PDA

View Full Version : Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Vidal off to Real Manure according to Telegraph........would have loved that move to happen with us bringing him in

Niall_Quinn
04-07-2015, 11:28 PM
Vidal off to Real Manure according to Telegraph........would have loved that move to happen with us bringing him in

Still think we might pick up another signing once the serious clubs have finished their business.

Static
05-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Have we signed anyone yet?

GP
05-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Have we signed anyone yet?

Yes?

Syn
06-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Time to put in a £180m bid for Bale. Agree on £60m payments a year for 3 years. And then not pay them. Apparently that's allowed.

#topical #eurocrisis #bale #baleozilramsey #premierleaguewinners2015 #nojailtime

Letters
06-07-2015, 12:46 PM
There's definite a "Bale out" / "Bail out" joke in there somewhere. #noneedtothankme

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-07-2015, 01:23 PM
There's definite a "Bale out" / "Bail out" joke in there somewhere. #noneedtothankme

You're quite right
There is no need to thank you, no need whatsoever

fakeyank
07-07-2015, 04:34 AM
Enforcement in CM signed

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/06/arsenal-complete-transfer-of-reading-defender-jordi-osei-tutu-5283420/

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Barca have signed Arda Turan, even though he can't play until January. :wacko:

Marc Overmars
07-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Bit of a pointless transfer ban really. I get they can't play until January but that's a pretty half arsed punishment considering they can still negotiate and cut deals, the practice that got them into trouble in the first place.

Corruption. :bow:

Globalgunner
07-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Have we signed anyone yet apart from Oliie, who is almost like a new poster after coming back from hibernation?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Looking increasingly unlikely that any further signings will be made, I think any transfers will be out of the club though apart from Ospina or Szczesny I don't really see any departures either.

Globalgunner
07-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Looking increasingly unlikely that any further signings will be made, I think any transfers will be out of the club though apart from Ospina or Szczesny I don't really see any departures either.

4th place trophy...Its on

dostoy
07-07-2015, 09:34 AM
If we keep either Arteta or Flamini and do not sign another defensive midfielder then we will struggle for fourth place next season.

Coquelin cannot play every League/CL game.

Syn
07-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Our lives are ruined. No coming back from this. Don't see the point of anything any more. What is life? What am I doing here? Why is Wenger doing this to us?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Pure hilarity
I don't personally see why we would struggle for top four, but it would be nice to know when we pay the highest ticket prices in Europe that our board and manager was seriously interested in winning the title. Petr Cech is a fantastic squad addition but we cannot pin all our hopes on him to make up the points deficit, nor can we rely on giroud to get us the goals to get us the title.
No it won't be a catastrophe if we sign neither a defensive midfielder or a striker, but it will definitely be an opportunity missed.

Bumble
07-07-2015, 11:58 AM
even if we don't sign anyone else, we have improved and I cant see us falling below 4th. It is just nice that we make one or two more additions to really try and push Chelsea this season.

Niall_Quinn
07-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Arteta signed a year long deal today, so we're keeping him and that's not a bad thing at all.

We should have signed Vidal, not because we desperately need him to finish top 4, but because we probably won't get another crack at him and he'd have moved us on a lot by finally filling that long lost Vieira role. Some could view it as a luxury (Wenger for example) but if we really want to challenge for the top (and then challenge again the following season) we needs the best players available. The Alexis connection, Chile coming of the back of a Copa win. This is the sort of intangible momentum Wenger doesn't really trade in. Unsurprising we haven't even hinted at chasing a signature but disappointing.

Media are saying we're looking at Pedro. Can that be true? Why would we be interested?

Globalgunner
07-07-2015, 01:01 PM
The perennial Wenger inadequacy bug bites again. Always almost there. goalkeeping isnt the main reason why we fell short last year or flunked out of the CL last 16 (again).
Cech most likely wont prevent it happening again. I am not so miffed at the striker inadequacy. It was a sure thing that Wenger wont sell Giroud or risk the bad blood of having him and Benzema in the first team. But the DM position needs buttressing. I hope Wenger has some surprise up his sleeve. Otherwise......Woe is me!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I normally agree with you about football NQ, but keeping Arteta is not something I agree on. He is not and never has been a defensive midfielder but has had to fill that role because Wenger refuses to spend money to fill that position (like many positions) and for the position he does occupy naturally he is surplus to requirements.

Globalgunner
07-07-2015, 01:42 PM
If Bayern are making Muller available. We should be all over that. Goalgetter supreme, just like his namesake, Ugly goals but valuable goals.

Letters
07-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Looking increasingly unlikely that any further signings will be made.
Is it? On what basis?

dostoy
07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Very little has happened yet.

Liverpool have got a few in but they needed to and they need some better defenders.

Chelsea have got Falcao on loan.

Man City have signed no-one of note yet.

Man Utd have signed no-one since Depay was confirmed in late April.

Newcastle and Crystal Palace have not signed anyone yet.

There is time yet but its a very slow start.

We need 3 more in the right positions (CD,DM and striker)but I very much doubt that will happen.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Is it? On what basis?

Based on the fact that we aren't being linked with anyone and that Arteta has signed a new deal ruling out a new midfielder

Power n Glory
07-07-2015, 01:55 PM
We're still being linked with players. There is no basis.

Marc Overmars
07-07-2015, 02:27 PM
The Telegraph have us linked with Gotze. :lol:

Not really needed but still, sign him up tbf.

Niall_Quinn
07-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I normally agree with you about football NQ, but keeping Arteta is not something I agree on. He is not and never has been a defensive midfielder but has had to fill that role because Wenger refuses to spend money to fill that position (like many positions) and for the position he does occupy naturally he is surplus to requirements.

I think it's a good thing we are keeping Arteta not as cover for the DM slot (although he could fill it in an emergency) but because he's a solid pro, club captain, can still perform at the top level and he's an experience and capable squad player. Not a first team player any longer, for sure, but there's a lot of dross out there inferior to Arteta walking around with silly £30mill price tags attached. A one year deal is just about right.

Power n Glory
07-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Gotze, Benezma, Higuain, Gundogan, Pedro, Schneiderlin, Turan....papers haven’t stopped talking.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 03:33 PM
We're still being linked with players. There is no basis.

Very infrequently....it's the kind of lull we saw between August and September last year and we signed a striker to replace Giroud.

Letters
07-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't think paper-talk is any basis for assessing what we may or may not be doing.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I think it's a good thing we are keeping Arteta not as cover for the DM slot (although he could fill it in an emergency) but because he's a solid pro, club captain, can still perform at the top level and he's an experience and capable squad player. Not a first team player any longer, for sure, but there's a lot of dross out there inferior to Arteta walking around with silly £30mill price tags attached. A one year deal is just about right.

Like I say surplus to requirements and adds to the inbalance we have in our side, he adds to the squad size which makes a defensive midfielder signing incredibly unlikely.....and as for club captain is a role that can be filled by anyone and from what we've seen in the last few years it has.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Like I say surplus to requirements and adds to the inbalance we have in our side, he adds to the squad size which makes a defensive midfielder signing incredibly unlikely.....and as for club captain is a role that can be filled by anyone and from what we've seen in the last few years it has.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 03:39 PM
I don't think paper-talk is any basis for assessing what we may or may not be doing.

90% of paper talk is horse dung, but 10% is truthful and if we were active in the market we would be be getting a deluge of stories rather than the odd tenuous link every other day.

Power n Glory
07-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Very infrequently....it's the kind of lull we saw between August and September last year and we signed a striker to replace Giroud.

We've been linked to Higauin, Pedro, Gotze, Higuain, Turan...this week alone. Probably all bullshit rumours but it's not how your making out. Last week wasn't it Vargas, Vidal, Carvalho?

Maestro
07-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Hope Sanogo, Campbell and Flamini are next out the door and quick .......if this happens and add to that Diaby and Podolski's departures, should see us with ample wages for a top tier player. 1 yr contract extension for Arteta better not mean we end up not buying a DM, would be gross negligence because Arteta should be nowhere near that position.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2015, 05:40 PM
People would feel better if there were more nonsense rumours?

Must admit, I don't understand.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 06:26 PM
People would feel better if there were more nonsense rumours?

Must admit, I don't understand.

My point being is that the more players we are linked with and on a consistent basis, the likelihood is that one out of those many nonsense rumours might actually be true.
When there is a dry well for the last week or so, it kind of makes you think the shop is closed.

Letters
07-07-2015, 07:14 PM
I'd be very interested to see some stats on previous years - number of rumours, number that happened, whether there is any correlation between number of rumours and us doing business. My guess is paper talk, or lack thereof, is not a sensible basis for concluding anything.

Penguin
07-07-2015, 07:18 PM
I think Wenger's happy with his squad now. He might buy if a 'special player becomes available', but the chances of that happening, and of us convincing them to join us is not very high.

Marc Overmars
07-07-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm not really arsed this year I've got to be honest. I feel quite comfortable with the shape of the squad right now, of course I'd like to see 1 or 2 more come in like everyone else but I don't think we're in a desperate position anymore in terms of the transfer market. Happy to see how things pan out and pass judgement when the time is right.

GP
07-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I think we'll buy if a serious upgrade becomes available. So far, those mentioned don't really fit the bill.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-07-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not really arsed this year I've got to be honest. I feel quite comfortable with the shape of the squad right now, of course I'd like to see 1 or 2 more come in like everyone else but I don't think we're in a desperate position anymore in terms of the transfer market. Happy to see how things pan out and pass judgement when the time is right.

No we are not in a desperate position, just disappointing that once again we are two players away from a serious sustainable title challenge.
We need a better striker than Giroud and another defensive midfielder (not a basque tortoise)

McNamara That Ghost...
07-07-2015, 07:57 PM
My point being is that the more players we are linked with and on a consistent basis, the likelihood is that one out of those many nonsense rumours might actually be true.
When there is a dry well for the last week or so, it kind of makes you think the shop is closed.

I'm not sure that is really true, thinking in particular of 2013 here - we were linked to so many players yet we only actually bought one in the entire summer. And that in the dying hours!

And you say 90% nonsense 10% truth - how do you look to settle on what 10% are correct when you have the 90% bollocks to wade through?

I think your ratonale for shop closed is a bit presumptious - the window has only officially been open to register players for 7 days and that's enough to think we're done seemingly; I think that's way too big a leap to make this early on.

Shaqiri Is Boss
07-07-2015, 07:58 PM
I think we'll buy if a serious upgrade becomes available. So far, those mentioned don't really fit the bill.

Yeah but what about when you were linked with Miln... fair enough.

GP
07-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Cabaye to Crystal Palace.

Power n Glory
07-07-2015, 10:06 PM

But we're being linked with players. Papers are saying we've made a £43m bid for Higauin. We're also being linked with Pedro. Talks of us bidding £17m for Benzema. Gotze even. It's bullshit but I don't know why you think things are quiet. Just last week it was all talk of Vidal.

Syn
07-07-2015, 11:39 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/status/618434122806087684

The face of a man whose just gon snared himself a biggie. Gotze.cx IMO.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Arteta is a player we already have so him signing a new deal doesn't mean we won't sign a midfielder though I think it unlikely.

I was kinda hoping we might be genuinely interested in Dybala before Juve signed him, but at this stage, Lacazette or a wild card like Draxler to be converted would be interesting.

Injury Time
08-07-2015, 05:29 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Arsenal/status/618434122806087684

The face of a man whose just gon snared himself a biggie. Gotze.cx IMO.
Troll face gonna troll.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Arteta is a player we already have so him signing a new deal doesn't mean we won't sign a midfielder.

He was out of contract this summer, so had the option of removing him and freeing up squad space for a better player

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 07:19 AM
But we're being linked with players. Papers are saying we've made a £43m bid for Higauin. We're also being linked with Pedro. Talks of us bidding £17m for Benzema. Gotze even. It's bullshit but I don't know why you think things are quiet. Just last week it was all talk of Vidal.

Things have gone relatively quiet since we signed Cech, it's not to say being linked with loads and loads of players means we will sign someone but when you look at things like the BBC Gossip column and we barely get a mention in a week it suggests that we aren't looking.
When we do sign someone it's normally at the end of sustained newspaper stories about that player so it doesn't come out of the blue....unless we do it on transfer deadline day or something.

Power n Glory
08-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Not that we should be gauging anything from media speculation, I prefer to take be cues from Wenger's actual comments, but isn't this a case of you just looking in the wrong places for gossip? BBC Gossip column may be off this year but Bleacher Report hasn't stopped. When we have stories of us signing Vidal, making bids for Benzema, Higuain and speaking with Pedro's reps, I'd say the gossip rags are in full swing.

Niall_Quinn
08-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Was there any significant media flush when we signed Alexis? We seemed to just get that one done without any real fuss, or else I have forgotten or missed the circus. The rats masquerading as sports journalists all do the same thing, they listen to any old gossip and then spin it up into news boilerplate. Read this article for an example of where sports journalism is today. Ignoring the atrocious grammar, try to find the substance. Only one sort of substance there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3152768/Mesut-Ozil-Arsenal-No-10-role-bid-bring-best.html

Manchester United winger Angel Di Maria would be of interest to Wenger who has tried to land the Argentina international on two previous occasions.

The South American’s future is unclear at Old Trafford after a difficult first season at the club following his £59.7m switch from Real Madrid.

United would be reluctant to sell to a direct rival, while his reported £280,000-per-week wages would be beyond them.

Nevertheless, if Di Maria is obtainable, the Gunners would be interested provided a deal would fit into their financial framework.

So Di Maria is not for sale, even if he was Utd would want their £60mill back and we can't afford his wages. Buy hey - we're signing Di Maria. And Ozil is under performing (with his 70 chances created) YAWN.

This is sports "journalism" and I don't think we should place too much stock in it.

I agree, this isn't the finished squad if we are chasing a title and a serious tilt at the CL. Ozil then Alexis - it would be odd for a genuinely ambitious club to stop now before the pieces are in place. Momentum as well - when other clubs and their fans are shitting their pants at our activities in the transfer market then we'll know we're back for sure. But those media hacks, fuck them. What do they know? Literally nothing.

Power n Glory
08-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I think Sanchez was a long process because he was playing in the World Cup. But at the time I think we were linked with Reus and Griezmann.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 08:54 AM
I think Sanchez was a long process because he was playing in the World Cup. But at the time I think we were linked with Reus and Griezmann.

Been linked with Sanchez several times throughout the preceding season.

selassie
08-07-2015, 09:03 AM

Yeah I think this is the situation too. I think if the likes of Benzema or Pedro become available then Wenger will make his moves. I also think he may pick up a DM or CB if an opportunity arises.

If there are no openings for the above then I think Cech will be our only signing this summer.

Whilst I wouldn't be ecstatic going into the season with the squad as is I still think we have enough quality to mount a serious challenge, I think if we sign a world class striker like Benzema then I'd have us down as joint favourites for the title.

dostoy
08-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Wengers next interview will come after the first pre-season match.

We will find out a bit more then.

When is the first pre-season match ?

GP
08-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Wengers next interview will come after the first pre-season match.

We will find out a bit more then.

When is the first pre-season match ?

Next Wednesday against Singapore XI

Bumble
08-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Its only the beginning of July and the Ashes start today which is much more important than fretting about Arsenal not signing anyone or being linked with a 100 new players.

Xhaka Can’t
08-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Arteta is so shit, he's made it to Captain of our Club and he still can't get out.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Again not fretting, just think it will be a shame if we shun the opportunity to take the initiative and push Chelsea all the way for the title.

Plus we are going to get spanked in the ashes so who cares.

Özim
08-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Again not fretting, just think it will be a shame if we shun the opportunity to take the initiative and push Chelsea all the way for the title.

Plus we are going to get spanked in the ashes so who cares.

We're generally painfully slow in the transfer market so it's no big surprise we haven't bought anyone but Cech, wouldn't surprise is this is it with the summer business either (other than some low profile players), Wenger was happy with last season and this usually leads to little of no change in the squad. It's disappointing if that's the case, but we never seem to want to go the extra mile to be genuine contenders for the big trophies so it's big surprise to anyone.

Letters
08-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Last year we actually got our business done quite early, which was unusual. Usually it's all very last minute, but that's not that important. It would be nice to have players bedding in during pre-season but longer term it doesn't make much difference.
I was pretty happy with last season too, the start was a car crash but we picked up and for two thirds of the season we matched Chelsea stride for stride, I don't think there's much wrong with our squad.
I'd be happier with a proper, world class striker and some more cover at CB, even without those I think we'll go pretty close next year.

Seymour Butts
08-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Last year we actually got our business done quite early, which was unusual. Usually it's all very last minute, but that's not that important. It would be nice to have players bedding in during pre-season but longer term it doesn't make much difference.
I was pretty happy with last season too, the start was a car crash but we picked up and for two thirds of the season we matched Chelsea stride for stride, I don't think there's much wrong with our squad.
I'd be happier with a proper, world class striker and some more cover at CB, even without those I think we'll go pretty close next year.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/08/arsenal-are-close-to-completing-huge-transfer-says-agent-muzzi-ozcan-5286330/

Letters
08-07-2015, 02:11 PM
:popcorn:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 02:54 PM
A nobody tells us nothing

Niall_Quinn
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Only 55 days to go until the window slams shut.

Letters
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
:lol:

You were moaning we're not being linked with anyone. Arguably, we're still not, but it's still a rumour of a transfer. Probably nonsense, but you were the one claiming some correlation between paper-talk and us doing business.

:shrug:

EDIT: That was at HCZ.

selassie
08-07-2015, 03:18 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/08/arsenal-are-close-to-completing-huge-transfer-says-agent-muzzi-ozcan-5286330/

Would love to believe this but the Metro is full of garbage, along with its ugly sister the Evening Standard it's possibly the worst paper for transfer rumours.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
:lol:

You were moaning we're not being linked with anyone. Arguably, we're still not, but it's still a rumour of a transfer. Probably nonsense, but you were the one claiming some correlation between paper-talk and us doing business.

:shrug:

EDIT: That was at HCZ.

Stretching my point when the guy says "oh I can't tell you who", my point was not that loads and loads of rumours necessarily mean we are going to definitely sign someone, my point is that a dirge of rumours tends to suggest a quiet summer.

Anyway I've not categorically said we aren't signing anyone, I've stated that as things stand it looks unlikely.

Yes I get what people say that Wenger will sign someone if he thinks that player is amazing and is an improvement on anything we have but when you have two glaring positions need filling, let's hope it's not another attacking midfielder.

GP
08-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Have you had a stroke?

Seymour Butts
08-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Would love to believe this but the Metro is full of garbage, along with its ugly sister the Evening Standard it's possibly the worst paper for transfer rumours.

Agreed but this is a direct quote from the agent on twitter ...yes i know twitter is a load of old shit but if the guy is a bonafide agent it may have some legs.......

AFC Leveller
08-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Reports claiming we have offered 45 M euros for Higuain.

Syn
08-07-2015, 06:19 PM
£37m for Grealish IMO.

fakeyank
08-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Re-sign Van Pussy and bench the fucker

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-07-2015, 07:16 PM
That sounds utterly insane about Higuain, we didn't want to sign him two years ago when we could have got him for 25-30 million but prepared to pay 45million (I'm reading pounds not Euros) for him now.

Özim
08-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Reports claiming we have offered 45 M euros for Higuain.

45 million Euro's he's good but not that good.

Marc Overmars
08-07-2015, 10:22 PM
RVC close to signing for Fenerbahce.

What a waste.

but eeez got dat medul

AFC Leveller
08-07-2015, 11:12 PM
RVC close to signing for Fenerbahce.

What a waste.

but eeez got dat medul

Would he even be remembered by their fans in 10-15 years? Doubt it.

Power n Glory
08-07-2015, 11:15 PM
As said, hated by Arsenal fans, forgotten by Utd. That's his legacy. Fergie really fucked him over. :haha:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-07-2015, 06:23 AM
Not to reign on this parade, but I don't think he cares. I didn't begrudge him leaving at the time but I did the way in which he did so.

Anyway that's too much money for Higuain and I'm not sure why Real would seriously entertain selling Benzema.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Really? Understandable why he wanted out. But you don't think in retirement years he won't regret not having that icon status where he can return to a stadium like Henry and Wright to crowd showing complete gratitude? That little boy inside him knows what I'm talking about. When he moved to Utd, I don't think he pictured one medal and then out. He doesn't strike me as a player just about the money.

He finally got his medal but he must be wondering what if he stayed at Arsenal. We finally look like we're building something and he just missed out.

Penguin
09-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Anything over £30m for Higuain is overpriced, but if he's the final cog in the team that could win us the league it's worth overpaying. I'm not convinced that Higuain is that final cog, but he's definitely a much better goal scorer than Giroud or Welbeck. £45m for Higuain or start the season with what he already have?

Really? Understandable why he wanted out. But you don't think in retirement years he won't regret not having that icon status where he can return to a stadium like Henry and Wright to crowd showing complete gratitude? That little boy inside him knows what I'm talking about. When he moved to Utd, I don't think he pictured one medal and then out. He doesn't strike me as a player just about the money.

He finally got his medal but he must be wondering what if he stayed at Arsenal. We finally look like we're building something and he just missed out.

He wont regret anything unless we win the league or the Champions league. If we do it will make it that little bit sweeter thinking about all the RVPs and Nasris that have stabbed us in the back. Not that winning any of those trophies would need any more 'sweetness' :lol:

dostoy
09-07-2015, 09:21 AM
We will not be buying Benzema.

Madrid would not sell him, he would not want to go and of course Giroud is French and Wenger would not have two players for the same position from the same country especially if they were both internationals.

I cannot believe we would pay all that money for Higuain.

I hope we are buying Aubameyang and Carvalho, that would be amazing but it is just a dream.

Globalgunner
09-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Madrid would not sell him, he would not want to go and of course Giroud is French and Wenger would not have two players for the same position from the same country especially if they were both internationals.

I hope we are buying Aubameyang and Carvalho, that would be amazing but it is just a dream.

Second that!. Those two would make it a good summer. Real hope for the future.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Higuain has been shit for a couple of seasons now hasn't he? Or has it been three seasons?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-07-2015, 10:02 AM
53 goals in 102 appearances for Napoli, not worth the money De Laurentis (I wonder if he's related to Dino De Laurentis?) wants but far better stats than any of our strikers.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 10:06 AM
53 goals in 102 appearances for Napoli, not worth the money De Laurentis (I wonder if he's related to Dino De Laurentis?) wants but far better stats than any of our strikers.

Is he? Whenever I've seen him play he's looked decidedly ordinary. Is he significantly better than Giroud or Walcott? Say in the Suarez or Aguero bracket - players who would make a real difference? Can't see it. The fee attached to him appears to be insane, even by football standards.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 10:06 AM

I don’t think his brain works like that. It’s not about passports. We had Giroud but he also bought Sanogo and if that kid have turned into the new Anelka as he hoped, he’d have kept his position in the squad. The problem with buying two players in their peak is that you can’t play both at the same time and rotation isn’t always good for building confidence and Wenger is all about building confidence in players and he does so by assuring players game time. I don’t think he wants the team selection headache and he won’t keep an unhappy player that isn’t playing. Best way around that problem for Wenger is to have a developing player as cover and an experienced first teamer.

AFC Leveller
09-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Higuain has been shit for a couple of seasons now hasn't he? Or has it been three seasons?

He can be worse than inzaghi interms of offside and missing chances but overall he is a goal scorer and i think he would take us up a level. His record for Real is 107 in 190 and 35 in 69 for Napoli, so around a goal every other game. While im a fan of Giroud and like what he brings to the team, i do feel with him leading the line that we wont win the title, he just doesnt have enough goals in him.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
West Brom striker Saido Berahino has parted company with Aidy Ward, the controversial football agent behind Raheem Sterling’s transfer fiasco with Liverpool.

The 21-year-old joined Sterling in going with Ward when the agent set up on his own last season after leaving Impact Sports Management.

But Berahino, who was called up to the England squad last November, is said to have become disillusioned with Ward following Sterling’s attempts to leave Anfield.

Excellent. Now come on Ox, you're next!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Is he? Whenever I've seen him play he's looked decidedly ordinary. Is he significantly better than Giroud or Walcott? Say in the Suarez or Aguero bracket - players who would make a real difference? Can't see it. The fee attached to him appears to be insane, even by football standards.

So any of our forwards boasts a scoring record of a goal every other game?.

No I agree he's not in the Suarez or Aguero bracket and I think it would be stupid money to pay, but in terms of goals he is a vast improvement on anything we have up front. That's not saying we should pay that kind of money for him, that's just stating we don't have a striker with a one goal in two game average

Marc Overmars
09-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Can't see Wenget going for a striker in the mould of Higuain, he's too one dimensional.

Either he'll buy someone versatile to play across the front 3 or he'll look for someone like Giroud to be a target man and a link between midfield and attack.

Letters
09-07-2015, 11:42 AM
So any of our forwards boasts a scoring record of a goal every other game?
Giroud did last year.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-07-2015, 12:09 PM
His overall goal scoring record is still no where near that, that's my point. Giroud is a patchy player and not a consistent goal scorer, scoring every game for seven or eight games is fine if you then don't go another seven or eight without scoring.

I don't necessarily think we should sign Higuain but we need an improvement on Giroud.

Letters
09-07-2015, 12:20 PM
His overall record is fine, it's not one in 2 but it's not that far off. It's something like 0.4 per game.
I don't think he's a 'worldie', but he's better than he's given credit for on here at least.

AFC Leveller
09-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I think part of the problem with Giroud is that he lacks the confidence and belief to be the best. Journos close to him say he takes criticism to heart and it effects him.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 12:57 PM
His overall record is fine, it's not one in 2 but it's not that far off. It's something like 0.4 per game.
I don't think he's a 'worldie', but he's better than he's given credit for on here at least.

And what is that? What should he be given more credit for exactly?

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Scratch that. No point in answering that. We don't need another Giroud debate. If we're trying to improve the squad, that's an area we can certainly improve on.

Letters
09-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Scratch that. No point in answering that. We don't need another Giroud debate. If we're trying to improve the squad, that's an area we can certainly improve on.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 01:20 PM
So any of our forwards boasts a scoring record of a goal every other game?.

No I agree he's not in the Suarez or Aguero bracket and I think it would be stupid money to pay, but in terms of goals he is a vast improvement on anything we have up front. That's not saying we should pay that kind of money for him, that's just stating we don't have a striker with a one goal in two game average

I'm talking about a striker than significantly enhances what we already have and moves us up level with the dopers in terms of firepower. There are plenty of strikers around who will stick the ball in the net, we're looking for one that changes vital games at crucial moments. That's the Aguero and Suarez (and Henry and Wright before them) factor. Is Higuain anywhere near that bracket? From what I've seen of him no, he's just as likely to miss a sitter as stick it in the net. There's nothing to say he can translate his 2 in 1 ratio from the Italian leagues to the PL. If he was a top talent you;d back him to do it. But I wouldn't call him a top talent by any stretch.

You know what I'm talking about. There's a world between those few players who are on a different level from the rest. Aguero frightens opponents. The Higuains and Girouds and the Darren Bents still score goals but they don't possess the fear factor or have defenders wondering what they'll do next. Cavani and Falcao are in the same bracket, big fees but they don't have that extra special ingredient. I'm of two minds whether Costa is up there with the best. He bangs in the goals too, but he's more of a bludgeon than a scalpel. Still effective but not the sort of player you'd specially pay to watch.

In fact there are very few top striker around at the moment. I say we should be prepared to spend big if we want one of them, but I'd hate to see us spend a silly amount on a second tier player like Higuain. We already have Giroud and Walcott, both proficient second tier players. It'll probably cost us £60mill to do better than what we have.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Unless an obvious option pops up, we may hold off from signing a striker until we're late in the window. This maybe an internal inhouse job. Sanchez may get converted into a striker. Walcott may get his chance or Wenger may just want to take another look at Giroud.

AFC Leveller
09-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Unless an obvious option pops up, we may hold off from signing a striker until we're late in the window. This maybe an internal inhouse job. Sanchez may get converted into a striker. Walcott may get his chance or Wenger may just want to take another look at Giroud.

I think thats a good point. Apart from the top tier strikers who are more or less impossible to get, there arent any other strikers available that could improve us much, although i think Higuain will be a good singing for us if it does happen.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Not sure I agree I think what we need is purely someone who can put the ball in the net, I think we have enough players in the side to influence games given that there is someone up front who can stick it away.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 02:33 PM
If that were true, we'd have been ok with Podolski up front. We need a special striker up front that won't get lost in the game. Welbeck is another example of a striker that just can't get a sniff on goal because he just can't get accustomed with the rhythm of our game. It's not just about the finishing, it's about the off the ball movement too.

Maestro
09-07-2015, 02:56 PM
we're better off spending on an upcoming real talented forward, than spunking £40m on higuain. if we keep our powder dry in the striker department then i would prefer we start theo upfront, at least he has real pace and will work his socks off to prove his career has not been a bust.

Letters
09-07-2015, 03:03 PM
We've got plenty of people who can put the ball in the net, we only scored 2 fewer goals than Chelsea last year.
What we are missing is what NQ was saying, an Aguero or Suarez - someone who puts the fear of God into defenders.
They don't grow on trees, if we don't get one it's not for the lack of trying, it's because there are probably only a handful in the world, most will stay put and those who do move will probably go to a team with bigger resources than us.

AFC Leveller
09-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Not sure I agree I think what we need is purely someone who can put the ball in the net, I think we have enough players in the side to influence games given that there is someone up front who can stick it away.

The finishing aspect is obviously important but finishing alone wont get you anywhere. If finishing was all thta mattered then the likes of Ings, Podolski, Defoe etc would be worth millions. Sometimes, esp in the big games, Giroud is completly shut out by the oppo's defenders, he cant get half of yard of space and stinks the place up until he is subbed off. The likes of Suarez, Aguero etc can get away from defenders and need half a yard to score, thats what makes them so special.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 03:13 PM
We've got plenty of people who can put the ball in the net, we only scored 2 fewer goals than Chelsea last year.
What we are missing is what NQ was saying, an Aguero or Suarez - someone who puts the fear of God into defenders.
They don't grow on trees, if we don't get one it's not for the lack of trying, it's because there are probably only a handful in the world, most will stay put and those who do move will probably go to a team with bigger resources than us.

Yep. When thinking of what's available out there, it doesn't look good. We'd either have to buy a winger to convert into a striker or look at our options inhouse. Only Walcott and Sanchez strike me as players that have it in them to really menace a defence.

LDG
09-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Like Loltters says. We don't have an issue scoring goals.

We just lack another one of those mentally good players who make the difference when things aren't going your way, or in the big matches. Doesn't have to be a striker. Could be a powerhouse, a winger....another Alexis on the other side would be good.

The solution to hitting the top is consistency across the season (not just in 2/3 of the season), and Wenger working out where to play people to get the best out of them, without trying to lever Ramsey into the side by playing him as a sweeper or something stupid.

Another worldie is what we need.....

I am invisible
09-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Sanchez as CF appeals to me far more than any of the big-name strikers that we've been linked with so far - guys like Higuain are OK, but I don't think they'd bring anywhere near the flair and excitement and relentless energy to the role that Alexis would.

The only thing that makes me think twice about it is that we already have something pretty special in Sanchez as we're currently using him: a player who, not only gets us 20+ goals a season from out wide, and works his tits off for the team defensively, but who also genuinely loves that wide-role, and doesn't pout about not being played through the middle. That's almost as rare as world-class CFs.

I guess it comes down to what is going to be easier for us to find: a world-class, 30-goal-a-season CF, to come straight into the side as it is, or another world-class, 20-goal-a-season winger, who will free up Sanchez?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
09-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I think there are times where we do lack goals at important times, both home games last season and the season before against Chelsea and United we created enough to win one of these games yet we had Giroud who fluffed his lines.
Simple fact is we need someone who doesn't need three chances before he takes one, is that Higuain? I'd honestly say I don't know.
Our goal scoring form like Giroud is inconsistent, you can't expect to win the title failing to score three home games in a row, and certainly not by only winning twelve games from nineteen. I contend that we weren't shipping a ridiculous amount of goals at home (kept nine clean sheets, and only conceded more than one goal on three occasions)
So it's not even about the amount of goals we score over a season, we aren't getting an even spread.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Sanchez as CF appeals to me far more than any of the big-name strikers that we've been linked with so far - guys like Higuain are OK, but I don't think they'd bring anywhere near the flair and excitement and relentless energy to the role that Alexis would.

The only thing that makes me think twice about it is that we already have something pretty special in Sanchez as we're currently using him: a player who, not only gets us 20+ goals a season from out wide, and works his tits off for the team defensively, but who also genuinely loves that wide-role, and doesn't pout about not being played through the middle. That's almost as rare as world-class CFs.

I guess it comes down to what is going to be easier for us to find: a world-class, 30-goal-a-season CF, to come straight into the side as it is, or another world-class, 20-goal-a-season winger, who will free up Sanchez?

Another option is DIY. We've been linked with Draxler for an age. Buy him, convert him to the role, we have players who can do a decent enough job while we wait. Draxler has that flair and unpredictability common with the really top players and he has time on his side. If we can't punt £60mill on a world beater (or £50mill on Sterling :haha: ) then this might be the way to go. Only sign him on a 250 year contract with a Marketing style buyout clause x 4 so he doesn't get poached the minute we finish the polishing.

Penguin
09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
The only problem with Draxler is that we need someone who can do it now. Draxler has never even played as a striker, and has a goal record of 13 from 38 games, 6 from 38 and 2 from 10 in his last three seasons. Not sure how he can go from that to a top CF really. I'm not saying that he can't do it but it's a gamble that may or may not work, and even if it does it will take a lot of time and patience on and off the pitch. The likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Koscielny aren't gonna wait around for that.

Power n Glory
09-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Whatever happened to Reus? We were linked heavily with him last season.

Niall_Quinn
09-07-2015, 10:09 PM
The only problem with Draxler is that we need someone who can do it now. Draxler has never even played as a striker, and has a goal record of 13 from 38 games, 6 from 38 and 2 from 10 in his last three seasons. Not sure how he can go from that to a top CF really. I'm not saying that he can't do it but it's a gamble that may or may not work, and even if it does it will take a lot of time and patience on and off the pitch. The likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Koscielny aren't gonna wait around for that.

The idea is not without its problems, but the alternative - finding and then paying for a ready made, world class talent - has plenty of problems too. I can think of a list of strikers I'd like to see at the club but can't think of one that's available. It would also be a gamble to pay the crazy transfer fees and wages being demanded by strikers who aren't any better, or not significantly better, than Giroud.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-07-2015, 10:57 PM

Yes really. RvP may look back on not being seen as a legend at a club AND winning the premier league, but he can't be sure that would have happened with us, nor will he be in 20 years time..... which is half the reason he left. We all play the 'what if EVERYTHING in my life fell into place as it unfolded' game. In short, he may look back and ask what if?...but he won't look back and regret his decision IMHO and he won't regret the fact that his premier league medal is now a certainty or the matter of a factual historical event.

How many medals could he expect in the short career he had left from the summer he left anyway? I think he will be relieved he won the big one he did, though it was only the one. His career passing him by having won nothing major was a distinct and very real possibility once upon a time.

I may be completely wrong and he might regret it, I don't know the bloke personally, but he doesn't strike me as the regretful type......even privately.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-07-2015, 11:02 PM
To be frank.....unless it happens the way NQ is suggesting......and I don't mean specifically or exclusively buying Draxler and converting him, but getting the next best thing or the unfinished article......where on earth is this devastating / world class forward going to come from?

It just isn't going to happen.

Grebbo
09-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Walcott is our exciting CF. I think people have forgotten how good he was before his injury.

What happened with Draxler? I haven't seen anything of him for ages, has he been shit or injured?

Grebbo
09-07-2015, 11:22 PM

Well I'm sure he'll get a great reception at OT. Their fans know that he got an average Man U team their 20th PL title.

I'm surprised they're selling him, they must have something big lined up.

The Emirates Gallactico
10-07-2015, 05:39 AM
I think I speak for many when I say I'd much rather take a punt on Lacazzette than go in for Higuain who's overpriced and overrated. He's a tad more clinical than Giroud but apart from that, Giroud bests him in all other departments. Heck, I'd much rather take Draxler and attempt to convert him than spunk all our load on Higuain.

Agree with PnG on this, unless an obvious worldie becomes available (Aguero decides he hates Manchester and has to come to London :pray:) I don't think Wenger will go in for someone this summer and instead make do with our current options, which compared to our rivals aren't that bad to be fair. I'd only really say that City have us definitively beat when it comes to forwards.

By the way anyone else slightly concerned about the recent news about Welbz? He's been pulled out of the Singapore tour because he's "allegedly" still recovering from the same injury that he had when the season ended. Seems like an awfully long time to recover from something Wenger claimed to be minor right before the FA cup match. :huh:

Power n Glory
10-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Yes really. RvP may look back on not being seen as a legend at a club AND winning the premier league, but he can't be sure that would have happened with us, nor will he be in 20 years time..... which is half the reason he left. We all play the 'what if EVERYTHING in my life fell into place as it unfolded' game. In short, he may look back and ask what if?...but he won't look back and regret his decision IMHO and he won't regret the fact that his premier league medal is now a certainty or the matter of a factual historical event.

How many medals could he expect in the short career he had left from the summer he left anyway? I think he will be relieved he won the big one he did, though it was only the one. His career passing him by having won nothing major was a distinct and very real possibility once upon a time.

I may be completely wrong and he might regret it, I don't know the bloke personally, but he doesn't strike me as the regretful type......even privately.

I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what he says later on in retirement years because he did once say this.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/02/21/2362037/robin-van-persie-i-want-to-win-trophies-with-arsenal

"The bottom line is that I want to win trophies with Arsenal, not with anybody else. I know you can win trophies in many countries and in many ways, but I want to do that in our way and in an Arsenal shirt.

I'm sure I could win things at another team in another country, but would it feel like our trophy, my trophy? I'm not sure it would. Anything we win here will come from the heart and that's what I want.

"It's my dream and I see no point in speaking about other teams when I have these dreams. I think other people know that about me; I'm just hungry to win with Arsenal and that's it."

It's something he can only answer. Circumstances change and a year ago, I'd agree with you about him having no regrets. But his Utd career has really been railroaded. Fergie retiring hit him the hardest according to Rio and it's been a downward spiral since. I don't know if that one season will be enough for him to go down as a Utd fan favorite. And what if we actually win the league in the coming season? A big if, but I can't imagine that not having an effect on how he reflects on things.

I can totally understand why he wanted to go and I blame the club for not standing strong and I can't understand why they didn't say we'd had new funds coming in. But watching RVP celebrate after scoring against us really turned the tide for me. It's like he's forgotten what we've done for him and how we stood by him. Utd were quick to get rid of him in comparison. Call me bitter, but I hope he feels regret. Those comments about the 'little boy' and the bravado displayed on the pitch....pissed me off more than any other former player that has left us.

I am invisible
10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
To be frank.....unless it happens the way NQ is suggesting......and I don't mean specifically or exclusively buying Draxler and converting him, but getting the next best thing or the unfinished article......where on earth is this devastating / world class forward going to come from?

It just isn't going to happen.

What about that Barca lad we were being linked with - Munir, was it? Seems to be in the same boat as Pedro over there - can't get near the starting XI if the usual front 3 are fit, and is chaffing for game time. I keep hearing about how highly they rate him over there, and don't want to let him go, etc, but I seem to remember them going through the same song and dance Alcantara a couple of summers back, and he ended up going to Bryan?

I am invisible
10-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Whatever happened to Reus? We were linked heavily with him last season.

Reus would be pretty close to my ideal signing - it'd be like having a second Sanchez in the side! Different playing styles, but their work-rate, end-product, and positional flexibility are almost identical.

If we're talking about chucking silly money at Napoli for Higuain, then why not chuck a similar amount at Dortmund, and see what they say?

Power n Glory
10-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Walcott is our exciting CF. I think people have forgotten how good he was before his injury.

What happened with Draxler? I haven't seen anything of him for ages, has he been shit or injured?

I haven't. It's just a waiting game and seeing if Wenger gives him that role in pre season. That's the indicator. These are the combos I'd like to see Wenger try in preseason.

Sanchez...Walcott...Ox

Walcott...Sanchez...Ox

Welbeck is injured and I think I've seen enough of Giroud.

Power n Glory
10-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Reus would be pretty close to my ideal signing - it'd be like having a second Sanchez in the side! Different playing styles, but their work-rate, end-product, and positional flexibility are almost identical.

If we're talking about chucking silly money at Napoli for Higuain, then why not chuck a similar amount at Dortmund, and see what they say?

Let's hope that's a possibility. If we are thinking about playing Walcott or Sanchez through the middle, we'll be very light on the wings.

I am invisible
10-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Injured for a while, I think (6 games last season, according to wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Draxler)), and then I don't know what happened with him after that? I don't think Shalke had a great season in general last year.

I get the feeling he's a bit like the Ox, in that he's got the talent, but maybe isn't quite getting the headline-grabbing stats to really make anyone other than Shalke fans take notice.

Or maybe he's just been having some of the same problems that Sterling has? Not in terms of making himself look like an ungrateful, badly-advised, spoiled little prick, but he's a young man who's had a lot of speculation following him around for a couple of years now, and it could have affected his form? Or maybe Shalke have lost a couple of key players or something that has destabilized their whole attack (like Liverpool with Suarez), and everyone in the side has suffered for it? I haven't really paid attention to them since the Draxler links cooled, so I'm just speculating here...

Power n Glory
10-07-2015, 09:20 AM
I forgot about Sterling. Ignoring bad press, he'd be a good addition. Talented player.

I am invisible
10-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Let's hope that's a possibility. If we are thinking about playing Walcott or Sanchez through the middle, we'll be very light on the wings.

I suppose there is another, less direct solution there for us... Ozil and Cazorla can both play either wing, as can Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck, etc, so if whoever we're picking as our no.10 and CF can drift wide when needed, then we might be able to get away with fielding a couple of more centrally-minded attacking midfielders (e.g. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ox) in those wide attack areas? I'd imagine it working a little something like the way Henry used to drift out to the flanks, and Pires and Ljungberg would cut into the middle.

Of course, we'd also need a couple of attack-minded fullbacks to get up and down the lines, providing support and add extra width, but we alredy have Bellerin doing a cracking job of that down the right, and (in spite of Nacho's excellent form) I've seen us linked with 2 or 3 left-backs so far this summer (Faouzi Ghoulam at Napoli, Baba Rahman at Augsburg, and I'm sure there was someone else), so it might be something we're looking at?

Whatever we end up doing though, we're going to need a quality addition somewhere across the attacking third - either an out-and-out CF, a replacement winger (to free up our current wide forwards to play as the striker), or another goal-scoring attacking midfielder (to beef up our numbers, if we go with the above workaround)...

KSE Comedy Club
10-07-2015, 11:08 AM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/jimihifi/5D33B4DA-D2DA-4C94-B4C3-241D4CB660C9_zpsgtzwzcxe.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jimihifi/media/5D33B4DA-D2DA-4C94-B4C3-241D4CB660C9_zpsgtzwzcxe.jpg.html)

fakeyank
10-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Has Theo even signed an extension? He could piss off this transfer window in a heartbeat!

Marc Overmars
10-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Delph to Man City. :lol:

Gooner23
10-07-2015, 05:39 PM

:haha:

The next Rodwell.

AFC Leveller
10-07-2015, 05:45 PM

his career wasnt going anywhere fast at Villa, he gets the opportunity to double his wages and travel to big european stadiums while warming the bench/stands and on two years time, when he is 27, sunderland will buy him for 10m.

Niall_Quinn
10-07-2015, 06:03 PM

What a twat. Surely he can figure out they have signed him to fill the homegrown quota?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
10-07-2015, 06:14 PM
pound shop Paul Pogba

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-07-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what he says later on in retirement years because he did once say this.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/02/21/2362037/robin-van-persie-i-want-to-win-trophies-with-arsenal

It's something he can only answer. Circumstances change and a year ago, I'd agree with you about him having no regrets. But his Utd career has really been railroaded. Fergie retiring hit him the hardest according to Rio and it's been a downward spiral since. I don't know if that one season will be enough for him to go down as a Utd fan favorite. And what if we actually win the league in the coming season? A big if, but I can't imagine that not having an effect on how he reflects on things.

I can totally understand why he wanted to go and I blame the club for not standing strong and I can't understand why they didn't say we'd had new funds coming in. But watching RVP celebrate after scoring against us really turned the tide for me. It's like he's forgotten what we've done for him and how we stood by him. Utd were quick to get rid of him in comparison. Call me bitter, but I hope he feels regret. Those comments about the 'little boy' and the bravado displayed on the pitch....pissed me off more than any other former player that has left us.
I think that if the words about his affection for us hold weight, he would regret his decision in any case...even if he had won 2/3 league titles with them....but as we know, footballers can be just as fickle as glory hunting fans can.

You're right, only he will really know but I think that something changed in him ever since he issued that infamous statement. I think at a human level he will feel somewhat conflicted in time, but I wouldn't go as far as regret. He is far too head strong and stubborn a character from what I perceive and will see even the solitary PL title as vindication.

What about that Barca lad we were being linked with - Munir, was it? Seems to be in the same boat as Pedro over there - can't get near the starting XI if the usual front 3 are fit, and is chaffing for game time. I keep hearing about how highly they rate him over there, and don't want to let him go, etc, but I seem to remember them going through the same song and dance Alcantara a couple of summers back, and he ended up going to Bryan?

:d

Alright mate, long time no see!

I don't know much about this Munir.....but what we do know is that Barca are always interested in the top world talent. Their ego as a club and desire for the Hollywood razmataz will mean even some of their more talented academy players will slip the net. Deep down they probably know that and that is why Cesc ended up with us in part.

If this Muniz is the next best thing....then hey....test the water I say....

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-07-2015, 07:25 PM
his career wasnt going anywhere fast at Villa, he gets the opportunity to double his wages and travel to big european stadiums while warming the bench/stands and on two years time, when he is 27, sunderland will buy him for 10m.

Burn this Soothsayer!

I know you rated Cabaye highly mate, reckon we should have made a move?

milla
10-07-2015, 09:13 PM
I think that if the words about his affection for us hold weight, he would regret his decision in any case...even if he had won 2/3 league titles with them....but as we know, footballers can be just as fickle as glory hunting fans can.

You're right, only he will really know but I think that something changed in him ever since he issued that infamous statement. I think at a human level he will feel somewhat conflicted in time, but I wouldn't go as far as regret. He is far too head strong and stubborn a character from what I perceive and will see even the solitary PL title as vindication.

I don't know much about this Munir.....but what we do know is that Barca are always interested in the top world talent. Their ego as a club and desire for the Hollywood razmataz will mean even some of their more talented academy players will slip the net. Deep down they probably know that and that is why Cesc ended up with us in part.

Munir = RVP with Theo's rapid pace. Maybe not as fast as Theo but still very fast. Would take him in heart beat :coffee:

AFC Leveller
10-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Burn this Soothsayer!

I know you rated Cabaye highly mate, reckon we should have made a move?

I think Cabaye is a top CM, one of the few who gets goals from CM at a regular rate. When he was at Newcastle, i would have taken him ahead of Ramsay but not too sure right now, he is 30 (or soon to be) and has wasted too much time on the bench to get that sharpness back quickly.

Good signing for Palace though, suprised noone else was on for him.

AFC Leveller
10-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Munir = RVP with Theo's rapid pace. Maybe not as fast as Theo but still very fast. Would take him in heart beat :coffee:

Munir is a replica of Podolski, lethal left foot and a good finisher but does nothing else. He doesnt get involved as much as he should, relies too much on his left peg and not what we need IMO.

fakeyank
11-07-2015, 05:29 AM
Munir looks like a d-bag..

Marc Overmars
11-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Schweinsteiger to United. :o

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33491718

Thierrymon
11-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Great signing. Does that mean they no longer want Schneiderlin?

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2015, 09:29 AM

:doh: Another one of our players going to Utd.

Maestro
11-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Wijnaldum signs for Newcastle, ver good player too bad about the club he's going to

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I hope we're going to continue the Ozil, Alexis trend this summer. Cech is a good goalkeeper and all but he's not the huge sign of intent and ambition we need to see. Couple more pieces needed, what we don't need is to end up short, 2% away. Been there, done that.

Marc Overmars
11-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ · 4m4 minutes ago
BREAKING: Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms agreement in place with Man Utd for transfer of Bastian Schweinsteiger

Master Splinter
11-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Hope the genius LVG re-converts him into a winger.

Niall_Quinn
11-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Hope the genius LVG re-converts him into a winger.

He's probably signed him as backup for their star man Fellaini.

Globalgunner
11-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Or keep him on the bench watching the maestro Michael Carrick in action.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Fuhk.

Quality player and will significantly improve them.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-07-2015, 03:02 PM
He'll be injured most of the season I reckon.

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Now he's staying :lol:

Maybe he does have an ounce of sense after all.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-07-2015, 04:59 PM
He'll be 31 once the season starts, had a slightly dodgy injury plagued season last year and most likely will need at least a year to adjust to the PL by which time his legs will start going further.

He's come for one last pay day and Man Utd are silly enough to give him one. Schniderlin would have been the better choice. It's going to be a similar situation to RVP in a couple of years for them as they'll struggle to shift him as no one will be prepared to play the astronomical wages he'd be on.

Not afraid at all about this move.

GP
11-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Me either.

Five years ago, sure. Not now.

milla
11-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Speaking of Munich, would love if Gadis could bring Thomas Muller to Arsenal. :coffee:

Gooner23
11-07-2015, 05:48 PM
He'll be 31 once the season starts, had a slightly dodgy injury plagued season last year and most likely will need at least a year to adjust to the PL by which time his legs will start going further.

He's come for one last pay day and Man Utd are silly enough to give him one. Schniderlin would have been the better choice. It's going to be a similar situation to RVP in a couple of years for them as they'll struggle to shift him as no one will be prepared to play the astronomical wages he'd be on.

Not afraid at all about this move.

Thats what I was thinking as well. It could work out well but definitely a gamble.

I am invisible
11-07-2015, 10:59 PM

Alright sunshine! Yeah, it's been a while - needed to step away from football for a bit to break my addiction to it. I've been keeping an eye on you lot though - just haven't been posting. But who can resist to transfer window!

To be honest, all I know about this Barca kid is that he's a highly rated young forward at a big club, and we've been loosely linked with him. Not really sure who else to suggest who might be 'the next big thing'? Maybe we should just go back to the old plan of following Porto and Athletico's striking scouts around?

Marc Overmars
11-07-2015, 11:33 PM
Iker Casillas to join Porto.

Surely that means De Gea is Madrid bound.

Bumble
12-07-2015, 02:59 AM
Think this is the worst transfer rumour ever. Sundayb mirror linking us with a 10m bid for Jonny Evans. Utter joke.

I am invisible
12-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Lacazette has apparently 'favourited' some 'tweet' from some nobody that links to some article that says that Wenger wants to take advantage of his contract talk breakdown with Lyon. Read into that what you will - might mean little more than the player hopes that our interest is true? Or it could all be a big, fat, photoshopped lie - probably that.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/lacazette-drops-twitter-hint-that-he-fancies-arsenal-move-and-lik

Looks like a good fit for us though - Young, quick, mobile, scores lots of goals, can play anywhere across the front 3... if he's down to his last year, and available for a reasonable fee (by today's standards) then I'd be surprised if Wenger wasn't at least mildly interested?

I am invisible
12-07-2015, 11:25 AM

Does this take them out of the market for other CMs then, or are they going for a complete overhaul?

Penguin
12-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Yep, that pretty much signals the end of their interest in Schneiderlin. Our chance to swoop in?

Marc Overmars
12-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Liverpool in "advanced talks" with City over Sterling. :yawn:

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Paul Joyce, who seems to have have been fairly reliable on this story amongst others, reckons it will be £45m+ he will get around £200k/week :wacko:

Munchies
12-07-2015, 01:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJt6U3EWEAEIr8F.jpg

cunt :wave:

GP
12-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Is that his girlfriend?

And her mum.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Paul Joyce, who seems to have have been fairly reliable on this story amongst others, reckons it will be £45m+ he will get around £200k/week :wacko:

£44m+5m in potential addons accepted.

Again, :wacko:

GP
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Ridiculous

Maestro
12-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Daylight robbery for a prat (to say the least) like Sterling, City really are mugs

:haha:

Bumble
12-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Fair play to Liverpool though for getting that much money for a 20yo who wanted to leave anyway. I do wish though that one club one day goes no we will not sell you because you just want to leave and play them in the reserves or not at all. Especially if its Euros or WC year. Players have too much power and too much money. They need to scrap the Champions League because all footballers think that is the be all and end all of everything.

Had we been interested I still reckon he would have moved to us instead of City regardless of the stupid money on offer. I am sure City have very comfy substitute benches though

Maestro
12-07-2015, 06:45 PM
True, great business by Liverpool, just glad he's not coming to us. One of the most hyped up and overrated young players around, hope City insist on playing him. Really just do not rate the boy.

Niall_Quinn
12-07-2015, 06:58 PM
True, great business by Liverpool, just glad he's not coming to us. One of the most hyped up and overrated young players around, hope City insist on playing him. Really just do not rate the boy.

Same here. One good season under Suarez's wing. Absolute shite last season, for Liverpool and England. But he's a media darling so the fee gets bumped by £30mill. He's probably slightly better than Navas though, so the gypos will improve a little bit.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Man City are absolute lunatics.

Niall_Quinn
12-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Man City are absolute lunatics.

FFP works very well indeed. You break the rules, you get a slap, the following year you get to do it all again. Arabs and their gangster lawyers - hard to refuse the offers they make.

Niall_Quinn
12-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Utd still chasing Schneiderlin apparently. Looks like they are serious about fixing that comical midfield of theirs.

I hope we are planning to stay in touch rather than attempting to coast on what we have.

Munchies
12-07-2015, 09:44 PM
... and United have now signed Schneiderlin

https://twitter.com/CraigNorwood/status/620345749428117504

:blink:

Marc Overmars
12-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Bonkers price but not really surprising anymore. He's an exceptional talent but I'm not really convinced City is the right move for him. Hardly fertile ground for young players to develop and take their game to the next level.

AFC Leveller
12-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Bonkers price but not really surprising anymore. He's an exceptional talent but I'm not really convinced City is the right move for him. Hardly fertile ground for young players to develop and take their game to the next level.

Yeah he seems to have been brainwashed by his cunt agent and just wants to earn as much as possible while he still can.

Man ure have now signed two really good CMS, I can see them pushing Chelsea closely next season, they look strong already.

selassie
12-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Yeah he seems to have been brainwashed by his cunt agent and just wants to earn as much as possible while he still can.

Man ure have now signed two really good CMS, I can see them pushing Chelsea closely next season, they look strong already.

I think Man Ure might do well in CL next season, they look to have pretty much sorted out their midfield. Still question marks over their defence but they will buy, they always do. I think the title race is going to be wide open next season, can't really see an obvious favourite at the moment.

fakeyank
13-07-2015, 02:09 AM
We should still go in for Wanayama. He and Coq in the middle will be a great combination for those tough away games.. please make it happen! :pray:

I am invisible
13-07-2015, 08:29 AM
We should still go in for Wanayama. He and Coq in the middle will be a great combination for those tough away games.. please make it happen! :pray:

What are the chances if they're letting Schneiderlin go though? Could be a tough deal to get done now...

Marc Overmars
13-07-2015, 09:45 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33502604

Schneiderlin has his medical.

2 annoyingly good signings for them this weekend. Come on WUMger, how about upgrading our centre midfield?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Think Schneiderlin was tailor made for us, unfortunately Wenger doesn't have the balls to get rid of Arteta and Flamini

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Lot of rumours about us signing Callejon rather than Higuain from Napoli, which would buy into the interchangeable front three that I believe Wenger will use next season.

Globalgunner
13-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Think Schneiderlin was tailor made for us, unfortunately Wenger doesn't have the balls to get rid of Arteta and Flamini

Wenger still believes his tactical acumen can make up for deficiencies in the quality of his players. Never fear, Arsene is here.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 10:33 AM
I just think it's more to do with trying to avoid a possible confrontation with his squad, he lacks in ruthlessness at times....surprised he did it by bringing Cech in to be honest.
That and he doesn't really like defensive midfielders.

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Well we're just about ready to head off on the first pre-season tour. It would have been a huge advantage to have our business done by now so any new players could get acclimatised. That's if we have any plans to sign new players. I know we have Cech and that's a good upgrade but this 10-15 points business is nonsense. It's top quality up front that will add the points to the board.

Not too bothered about the mancs signing Bastien. He's getting on a bit now and he'll get a surprise when a pack of GHELs start kicking lumps out of him. It'll probably take him a year to settle in. Great player and they desperately needed some decent midfielders but they are still afflicted with that twat Rooney up front. As long as they keep buying into the Rooney myth then they'll be sufficiently handicapped. Mind you, with RvC on his way out it wouldn't surprise me if they splash £50mill on a quality replacement - or are they going with Fellaini up top again :haha:

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I just think it's more to do with trying to avoid a possible confrontation with his squad, he lacks in ruthlessness at times....surprised he did it by bringing Cech in to be honest.

Maybe not, but he surely loves the greatest midfield general to have ever played in the PL, Patrick Vieira.

Cech - Kos - New bastard in the middle (we know who that is) - New and deadly option up top = success. Alexis and Theo/ Ox wide, Ozil in behind. Giroud, Jack, Ramsey, Santi and Coq as options. Good squad that. We'd compete for sure. This is the season to push on, not take a pause. I hope the manager has it in him to go for it. We'll see over the next few weeks.

Munchies
13-07-2015, 12:05 PM
United are forming a pretty good side.

They'll spend big on a striker, and are also heavily linked with Otamendi from Valencia.

All 3 deals done:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJypkkDWwAAfYML.jpg

topgun
13-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Well we're just about ready to head off on the first pre-season tour. It would have been a huge advantage to have our business done by now so any new players could get acclimatised. That's if we have any plans to sign new players. I know we have Cech and that's a good upgrade but this 10-15 points business is nonsense. It's top quality up front that will add the points to the board.

Not too bothered about the mancs signing Bastien. He's getting on a bit now and he'll get a surprise when a pack of GHELs start kicking lumps out of him. It'll probably take him a year to settle in. Great player and they desperately needed some decent midfielders but they are still afflicted with that twat Rooney up front. As long as they keep buying into the Rooney myth then they'll be sufficiently handicapped. Mind you, with RvC on his way out it wouldn't surprise me if they splash £50mill on a quality replacement - or are they going with Fellaini up top again :haha:

Don't be surprised if we have done our business for this summer,would not be surprised if Wenger reverts to type and spends the money like its his own.

selassie
13-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Yeah I agree with this. Central Midfield is full of Wenger "Projects" and "Favourites", I'd be extremely surprised if he made any signings there, nobody externally will shift him away from shoe-horning in the likes of Ramsey, Jack etc.

I think upfront we're set in his mind too....what with Giroud, Theo & Welbeck occupying the spaces...

The only position I can see us spending, and not necessarily a lot is Left-Back, we seem to be linked with a new one every week, and possibly Centre-Back.

Basically any new signing will look to be opportunist IMO.

If it was me and I wanted to do everything in my power to improve the team then I would look to buy/upgrade on a striker, dm and centre half, I would spend whatever it takes too.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 01:17 PM
That's always been the problem of one man having too much control over every facet of the club.

selassie
13-07-2015, 01:55 PM
That's always been the problem of one man having too much control over every facet of the club.

Sure is.

AFC Leveller
13-07-2015, 02:21 PM
One of the factors to take into consideration is that Coquelin has just had a major breakthrough and was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the last 6 months of last season and the last thing Wenger was gonna do was sign a DCM, esp one a similar age to le Coq (Schneiderlin).

Globalgunner
13-07-2015, 02:29 PM
One of the factors to take into consideration is that Coquelin has just had a major breakthrough and was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the last 6 months of last season and the last thing Wenger was gonna do was sign a DCM, esp one a similar age to le Coq (Schneiderlin).

Wenger logic. I agree still doesnt make much sense. Coq cannot play 60 games a year and besides, competition improves the breed or so they say

GP
13-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Chelsea have signed Begovic from Stoke...

:doh:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Also there are games where actually playing two holding midfielders behind a playmaker is helpful

Games like Chelsea at Stamford bridge where we make the middle of the park as congested as possible.

Globalgunner
13-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Chelsea have signed Begovic from Stoke...

:doh:

Supreme lack of ambition from Begovic there. Doubling his salary to sit on the bench. Who wouldnt?

dostoy
13-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Wenger has said today that 'we have many offensive players'

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/video/24811/9911777/wengers-verdict-on-big-deals

You may not be able to play the video but believe me thats what he said.

I doubt he will sign a striker.

topgun
13-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Wenger has said today that 'we have many offensive players'

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/video/24811/9911777/wengers-verdict-on-big-deals

You may not be able to play the video but believe me thats what he said.

I doubt he will sign a striker.

Watched this on sky earlier,got the distinct impression we won't be signing any midfield or forward players,really hope i'm wrong though.Looks like being another frustrating transfer window for AFC supporters.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 03:25 PM
He was asked about whether players like Sterling, Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger were players he was interested in and he said offensively we have many players, so obviously he sees Schneiderlin as a creative midfielder as well.

I think more or less he was just ruling out attack minded midfielders/playmakers

AFC Leveller
13-07-2015, 03:33 PM
By today's crazy transfers, 40m for Scheinsteiger and Schneiderlin is extremly good business.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 03:45 PM
By today's crazy transfers, 40m for Scheinsteiger and Schneiderlin is extremly good business.

Yeah was thinking that myself.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-07-2015, 04:09 PM
I imagine Schweinsteiger will be on ridicolous wages because of his reputation (200k), but in terms of transfer fees they've done well especially after cocking up badly last year (63 million on Di Maria :lol:)

Impressive that they've kept Schniderlin to around the 25 million mark which what I expected the minimum for him to be. I suppose it indicates that we weren't seriously interested which hurt Southampton's chances of getting top dollar for him.

Got to admit I'm starting to get slightly concerned by the Mancs. Schweinsteiger I could deal with but both him and Schniderlin? That's there midfield sorted out. Another CB and a striker and I think they could be favourites.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Favourites? I wouldn't go that far....Chelsea are still the favourites because they have the most settled team....plus like with us and Wenger they have the drag factor of Van Gaal who has the same pre historic view when it comes to player fitness, coaching and match tactics.
There is a strong possibility that they will finish above us, if we fail to strengthen because we have a manager with a wait and see attitude to player recruitment.
But for me they actually need more than one striker, you clearly could tell that with the rapist crocked and Falcao just not cutting it they really lacked goals (especially away from Old Trafford).
They have massively strengthened as was expected when they signed that multi million kit sponsorship with Addidas that blew our Puma deal out of the water, but remains to be seen whether that Dutch weirdo can turn them into title winners.

dostoy
13-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Wenger said that we have many offensive players not we have too many offensive midfielders.

I very much doubt he will sign a striker.

I wonder if we will sign anyone else this summer.

We all know by now what Wenger is like.

Maestro
13-07-2015, 05:33 PM
So Ranieri is back in the PL, will be fun.

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2015, 05:35 PM
All depends if we want to compete for the title and make a go of the CL. If we want to do that then we'll sign a top quality midfielder and a ruthless striker. If we don't want to do that, if 3rd or 4th is the limit of our ambitions (for the coming season at least), then we are already sorted. We're too strong for all bar the manc clubs and the chavs. But the squad we have now is missing some vital pieces that will prevent us making a serious challenge for major honours. Then again, you do get weird seasons (like when Liverpool almost won it), so we have enough to nick a bigger trophy if all the cards fall in our favour. But even under such unlikely circumstances, going on to retain it would be pushing it beyond all probability. We definitely need to get the chequebook out. Ten years waiting to emerge from that financial coma, there's no justification for going back to sleep now.

Maestro
13-07-2015, 05:49 PM
If Wenget does not sign quality in the obvious areas we are lacking, then he'll deserve all the flack that comes his way. He needs to get a move on, his managerial nous is now questionable and he desperately needs quality players and squad all round to make up for his obvious limitations when it comes to gunning for the league and CL.

It's the big trophies we're after or should seriously be after, we've had enough learning from our relative poverty of bygone years, injuries, managers mistakes etc ....no more excuses and I think a lot of fans will let him have it, if he does not do his best to put us in a strongly challenging position.

Come on Wenget, one more real go for old times sake before this shit turns sour.

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Jenks gets a new 5 year deal but he'll still go on loan to West Ham this season.

The chavs are after Pedro so we can rule him out as an option.

Niall_Quinn
13-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Khedira's move to Juve is complete. So now it is time for us to move for Vidal. Isn't it?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Jenks gets a new 5 year deal but he'll still go on loan to West Ham this season.

The chavs are after Pedro so we can rule him out as an option.

interesting, looks like we want to keep him long term....i think he's good but not that good, i'd take the money for him now from the Hammers.

Xhaka Can’t
13-07-2015, 10:25 PM
I think our strategy is to make one marquee signing per season now. As much as Cech is an upgrade, I doubt he is being classed as marquee even by Wenger. So I remain hopeful that we'll sign a striker. If we don't, it could be a struggle to finish better than 4th.

Dein-machine
14-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Same old Wenger I'm afraid - builds up a bit of momentum with a signing like Sanchez but then has no idea on how to build on it. I doubt he is actively looking for anyone else now even though we are all aware that we still have glaring weakness's in the squad. Injury to Kos will leave us with one slow CB & an inexperienced CB - not good enough. Injury to Coq leaves us with Arteta trying to fill a role that he can't do - not good enough. Still no clinical striker at the club since RVP left - not good enough.
If we don't get Carvalho then we have missed a trick with Schneiderlein. Better final ball & assists than Coq & we could play the 2 of them in the tougher games. Also would have kept him away from the Mancs. Its no good Wenger keep saying "if we find quality we will buy" - he's missing out on quality that our competitors are snapping up & he does it every year.

selassie
14-07-2015, 09:05 AM
All depends if we want to compete for the title and make a go of the CL. If we want to do that then we'll sign a top quality midfielder and a ruthless striker. If we don't want to do that, if 3rd or 4th is the limit of our ambitions (for the coming season at least), then we are already sorted. We're too strong for all bar the manc clubs and the chavs. But the squad we have now is missing some vital pieces that will prevent us making a serious challenge for major honours. Then again, you do get weird seasons (like when Liverpool almost won it), so we have enough to nick a bigger trophy if all the cards fall in our favour. But even under such unlikely circumstances, going on to retain it would be pushing it beyond all probability. We definitely need to get the chequebook out. Ten years waiting to emerge from that financial coma, there's no justification for going back to sleep now.

:gp:

Yep that's my take on it too. As it stands Wenger has done enough to cement us top 4 football, if we want to really stake a claim then we will need to buy.

Japan Shaking All Over
14-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Same old Wenger I'm afraid - builds up a bit of momentum with a signing like Sanchez but then has no idea on how to build on it. I doubt he is actively looking for anyone else now even though we are all aware that we still have glaring weakness's in the squad. Injury to Kos will leave us with one slow CB & an inexperienced CB - not good enough. Injury to Coq leaves us with Arteta trying to fill a role that he can't do - not good enough. Still no clinical striker at the club since RVP left - not good enough.
If we don't get Carvalho then we have missed a trick with Schneiderlein. Better final ball & assists than Coq & we could play the 2 of them in the tougher games. Also would have kept him away from the Mancs. Its no good Wenger keep saying "if we find quality we will buy" - he's missing out on quality that our competitors are snapping up & he does it every year.

I pretty much agree with that......we have issued the boat again with Morgan! and the guy would have come to us too.....none of this Man U are the only club I would have signed German shit! 25mil? No brainer. We need another strong DM that can also play football and I think Morgan was the best to be had.

Carvalho had a good U21 so maybe he could help us out.....will we get him? Your guess is as good as mine

GP
14-07-2015, 11:12 AM
If we'd signed him, what do we do? Bench Coquelin?

There might be a few games where we'd want to play with 2 DMs but not often.
It's not as simple as you'd think.

Unai Tea
14-07-2015, 11:19 AM

You let them compete, bring out the best in both; you have cover for injury and can change the complexion of a game by playing to proper DMs.

GP
14-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Sure but this isn't football manager. You need to pick your first choice and play him, let him build momentum. You can't just chop and change.

Power n Glory
14-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Sure but this isn't football manager. You need to pick your first choice and play him, let him build momentum. You can't just chop and change.

Exactly my thoughts. Two peak players competing for one spot can be counter productive. Especially when one is full of confidence and playinh well then he's having to look over his shoulder because of a new signing. It's the stock piling problem City and Chelsea sometimes have. End up with an expensive insecure player on the bench that's useless.

Unai Tea
14-07-2015, 12:20 PM

I don't play football manager. Just basing this on my own involvement in sport. Sport thrives on competition and having another guy there is positive. There will be (or should be) roughly 75 games for a proper DM. I think the squad can cope with having two of them. And I agree, one of the two will emerge as the billy big bollox and he can play 45-50 of those matches, the other can pick up the rest. If he doesn't like it, he can get better.

Kano
14-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Yep that's my take on it too. As it stands Wenger has done enough to cement us top 4 football, if we want to really stake a claim then we will need to buy.

We're definitely not buying a CM, no way, not with all the players we have there and the way Wenger has always shoehorned players into position.

Walcott is more likely to be our new striker than buying anyone new in, as I think that will be key to him signing a new contract.

Unai Tea
14-07-2015, 12:41 PM
We're definitely not buying a CM, no way, not with all the players we have there and the way Wenger has always shoehorned players into position.

Walcott is more likely to be our new striker than buying anyone new in, as I think that will be key to him signing a new contract.

I agree. I don't think we're buying a CM nor a striker, and yeah, part of that might be tied to Walcott and binding him to a new contract.

I think we should get another proper DM, but I have very little hope that we'll do so. Maybe that young Polish chap will step up.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Wenger has to start using his squad intelligently. How many times have we heard the "little bit sharpness, dropped a little bit, tired from the midweek game" lines?

A club like Arsenal should be a genuine contender for the PL and the CL. Really we should. We were up at the top level nationally for a short period but even before the stadium move we were starting to dip, as evidenced in that dire 2005 cup final. The writing was on the wall for that squad but Wenger didn't react. He didn't replace the back four properly (remember the Stepanovs, Silvestre, Cygan bullshit?), he didn't replace Vieira (okay we got unlucky with Diaby but look how long he persisted with that), he dumped everything on the shoulders of Henry and after that a kid called Fabregas. Then he looked to RvC and now he looks at Ozil and Alexis.

Yes, a manager has to have go-to guys he can rely on, but these players can't carry the whole load for an entire season. Maybe that's one of the reasons RvC ran away, one season with the entire club team on his shoulders was enough. You tell him some midfielder with a broken back is being signed and there goes the proverbial straw. Is Ozil here to carry the team? Is Alexis? They are good natured about it now but let's see what happens in the future of Wenger does his thing and dumps it all on them to deliver at the top level against rivals that are constantly adding quality to their squad depth.

It's not as simple as any of us think, that's true. But Wenger loves a simple option if his track record is anything to go by. It is simple to go with Coquelin for 60 odd games next season, if the player maintains his form, if he can stand the pace, if he doesn't get injured for 6 months, if, if. You can then say you've given the kid every chance to develop and claim his starting place. But what if one of those 'ifs' don't work out? Then where is the depth? The simple option leaves you only excuses when it doesn't pan out and we've heard them all before.

It's never a bad thing to add depth and it's a sensible thing to utilise 20 players across a rigorous season rather than pin everything on 11 and hope they are standing at the end of it. We saw the pace the chavs can set last season. We can't afford a bad start or a collapsing finish or a lull in the form of one of our key men. We need options so we can sustain a challenge across the span of the entire season in all competitions.

Not only that, football is about psychology too. What do you think that atmosphere at Utd is as they see new and better players walk through the door. It gives everyone confidence and expectations rise. Utd have done the right thing. Maybe they won't be able to play both their new midfielders in every game, sometimes the system won't warrant it, other times there will be injuries and suspensions. But they stand a much better chance of keeping at least one decent midfielder on the pitch than they have in previous seasons.

Fact is, Wenger should have his business done by now and the new arrivals should be heading out to Singapore with the rest of the squad. That's how you raise morale and ambitions sky high. Instead we wait and see. Maybe we will do something if top, top, top talent comes along. Well top, top, top talent is already moving backwards and forwards across Europe and no sign of us sniffing around. If we are keeping our cards to our chest, fine, sort of, because I still think we should have had things wrapped up by now. But if we are fucking around and doing the window shopping routine we though was behind us then fuck that.

Wenger said today Alexis will not start the season. He'll miss the game at Wembley and the first match against West Ham. Ox seems to be perpetually crocked. But we still have good cover in that area of the pitch. Let's hope Kos and Coquelin stay fit though, because if Wenger is happy with us pinning 60 games on those guys again it'll be a real challenge for them to stay on the pitch.

GP
14-07-2015, 12:47 PM
We're buying Marco Reus.

Nailed on.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2015, 12:51 PM
We're buying Marco Reus.

Nailed on.

It wouldn't surprise me. We could do with a CB or DM and most certainly a striker, so Reus would be an obvious Wenger choice.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Bayern would demand £35mill for Lewandowski, apparently. He'd do, wouldn't he?

Looks like Di Maria is off to PSG with Utd taking a big financial hit.

GP
14-07-2015, 01:17 PM
I'd take Lewandowski.

He'd be decent backup to Giroud.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2015, 01:23 PM
'I don't close the door if we find a player who can strengthen the squad,' said the Arsenal boss. 'We have strengthened already, but I believe part of the success is the level of cohesion. We have a good level of cohesion.

'We moved forward in the second part of the season, and that winning the FA Cup gave something to the team. On the day you cannot fail, you have to turn up and win. To turn up on the day and be capable when trophies are there improves the confidence of the team.

'What is important for myself and the squad is to see how we can carry on and move forward again. But it is still not enough. We have to move forward together, which for me is more important than dreaming about finding a miraculous player who wins you everything.

'We have the quality and it's about how much we can be stronger together.'

Is that what strengthening a squad is about -"finding a miraculous player who wins you everything"? And are we seriously using the FA Cup as a measure of our capability to compete with the top teams in Europe? And isn't it taken for granted the squad moves forward together? Is this automatically the opportunity cost of dipping into the transfer market?

If the manager isn't throwing a smokescreen here then it sounds like our summer is done and dusted. In which case, it will be an intersting battle with Utd for 3rd. But not an inspiring one.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I'd take Lewandowski.

He'd be decent backup to Giroud.

And vice versa. Nobody is saying you have to throw Giroud and Coquelin out because you sign cover and alternatives.

Injury Time
14-07-2015, 01:33 PM
And vice versa. Nobody is saying you have to throw Giroud and Coquelin out because you sign cover and alternatives.

>>>Insert Wenger killing their development quote here<<<<

I am invisible
14-07-2015, 01:40 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. We could do with a CB or DM and most certainly a striker, so Reus would be an obvious Wenger choice.

We could make it work - between him, Sanchez and Walcott, I'm sure one of them could play through the middle, if we asked them to. Or we could just have bring him in as a second Sanchez to play on the other side of a target-man? When both your wide forwards can bang in 20+ goals a season, then we could probably get away with less-prolific CF options like Giroud and Welbeck?

I am invisible
14-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Bayern would demand £35mill for Lewandowski, apparently. He'd do, wouldn't he?

Looks like Di Maria is off to PSG with Utd taking a big financial hit.

He'd do as well - sign him up!

fakeyank
14-07-2015, 02:55 PM
I don't play football manager. Just basing this on my own involvement in sport. Sport thrives on competition and having another guy there is positive. There will be (or should be) roughly 75 games for a proper DM. I think the squad can cope with having two of them. And I agree, one of the two will emerge as the billy big bollox and he can play 45-50 of those matches, the other can pick up the rest. If he doesn't like it, he can get better.

With our injury record, we should actually sign two DM's..

I am invisible
14-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Carvalho has fractured his leg and is out for 3 months, so I guess we can forget about that one...

Maestro
14-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Wenger has to start using his squad intelligently. How many times have we heard the "little bit sharpness, dropped a little bit, tired from the midweek game" lines?

A club like Arsenal should be a genuine contender for the PL and the CL. Really we should. We were up at the top level nationally for a short period but even before the stadium move we were starting to dip, as evidenced in that dire 2005 cup final. The writing was on the wall for that squad but Wenger didn't react. He didn't replace the back four properly (remember the Stepanovs, Silvestre, Cygan bullshit?), he didn't replace Vieira (okay we got unlucky with Diaby but look how long he persisted with that), he dumped everything on the shoulders of Henry and after that a kid called Fabregas. Then he looked to RvC and now he looks at Ozil and Alexis.

Yes, a manager has to have go-to guys he can rely on, but these players can't carry the whole load for an entire season. Maybe that's one of the reasons RvC ran away, one season with the entire club team on his shoulders was enough. You tell him some midfielder with a broken back is being signed and there goes the proverbial straw. Is Ozil here to carry the team? Is Alexis? They are good natured about it now but let's see what happens in the future of Wenger does his thing and dumps it all on them to deliver at the top level against rivals that are constantly adding quality to their squad depth.

It's not as simple as any of us think, that's true. But Wenger loves a simple option if his track record is anything to go by. It is simple to go with Coquelin for 60 odd games next season, if the player maintains his form, if he can stand the pace, if he doesn't get injured for 6 months, if, if. You can then say you've given the kid every chance to develop and claim his starting place. But what if one of those 'ifs' don't work out? Then where is the depth? The simple option leaves you only excuses when it doesn't pan out and we've heard them all before.

It's never a bad thing to add depth and it's a sensible thing to utilise 20 players across a rigorous season rather than pin everything on 11 and hope they are standing at the end of it. We saw the pace the chavs can set last season. We can't afford a bad start or a collapsing finish or a lull in the form of one of our key men. We need options so we can sustain a challenge across the span of the entire season in all competitions.

Not only that, football is about psychology too. What do you think that atmosphere at Utd is as they see new and better players walk through the door. It gives everyone confidence and expectations rise. Utd have done the right thing. Maybe they won't be able to play both their new midfielders in every game, sometimes the system won't warrant it, other times there will be injuries and suspensions. But they stand a much better chance of keeping at least one decent midfielder on the pitch than they have in previous seasons.

Fact is, Wenger should have his business done by now and the new arrivals should be heading out to Singapore with the rest of the squad. That's how you raise morale and ambitions sky high. Instead we wait and see. Maybe we will do something if top, top, top talent comes along. Well top, top, top talent is already moving backwards and forwards across Europe and no sign of us sniffing around. If we are keeping our cards to our chest, fine, sort of, because I still think we should have had things wrapped up by now. But if we are fucking around and doing the window shopping routine we though was behind us then fuck that.

Wenger said today Alexis will not start the season. He'll miss the game at Wembley and the first match against West Ham. Ox seems to be perpetually crocked. But we still have good cover in that area of the pitch. Let's hope Kos and Coquelin stay fit though, because if Wenger is happy with us pinning 60 games on those guys again it'll be a real challenge for them to stay on the pitch.

Fantastic post, and this is what any top club with ambition does to ensure they are challenging and top of the tree.

Agree with every point you make there NQ, and find it hard to have any reasonable football/debate conversation with anyone who can't see this about the Arsenal situation. If Wenget dicks around again this time when we are very well poised to improve our squad and really challenge ....then he can go hang as far as I'm concerned. If he's staking our chances on the team as it is to compete right at the top then for his own sake I hope it pans out, and his managerial ability will make up the shortfall. Failing that, any reasonable fans being charged the Arsenal prices will have no sympathy on him and quite rightly so.

Maestro
14-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Had to re-post this again, brilliant post.

http://thesalesmaster.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hammer-and-nail-171-hammer-and-nail.jpg

Globalgunner
14-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Carvalho has fractured his leg and is out for 3 months, so I guess we can forget about that one...

All the more reason to buy him. 50% discount. I think we should also consider Cristoph Kramer from Leverkusen, Speciality DM, right age, right profile, maybe 20M tops. can play offensively too.

fakeyank
14-07-2015, 06:37 PM
I hear Kallstrom and Bischoff are available..

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-07-2015, 07:02 PM
I think it's the common mistake of equating quantity with quality, in terms of player numbers we do have enough but in terms of quality we don't.
For me it's bizarre, Wenger is prepared to be ruthless when it comes to signing a top goalkeeper when we already have two but he won't do it to provide us sufficient defensive midfield cover or a superior striker.

These are not "it would be nice" signings they are essential to a sustained title challenge

Silly Wenger

Penguin
14-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Yep spot on.

The problem is that Wenger never goes into a transfer window with a plan. Last season Mourinho needed a goalscorer and a playmaker and he got Costa and Fabregas. Van Gaal needed to address United's weak midfield and bought Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. Wenger went in the market needing a striker and came back with Ozil.

If his wife sent him out to replace a broken mirror and a shower curtain he'd come back with a box of chocolates and an orange.

Power n Glory
14-07-2015, 07:28 PM
For defensive midfield cover, if we're going to the market, we'd be looking at a Monreal type signing. But considering we have Arteta and Flamini as cover I don't see us signing anyone in that area. You never know, Wenger may try Rosicky or Jack in the DM position. I'm not overly concerned with DM.

My main concern is the fire power up front but as said, I think Wenger will take a look at the squad in training and go to the market late. I think we need a striker or right winger. Ox isn't ready and too injury prone and I don't want to see Welbeck or any CM playing out wide. It's the waiting game. Wenger hinted early that we won't see any major signings and hoping he'll change his mind come pre season training.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-07-2015, 07:36 PM
My question to you would be that in the event that Coquelin gets injured are you happy to see Arteta or Flamini play for any sustained period potentially against the top sides?.

Power n Glory
14-07-2015, 08:23 PM
My question to you would be that in the event that Coquelin gets injured are you happy to see Arteta or Flamini play for any sustained period potentially against the top sides?.

But we can extend that question to many areas of the pitch. If Sanchez gets injured...if Ozil gets injured, Walcott, Cech, Kos......we'll lose something from each of those players that we can't replace on the bench. We just have to hope whoever gets that call to replace them can really up their game. It happens. Most doubted Coquelin could play at this level and now look. We need a strong squad and we need the bench players to really bring their A game. That's how we've always done it. We never have a player on the bench that could replace Henry, Bergkamp or Pires. We had to cope.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-07-2015, 09:01 PM
No I'm sorry I don't buy that, if we lose Ozil we have Cazorla, if we lose Sanchez we have Walcott and Ox....are they exactly the same level? No. But the difference is we could rely on them, Arteta and Flamini are too slow, and we are asking them to cover a position where we know they have been destroyed by the top sides before I think is actually reckless.

Power n Glory
14-07-2015, 10:38 PM
No I'm sorry I don't buy that, if we lose Ozil we have Cazorla, if we lose Sanchez we have Walcott and Ox....are they exactly the same level? No. But the difference is we could rely on them, Arteta and Flamini are too slow, and we are asking them to cover a position where we know they have been destroyed by the top sides before I think is actually reckless.

Ozil, Sanchez, Walcott and Cazorla are all starting line up players. We'd be looking more so at Welbeck, Wilshere, Ramsey and Ox to fill gaps and those guys aren't that reliable in the big games either.

As said, we're not going to spend £20m on DM cover so just get over it. We need more fire power for the first team starters. If Arteta is starting game ahead of Coquelin, i'd see your point but if he's not, this is all a fuss about nothing.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2015, 10:53 PM
I don't completely buy the 'if somebody becomes available line'. I think you have to make players available by showing the colour of your money at times. Then suddenly unavailable becomes available.

As most know, I have no fundamental problem with Arteta but I also have no issue with having 2 top players in each 11 positions. Let the better of the two come to the fore.... There are players around the globe who could seriously push Coquelin and for less than 20 million.

I will accept whatever the manager's decision is on a central midfielder but I think we really need to be adding another devastating attacking player to the fold. Preferably a CF (as Walcott and Alexis are capable of 20 goals) but a wide forward capable of 20+ goals (from a wide position that is) would have a significant impact and take the pressure off Giroud/Welbeck.