it particularly as a coach we desperately need someone like him to whip these pansies into shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post

Great player- his performances between 2001 and 2002 were some of the best I've ever seen as a midfielder for Arsenal- but I just don't think he'll cut it as a coach.
    There is only one way to find out if he'll cut it as a coach and there is certainly no harm in trying him. Personally I think he would be a decent coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hump View Post
    Does anyone know if he has the right coaching badges? Always seemed thoughtful and intelligent when talking about games and he's certainly palyed under a few of the best coaches in different leagues, so not a bad grounding.

The question remains would he be able to translate this into an effective coaching role?
    I've never understood this coaching badges crap. Surely he'd earn them by joining us as a coach, or do you need certain badges before you can join as a coach?